Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A - Week 21 - AC Milan vs. Torino FC T&F
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Polls
Fillipo Simone
Solid performance. At least the game was enjoyable, even if it left a bittersweet taste.

Top goes to Rami, who made all but one mistake (partly to be blamed for the Torino goal). MDS was more then solid, Muntari had some good and some bad moments, Pazzo did good for most of the game and was rather unlucky.

Kaká is starting to worry me. He's more and more reminding me of the Kaká at Madrid. I'm not sure this lineup is ideal for him, not even on the wing. Also, Honda needs to make more out of his chances. Too many times he delayed the pass before the got trapped by the Torino defenders or simply reacted slow. He's still not at full potential, so I hope he can shake up and prove his talent.

Bonera was the typical him again. Some good moments, creased easily with clumsy, slow and dispositioned movement. Montolivo was also a let down, I really can't stand watching him as our team captain: it would be immensely unfair to take the armband of him in middle of this season, but man, I think I'd try. He really makes you think twice. Also didn't like Saponara effort. Just way too little for what was a good chance to show his potential. And the worst part is, he looked like he's 32 and not 22.

But my pick for flop is Robinho. No effort, no presence, nothing. Just plain useless.
X-Offender
Top: Rami. Second time in a row for me. Excellent signing.

Flop: Bonera, closely followed by Montolivo and Robinho. Whereas the latter two were just useless overall, Bonera's mistakes are simply unbearable and keep costing us points. If Seedorf doesn't do anything about this I'm seriously gonna start hating his guts.
dst
Hey, where's the stay/go options for Seedorf? tongue.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Feb 2 2014, 11:59 AM) *
Montolivo was also a let down, I really can't stand watching him as our team captain:

I think this is your biggest problem with him, not his performances or anything else. And it's good to see that you said it yourself rather than someone else pointing it out.
Fillipo Simone
You want it already? biggrin.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Feb 2 2014, 03:51 PM) *
I think this is your biggest problem with him, not his performances or anything else. And it's good to see that you said it yourself rather than someone else pointing it out.

No, I don't think so. It's just a bonus. My biggest problem with his is that I think he's not doing a proper job: he creates too little, he's almost unable to score from long range and gives you no additional offensive option and he's not giving the team enough momentum. IMO he's an average midfielder that cannot be our focal point.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Feb 2 2014, 02:18 PM) *
No, I don't think so. It's just a bonus. My biggest problem with his is that I think he's not doing a proper job: he creates too little, he's almost unable to score from long range and gives you no additional offensive option and he's not giving the team enough momentum. IMO he's an average midfielder that cannot be our focal point.

This.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Feb 2 2014, 10:18 AM) *

How much creating should the back 2 mids in a 4-2-3-1 acvtually do? To expect him to do so is to misunderstand his role. He has to circulate the ball horizontally, as well as vertically and hold onto the ball and possession. He can also create chances from long shots that cause rebounds. As i've said elsewhere, i think you may be able to admit that he was nowhere near the top 5 losers of our starting 11 yesterday. I'm not a fanboy, but i'm also able to recognize his new role's restrictions and say he played it very well when he does. I watched this game with a Chelsea fan and an inter fan and, with every reason to put down everyone of our players, they didn't once view his performance negatively. Now that, far from settling any disputes, should express that there are worst problems in our performances then Montolivo...
X-Offender
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Feb 2 2014, 05:14 PM) *
How much creating should the back 2 mids in a 4-2-3-1 acvtually do? To expect him to do so is to misunderstand his role. He has to circulate the ball horizontally, as well as vertically and hold onto the ball and possession. He can also create chances from long shots that cause rebounds. As i've said elsewhere, i think you may be able to admit that he was nowhere near the top 5 losers of our starting 11 yesterday. I'm not a fanboy, but i'm also able to recognize his new role's restrictions and say he played it very well when he does. I watched this game with a Chelsea fan and an inter fan and, with every reason to put down everyone of our players, they didn't once view his performance negatively. Now that, far from settling any disputes, should express that there are worst problems in our performances then Montolivo...

It's not only about creating. No one is asking him to be Pirlo. But you're ignoring his serious limitations. Circulating the ball horizontally and vertically? Even I can do that!

You're completely misinterpreting Montolivo's role in this team. He's supposed to be the brains and leader of our midfield, he who dictates the tempo of our play and facilitates our attackers' movements. But the guy is too slow, too rusty, and without a pinch of vision.

When he gets the ball and one player is pressing him, he either makes an easy horizontal pass or simply passes it back to the defenders. And whenever he tries to take on someone, he loses the ball.

Forget about him creating any scoring opportunities with clever through- and long balls. That'd be asking too much. But at least perform the minimum of your responsibilities! He's not even doing that right now.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 2 2014, 05:47 PM) *
It's not only about creating. No one is asking him to be Pirlo. But you're ignoring his serious limitations. Circulating the ball horizontally and vertically? Even I can do that!

