Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favourite Milan Flop (2000-2010)
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Polls
Pages: 1, 2
Fillipo Simone
So, there's now a wider selection of players at hand. The rules are the same as for the enfant's - there's no clear definition of flop, and that's why I included the likes of Ronaldo or Redondo.

This poll can be hardly predicted, so let's see who's gonna win.
kurtsimonw
Gila. biggrin.gif
mishie
JKH i really liked him but for what ever reason it didn't work, i feel he wasn't given the best of chances but saying that would he make the 1st team now......no so it was better he left
Fillipo Simone
Fernando Redondo for me. I always admired this guy, and maybe beside Crespo and Zanetti he's the only Argentine player I got fond of for the last 10 or so years. When Milan signed him it was huge. I'll always ask myself what if this injury didn't came along.
X-Offender
Vikash Dhorasoo. I remember him having a blast of a game against Udinese (I think) during his only season with us, that made me really like him.
William405
Can Dinho be added?
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 19 2011, 01:35 AM) *
Fernando Redondo for me. I always admired this guy, and maybe beside Crespo and Zanetti he's the only Argentine player I got fond of for the last 10 or so years. When Milan signed him it was huge. I'll always ask myself what if this injury didn't came along.

I personally don't consider injuries as flopping. Redondo was just really unlucky from the moment he moved here. Though he still remained very popular among Milan fans.
acid911
What is Ronaldo doing here, and not Rivaldo? sad.gif cry.gif Needless to say, Huntelaar it is for me. Really liked the guy, and frankly the way he was (man) handled that season, and still came up with a few great goals is worth of applause, even if little. Gilardino was another one who was one of my favorites, if alone for the reason of playing a nice scapegoat.

If talking in terms of not my favorite players, the biggest one in recent history has to be Oliveira. And Emerson too!
Fillipo Simone
What is Ronaldo doing here, and not Rivaldo?

I knew it smile.gif

Well, he was bought as a big signing even though injury prone. I don't think our board had in mind 20 games and 9 goals when they payed for him - so it was a floppy decision IMO. But like I said, the definition is unclear, so it can be interpreted in many ways.
acid911
wink.gif

Yeah, but as Bauer said above, I too personally don't consider injuries as flopping. smile.gif But I get your drift.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jun 19 2011, 10:13 AM) *
What is Ronaldo doing here, and not Rivaldo? sad.gif

Rivaldo belongs in the least favourite Milan flop poll. sleep.gif
X-Offender
How come Ronaldo has still 0 votes, acid? biggrin.gif
acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 19 2011, 04:28 PM) *
How come Ronaldo has still 0 votes, acid?

laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif Simple. He was not a flop. tongue.gif If he was, then I am a dying purple alien with a green power ring!
Danny
I voted Ronaldo because while he had terrible injury problems with us, hence flop, there was some time when he was here that he simply sparkled and regained his old form. I loved him, frankly.

However, I absolutely detested Gilardino while he was here and after he left.
dst
laugh.gif laugh.gif Senderos!!!!! Oh my, I forgot...

It was between Huntelaar and Redondo for me, voted the former in the end.
MizNelson
The post-signing-of-Kaka lineup of Brazilian duds gets my vote: Amoroso (remember him?), Digao, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.
Fillipo Simone
And Ricky Oliveira, don't forget that one!
Jack Sparrow
I went for Sheva.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 20 2011, 11:23 AM) *

I remember his debut V Lazio. Came on as a sub and it was like Sheva who? That was as good as it got - went downhill very fast after that.
MizNelson
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 20 2011, 03:23 AM) *

*headslap* Thanks!
TriniKing_CE
How do we choose a favorite 'flop'? huh.gif unsure.gif

Choose the one that we found sucked the most?

Or out of all the supposed floppers, the one which we found did the most / which one we have a bias for?
dst
Simply choose the player you like the most from this list.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 22 2011, 01:09 PM) *
Simply choose the player you like the most from this list.

