Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has Allegri turned it around?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Danny
I'm genuinely asking and it's not a loaded question. I've maybe not followed the club quite as closely this season as normal, but I sense an upturn in fortunes since the first few disappointing matches.

What do you guys feel?
Linkman
It's early still. He hadn't blown it yet (despite what X-Off's sig might tell you), and he hasn't achieve anything yet as well.
acid911
I feel this question is best reserved till the half way point of the season. smile.gif If he hasn't got a hold on things by December, he probably never will. As of right now, he's lucky Pato's back in the fold and frankly we had the easiest of matches up till now. The real fun starts today against Madrid, then Napoli, Juventus, and company. Oh the derby too, of all things.

Business is about to pick up and hopefully so will he. Up till now, I'm in Linkman's camp: Mr. Allegri's done okay!
Jack Sparrow
I see incremental improvements. Which is sorta okay I guess. R80 moved into the centre and Pato moved into the CF role is a good sign. We've also looked less shaky on the counter, against possible one of the best counter attacking sides in Chievo.

It's in the transition in the mid-field we still have problems. Once we get the ball moving it from defence to mid to attack smoothly...and when defending the vice versa.

I hope he can solve it.
Bluesummers
not yet. I'll personally judge nov 15.
CHU-LIP
Do the right thing today, coach! Do the right thing!! BE TACTICAL SMART!!!! *takes a breath*

But I agree about it's too early. So far I cannot say he has turned things around. Let's see...
CHU-LIP
A big: No
amancik
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Oct 20 2010, 03:12 AM) *
A big: No

That's harsh, I would say NOT yet.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (amancik @ Oct 19 2010, 11:10 PM) *
That's harsh, I would say NOT yet.

Harsh? Man, he is ****ing with our beloved club, and I am being harsh?
amancik
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Oct 20 2010, 05:12 AM) *
Harsh? Man, he is ****ing with our beloved club, and I am being harsh?

You're saying this based on one-match. Come on, even experienced coaches get it wrong sometimes. I understand due to his age, he's an easy target being inexperienced and major culprit for our losses. I agree with you, he has NOT turned it around at this moment (yet). But I believe he will.
Danny
Tonight was a tough ask - Mourinho has seen off much better coaches than Allegri with ease. He's a master, but I'd say certain defensive frailties and some bad luck went against us too.

I'd say Allegri is doing adequately, with a respectable start in Serie A and an average points haul in the CL.

My expectations are never especially high these days, how can they be?

Has he turned it round? No. Will he? Who knows.
X-Offender

Danny
So, not a fan then...
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (amancik @ Oct 19 2010, 11:17 PM) *
You're saying this based on one-match. Come on, even experienced coaches get it wrong sometimes. I understand due to his age, he's an easy target being inexperienced and major culprit for our losses. I agree with you, he has NOT turned it around at this moment (yet). But I believe he will.

NO, wait.. this is non 1 match talk.. he has been here more than 1 match wink.gif

He made a bad impression many matches so far on me this season, but this one bakes the cake. I saw it pre-match coming for God's sake.
X-Offender
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Oct 19 2010, 11:59 PM) *
NO, wait.. this is non 1 match talk.. he has been here more than 1 match wink.gif

He made a bad impression many matches so far on me this season, but this one bakes the cake. I saw it pre-match coming for God's sake.

Ditto. I've had my signature against Allegri for quite a while now, so it's not about just this one match. The fact we're second in Serie A is because we have a few outstanding players in Pato and Ibra that can make the difference, but our game is null. We can't keep playing with the same midfield that won the Champions League seven friggin' years ago. We're imune to change, that's our greatest defect.
CHU-LIP
We have had pretty much only easy opponents in Serie A so far. So it's no big achievement to be 2nd at the moment, in fact, 1st should we have been looking at the schedule. Now a lot of tough matches in a row. Let's see what will happen..
X-Offender
If Allegri plays Gattuso and Seedorf against Napoli, he really is hopeless. Boateng and Flamini, Max! And maybe Robinho for Dinho too.
CHU-LIP
Agreed about Seedorf and Boateng. Disagreed about Gattuso and Flamini.
X-Offender
How's Gattuso any better? Because he can tackle the opponent? I can do that as well. Flamini at least has some creativity, can dribble and shoot from the distance. He has all the characteristics of the modern midfielder. If he simply was more disciplined...
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 20 2010, 01:45 AM) *
How's Gattuso any better? Because he can tackle the opponent? I can do that as well. Flamini at least has some creativity, can dribble and shoot from the distance. He has all the characteristics of the modern midfielder. If he simply was more disciplined...

