Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best 'team' in the world?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Danny
Had a wee think about this and I'd say the world's ultimate team right now is:

The Brazil defence:

Cesar, Marcelo, Maicon, Lucio and Thiago Silva.

The Barca midfield:

Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta.

A mixed forward line:

C Ron, Messi, and Ibra.

Agree? Disagree?
Jack Sparrow
I'm gonna have to go with the Drog over Ibra.
Danny
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Apr 17 2011, 04:36 PM) *
I'm gonna have to go with the Drog over Ibra.

*gasp*

Drogba's form is debatable right now. In theory yes, on form he's a terrific forward. But this season he's found himself benched more than once.
Milan Are Brilliant
What about the GK? I really don't know, I'd probably say Reina.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 17 2011, 09:09 PM) *
*gasp*

Drogba's form is debatable right now. In theory yes, on form he's a terrific forward. But this season he's found himself benched more than once.

The second half malaria hit him. But he's getting back. And in the beginning of the season he was immense.
Danny
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Apr 17 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Not Cesar?

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Apr 17 2011, 04:41 PM) *
The second half malaria hit him. But he's getting back. And in the beginning of the season he was immense.

The whole team was then they fired Wilkins.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 17 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Not Cesar?

God no, not anymore. The amount of mistakes this guy has made of late.

I would have picked Cech, but since the knee to the head incident he hasn't been the same, Gigi is too old, though he was easily my pick for best goalkeeper for the past decade & some. Casillas & Valdes, do they even need to make saves anymore?!

Reina doesn't have much infront of him in terms of defence and whilst he does make the odd mistake he's making a number of quality interventions in most games.
acid911
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Apr 17 2011, 08:39 PM) *

I'd practically take Manuel Neuer (the German NT and Schalke 04 guy) than Reina 99 times out of 100. For now though Cesar does the job, he has the right mix of skills and experience. wink.gif tongue.gif If we ever went with three keepers in this team, than the other GK would have to be Casillas.

Other than that, can't really argue with the squad Danny put up! Maybe take Busquets out and put some like Xabi Alonso in, but then again these are just trivial changes. This is quite a strong team, one that can take on anybody!
Jack Bauer
Casillas
Dani Alves, Silva, Vidic, Evra
Essien, Xavi, Iniesta
Messi, CR
Drogba
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (acid911 @ Apr 17 2011, 04:51 PM) *
I'd practically take Manuel Neuer (the German NT and Schalke 04 guy) than Reina 99 times out of 100. For now though Cesar does the job, he has the right mix of skills and experience. wink.gif tongue.gif If we ever went with three keepers in this team, than the other GK would have to be Casillas.

I've heard a lot about Neuer, and seen some decent performances though I don't follow the Bundesliga close enough to really be able to say. Same with Stekelenburg really.

QUOTE (acid911 @ Apr 17 2011, 04:51 PM) *
This is quite a strong team, one that can take on anybody!

Yeah, obviously except Barca innocent.gif
Zed.D
"The Brazil defense" in World's best team... it's almost surreal how the only department they weren't great at once upon a time has now become arguably their strongest. who would've thought?

Anyway, agree with most of it. maybe I'd put Eto'o in there instead of Ibra who is amazing but not one of the world's top 3 forwards amazing.
acid911
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Apr 17 2011, 08:53 PM) *
I've heard a lot about Neuer, and seen some decent performances though I don't follow the Bundesliga close enough to really be able to say. Same with Stekelenburg really.

The guy's good. biggrin.gif Better than two Reina's any given Sunday. Ask Fillipo, and he'll say the same I reckon! Maybe you can see a bit of him when Schalke play Manchester United in a few week's time. He is their captain at the age of 25, and was the only German keeper included in the five nominated for UEFA Team of the Year.

Point being, he is good. laugh.gif Neuer just has that special something about him that even Julio Cesar lacks, that confident aura, the one guys like Buffon and Oliver Khan had, though obviously he is quite young!

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Apr 17 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Yeah, obviously except Barca

biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif No comment.
kurtsimonw
I still think Buffon is the best keeper. Marcelo isn't a good enough defender to be in the World Team of the Year or anything. But then a Scot isn't going to pick Ashley Cole is he? tongue.gif
dst
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Apr 17 2011, 06:53 PM) *
Yeah, obviously except Barca innocent.gif

laugh.gif
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 17 2011, 06:03 PM) *
I still think Buffon is the best keeper. Marcelo isn't a good enough defender to be in the World Team of the Year or anything. But then a Scot isn't going to pick Ashley Cole is he? tongue.gif

Most over rated player in England.
acid911
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 18 2011, 03:33 PM) *

+1. wink.gif The guy is good, but his hype-to-performance ratio is beyond imagination.
kurtsimonw
He's the best left back I've ever seen and, easily, the best England player I've ever seen.

