Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A true new era, surely...
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Danny
I'm not posting this as a knee jerk reaction, but as a result of something that's been building.

Barbara Berlusconi said last night:

"A disappointing evening, like others, which confirms that a change is both necessary and urgent with the contribution of everyone concerned. It’s no longer tolerable that our fans participate in performances like these."

Speaking like someone who cares as much as the rest of us, Barbara Berlusconi basically said 'Dad, fire Allegri and it's time to make changes'.

That happened an hour later.

I sympathise with certain aspects of Allegri - hamstrung from summer 2012 onwards, but he also made heinous errors.

Now Tassotti takes over till the end of the season, possibly in conjunction with Seedorf...dare I feel a little optimistic about the rest of the season?

Our squad is actually not bad when you really look at it.

Abate, Zapata, Bonera, Mexes, Rami, DS, and Urby to choose from in defence.

De Jong, Poli, Cristante, Montolivo, and possibly Essien in midfield.

Honda and Kaka AM.

Attacking line of Balo, Pazzo, and Robinho.

That is probably a top 5 squad if it can nail some form.

On top of this we have a fresh approach with a fan, with a business mind, effectively now running the club. One of us, Barbara Berlusconi, is essentially in control.

Dare I suggest a storming second half of the season?
Fillipo Simone
Many things have to change first. We're gonna need a smart strategy and an all-encompassing change. Medical team, coaching staff, managerial staff, directors and players. But we also have to cherish what made us strong and best in the past and partly keep the experience of such people.
X-Offender
I have a feeling Seedorf could do well. He has immense experience as a player, and he also seems very eager on starting this new adventure.

Anyway, the first thing the new coach has to do is play this team at full potential. I know I said in the past that with Honda I'd like us to play 4-3-2-1, but I would propose injecting a more offensive mentality to these players and dare a 4-2-3-1 formation. Obviously you have to get right a lot of things, starting from tactics, not to mention the right players have to be chosen, but I think a proper balance can be achieved with the right insight and a lot of hard work.
Fillipo Simone
I think one of the biggest issues will be how to settle in Montolivo. The suggested lineup is good, even though a bit more offensive. But what Milan needs now is a Mark van Bommel type of midfielder, someone who gives power when defending, but moves quite comfortable upfront and makes the smart moves.

Nigel de Jong has been excellent this season, his only problem is that his offensive effort comes to zero (at least up until now). Even Gattuso and Ambrosini had more influence in the offensive buildup the de Jong has. This is why his partner will be crucial. Can Montolivo do it? I'm sure he can, but just not sure how regular and how consistent.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 13 2014, 05:18 PM) *
I think one of the biggest issues will be how to settle in Montolivo. The suggested lineup is good, even though a bit more offensive. But what Milan needs now is a Mark van Bommel type of midfielder, someone who gives power when defending, but moves quite comfortable upfront and makes the smart moves.

Nigel de Jong has been excellent this season, his only problem is that his offensive effort comes to zero (at least up until now). Even Gattuso and Ambrosini had more influence in the offensive buildup the de Jong has. This is why his partner will be crucial. Can Montolivo do it? I'm sure he can, but just not sure how regular and how consistent.

Montolivo gives his best in a 2-man midfield alongside a proper DM. So I'd say Monto+DeJong in front of the defense is ideal. Kaká (CAM) and Honda (LW) in attack supporting Balo. As for RW I would go with either Robinho or Saponara. Too bad SES won't be available.

Anyway, even if we keep sticking to 4-3-2-1 it would be alright, as long as no Bonera's, Nocerino's, Muntari's and Matri's are played.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 13 2014, 09:58 PM) *
Montolivo gives his best in a 2-man midfield alongside a proper DM. So I'd say Monto+DeJong in front of the defense is ideal. Kaká (CAM) and Honda (LW) in attack supporting Balo. As for RW I would go with either Robinho or Saponara. Too bad SES won't be available.

Anyway, even if we keep sticking to 4-3-2-1 it would be alright, as long as no Bonera's, Nocerino's, Muntari's and Matri's are played.

I don't claim to know everything about tactics, but I read a post I think on acmilan offside (I hardly go there much), where he did just the opposite of what you said. He debunked the idea that Milan can play a 4-2-3-1 since we don't have wingers and Montolivo is incapable of playing in a double pivot.

Do check it out and let me know what you think.

Danny
Agree that Monto cannot play as part of a double pivot. Dru and X-Off have compiled this idea and I'm not sure where it stems from.

