Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The worst AC Milan in history?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Danny
http://milanrant.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/th...in-history.html

It's no wonder I've just totally given up on this club.
X-Offender
Good rant. And totally legitimate.

I would also add that beyond the coach and players, it's the mentality of this club that's been completely destroyed. The only solution I can see is bringing a top coach with credentials and at least 3-4 world class players. Only they can bring about the change in mentality. But then again, it's what we should have done this summer. Yet we decided to go for the likes of Romagnoli, Bertolacci, Kucka, Adriano etc. who mind you, are not exactly terrible players, but in the big picture they change absolutely nothing!
Fillipo Simone
That's the only solution? Why not a whole new management? Rivera also got ditched for that kind of path.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 24 2015, 11:12 AM) *
That's the only solution? Why not a whole new management? Rivera also got ditched for that kind of path.

Wouldn't say no to a whole new management, but it's the coach and players in the end that truly matter. I don't see how a new management could change the mentality of the players we have right now.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 24 2015, 11:22 AM) *
Wouldn't say no to a whole new management, but it's the coach and players in the end that truly matter. I don't see how a new management could change the mentality of the players we have right now.

I honestly don't see a lack of work ethic out there. Weirdly enough I do see effort. It's just the system, squad, tactics cannot fit with the formation - the players cannot blend with the system because there isn't one.

Look at Klopp - his Liverpool is in the same mire - two feeble draws against two meh teams - he's a fine coach but at the moment he can't get more out a dismal squad than anyone else can.

Miha isn't even half the manager he is, and has an even WORSE and more imbalanced squad.

Miha, whos hands already lack fingers, has them tied behind his back and a mask over his face. He doesn't have a clue how to fix this - but neither do I.
han2503
Quick question though, how do teams like Samp, for example (it's just one because there are many others) a team managed by our very coach, who have a lot less quality in the squad than we do manage to have great seasons?

I understand that the players are not much to write home about, but the fact is that we have not been able to play like a proper team for years now. Instead of lifting the squad, new players tend to get dragged down with the rest.

For me it's at the very least 70% a mentality issue. The rest is down to quality sure, we don't have a top 3 side.

Personally I think the mentality thing is first and foremost something that the coach must address, and Miha I'm sorry to say, does not seem up to the task. And you can see that he feels like the situation is spiralling when he starts to change tactics and formations and selections each week, it's what Pippo did and what Allegri also did.

And not only does that not solve anything imo, it creates an even worse situation
Fillipo Simone
Han, you surprised me there. Weeks ago I asked about Baselli and the "Baselli's of Serie A" - aka - how is it possible that players like Bertolacci, Baselli, etc. excel at the various Genoas, Atalantas and Torinos. Now you gave me an answer (I'm still not sure it's the right one, but it did resonate) that small-team mentality and surroundings make the difference. That playing at Milan takes a whole new level by itself.

No take that as an answer for your own question.

Also, I'd like to think that Mihajlović didn't do anything special. He finished up 7th, yes, with a small team, nevertheless equipped with some good players. In a weak and unstable Serie A this is enough.
Danny
Small club mentality is a colossal reason why many fail at Milan. The list of players who've had good careers at smaller clubs but duffed with Milan is worth reams of paper.

But it's not the reason our current team is so poor. Our current team is so poor because it's got no balance and is a roughshod mix of players being shoehorned into a system which doesn't fit them.

The transfer policy is heavily to blame, getting in players who don't fit and who weren't needed. And in places aren't very good.

As someone once said, you can't polish a turd.

Fillipo Simone
I think there's a million reasons for our team being a disaster over and over again:

1) It's the management. Without any plan, without a strategy and a developmental path, there's no real substance that can fill out the missing links with coaches, staff and players altogether.

2) Bad coaches. Unproven coaches. Coaches with no real pedigree or achievements that can build up their authority.

3) Lack of a true leader alla Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi.

4) Lack of a star player (not fake, but a true star) who would push gifted players around him to the next level/stage.

5) Lack of a transfer strategy. We have too many similar players, put together in a bunch just because someone thought at the moment it would be a feasible idea.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 24 2015, 03:01 PM) *
I think there's a million reasons for our team being a disaster over and over again:

1) It's the management. Without any plan, without a strategy and a developmental path, there's no real substance that can fill out the missing links with coaches, staff and players altogether.

