Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Basic Milan Quiz
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Fillipo Simone
This Milanfan members quiz has a sole purpose: to get you know better as a - Milan-fan. So, here are the questions:

1) Your personal best Milan XI (including coaches)

notes: pick only players you have actually seen play during your lifetime, not the likes of Rivera and Altafini; this is not an all-time lineup, pick your personal favorites (for ex. if you especially liked Helveg or Ziege, pick them); pick your own formation.

2) Your personal worst Milan XI (including coaches)

notes: all notes from the first question apply here as well; pick the players you disliked on a personal note rather then the ones that actually flopped or played badly with us.

3) Your favorite Milan players (up to three)

4) Milan player that never played good but you still loved (up to three)

5) Most disliked Milan players (up to three)

6) Most disliked Milan opponent (up to three)

7) Your personal most important memory including Milan

note: don't by shy, try to depict the moment as frank and precise as possible. It does not have to be a moment linked with a match or result, just Milan in general

8) Overall favorite Milan moment

9) Overall worst Milan moment

10) One player that you would have liked to wear the Milan shirt

notes: has to be a player you have seen play; only veterans and retired players count, not players who could still possibly play for Milan.
han2503
Very interesting thread Fillipo, I'll have to sleep on this one. It's ridiculously hard to come up with the best 11 and the worst for completely different reasons

The best because there are so many, while with the worst the problem for me is that the most recent ones are usually the ones that will stick out the most while the terrible players who've played for us in the past going back over a decade, their true horribleness tends to fade away in your mind with time
X-Offender
This needs a lot of thinking. I'll get to it in the next couple of days.
Fillipo Simone
Of course, it's a basic test, but not an easy one cool.gif

I get you Han, that's my problem as well, especially with the new players being prime candidates for the worst XI. But the main point I want here is complete frankness. If by some chance you think for ex. Pirlo or Sheva deserve a spot in the worst XI, just do it.

And before we get started, give me freely some other suggestions for additional questions.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 29 2014, 07:44 AM) *
Of course, it's a basic test, but not an easy one cool.gif

I get you Han, that's my problem as well, especially with the new players being prime candidates for the worst XI. But the main point I want here is complete frankness. If by some chance you think for ex. Pirlo or Sheva deserve a spot in the worst XI, just do it.

And before we get started, give me freely some other suggestions for additional questions.

I think you can easily add your overall worst Milan moment as well
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 29 2014, 09:51 AM) *
I think you can easily add your overall worst Milan moment as well

We all know what that's gonna be. sleep.gif
Fillipo Simone
Done smile.gif
CHU-LIP
1) Ancelotti
Inzaghi
Kaká, Honda
Gattuso, Ambrosini, Aquilani
Maldini, Thiago Silva, Nesta, De Sciglio
Storari

2) Allegri
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho, Mancini
Nocerino, Pirlo, Emerson
Mesbah, Mexes, Onweyu, Zambrotta
Amelia

3) Paolo Maldini
4) Sokratis Papastathopoulos
5) Ronaldinho
6) Liverpool
7) Ajax 1-1 Milan in CL (in 2010), watched my two favourite teams live
8) Revenge against [see 6], where Pippo scored twice
9) Milan losing the CL Final against, well, that [see 6] team
10) Lúcio
KillerMax
Awesome idea! I love these.

1)

Rossi
Costacurta Nesta Stam Maldini
Albertini
Boban Rui Costa Kaka
Shevchenko Inzaghi

Coach: Ancelotti

2)

Kalac
Bonera Acerbi Kaladze Mesbah
Flamini Traore Dhorasoo
Mancini Ronaldinho
Niang

Coach: Allegri

3) Sheva, Maldini, Costacurta

4) Gourcuff, Huntelaar

5) Kaladze, Flamini, Mancini

6) Inter, Juve, Napoli

7 & 8) The glorious days when Milan were a pillar for not only amazing football, but sportsmanship and respect. Like the gesture toward Puerta.