For me Monto is exactly the same as Steven Gerrard. On his game he's a big, dominant, hard-working, visionary driver in midfield who can score goals. Not QUITE as attacking as Lampard in his heyday but still can offer something up front.

Therefore I wouldn't shackle him by pulling him back into the deep-lying playmaker role where I believe he'd be too isolated.

I'm seriously hoping the departure of Allegri sees him regain form though, because no matter what position he plays he needs said form first.

As for the 2-3-1 Jack, well, it doesn't NEED wingers. Milan have always played through the middle with only our fullbacks providing width.

Maybe a new coach will introduce wingplay but that's not the style we normally go for.

My personal formation, right now, including linked new signings, would be:

------Abate----Rami------Mexes---------DS

---------------De Jong---Essien/Poli

---------------------Montolivo/Poli

---------------Kaka-------------Honda

--------------------Balo

4 2-1-2-1

Incredible bench; Poli, Robinho, Bonera, Saponara, El-Sha, Pazzo, Zapata, Urby, Cristante.
X-Offender
^ You've been mentioning Essien in every post lately, but I don't think we'll be signing him.

Anyway, about Monto, I don't see how him being part of a double pivot cannot work. Having seen him play for more than a year now with this team, I've kind of understood the type of player he is. Having not seen him play regularly in the past, I thought he was a player in the mold of Aquilani, who mostly relied on his vision than anything else.

But Monto is different. He's more physical, more 'rough' so to speak and his passing really isn't Xavi-level. I think De Jong actually is a better passer. But what the guy shines at is dictating the tempo. Not quite like Pirlo, but he makes his presence known in midfield by being an excellent ball distributor. And unlike Pirlo, he's much better at defending.

I remember those few games last season where we played 4-2-3-1, Monto felt really at ease alongside De Jong. And even when Allegri played him as a solitary DM, he did more than good. However, if played in a 3-men midfield on the sides, doing the role of a box-to-box mid, I think he doesn't have what it takes to accomplish the required tasks.

The truth is, for the majority of last season Monto played as DM (because of De Jong's injury) and we all praised him for his performances, whereas this season he's always played as RCM, and everyone can agree that he's been mediocre to poor most of the time.
Zed.D
Like Galliani, I feel sorry for Allegri. it would've been better for everyone involved if he'd been replaced last summer. his CV wouldn't have looked bad either with 1 Scudetto and two top 3 finishes with an arguably flawed squad to work with in the last one. this season ruined it all for him though.

Anyways...

I think it's too early to discuss new tactics. should wait and see who's the new boss first, what kind of mentality he has and what he thinks of the individuals and stuff. every coach has their preferences, so don't be surprised if they kept making decisions you guys disapprove of... wink.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 13 2014, 05:15 PM) *
Like Galliani, I feel sorry for Allegri. it would've been better for everyone involved if he'd been replaced last summer. his CV wouldn't have looked bad either with 1 Scudetto and two top 3 finishes with an arguably flawed squad to work with in the last one. this season ruined it all for him though.

Anyways...

I think it's too early to discuss new tactics. should wait and see who's the new boss first, what kind of mentality he has and what he thinks of the individuals and stuff. every coach has their preferences, so don't be surprised if they kept making decisions you guys disapprove of... wink.gif

I seriously hope we don't end up with another Muntari lover. That's my only criteria for a new coach biggrin.gif
Fillipo Simone
I all honesty I don't feel bad at all for him. And this comes from a person who felt bad about Ibrahim Ba or Washington Tabarez. But no, honestly, he turned this club into a big fat joke. Galliani was the mastermind in this operation, but Allegri managed to cross all possible lines. I don't care about his CV and about his future ventures, but God help the next club he takes charge.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 13 2014, 08:26 PM) *
I all honesty I don't feel bad at all for him. And this comes from a person who felt bad about Ibrahim Ba or Washington Tabarez. But no, honestly, he turned this club into a big fat joke. Galliani was the mastermind in this operation, but Allegri managed to cross all possible lines. I don't care about his CV and about his future ventures, but God help the next club he takes charge.

Now that he is gone, we have to look for a fresh start. In Mauro I trust king.gif
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 13 2014, 04:05 PM) *
^ You've been mentioning Essien in every post lately, but I don't think we'll be signing him.

Slight exaggeration Mr Offender!