2) Bad coaches. Unproven coaches. Coaches with no real pedigree or achievements that can build up their authority.

4) Lack of a star player (not fake, but a true star) who would push gifted players around him to the next level/stage.

5) Lack of a transfer strategy. We have too many similar players, put together in a bunch just because someone thought at the moment it would be a feasible idea.

6: No one ideal formation to suit the players we have.

I don't disagree with any of your five but six is just as critical. Maybe more. It's like vital parts of the team are missing, and other bits and pieces are having to fill in instead. It's patchwork.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 24 2015, 05:08 PM) *
6: No one ideal formation to suit the players we have.

I don't disagree with any of your five but six is just as critical. Maybe more. It's like vital parts of the team are missing, and other bits and pieces are having to fill in instead. It's patchwork.

As I see it, there can be a million addendum's. But the root problems are, IMO, the five points mentioned. Your 6th point is, again IMO, a result of the basic 5 points. It's what happens when you don't know who is gonna play for you, what kind of players you want/need/can afford and what kind of tactics you'll deploy.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 24 2015, 02:02 PM) *
Han, you surprised me there. Weeks ago I asked about Baselli and the "Baselli's of Serie A" - aka - how is it possible that players like Bertolacci, Baselli, etc. excel at the various Genoas, Atalantas and Torinos. Now you gave me an answer (I'm still not sure it's the right one, but it did resonate) that small-team mentality and surroundings make the difference. That playing at Milan takes a whole new level by itself.

Also, I'd like to think that Mihajlović didn't do anything special. He finished up 7th, yes, with a small team, nevertheless equipped with some good players. In a weak and unstable Serie A this is enough.

Same argument can be made for Torino for example or even Lazio, not a terrible team by any stretch, but they've been doing well since last season. My point here is that any of these teams play like actual teams, and by doing that they manage to play well and get results that are beyond what everyone expects out of them, Sassuolo are also a good example of this.

We simply can't even figure out a way to do this, we simply don't play like a cohesive unit, and by extension, any system, formation, line-up we try will fail. Because it's not really about those details but the bigger picture.

For me, first and foremost that has to be fixed by a coach, and yes, that decision has to be made by the management who have done nothing but make terrible decisions for the past decade.

As you can see, I literally went through your very well put points above. It's a chain, and every bit of that chain at Milan is rusted to the core at, but none worse than the tip of it which is the management. Until Galliani is gone or at the very least, his role at the club is limited, then we'll continue to see the same bad decisions which lead to what we see on the pitch.

And imo, until we bring in a proper coach (which won't happen with Galliani in charge) things won't change new players brought into this environment, no matter how good or even great they are won't change much. I agree that we need a star player who can make a difference and be a reference point, but a great coach is imo even more important at this point as we've already had that great player with the bad coach and when the player left we fell apart

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 24 2015, 03:01 PM) *

Agreed

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 24 2015, 03:25 PM) *
As I see it, there can be a million addendum's. But the root problems are, IMO, the five points mentioned. Your 6th point is, again IMO, a result of the basic 5 points. It's what happens when you don't know who is gonna play for you, what kind of players you want/need/can afford and what kind of tactics you'll deploy.

Agreed with this as well
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 24 2015, 03:25 PM) *

Perhaps, but you can dismiss all five of yours and go to the root core of the on-pitch problem - and it isn't any of them - it's six.

They lead to it yes, but in the here and now you have to have some kind of quantifiable formation and system suited to the players you have.

We don't. Anything but. So whether you ID all five which led to six, six is the here and now which is giving us shite performances and poor results. And no new manager, no new transfer policy, no apparently leader, no nothing is going to fix six right now. Earliest we can do anything is January.

We're completely stuck and hell knows where we'll be by Jan 1st.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 24 2015, 02:02 PM) *

As an aside, we wanted Baselli and everyone on here mocked the notion. Now he's tearing it up at Torino and suddenly he's anything but a joke.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 24 2015, 10:55 PM) *
As an aside, we wanted Baselli and everyone on here mocked the notion. Now he's tearing it up at Torino and suddenly he's anything but a joke.

You think he'd have produced that kind of form with us?

He'd be in the same water as Bertolacci imo. Who was doing great things with Genoa as well but he's simply not good enough to be an integral part of Milan and neither is Baselli, or Bonventura before them, who has produced good performances for us, but he's simply not someone good enough to build around or to take us to the next level.