9) Everything in the second half of Istanbul

10) Ravanelli!
amancik
1) Personal Favorite Milan XI

Shevchenko Inzaghi
Seedorf Kaka' Rui Costa
Pirlo Gattuso
Maldini T. Silva Nesta Cafu
Dida

2) Personal Least Favorite Milan XI

Niang Amoroso
Dhorasoo
Muntari Emerson Traore
Mesbah Kaladze Bonera Zaccardo
Amelia

3) Shevchenko, Kaka', Maldini

4) Rivaldo, Gourcuff, R. Oliveira

5) None

6) Inter, Manchester United, Barcelona

7) First-Half of 2005 Champions League Final AC Milan vs. Liverpool. After seeing the first-half, I will never be able to forget the second-half.

8) Revenge in Athens in 2007.

9) It was becoming increasingly unbearable to watch Milan play after Allegri's first season.

10) Daniele De Rossi
X-Offender
QUOTE (amancik @ Jan 30 2014, 02:05 PM) *

Shevchenko Inzaghi
Seedorf Kaka' Rui Costa
Pirlo Gattuso
Maldini T. Silva Nesta Cafu
Dida

You do realise that's 12 players. biggrin.gif
milanbuf88

Inzaghi Pato
Kaka'
Pirlo Van Bommel Seedorf
Maldini T. Silva Nesta Abate
Dida

Ancelotti

2) Personal Least Favorite Milan XI

Niang
Birsa Mancini
Muntari Emerson Traore
Mesbah Kaladze Senderos Bonera
Kalac

Allegri

3) Kaka', Maldini, Pirlo (before he left us and became a ****)

4) Gourcuff

5) Ronaldinho

6) Inter, Juventus, Barcelona

7) Watching the 2007 CL Final in a pub in Paris on the second day of a month long back packing tip around europe with a few of my best friends. Seeing Inzaghi score twice on the big projector there was amazing. I'll never forget it.

8) 2007 CL Win

9) Losing to fucking Verona and 80 year old Luca Toni and hearing "what the hell is wrong with Milan?" from my best friend who is a Juve fan sitting next to me at the bar

10) Javier Zanetti

Fillipo Simone
So, I'm ready to give you my choices:

Rossi
Costacurta - Nesta (Junior) - Maldini (Baresi) - Serginho
Ambrosini - Redondo (Desailly)
Seedorf (Rui Costa)
Boban
Weah - Inzaghi (Simone)

Capello

Storari
Contra - Mexes - Acerbi - Cardone - Mesbah
Flamini (Ümit Davala) - Pirlo (Traore)
Gourcuff (Leonardo)
Borriello - Jose Mari (Niang)

Allegri

Maldini, Costacurta, Weah

Emerson, Ziege, Coco

Gourcuff, Di Canio, Pirlo

Inter, Liverpool, Real Madrid

7) Your personal most important memory including Milan:

So, it's the Milan-PSV CL semifinal. It was a awful day. I recently broke up with my girlfriend (who bounced to a Inter fan), had a fight with my friend over football (he's a Barcelona fan an wanted to convince me how Barcelona plays better then Milan). Milan had a comfortable lead, but like often in the Ancelotti era, we started sinking lower and lower. The commentary was on PSV's side as well. I had the feeling that everyone in the world is against me and Milan; I was on the phone with that girl lamenting some things when finally Ambrosini scored (he had the captains armband) the only goal in extra time, which made us go through on aggregate. I felt anger, pride, a big ballast fall of my shoulders and above all, I gloated.

All this isn't quite positive, in fact, writing this down makes me wonder what a looser I've been some ten or less years ago, but anyway, this is what first comes to mind.

8) Overall favorite Milan moment:

Us winning in Athens against Liverpool.
Maldini leading Milan to a 6-0 Madonnina win.
Inzaghi scoring his farewell goal.

9) Overall worst Milan moment:
Maldini and Baresi ending their career without a bang, even on a low.