Yep, that's about it!
TriniKing_CE
Ahh okay, that seems simple enough... laugh.gif

Duh! innocent.gif

EDIT: So I voted for Gourcuff, not because he was my absolute favorite on the list, but because I think we could have gained a bit more from him and possibly transformed the guy into a star.
Bluesummers
Gilardino. I hated him sooo much. puke.gif
X-Offender
His first year was very good. It went downhill from then onwards.
arivanjj
ok in my mind i was thinking "biggest" flop when i voted Gilardino (i have scar in me from the suffering i took every time he played) .. i dont think i can have a favorite flop.

and Ronaldo being on the list is just.. no just no. simple.
X-Offender
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jun 23 2011, 01:31 PM) *
and Ronaldo being on the list is just.. no just no. simple.

But no matter how you see it, he was a flop. Blame it to his precarious physical conditions.
arivanjj
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 23 2011, 09:52 PM) *
But no matter how you see it, he was a flop. Blame it to his precarious physical conditions.

exactly. it was precarious. everyone including fans and management knew he was out of shape and yet he achieve much more than what all expected. go back look at the posts people wrote up just when we signed him and the look at the ones during and after he left us. massive shift from negativity to postivity. people who flop have generally high expectations on them and they keep dissapointing. people who rise above expectations are not flops.
X-Offender
I had much higher expectations from Ronaldo for that matter. He stayed less than a year and a half, and most of that time he was injured. He barely played 20 games, and even though he managed to score 9 goals, you'd expect much more from someone of his caliber. The thing is, I blame his injuries upon himself. He didn't keep himself in good shape. He got very fat. And he was "only" 30 years old. Certainly he could have done better.
arivanjj
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 23 2011, 10:56 PM) *
I had much higher expectations from Ronaldo for that matter. He stayed less than a year and a half, and most of that time he was injured. He barely played 20 games, and even though he managed to score 9 goals, you'd expect much more from someone of his caliber. The thing is, I blame his injuries upon himself. He didn't keep himself in good shape. He got very fat. And he was "only" 30 years old. Certainly he could have done better.

well you're the odd one out then. and clearly you don't know the full story if you think his injuries and weight issues were his fault.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jun 23 2011, 03:25 PM) *
well you're the odd one out then. and clearly you don't know the full story if you think his injuries and weight issues were his fault.

He wasn't at fault for his weight problem? Seriously?
arivanjj
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 23 2011, 11:26 PM) *

he was diagnosed with a condition called hypothyroidism which didnt help his situation.
acid911
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 23 2011, 06:26 PM) *

Yup. smile.gif He suffered from Hypothyroidism, and when you think of it, it's amazing the career the man had. I'd probably never have gotten into professional sports if it ever came to it. Not to mention the "overweight" jeers he had to face, from people as well as media. In essence, anything he ate added to his weight among other conditions.

Take a look here at the signs and symptoms section of the disease at the links below. sad.gif Weight gain, water retention, poor muscle tone, fatigue, paleness, depression - and these are all early signs. Like I said, it's beyond amazing what he had to go through and how he pulled himself out of it. Not to mention the multiple kneecap breaks. I can't think of any other footballer that rode on his talents alone like Ronaldo. If it weren't for Paolo, this guy would have been my favorite player of all time. He still is right up there, nevertheless:

Ronaldo
Hypothyroidism
Danny
And yet I'm the only bugger who's voted for him. Ronaldo, that is.
acid911
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 27 2011, 12:36 AM) *
And yet I'm the only bugger who's voted for him. Ronaldo, that is.

Yup. biggrin.gif I would have too, but like I said I don't consider him a flop.

People in my country who don't know the first thing about football, still remember this bald Ronaldo fella. That's how big the legend of this guy is. Sure being Brazilian helped, as did winning the World Cup twice, and being the top scorer in FIFA World Cup competitions is, but still you have got to have it in you. smile.gif And boy, did this guy had it in him!

Most Europeans I know appreciate what he has done and achieved, but absolute favorite he is not for them. Maybe they haven't watched enough, or maybe the already have a local boy that they like better. Can't blame them. But more illustrious personalities have said this before me: If Ronaldo never got injured as much as he did, he'd have been the contender for the best footballer of all time. sad.gif The only contender. So lethal was he in his peak.