Each to their own.
CrazyMilanFan
ashley cole overated huh.gif huh.gif define bale then..... cole for me is best LB atleast in England and then the way he handles of field events is amazing
Fillipo Simone
So, let's try this one:

Casillas
Lahm - Silva - Nesta - Cole
Xavi-Schweinsteiger-Iniesta
Messi-CR
Drogba
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 18 2011, 07:32 PM) *
He's the best left back I've ever seen and, easily, the best England player I've ever seen.

You think he's better than Maldini? huh.gif
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 18 2011, 11:33 AM) *

I think you mean Gareth Bale. Unless you mean English player.
acid911
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 19 2011, 12:20 AM) *
You think he's better than Maldini?

Yeah, that's what I thought about too when I first read Kurt's post. innocent.gif For me I think the 1st spot goes to Paolo, and a distant second is Roberto Carlo. Anyway, the best English players (of recent times, of course) that I would rate would be Beckham, Lampard and Ferdinand in that order.
dst
Terry is a better defender than Ferdinand in my view.

Roberto Carlos was great too, I don't think Cole is at that level.
acid911
Probably. But he's a sick basturd. mad.gif And wears slippery boots. tongue.gif But really both are on the same plane, I think that's round about what players can aim to be whose names aren't Maldini and Nesta. I like sliding tackles in my defenders, clean, accurate, sliding tackles that aren't coated in malice.

And this is something most defenders of today lack - they are just plain scared of going on the attack when defending.
CHU-LIP
Well, it's not easy to pick the right players since I watch some leagues (quite) often but some (quite) rarely, but here it goes:

This season Eto'o really impressed me a lot, I mean, he is one of the best strikers nowadays, carrying a poor Inter this season. Of course, Messi is an easy pick also. David Villa also is one forward that has been impressing me a lot. Xavi and Iniesta are obvious picks. I figure I now need a more defensive midfielder to complete the midfield+attack part. Essien looks like a save choice.

Thiago Silva is really amazing, but Nesta is nowadays not the best central defender anymore like he used to be for many, many, many, many, many, many years. Lúcio also has been a central defender that has impressed me for many years, and I guess nowadays he would be the better pick. Neuer has become a great goalkeeper and has impressed me a lot, while Julio César has made some failures lately. Full-backs are tough to choose. I will go for Maicon, should be the best right-back even though he might not have his best season. Lahm usually is great also.

Et voilà:
Villa, Eto'o, Messi
Iniesta, Essien, Xavi
Lahm, Thiago Silva, Lúcio (c), Maicon
Neuer
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 18 2011, 08:20 PM) *
You think he's better than Maldini? huh.gif

I started watching Milan from about 1999 and towards the end he played at CB anyways, not LB. When he did play LB towards the end of his career, it tarnished his reputation in that position a little because he was beyond awful. Cole is the best left back I've ever seen. Maybe he'll get worse, but he rarely ever puts a foot wrong positionall and when he does his pace makes up for it. Going forward he's something else. Lahm is the overrated big name LB, in my opinion. Whenever he plays there he just seems to make mistakes, he's a far better RB.
dst
I have mostly watched Lahm play for his country and for them he always looked good. Not so whenever I watched him play club football.

Cole has never really impressed me personally. I've seen some very good games from him and some average ones but I can't recall a game in which he wowed me. Can't recall a bad game either.

Maldini never was beyond awful, your head is!
Jack Bauer
Also, Roberto Carlos >>>> A.Cole
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 19 2011, 07:00 PM) *
I started watching Milan from about 1999 and towards the end he played at CB anyways, not LB. When he did play LB towards the end of his career, it tarnished his reputation in that position a little because he was beyond awful. Cole is the best left back I've ever seen. Maybe he'll get worse, but he rarely ever puts a foot wrong positionall and when he does his pace makes up for it. Going forward he's something else. Lahm is the overrated big name LB, in my opinion. Whenever he plays there he just seems to make mistakes, he's a far better RB.

reading the bold part, makes me not taking you one bit serious when it comes to left-backs... in those ''beyond awful'' days of Maldini as left-back he was better than Cole ever has been
dst
Yeah I just came back for this... so Kurt you have not seen Maldini at left back in his prime years but what about RC, don't you think he's better than Cole?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Apr 19 2011, 09:15 PM) *
reading the bold part, makes me not taking you one bit serious when it comes to left-backs... in those ''beyond awful'' days of Maldini as left-back he was better than Cole ever has been

In his final years, when asked to play at left back, he was a complete liability. God forbid I have a different opinion, people can't take me seriously because I'm not a sheep and can think for myself. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 19 2011, 09:16 PM) *
Yeah I just came back for this... so Kurt you have not seen Maldini at left back in his prime years but what about RC, don't you think he's better than Cole?

No, I never saw Maldini in his prime years. But I did state "Ashley Cole is the best left back I have ever seen". I never thought much of Carlos defensively.