Fabio Cannavaro, Francesco Toldo and Edgar Davids. The latter two did play for Milan, but not for long and never left a good first impression. Cannavaro? I hate how he surpassed Maldini and became so good. If only he had picked Milan and not Inter, I'm sure he would have ended his career with us.
X-Offender
Redondo? But he barely played for us, Fillipo.
Fillipo Simone
I know. But this is my personal selection, and I adored the guy. He was so good I almost felt for Real and Argentina, something no other player (bar Seedorf and Šuker) achieved. He had a bad fortune, if it wasn't for the injuries that destroyed him, he'd be terrific. Him, Giunti and Albertini were the prototype/model players for what became known as the metronome Pirlo role.
X-Offender
OK, here's mine.

Dida
Cafu - Nesta - T. Silva - Maldini
Gattuso - Pirlo
Rui Costa - Kaká
Shevchenko - Inzaghi

Kalac
Oddo - Acerbi - Favalli - Mesbah
Traoré - Emerson - Muntari
Birsa
Niang - Matri

Shevchenko, Kaká, Nesta

Kaladze, Gourcuff, Flamini

Traoré, Muntari, Niang

Inter, Real Madrid, Liverpool.

The Ajax-Milan CL quarter-final in 2003. The TV was showing ManU-Madrid, so I couldn’t watch the game, only was being constantly updated by the commentator on the goals. Around the end of the game, since the ManU-Madrid game was settled, they switched to Milan-Ajax. The result was still 2-2, the last ten minutes, I was desperate, since Inter had already qualified for the semis and I couldn’t fathom the fact of them passing and us not. The moment Pippo scored, I just couldn’t maintain myself, and when the game ended I started crying tears of joy. It’s an amazing memory, and the fact we ended up winning the CL makes it even better.

The 2007 final. The sweet, sweet revenge against Liverpool. After Kuyt scored the 2-1 goal I stopped watching, went to my room and started listening music at max volume. I was terrified by the thought of them bastards equalising. But then I heard the footsteps of my dad rushing to tell me that the game was over, and I started jumping and cheering like a lunatic.

This doesn’t need any explanation. Istanbul. It still haunts me to this day.

Totti.
KillerMax
Fillippo, why such personal dislike for Gourcuff? Despite never reaching his potential, he was a nice kid, never made any trouble and had a rather likable demeanor. I remember Kaka talking positively about him.
Fillipo Simone
Naah, I disliked his approach. But looking at it nowadays, it's nothing special, in fact, he'd be one of the better players (not in terms of football, but with character).

You see, the team back then had so many senators and top characters, we used to snore how Zee acted when he got subbed off. These high standards made me hate his guts for doing those small-club arrogant tricks: remember how he stole millimeters/centimeters from corner-kicks? And then finally he got warned not only by the referee, but Ambrosini as well? That's just one simple example why I didn't like him.

He also showed a weak character. He had/has so much potential, yet, he's a very moody and lazy player that is simply too arrogant. All in all, I really disliked him back then. That's why I also put Mexes in the worst squad. Not because he's a solid/good defender, but because he represents the sole of what I wouldn't call Milan-character.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 30 2014, 03:04 PM) *
9) Overall worst Milan moment:
Maldini and Baresi ending their career without a bang, even on a low.

What does this mean?

Also, did you put Pirlo there because of his general behaviour and comments post-Milan?
KillerMax
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 30 2014, 05:57 PM) *
Naah, I disliked his approach. But looking at it nowadays, it's nothing special, in fact, he'd be one of the better players (not in terms of football, but with character).

You see, the team back then had so many senators and top characters, we used to snore how Zee acted when he got subbed off. These high standards made me hate his guts for doing those small-club arrogant tricks: remember how he stole millimeters/centimeters from corner-kicks? And then finally he got warned not only by the referee, but Ambrosini as well? That's just one simple example why I didn't like him.

He also showed a weak character. He had/has so much potential, yet, he's a very moody and lazy player that is simply too arrogant. All in all, I really disliked him back then. That's why I also put Mexes in the worst squad. Not because he's a solid/good defender, but because he represents the sole of what I wouldn't call Milan-character.