Anyway, about Monto, I don't see how him being part of a double pivot cannot work. Having seen him play for more than a year now with this team, I've kind of understood the type of player he is.
Having not seen him play regularly in the past, I thought he was a player in the mold of Aquilani, who mostly relied on his vision than anything else.

But Monto is different. He's more physical, more 'rough' so to speak and his passing really isn't Xavi-level. I think De Jong actually is a better passer. But what the guy shines at is dictating the tempo. Not quite like Pirlo, but he makes his presence known in midfield by being an excellent ball distributor. And unlike Pirlo, he's much better at defending.

I remember those few games last season where we played 4-2-3-1, Monto felt really at ease alongside De Jong. And even when Allegri played him as a solitary DM, he did more than good. However, if played in a 3-men midfield on the sides, doing the role of a box-to-box mid, I think he doesn't have what it takes to accomplish the required tasks.

Gerrard isn't a box to box mid. Those are very rare. Lampard is, Scholes was. Possibly Hamsik? Gerrard is much more attack oriented and supportive. I never said Monto was box to box either. But box to box works far better in a 4-4-2. Which we don't play. Poli is the closest we have to a B2B mid.

Point is, I agree almost entirely with your summary of him but it doesn't convince me any better that he'd work long-term in a DP. In fact your summary makes me see him the way I've lined him up in my team.

The truth is, for the majority of last season Monto played as DM (because of De Jong's injury) and we all praised him for his performances, whereas this season he's always played as RCM, and everyone can agree that he's been mediocre to poor most of the time.

Well that ain't true, Allegri played him as a treq lots of the time.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 13 2014, 10:38 PM) *
Well that ain't true, Allegri played him as a treq lots of the time.

When?
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 13 2014, 09:02 PM) *
When?

You're trolling.
Zed.D
I like the title of the thread. it's truly "a true new era, surely" for sure! especially if the new manager doesn't use the veterans (both of whom were terrible against Sassuolo) anymore. can't see Seedorf doing that though.
han2503
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jan 13 2014, 11:01 PM) *
I like the title of the thread. it's truly "a true new era, surely" for sure! especially if the new manager doesn't use the veterans (both of whom were terrible against Sassuolo) anymore. can't see Seedorf doing that though.

Who are the veterans exactly?

We don't really have any on this team anymore, Abbiati and Bonera are the only veterans that were on the pitch, with Bonera it's an obvious choice, but with Abbiati until we get someone who can be an undisputed starter in, I think there's no option but to play him

@ Danny, Monto never played as AM last season, not even once, we weren't even using an AM last season as we were using that diabolical 4-3-3 formation.

He only played 1 or 2 matches in that position this season
Zed.D
Yep, them. the Abbiati I saw against Sassuolo, would be better off warming the bench.
Fillipo Simone
Honestly, I don't think Abbiati was "that" bad.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 13 2014, 10:04 PM) *
@ Danny, Monto never played as AM last season, not even once, we weren't even using an AM last season as we were using that diabolical 4-3-3 formation.

He only played 1 or 2 matches in that position this season

1: Didn't say anything about last season? If X was meaning that then there's been a misunderstanding.

2: He's played more than 2 there this season. You've been outraged several times when he's played there. Short memory buddy!
X-Offender
He played 2-3 games at max, Danny.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 14 2014, 12:46 AM) *
He played 2-3 games at max, Danny.

Can't agree but we'll move on.

EDIT: Actually 3+ games is probably fair. He probably played about 4 or 5, mostly CL there. But it's way more than the 1 Han initially said.
William405
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 14 2014, 01:31 AM) *
Honestly, I don't think Abbiati was "that" bad.

Me too. You can't expect him to save those, lol. I'd blame him on the first goal though.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 14 2014, 12:52 AM) *
1: Didn't say anything about last season? If X was meaning that then there's been a misunderstanding.

2: He's played more than 2 there this season. You've been outraged several times when he's played there. Short memory buddy!

Well x-off was talking about last season so I assumed you were as well...

It was very few games, and I'd be p!ssed off if it was just one let alone more than that

Let's just say you can count the number of times he's played there on one hand and still have fingers left over

QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 14 2014, 02:08 AM) *
Can't agree but we'll move on.

EDIT: Actually 3+ games is probably fair. He probably played about 4 or 5, mostly CL there. But it's way more than the 1 Han initially said.

I don't think it was 4 and certainly not 5.

Let's just go mid-way and say 3, but I don't think it was any more than that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.