Maybe. But still. I don't see it in this guy. Distance shot? When did that ever turned out good for us?
acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 20 2010, 04:45 AM) *
If he simply was more disciplined...

Yeah? And whose job is that? huh.gif (Hint: it's the man in your signature). biggrin.gif If he spots potential and sees the making of a good midfielder we can use then he should be having a little one on one (and man to man) chat with Flamini. Because frankly, Gattuso may have the heart of a dragon, he has legs made of spaghetti (or they turned into them these past 3-4 years).

Against big teams that is. In Serie A Rino can work, but high profile matches against top teams, he just can't cut it. Instead of creating an attacking move, we are left countering them - and hopelessly at that, mind you. Chaps like Gattuso, Zambrotta and friends covering incoming strikers at the edge of our box, instead of passing the balls to the attacking trio. Remember what Galliani said a few months back? laugh.gif The quote is below, but it will remain more of a joke unless we find a way to link our play, and pass the ball to the three guys upfront. Otherwise it's gonna be "The Huntelaar Story: The Sequel". The quote, of course:

"With Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho, Robinho and Pato we are not inferior to any team of the world".

Darn right we are. rolleyes.gif Maybe we can sign one more striker next window?!
Bluesummers
teams win trophies not strikers. Our mgmt is either too stupid or too broke to realise/change this.
acid911
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say too stupid. sleep.gif We needed someone who can come from the flanks, and we needed that guy desperately. When all your attacks and options come from the middle (that being R80 or Seedorf) than half the grip on the match is already lost. We may strangle Chievos and Lecces, but any team with a half a decent manager, or squad will turn us into Little Red Riding Hood:

CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 20 2010, 01:45 AM) *

Tackling is pretty important for a DM. You cannot do it as well as Gattuso, nor Flamini has showed in Milan he can. It's more than just that though. Gattuso's nice save (you know which) was another great assessment by Gattuso this season. Has he done that pure based on his tackling skills? No, for some reason he was there when needed, so he also has the needed awareness. My question is would Flamini have saved us there also? This season when Gattuso played he showed a lot of work rate, he was all over the place. To me it seems like Gattuso is not only better in tackling than Flamini, but also mentally the better player. These are the most important things for a DM. You yourself even said 'if he simply was more disciplined', that's pretty important for a DM...

Now I ask you: how's Flamini any better? His creativity, sure, he will beat Gattuso in it, but also his creativity doesn't add really something nor it's important for a DM. For any other other midfield position I prefer Flamini also over Gattuso, just not as DM. A DM doesn't need to be creative, well in dribbling and a good shoot from distance (has Flamini ever scored for us though?).

Gattuso is showing awesome form this season. It really looks like it's true that last season he had difficulties with the lack of confidence in him, and possible also his injury. Gattuso had a poor season last season, that doesn't mean he is poor now also. He is one of our better player this season, at least our best DM. So why bench him if he's preforming?
Fillipo Simone
Oh for christ sake, now the management is stupid for getting striker!

We are building, we are clearing the team out and trying to get depth. So what's the deal?
It's easy to say the board is stupid right now, but I think we should be honest enough and admit that team building and buying new players isn't that easy and can't be done that fast.
Jack Sparrow
Sadly true. The hyperbole from the management of how we're inferior to none might be blamed for this. We were led to believe for the 1290192140238034823048th time and landed on our butt for it.

Even I dared to think something would be different...even though all my instincts told me this would turn out not so great since Footballing 101 has an entire chapter dedicated to how teams are always built from the back to the front.

To win, first you must not be defeated.
X-Offender
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Oct 20 2010, 08:36 AM) *
Tackling is pretty important for a DM. You cannot do it as well as Gattuso, nor Flamini has showed in Milan he can. It's more than just that though. Gattuso's nice save (you know which) was another great assessment by Gattuso this season. Has he done that pure based on his tackling skills? No, for some reason he was there when needed, so he also has the needed awareness. My question is would Flamini have saved us there also? This season when Gattuso played he showed a lot of work rate, he was all over the place. To me it seems like Gattuso is not only better in tackling than Flamini, but also mentally the better player. These are the most important things for a DM. You yourself even said 'if he simply was more disciplined', that's pretty important for a DM...

Now I ask you: how's Flamini any better? His creativity, sure, he will beat Gattuso in it, but also his creativity doesn't add really something nor it's important for a DM. For any other other midfield position I prefer Flamini also over Gattuso, just not as DM. A DM doesn't need to be creative, well in dribbling and a good shoot from distance (has Flamini ever scored for us though?).