I didn't know any of that. Maybe I have the wrong impression of him...
X-Offender
Honestly Fillipo, I think you're blowing the whole Gourcuff thing out of proportions. As Max said, he didn't cause any troubles nor did he complain about being rarely played. He was a good kid who just didn't fit in our team and Italian football. The fact he stole millimetres from corner-kicks doesn't make him a devil.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 01:57 AM) *

amen
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 30 2014, 03:04 PM) *
Fabio Cannavaro, Francesco Toldo and Edgar Davids. The latter two did play for Milan, but not for long and never left a good first impression. Cannavaro? I hate how he surpassed Maldini and became so good. If only he had picked Milan and not Inter, I'm sure he would have ended his career with us.

But if Canna had come wouldn't we have lost out on Nesta?

And personally I always saw Nesta as the better defender and player of the 2.

And I personally don't think he came close to surpassing Maldini.

Cannavaro just had an amazing world cup when it mattered, that's why the Ballon d'Or came. Had Italy not won it, he wouldn't have been given the individual award either.

Don't get me wrong, I always loved him as a defender. Him and Nesta made the perfect duo and it's a shame that they either didn't play together at club level nor had any real time playing together for Italy in the major tournaments since Nesta was cursed all his life in that department and go injured nearly each time

I'll put up my answers when I have some time and I don't have to rush through my post
Fillipo Simone
Yeah, I know. My suggestion is one of the heart, not pure logic. But why would that mean Nesta going out? We had a big injury crisis back then. We could have also played with Canna and Nesta in central, Paolo and Billy as fullbacks. But well, this is only phantasy.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 11:16 AM) *
Yeah, I know. My suggestion is one of the heart, not pure logic. But why would that mean Nesta going out? We had a big injury crisis back then. We could have also played with Canna and Nesta in central, Paolo and Billy as fullbacks. But well, this is only phantasy.

But didn't Canna go to Inter in the same summer we signed Nesta?

Or am I confusing the timeline?
Fillipo Simone
Yes, it was the same summer. I confused the periods. But anyway, unrealistic to have another sure starter with Billy, Paolo and Sandro already in the roster.
X-Offender
You didn't answer my question, Fillipo.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2014, 02:16 AM) *
What does this mean?

Also, did you put Pirlo there because of his general behaviour and comments post-Milan?

Baresi ended his career in a sad fashion, after a miserable season that saw us finish 11th and not surpass the CL group stage. Maldini ended his time with us as 3rd and playing the UEFA Cup. Also not what I hoped for. To see one of them lifting a trophy in their last game, that's what would come to mind.

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2014, 02:28 AM) *
Honestly Fillipo, I think you're blowing the whole Gourcuff thing out of proportions. As Max said, he didn't cause any troubles nor did he complain about being rarely played. He was a good kid who just didn't fit in our team and Italian football. The fact he stole millimetres from corner-kicks doesn't make him a devil.

Is Maldini also blowing thing out of proportion?

"Gourcuff in Milan was 100 per cent wrong," Paolo Maldini spectacularly revealed to L’Equipe in 2010. "His problem here was his behaviour. He did not show an intelligent way to manage himself. When he played here, he did not want to make himself available to the squad.

"He did not start studying Italian immediately. He did not work. He was not always on time. It happened a lot. [There are] things he cannot say. But he knows what he did."

Link

The corner thing was just an example, but well, Maldini made the point.
Fillipo Simone
Oh, and you asked me about Pirlo. He sure was one of my favorites, if not the favorite. But all he's said about Milan and all that has been said about him made me think twice and has undone most of the respect I had for him. Don't get me wrong, he's a brilliant player and truly a great, but he's also one of my least favorite picks for his awful character.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 03:07 PM) *
Baresi ended his career in a sad fashion, after a miserable season that saw us finish 11th and not surpass the CL group stage. Maldini ended his time with us as 3rd and playing the UEFA Cup. Also not what I hoped for. To see one of them lifting a trophy in their last game, that's what would come to mind.

Ah, OK, I get it.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 03:07 PM) *
Is Maldini also blowing thing out of proportion?

Link

The corner thing was just an example, but well, Maldini made the point.