Lahm was awful in the KO stages of Euro 2008. Yes, he got MotM against Turkey because he scored the winner, but look at both Turkey goals (admittedly Lehmann was part to blame for one) and tell me which defender got completely schooled for both. He was als at fault for the goal in the Final. He's a much, much, better right back.
Fillipo Simone
I think Luca Antonini is way better then any of the mentioned players. He'd kick Coles @ss tongue.gif
Milan Are Brilliant
Carlos was just a flashy name, who could score these mad free-kicks, defensively he was not great. Maldini better than A.Cole? Definitely.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 19 2011, 10:31 PM) *
In his final years, when asked to play at left back, he was a complete liability. God forbid I have a different opinion, people can't take me seriously because I'm not a sheep and can think for myself. rolleyes.gif

You would be better off as a sheep.
kurtsimonw
Nah.
Jack Bauer
RC was solid defensively and great attacking. Not just a flashy name at all. You don't have a glorious career like he had just because of free kicks. He and Cafu on flanks for Brazil was a great thing to watch.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ Apr 19 2011, 10:04 PM) *
RC was solid defensively and great attacking. Not just a flashy name at all. You don't have a glorious career like he had just because of free kicks. He and Cafu on flanks for Brazil was a great thing to watch.

Cafu was good, but R.Carlos was like Dani Alves, good in attack, not that great defensively, had a wicked shot and that's why he got the hype, oh and he was Brazilian, it helps imo.
Jack Bauer
Of course he was much better attacking but not weak in defense at all. Many players are hyped, so what? hype alone won't make you be a Brazil starter for 15 years and over 10 years at Real Madrid. I can argue that because some parts of his game were flashy (like free kicks), some people couldn't see beyond that.
Danny
Poor old Kurt taking a beating for criticising Paolo at LB. Guess what, he's right!

Paolo was a God for years for us, but towards the end of his time, his timing went, his positioning was screwy, and he gave away a lot of cheap fouls, mostly in the LB position.

I love Paolo - possibly the greatest defender of all time, but I do suspect some remember him from his glory days and erase the slightly negative end to his career at Milan.

It's rare I back up the Cole lovin' Walker, but there ye go!
Danny
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Apr 19 2011, 09:15 PM) *

Oddly enough I agree with this. But I can't stand Cole on any level so maybe I'm biased.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 19 2011, 11:24 PM) *
Poor old Kurt taking a beating for criticising Paolo at LB. Guess what, he's right!

No, he is not right. There is a huge difference between not being at your best and being awful. If anything, the words Kurt used to describe Maldini are not ones I will agree with.
Danny
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Apr 19 2011, 10:28 PM) *
No, he is not right. There is a huge difference between not being at your best and being awful. If anything, the words Kurt used to describe Maldini are not ones I will agree with.

It seemed to me he was getting pelters for criticising Maldini on any level. It didn't appear to be make a difference if he was saying he was beyond awful or just not great.

If you're all upset over 'beyond awful' then it's subjective. I remember screaming at the screen at times when he gave away silly fouls and got his timing badly wrong. Things which can only be described in negative terms.

I won't get into whether 'beyond awful' is fair, but will still say Maldini was anything but imperious by the end. Bit of a shame how it finished for him really.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 19 2011, 11:34 PM) *
It seemed to me he was getting pelters for criticising Maldini on any level. It didn't appear to be make a difference if he was saying he was beyond awful or just not great.

It would have to me.
Danny
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Apr 19 2011, 10:40 PM) *
It would have to me.

That's as well as maybe, but I still say the team from my OP is the best tongue.gif
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 19 2011, 11:45 PM) *
That's as well as maybe, but I still say the team from my OP is the best tongue.gif

I might add Gattuso into mine, just to annoy Kurt.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ Apr 19 2011, 10:19 PM) *
I can argue that because some parts of his game were flashy (like free kicks), some people couldn't see beyond that.

You could, and it would be your opinion as mine was mine, I didn't mean to come across as if I were stating it as a fact. Just what I feel personally.
Fillipo Simone
Naah, Maldini and awful in one sentence is wrong per se. Chu is right.

About Carlos, he was good, but I always prefered Cafu. We mention their defensive and offensive skill, but one has to mention their great spirit, that always normal and warm smile both carried around, and the things they've done for Brazil. Maicon, Dani Alves...sure, they're great, but in those terms, not even near to them.
Jack Sparrow
More or less. Cafu and Carlos could be considered ambassadors for the Selecao. The other two? Nah!
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 19 2011, 11:31 PM) *

So whoever thinks Maldini was better than awful is a sheep?

QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Apr 19 2011, 11:57 PM) *
You would be better off as a sheep.

Nah, he's too close to Wales.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 20 2011, 02:28 PM) *
Nah, he's too close to Wales.

laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.