You're completely misinterpreting Montolivo's role in this team. He's supposed to be the brains and leader of our midfield, he who dictates the tempo of our play and facilitates our attackers' movements. But the guy is too slow, too rusty, and without a pinch of vision.

When he gets the ball and one player is pressing him, he either makes an easy horizontal pass or simply passes it back to the defenders. And whenever he tries to take on someone, he loses the ball.

Forget about him creating any scoring opportunities with clever through- and long balls. That'd be asking too much. But at least perform the minimum of your responsibilities! He's not even doing that right now.

Do you see Xabi Alonso for example doing the things you're saying? Or Modric?

And these are 2 players who are out of Monto's league in terms of quality, but I'm pointing them out because they play in the double pivot.

Monto's job, is tempo control first and foremost. He's not there to create direct opportunities and to be the assist man, even more so in this type of formation when he is even more retreated in his position than he was under Allegri.

And seriously, I don't know what he did in this game that pissed you off so much because there were games this season where he WAS actually bad. Yesterday wasn't it
KillerMax
Top: Rami

Flop: Bonera very closely followed by Honda.

X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Feb 2 2014, 08:39 PM) *
Do you see Xabi Alonso for example doing the things you're saying? Or Modric?

And these are 2 players who are out of Monto's league in terms of quality, but I'm pointing them out because they play in the double pivot.

Monto's job, is tempo control first and foremost. He's not there to create direct opportunities and to be the assist man, even more so in this type of formation when he is even more retreated in his position than he was under Allegri.

And seriously, I don't know what he did in this game that pissed you off so much because there were games this season where he WAS actually bad. Yesterday wasn't it

Do I see Xabi Alonso and Modric do what? Dictate the tempo and facilitate the attackers' movements? Yes, I do! And that's what I'm asking from Monto. I thought I was clear when I said that creating scoring opportunities would be asking too much from him, because he's not Pirlo. So why are you even mentioning that?
Jack Sparrow
Top: Rami
Flop: Saponara.

acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 2 2014, 10:47 PM) *

This! mad.gif Once every 20 games I see Montolivo do what you say, and then he disappears. He was never that good a player to begin with, but I guess the atmosphere and general vibes at the club have rub onto him.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 3 2014, 02:22 AM) *
Do I see Xabi Alonso and Modric do what? Dictate the tempo and facilitate the attackers' movements? Yes, I do! And that's what I'm asking from Monto. I thought I was clear when I said that creating scoring opportunities would be asking too much from him, because he's not Pirlo. So why are you even mentioning that?

Of course.
Rossoneri7
Top Rami
Flop Never thought I'd see the day... but Kaka
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 3 2014, 12:22 AM) *

I mentioned those aspects myself, I wasn't talking about that as I agree that's what he should be doing. I was talking about the taking on of players you mentioned.

And Pirlo was never a direct assist man either, most of his assists came from set-pieces. At Juve he plays a totally different role so you really can't compare.
Fillipo Simone
So you think Montolivo is the man that makes the assist before the actual assist and dictates our rhythm and tempo? You think he's doing a good job?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Feb 3 2014, 01:04 PM) *
So you think Montolivo is the man that makes the assist before the actual assist and dictates our rhythm and tempo? You think he's doing a good job?

Obviously not.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Feb 3 2014, 09:04 AM) *

I would agree he's been sub-par so far, but his skills are important to the team and Seedorf has him playing in front of Defense. He's a CM, not a Trequartista or a DM, allthough he can do that too, just not as effectively
Jack Sparrow
True. Montolivo will be best at the side of the midfield diamond I guess.

--------------DEFENCE-----------
------------De Jong--------------
----Montolivo--------Essien-----
------------Honda/Kaka----------
------Balo---------Pazzo-----------

I like this formation since I can get both Balo and Pazzo on the field. Give Honda and Kaka the freedom they need and well generally have our players playing their best position.

Tbh, I'm even surprised considering the ~7 years spent with Carlo that Seedorf didn't give this formation a shot.
Fillipo Simone
From the first moment I saw Seedorf as a coach I knew he was on board with van Gaal's philosophy. He may have reached his full potential with Ancelotti, but he's a classic Ajax product learned to function with this system. I doubt he'll bend down anytime. That's the main thing with this Dutch-system, you've gotta stick to it and nevermind a plan B. Barcelona, Ajax, Holland, Bayern - some examples.
Jack Sparrow
Yup. Another month and we will see how much Zee's Plan B planning ability kicks in.
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 7 2014, 11:50 AM) *
Yup. Another month and we will see how much Zee's Plan B planning ability kicks in.

A Plan B doesn't have to mean changing the formation, as was the case with Allegri. Try every formation in the book while still seeing the same BS week in week out.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Feb 7 2014, 03:17 PM) *
A Plan B doesn't have to mean changing the formation, as was the case with Allegri. Try every formation in the book while still seeing the same BS week in week out.

Yes, that's true. Good point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.