Gattuso is showing awesome form this season. It really looks like it's true that last season he had difficulties with the lack of confidence in him, and possible also his injury. Gattuso had a poor season last season, that doesn't mean he is poor now also. He is one of our better player this season, at least our best DM. So why bench him if he's preforming?

I thought Gattuso was unwatchable last night. Not only did Ronaldo take him on an acid trip, but every time he had the ball, all he did was pass it back to whoever give it to him. I don't remember who said it last night, but in today's modern football there's no more place for players like Gattuso. Everyone has to run, everyone has to win balls, everyone should organize the game. Madrid have two DMs in Xabi Alonso and Khedira, and they both can make runs, distribute balls and contrast the opponent. A modern DM should be capable of having many duties, not just running like a mad dog.
Jack Sparrow
They're not DMs. They're holding mid-fielders. Just one cannot do.

Chelsea for example play Essien AND Mikel.
X-Offender
Whatever, that wasn't my point.
Jack Sparrow
Do we have two holding mids...and can we play a double pivot?
X-Offender
Pirlo and Flamini can be our holding mids, Flamini being the ball-winning midfielder and Pirlo the ball-playing midfielder.
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 20 2010, 12:45 PM) *

We are building, we are clearing the team out and trying to get depth. So what's the deal?
It's easy to say the board is stupid right now, but I think we should be honest enough and admit that team building and buying new players isn't that easy and can't be done that fast.

We had to start building 3 years ago. It was obvious to all. After doing nothing for so long, I can understand people's frustration.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 20 2010, 03:45 AM) *

Yeah were re-building but its a little too late.

Its like we've begun studying for a University final exam 2 days before the exam day.

Now were the paying the price in all departments.

Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ Oct 20 2010, 11:53 PM) *
We had to start building 3 years ago. It was obvious to all. After doing nothing for so long, I can't understand people's frustration.

Yes, I know that. We made some poor decisions plus we just couldn't find the money. But I still hope we can make it back. It just needs time.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 20 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Yes, I know that. We made some poor decisions plus we just couldn't find the money. But I still hope we can make it back. It just needs time.

Fillipo Simone
This is the second time you send me such a note Blue; what for?
Jack Sparrow
Because he wuvs you.
Linkman
wub.gif is in the air...
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 21 2010, 04:09 AM) *
This is the second time you send me such a note Blue; what for?

SIMPLY BECAUSE.........

Fillipo Simone
Me and Mourinho, ha? wink.gif
acid911
Ah, love and general merry making. biggrin.gif What is life without it, LOL?!
Fillipo Simone
...or maybe...Tina is right smile.gif
acid911
Ha, Tina is a Goddess, so she's always right. wink.gif Plus she rages 80s, my decade of choice!
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 21 2010, 06:44 PM) *
Me and Mourinho, ha? wink.gif

mad.gif
Zed.D
You know what? after all our veterans retire (Seedorf, Gattuso, Ambro, Pippo, Dinho (!), etc.) I'd like to see Carlo back. for two reasons: 1. I miss him! 2. he may not be the best coach on earth, but he's better than anyone we can afford.

I'm dead serious btw biggrin.gif
vnata001
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Oct 23 2010, 01:12 PM) *
You know what? after all our veterans retire (Seedorf, Gattuso, Ambro, Pippo, Dinho (!), etc.) I'd like to see Carlo back. for two reasons: 1. I miss him! 2. he may not be the best coach on earth, but he's better than anyone we can afford.

I'm dead serious btw biggrin.gif

tbh, I don't disagree. If we were to reach outside the Milan family, it's a nice thought envisioning Gus Hiddink at the helm.
Fillipo Simone
You see, that's what I've been talking off a long time ago. As we parted with Carletto, we had no real alternative, no one was even near him. People talked about Spaletti, Lippi, Donadoni...where are they now??

But to be fair, I think the break did well to both Milan in terms of refreshment, and especially Carletto.
Nowdays Carletto is beside Mourinho, Guardiola, van Gaal and sir Alex Ferguson the best club coach there is. He's devoleped a good rapport with the Chelsea board and the fans like him; I don't see how he could return to Milan. If he leaves, it will be for Italy, after Prandelli fails.

Then again, all Milan legends had two terms at least. Liedholm, Rocco, Capello, Sacchi...he should too.
Bluesummers
he gets a lot more money at chelsea then he got here. He also gets to pick the players he wants to sign.

He's loved in chelsea and he's dominating the EPL where here he was 3rd all the time.

I would never move back if I were him.
Fillipo Simone
Still, he's italian and a rossoneri in heart. And he wasn't 3rd all the time, just to be correct.
Jack Sparrow
He's as much Giallorossi as Rossoneri...but I don't expect to see him back. He might even try and have a go at Spain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.