Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The position of Stephan El-Shaarawy
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Danny
Strikes me the guy can't cut it as a forward. He doesn't have the touch, the skill, or the confidence.

However it's clear the past season or so that he does good work as a left-sided WB. Basically he supports defence, midfield and attack as an 'extra man'. All on the left.

He gives midfield an extra pair of legs going forward, helps out defence when numbers are down, and gives support to strikers up top.

For me this is his position - a hard-working utility man on the left who's not especially brilliant in any slot so adds to support to the whole left flank.

Thoughts?
acid911
Quick question: Do hard-working utility men ever become legends? unsure.gif
X-Offender
I don't agree. He's proven in the past that he can score. The problem is that he plays too wide and too deep, i.e. far from the goal. He's not Hazard or Bale that can play the role of the winger/midfielder and still produce results because his dribbling skills are very limited. His touch on the ball isn't impeccable either, and amazing assist against Verona aside, his vision and passing abilities are rather ordinary. In other words, he's not a winger.

At least, that's how I see it. For me, he'd be much more productive in a 2-man attack, playing closer to the goal and relived of any defensive duties.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 21 2014, 06:08 PM) *
I don't agree. He's proven in the past that he can score. The problem is that he plays too wide and too deep, i.e. far from the goal. He's not Hazard or Bale that can play the role of the winger/midfielder and still produce results because his dribbling skills are very limited. His touch on the ball isn't impeccable either, and amazing assist against Verona aside, his vision and passing abilities are rather ordinary. In other words, he's not a winger.

At least, that's how I see it. For me, he'd be much more productive in a 2-man attack, playing closer to the goal and relived of any defensive duties.

Agreed
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 21 2014, 05:17 PM) *
Agreed

tbh X could call you a baboon-bellied space monkey and you'd agree tongue.gif
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 21 2014, 05:08 PM) *

You've kind of half agreed while disagreeing.

You agree on poor touch, lacking vision, and average passing. These are attributes a SS needs, which is the position you're probably advocating.

I don't think he's shown any attacking quality since November 2012, and that's two years ago.

That's far too long. As you even said yourself, 'up your game son'. Well, I don't think he can in an attacking sense.
X-Offender
Those are mainly attributes of a winger/attacking midfielder. SES can be very dangerous if he plays near the box. His movement and speed are excellent, and with confidence back he might start scoring again.
Jack Sparrow
He's a confidence player. He has had one full game in god knows how long and made a gamechanging pass. Give this new formation time and I'm sure things will work out.

On a sidenote, I'm worried that Honda's superb form is due in part to Menez's absence. When Menez plays he is the one given freedom to roam about while Honda stays restricted. Do you think his returning would affect things?
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Oct 22 2014, 06:37 AM) *
He's a confidence player. He has had one full game in god knows how long and made a gamechanging pass. Give this new formation time and I'm sure things will work out.

On a sidenote, I'm worried that Honda's superb form is due in part to Menez's absence. When Menez plays he is the one given freedom to roam about while Honda stays restricted. Do you think his returning would affect things?

Hmm, don't now, Honda was scoring when Menez was on the pitch as well.

I still saw him being restricted to the right wing vs Verona, so I don't know if Menez makes that much difference in how he's played by Pippo, I think it's mostly Honda adjusting more with every game he plays there.
X-Offender
I agree. Does Honda really bring that much quality on the wing? I'm not so sure. Both his goals against Verona came from long through balls, but every time he's with the ball on the left, there's not much he can do except for pass it to Abate or just cross. Sure, sometimes he can beat the opponent if that opponent is someone clueless, but I can't see him making much of a difference against top sides. In the center he'd be at ease and in his favorite position, but as long as we keep winning and he keeps scoring, Pippo will never change where he plays.
Rossoneri7
Think SES has performed best on the left and in the center. He is still young and there are years ahead of him before he is confirmed a top player. He shows he has the potential, where he plays on the pitch might be indicative of the same. But all in all, I believe SES has settled on the left side and is quickly becoming the asset we need on that left side.

Whether he will perform better in different positions? That is a possibility, but then again his favored position might just be the left side. And I'd trust Pippo to get the best out of these forwards we have, as the main goal is to win. And if by playing SES on the left works, despite our personal assessment, then why change something that works?
kurtsimonw
Preferably on the wing at some other club.
William405
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 22 2014, 05:37 PM) *

laugh.gif Priceless.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 22 2014, 02:37 PM) *

Alas no one will bid £40M again so...he's probably not going anywhere any time soon.

I'd take £10M for him in January.

£16M for Balo was a fucking steal. We ripped Liverpool right off with that one. He's ruining them totally. It's great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.