Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milan Report: 2010/11 season
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Jack Sparrow
Hey all,

With the season drawing to a close, I think it would be a good idea for us to sit together and chew the cud. So basically, instead of long winded monster posts (who me? rolleyes.gif), if you can list out about 5-10 points that you noticed from our team in a clear manner...I think it would make some interesting reading.

So just as an example, your post would be roughly structured as:

---------------Clear points of Progress this season------------------

--------------------------

----------Negatives/Where we have shown no improvement/regressed-------------------

------------------------------

-----------Some improvements to be made next season--------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------Your comments on previous member's points with quotes---------

--------------------------------------------------

Ok...maybe I've gone a bit too far specifying format..it is certainly not meant to be a homework assignment. biggrin.gif

But specifying structure would usually mean, we think a bit more about what points to put in, rather than a verbal diarrhea where ideas are repeated and some skipped. Whereas if you are just putting 1-2 sentences as points, it's okay even if your ideas match that of another poster. It doesn't have to be unique..just that we all noticed the same thing (eg. The massive improvement of Abate)

Not to mention, Points of improvement cannot be 10 points listing 10 players we need to buy for 60 million. rolleyes.gif Please...we are not 12 year olds on Pro Evo/Fifa (well except dst and kurt..but we love them so..they get a pass wub.gif).

Try and keep it concise,practical and much appreciated from me..if it's also tactical. wink.gif

Fire away.....I'll post mine in a day's time. biggrin.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 3 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Fire away.....I'll post mine in a day's time.

The only thing worse than a pirate is a lazy pirate. dry.gif laugh.gif FACT.
Milan Are Brilliant
I feel like I'm writing a school report! I'm not going to post a 3,000 word essay otherwise everyone will get bored, so watered down here are mine. Ok, so in no particular order.

Progress this season:

1. We are top of the Serie A, and more importantly during the run-in we've actually beaten the smaller teams as we'd expect, even playing badly, bar the odd minor, and I mean minor hiccup.
2. Completely walked over the big sides, especially in the latter stages of the Serie A.
3. In the transfer market, for years we have been wanting not just big names but quality, I am at this time happy with our dealings in the market and what we seemingly will continue to do so in the summer. No more Emerson, Oliveira deals etc.

Negatives/where we have shown no improvement/regressed:

1. Midfield still lacks the pace, certainly centrally.
2. Certain players don't put the effort into tracking back, which in relation to the 1st point, is 100 times worse in this team, we will still get punished by the top European sides because of this, unless we address the issue in point 1.
3. Although Silva is one of the best simple as I still feel our defence doesn't have what it takes under pressure to get the job done, with a full-back and possibly Mexes, will this get better?

Improvements to be made:

1. Central midfield - Is Ganso worth the hype/money? Would Kaka return?
2. A solid goalkeeper - Stekelenburg perhaps?
3. Full-backs, still - Would be interested to see Taiwo's performance next season.
CHU-LIP
Clear points of Progress this season:
1. The quality of the squad (including starting team)
2. Big games, last season we were awful in them, humilated over and over again, now at least we rule in Serie A, pwning Inter (not vice versa)
3. Abate
4. We are not independent to some starters, unlike last season when specific starters were out, we were in trouble. This could be linked with point 1, but maybe you should give the coach kudo's for this also
5. We see prospects more often on the pitch. That's a very good thing. Next season even more often? smile.gif

Negatives/Where we have shown no improvement/regressed:
1. Set pieces, we still suck at them sad.gif
2. Champions League, next season we should be better in Champions League, I accepted this season to be more about national prizes than Champions League, but next season there's no excuse!
3. Even though Leonardo was worse in it, also Allegri should be better in making subs (earlier / more often)
4. Oh and suddenly something comes to mind we actual regressed in: our behaviour/class, not our best season when it comes to that (Ibrahimovic, and even Gattuso had his weak day)
5. Our left-back position, got even worse - Antonini awfully regressed!