But hey spending a couple of years here and there multiple times out of the game because of a broken knee cap or two, and ending your career at the right side of 30, plus playing football in the first place by suffering from hypothyroidism sure is a stinker.
Fillipo Simone
Hypothyroidism or not, I still see it as a flop. He wasn't supposed to be a short term fix, just a passing episode like Amoroso or even bigger names in our past. That's why I take him as a flop.
arivanjj
oh we bought a 30 year old injury prone striker as a long term fix?
Fillipo Simone
Yes. We brought him exactly for that; long term as for 2-3 seasons.
MizNelson
Ronaldo was brought on by Milan management to sell jerseys and nothing more, his poor performances on the pitch notwithstanding.
X-Offender
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Jun 27 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Ronaldo was brought on by Milan management to sell jerseys and nothing more, his poor performances on the pitch notwithstanding.

God has spoken.
arivanjj
Zed.D
Some have voted for the players they liked most and some have voted for the players the hated most.

This poll is flawed!

Anyway, my vote goes to the Hunter. I always thought he would become the next big Dutch for us (or any other club for that matter)...

QUOTE (MizNelson @ Jun 27 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Especially that derby goal. it was of such a poor quality...
acid911
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jun 28 2011, 07:23 PM) *
Especially that derby goal. it was of such a poor quality...

Seriously, if I only remember Ronaldo's time here in Milan with that goal, it'll be enough to last a lifetime. sleepysmiley03.gif Or that epic step-over goal. Or that master pass to Oddo for that screamer. Or the two scorcher heads in that close 4-3 match in daytime.
arivanjj
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jun 29 2011, 12:37 AM) *
Seriously, if I only remember Ronaldo's time here in Milan with that goal, it'll be enough to last a lifetime. sleepysmiley03.gif Or that epic step-over goal. Or that master pass to Oddo for that screamer. Or the two scorcher heads in that close 4-3 match in daytime.

the man scored a goal with his chest! HIS CHEST!
acid911
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jun 28 2011, 07:41 PM) *
the man scored a goal with his chest! HIS CHEST!

Which should be not be an inch of a surprise for the two of us, Ari. cool.gif We've known and loved Ronaldo since the dawn of time it seems. I just wish more and more people somehow saw the magic (or should I say, a miracle) that the guy was. Particularly the time from 1996 to 2002, at least.

Like I said, illiterate people, who don't know to sign their name, don't know more than two things about football can identify this guy - fat Brazilian to some, bald Brazilian to others. Such is the man's legend. cry.gif Proud to be a fan, that's all I can say. And ding-dang proud to have lived to see him play.
arivanjj
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jun 29 2011, 12:49 AM) *
Which should be not be an inch of a surprise for the two of us, Ari. cool.gif We've known and loved Ronaldo since the dawn of time it seems. I just wish more and more people somehow saw the magic (or should I say, a miracle) that the guy was. Particularly the time from 1996 to 2002, at least.

Like I said, illiterate people, who don't know to sign their name, don't know more than two things about football can identify this guy - fat Brazilian to some, bald Brazilian to others. Such is the man's legend. cry.gif Proud to be a fan, that's all I can say. And ding-dang proud to have lived to see him play.

amen smile.gif
acid911
king.gif And even more proud to see him play for AC Milan. devil.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jun 28 2011, 10:23 AM) *
Some have voted for the players they liked most and some have voted for the players the hated most.

This poll is flawed!

This is what I was getting at in my earlier post.

I was be confused until I realized that the results for this poll didn't seem to matter as no one cared about it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Jun 22 2011, 06:56 AM) *
How do we choose a favorite 'flop'? huh.gif unsure.gif

Choose the one that we found sucked the most?

Or out of all the supposed floppers, the one which we found did the most / which one we have a bias for?

Fillipo Simone
I don't know guys, I made an effort to explain the intentions of this poll and was sure it was clear to everyone, but hey, nothing is flawless!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.