Players like these would have been bench fillers back in the day at Milan, now we're talking about using them as integral cogs in the team, and we wonder why we can't get into the CL positions

I guess it's the same old thing leading to the question I posed above, why do very average teams manage to have good to great seasons while performing very well, and while we granted don't have top players have a relatively good squad on paper (that granted might not be well balanced or a good mix), but still can't even manage to muster a mildly decent performance let alone a good result.
X-Offender
Yeah, I really don't think Baselli would have had better luck than Bertolacci to be honest. The latter is the perfect example of an average player who might excel at inferior clubs but will choke big time in a big club.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 25 2015, 12:29 PM) *
You think he'd have produced that kind of form with us?

Not every small club player is unable to produce on the bigger stage.

He'd be in the same water as Bertolacci imo. Who was doing great things with Genoa as well but he's simply not good enough to be an integral part of Milan and neither is Baselli, or Bonventura before them, who has produced good performances for us, but he's simply not someone good enough to build around or to take us to the next level.

Players like these would have been bench fillers back in the day at Milan, now we're talking about using them as integral cogs in the team, and we wonder why we can't get into the CL positions

I guess it's the same old thing leading to the question I posed above, why do very average teams manage to have good to great seasons while performing very well, and while we granted don't have top players have a relatively good squad on paper (that granted might not be well balanced or a good mix), but still can't even manage to muster a mildly decent performance let alone a good result.

Because we're expected to win every match and do so with aplomb. And if we don't have big time players then we can't cope with the expectation.

But I stand by my reason that's not what's killing us this season.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 25 2015, 12:42 PM) *
Not every small club player is unable to produce on the bigger stage.

Because we're expected to win every match and do so with aplomb. And if we don't have big time players then we can't cope with the expectation.

But I stand by my reason that's not what's killing us this season.

True, there are a select few who go on to prosper and to do bigger and better things at bigger clubs.

Look at Verratti for example, from Serie B, to PSG on a big transfer and now he's one of the most coveted young players out there. But generally speaking this only happens with younger players like Verratti, sure there are exceptions, but when a player hits his mid 20s and he's still at a mid-table club (doing very well) it's generally because he's not good enough for a bigger stage.

Look at Cerci for example, he's excelled at smaller clubs throughout his career, had his shot to go to bigger clubs and failed, and excelled again when he went to a team like Toro, only to fail again when he got his big money move that he pushed for.

I think players who have the potential to be really great show this at a very young age. Generally speaking it's strikers like a Toni for example who bloom late in their careers and that's mostly because they're penalty area players who learn their craft over time.
Danny
I think Cerci has extenuating circumstances. He isn't a winger, he's a support striker. Best period of his career at Torino was in that slot. Every other big club has played him as a winger - and he just isn't one.

Today he looks bright and he's playing as a SS.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 25 2015, 04:00 PM) *
I think Cerci has extenuating circumstances. He isn't a winger, he's a support striker. Best period of his career at Torino was in that slot. Every other big club has played him as a winger - and he just isn't one.

Um, disagree. He's looked shite IMO and he's been clearly playing as winger.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 25 2015, 04:00 PM) *

He was playing wide right in a 4-3-3 today, and I wouldn't call it a bright performance either, he was okay, had a couple of decent moments, especially with that pass to Bacca, but other than that, it wasn't anything to write home about.

Cerci is just a player who tends to excel at smaller teams, I don't think it has anything to do with positioning, he's just not cut out for playing at top sides.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 25 2015, 04:46 PM) *
Um, disagree. He's looked shite IMO and he's been clearly playing as winger.

Despite the fact he got applauded off by fans who booed him previously and the fact it was his best display in a Milan shirt to date, yes, you're spot on.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 25 2015, 04:57 PM) *
He was playing wide right in a 4-3-3 today, and I wouldn't call it a bright performance either, he was okay, had a couple of decent moments, especially with that pass to Bacca, but other than that, it wasn't anything to write home about.

Cerci is just a player who tends to excel at smaller teams, I don't think it has anything to do with positioning, he's just not cut out for playing at top sides.

Didn't look wide right to me at all. Barely saw him at the touchline once. It was always Abate over there or Kucka. He was further inside.

But herein lieth the problem with the club and the forum:

The match thread being derailed by Alex/Zaps/Mexes shite again, and now this about Cerci.