Some improvements to be made next season:
1. Pirlo and Seedorf should be replaced by a creative midfielder and attacking midfielder
2. A new starting left-back
3. Sometimes Allegri made bad line-ups, hopefully he has learn from it, for example benching all players with pace and movement, so that we were doomed with watching snails play football, also in the Coppa he should field better line-ups
4. I hope to see Zlatan benched when it is the best choice (like in CL I prefer to start Pato as main forward)
5. We must preform better against weak sides! And in home games...

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ May 3 2011, 04:46 PM) *
2. A solid goalkeeper - Stekelenburg perhaps?

Abbiati deserves more credits than this. He showed good form this season. No need to put this as number 2 of the improving list in my opinion. Obviously I won't say no to a goalkeeper like Stekelenburg though.
TriniKing_CE
Agreed with the majority of CHU-LIP & M.A.B's posts.

Abbiati deserves more credits than this. He showed good form this season. No need to put this as number 2 of the improving list in my opinion. Obviously I won't say no to a goalkeeper like Stekelenburg though.

+1

If I manage to gather my thoughts well enough, to put into writing I would attempt my own list maybe. laugh.gif
Jack Sparrow
laugh.gif @ M_i_B. I was afraid someone would say this.

Pros

1. Milan dominating the league once again. Ability to dominate as well as grind opposition.
2. The amazingly shrewd transfer window. I thought they'd lost it post 2006. But the summers and winters were very good.
3. Thiago Silva stepping out of Nesta's shadow (almost)
4. Abate!!! Honestly..this guy has reached a level, I thought he'd take another 2 years to get to. Good work Max and Mauro.
5. The resistance to counter attacks, as well as ability to thread through/smash down parked buses. Thanks to our new front line.
6. Boateng used as an all-action treqqie rather than the usual mid-field maestro who plays behind the strikers. It has worked esp in the league.
7. Allegri. This has definitely been a good appointment so far. Slowly but surely he is imposing his ideas onto the team.He's a good mix of innovative and practical.
8. Strasser, Merkel and Beretta. Hopefully more of them next season.
9. How we sidestepped injuries and fought hard to not dip too hard when the mid-season form dip did happen.
10. Maintaining the harmony in the team, with a bunch of 'troubled personalities' joining us and being pushed into the frontline. Credit to the seniors for this.

Cons

1. CL. cry.gif We had our excuses, and our injuries...but losing to Tottenham! dry.gif
2. Antonini's fall from grace. Allegri's system which actually uses the fullback as much more than a water carrier from the defence, has exposed his failings.
3. Rino's behaviour when we lost. dry.gif
4.Allegri's subsitutions,I still think come 10 minutes too late. smile.gif
5. Injuries to our players have hit us. Injuries remain a concern for the past 3 years.

Improvements

1. Some plans to deal with our stadium problem should be out by now. How much will be complain of losing matchday revenue??!!
2. LEFT BACK!!!
3. More firepower in mid-field. We need more goalscoring threats from deep.
4. CL performance is now a criteria. At least the semis next season.
5. Replacing the departing seniors with players who can contribute as much as/if not more than them.
6. Finding space for Cassano in the line-up. He's too good to be benched all the time, yet does not fit into our tactical plans completely.
7. Robinho's finishing.
8. Pato's passing.
9. Ibra's depression.tongue.gif
10. A nice away and third kit.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 4 2011, 10:50 AM) *
7. Allegri. This has definitely been a good appointment so far. Slowly but surely he is imposing his ideas onto the team.He's a good mix of innovative and practical.

6. Finding space for Cassano in the line-up. He's too good to be benched all the time, yet does not fit into our tactical plans completely.

How could I forget mentioning Allegri being a way better coach than Leonardo? That's a very important and clear point of progression that has been made.

Cassano should not be a starter. Robinho, Pato and Ibrahimovic are all better options for that. Good thing is that Cassano is one awesome player when subbed in. He's the ideal forward to have on the bench. king.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.