I know, I perfectly remember those phrases from Maldini. But still, I think we were unfair to him. We never really gave him a proper chance. The kid was always used as a sub and Ancelotti preferred the likes of Brocchi and Emerson over him. Perhaps he was at fault as well, but we didn't seem to care in making it easier for him to integrate into the team.
Fillipo Simone
I don't think so. Ancelotti gave him space and chances, but it just wasn't right. I remember how he got to play full matches. He really felt unconnected with the rest of the team, and that's why he got snubbed. But in the end...he failed with Lyon, he failed with France as well. Makes me think that giving him more space with Milan would have ultimately result an even bigger failure with us as well. I think his problem is mental, and if that's the whole point, it was pretty much unfixable.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 03:21 PM) *
I don't think so. Ancelotti gave him space and chances, but it just wasn't right. I remember how he got to play full matches. He really felt unconnected with the rest of the team, and that's why he got snubbed. But in the end...he failed with Lyon, he failed with France as well. Makes me think that giving him more space with Milan would have ultimately result an even bigger failure with us as well. I think his problem is mental, and if that's the whole point, it was pretty much unfixable.

He only started a handful of games. His case reminds me of Saponara's, talents whom I really want/ed to to be given more regular time, but for one reason or another are/were being snubbed by their coaches. I really liked Gourcuff, and Maldini's words don't make me sway a bit. I still believe that if we really wanted to get the best out of him, we should have treated him with more care.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 03:09 PM) *
Oh, and you asked me about Pirlo. He sure was one of my favorites, if not the favorite. But all he's said about Milan and all that has been said about him made me think twice and has undone most of the respect I had for him. Don't get me wrong, he's a brilliant player and truly a great, but he's also one of my least favorite picks for his awful character.

I get that, but when I'm judging a player I'm doing that based on his years with us, not what might have happened afterwards. I dislike Pirlo as much as you do for the crap he spilled against us, but I just can't ignore the splendid years he spent with us and how much I liked him and felt proud that he was playing for us and not some other team. To me, he's one of the best Milan players of the last 15 years, and I just couldn't not include him in the starting XI.
Fillipo Simone
Yes, but that's why this is a personal XI. I've included Weah and Simone, even if the obvious picks would have been Kaka and Sheva. But I get our point completely.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 03:55 PM) *
Yes, but that's why this is a personal XI. I've included Weah and Simone, even if the obvious picks would have been Kaka and Sheva. But I get our point completely.

Kaká, I can understand, but I was very surprised you didn't include Sheva.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2014, 08:34 PM) *

It's not based on the notes he has put in the opening post. He speaks of personal favourites, and dislikes.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2014, 08:34 PM) *

I liked Shevchenko a lot, but Weah and Simone even more. Hence my name.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 31 2014, 06:49 PM) *
I liked Shevchenko a lot, but Weah and Simone even more. Hence my name.

I see. You're older than most of us anyway, so you've seen Weah and Simone too I guess in their prime.
han2503
Sheva for me is my all time favourite.

Maldini is all about class, respect, etc. He's the best parts of what Milan is.

But Sheva, in a pure footballing sense, he made me fall in love with football.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 31 2014, 06:58 PM) *

Same.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2014, 08:56 PM) *
I see. You're older than most of us anyway, so you've seen Weah and Simone too I guess in their prime.

I was a boy and they grew on me in a sentimental way. That's perhaps why.
KillerMax
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 31 2014, 12:58 PM) *

Marry me.
kurtsimonw

Abbiati
Stam-Nesta- Silva
Cafu ----------------------- Maldini
Ambrosini - Pirlo
Kaka'
Ibrahimovic-Shevchenko

Dida
Zambrotta-Yepes-Onyequ-Constant
Gattuso-Brocchi
Boateng-Honda-Ronaldinho
Oliveira

Coach: Leonardo

Shevchenko, Maldini, Nesta

Oddo

Ronaldinho, Constant, Boateng

Liverpool

The Athens final, it was so important to win that game for so many reasons.

Revenge for Istanbul.

Istanbul

Zidane.
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 31 2014, 09:23 PM) *

Abbiati
Stam-Nesta- Silva
Cafu ----------------------- Maldini
Ambrosini - Pirlo
Kaka'
Ibrahimovic-Shevchenko

Swap out Ambro for Rino and his best and that would be an absolutely amazing and lethal 11
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.