It's the same arguments by the same people over and over. Because we've nothing new and fresh to discuss.

We need a new direction at the club, and we need new member registrations because, honestly, these narrowing arguments about the same things by the same people every time I come on are why I left.

And I'm close to being bored to tears with it again.
han2503
Really Danny??? If we're not going to talk about our players and how they performed and who should play then WTF are we going to talk about on this MILAN forum???

I seriously don't get you. Should we talk about the weather and only the weather now?

Cerci is a Milan player, the topic turned to him, so what's wrong with discussing him, his past history or his most recent performance?

I said in the match thread that his performance today was probably his best in a Milan shirt, it's not anything to brag about though considering how utterly terrible he's played for us on any other previous outing.

And I disagree about his positioning, he was right out by the touchline throughout the game and only shifted a bit when Adriano came on. He was playing as a winger, his pass to Bacca started from a play on the wing where he came inside and made that pass.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 25 2015, 05:45 PM) *
Despite the fact he got applauded off by fans who booed him previously and the fact it was his best display in a Milan shirt to date, yes, you're spot on.

Well excuse me but that's my opinion. I said in the match thread that he had a few flashy moments, the assist being one of them, but most of the time he was messy and imprecise.
Rossoneri7
I totally understand why you would consider this the mother of all crisis Milan related, we have been regressing lower by the season. As if this team has become accustomed to failure (or worse yet, failure without trying). Lots of flaws in this Milan, we could sit here till the early hours figuring out how this is worse than that, but ultimately the coach needs a player 'representing him' on the field of play. A Seedorf/Scoles/someone who knows how to keep the ball, dictate tempo, communicates well and this list could go on. Simply put, a player the coach brings in to lead the team. Emphasis is on coach having the right eggs to make Silvio's omelette.

Ofcourse, the defense and midfield need this, that and the other. And that is just as crucial.

Coach change? as much as I dislike this ex interisti, I believe Milan's problems wont be fixed with a couple of smooth firing forwards and a strong goalkeeper. We have enough on our tables as it is, taking on another coach wont make sense unless its a long term thing. Milan has gone from an Ancelotti era straight to the Palermo era. I would rather we keep Miha, if for anything to piss the interisti off with. Plus he was a good at free-kicks, so why not biggrin.gif He could teach the lads a thing or two. Seedorf, Inzaghi, Miha, Allegri, <insert-name>. Even Mourinho would demand those waitrose premium-extra-bullshit-given eggs.

The market, or to be Specific The Milan Market, shall commense the instance Silvio and the Chinese sign the sale. Milan would push to wrestle PSG, Madrid and the likes in terms of capacity (sponsorships, tv, merchandise, a nice transfer kitty). If not, then ... Lets assume that Milan goes forth without that, the next step is kick Miha and upgrade Broochi/Donadoni. Then summer kick them both out and restart with either ancelotti (if we are lucky) or Rodgers 96.gif

P.S. Milan has been through worse, and I honestly believe this Chinese deal will happen at somepoint, just hope it is before the winter transfer break.
maldini03
I can't believe it's taken me this long to read this thread, where's Danny?! Come back, I have some fresh ideas!

I think that a small club player can go to a big team and jump in quality, look at Vidal, sure he made his name playing for his country but before that and for a major part of his career ~mid 20's was playing for smaller teams. He comes to Juve and bam he jumps the list to one of the top 10 midfielders in the world. For me it's a crap shoot, and it depends more on the mentality and work ethic of the player, and the players around him. Look at Benatia, Lewandowski Miranda. There are plenty of examples of players developing to their full potential despite playing for much of their careers at small teams. There are also players who seem promising with a big club, stall and resucrect themselves at smaller teams.

That being said, who knows if Baselli or Soriano would be able to make the jump to becoming stars, both are also relatively young so I would be surprised if they never get a chance to find out. The market today is a different beast then it has been in the past. Players are joining the best clubs as teens, with teams like Chelsea going for quantity hoping 1 in 10 can push their way into the first team. We simply don't have that business model, we go for quality young players. Abate, DS, Anto, Donna are not superstars by any stretch but they are good squad players. Without the superstars to inspire, push, and take the pressure off of them they don't really have a good chance to become superstars. In that vein, do you believe that Thiago Silva would be as good as his is without Nesta next to him? I'd bet not.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.