Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sokratis
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Players > Past Players
Pages: 1, 2
Tennie
(from acmilan.com's english page)

OFFICIAL A.C. MILAN PRESS RELEASE
7/20/2010
MILAN - A.C. Milan communicate that they have signed the player SOKRATIS PAPASTATHOPOULOS outright from Genoa and have sold NNAMDI ODUAMADI, RODNEY STRASSER and GIANMARCO ZIGONI on a co-ownership deal to the same club.

Welcome to Sokratis! 96.gif
Jack Sparrow
On the official site...you can no longer access the team page since it's under construction. So far our transfers have been one of consolidation rather than ambition. Let's see how things go.
Darunia
Wonder how good he is at RB, we might need him there.
Fishdoll
Not terribly bad - I think.

He played on the right (though I'm not sure I'd qualify it as RB) during Greece-Argentina at the world cup. His main job was stifling Messi and he did a pretty good job at it, if memory serves. I suspect he's likely to be more of a defensive fullback than a cafu-style wingback.
Jack Sparrow
Bugger! dry.gif Is he another Bonera?
Fillipo Simone
It's good to see we signed him. With 22 there's still plenty of room for improvement.
Jack Sparrow
I suppose. If we play him. Bonera was 26 when we signed him I think. smile.gif
samira
Welcome ! biggrin.gif
Tennie
The ultras seem happy with his transfer. According to milannews, they've already started singing songs for him during training.
kurtsimonw
How on earth can you fit that name into a song? We couldn't with Hitzlsperger!
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 21 2010, 05:23 PM) *
How on earth can you fit that name into a song? We couldn't with Hitzlsperger!

That's because Villa fans are lame. I bet West Ham fans will do it just fine this coming season smile.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ Jul 22 2010, 08:31 AM) *
That's because Villa fans are lame. I bet West Ham fans will do it just fine this coming season smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now you have awakened th inner beast in kurt by insulting his kind biggrin.gif
Jack Sparrow
Keira supports West Ham. wub.gif

Keira is perfect. I'd love West Ham....but in England my blood is black and white (with traces of blue thanks to Carlo). smoke.gif
kurtsimonw
I would be insulted, but West Ham sing a song about 'pretty bubbles'.
Dracoris
Here's a vid of his performances in Genoa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78PPzWRVylU

He's got a little pace to him, and he can pass a little. RB might not be a bad fit for him, we'll see.
Darunia
It seemed like he only played RB in that video, he has decent pace but has trouble getting past a couple players it seems.
Bluesummers
Let's get this out of the way immediately: Shall we call you Papastathopoulos, Sokratis or something different?

"You can do it how you like it. Papastathopoulos is my surname, but it’s too long and it won't fit on the back of the jersey. That's why I chose to have 'Sokratis' on it instead. My friends call me Papa and I like it."

That's quite a demanding nickname, don't you think?

"It's only an abbreviation. I don't want to make any comparisons."

Alright Papa, describe yourself.

"I'm young and I have a lot of desire to learn and work. I will put myself at the service of the team."

Everyone says that, but tell us what kind of player you are. Are you a fullback or a central defender?

"I am a central defender who, if there is the need, can also play at right-back. No problem."

From Genoa to Milan: That's quite a triple jump.

"Apart from the satisfaction, because I have touched the highest point of my career, I feel the responsibility of having to demonstrate who I really am. I will join a group of champions. I will have to integrate myself; listen, study and learn."

Have you talked to any of your new teammates?

No, not yet."

Who do you want to thank?

"First of all, I would like to thank my family: father, mother and my brother who have never left me alone and have allowed me to do what I wished for since I was a child; to become a footballer."

Have you always been playing in the defence or is this the last stage of a long evolutionary process?

"When I was a child I was a great forward. I played for a small team in my local town, Kalamata, and I fared really well. I scored loads of goals, but then I started playing further back on the pitch and I ended up in the defence."

Do you have any role models?

"Paolo Maldini, Nesta and Cannavaro. They are the greatest players that I have seen in action. But I can’t say that I'm inspired by them. That would be conceited."

Married, girlfriend or single?

"I have a girlfriend, but I won't tell you her name. It’s best to protect the privacy."

Will you be living in Milano?

"I will have to think about that, but I probably will. I like to live in the city where I'm playing."

Besides football, family and girlfriend, what else is there in your life?

"Music, a lot of music."

Genre?

"Greek rock."

What's that like?

"It's rock music like the American, English or Italian kind, but the words are in Greek... Nothing special."

Talking about Greece; the economical crisis is changing your country.

"The situation is not as dramatic as it is portrayed in the media. Of course there are many people who have lost their jobs and this is a serious problem, but we can rise again. I'm very close to those, who are currently going through a tough time. I feel privileged because I earn a lot of money and therefore I'm allowed to do everything I want, but I also see what happens around me. And I won't forget it."

la gazetta
Dracoris
I think this guy will be class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkMAx6JbKnY...amp;feature=sub
Bluesummers
He's f**king great! thats why we bought him so quick and thank god we did. He's class already.

Sokartis-nesta-silva-antonini droolsmiley.gif
red
Wow, this guy already oozes class.
d'Arc.LP
He was not that good. He also made some mistakes but I must admit that he was better than against Arsenal. Is plays better as CB than RB.
Jack Sparrow
I was thinking, if our fullbacks are so strained, perhaps it might not be outside the realm of possibility to play a 3 man defence with Nesta, Silva and Sokratis.

Bluesummers
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 2 2010, 03:49 AM) *
I was thinking, if our fullbacks are so strained, perhaps it might not be outside the realm of possibility to play a 3 man defence with Nesta, Silva and Sokratis.

No its not a bad idea either, though they say its suicidal in the italian league.

I've read the Italian league is suited for slow-tempo possession formations. Since most teams prefer to play counter attack, it seems one team will always dominate possession while the other will be content to counter. Rarely will both teams fight for who has possession.

favorable formations:

4-3-1-2
4-3-3
4-5-1
4-2-3-1

----------------

3-X-X

is usually an attacking formation where they attack with 7 and then have 2 stoppers and a sweeper to soak up pressure till the fullbacks arrive.

This would be heaven for teams who sit back and then counter with 3 fast players.

-------

the reason 4-possession works well in italy is because the defensive line is deep and usually plays man to man marking, which means they don't worry about the space just where the man moves. The midfield plays zonal, which means they sit in front of the defence and worry about the space they are to hold.

--------x---------x-------x---------x
[space]-----x--------x--------x--[space]

[space..........space........space..........]

This gives time for the fullbacks to arrive and provide the needed with in order to penetrate a deep defensive system.

Also by holding the majority of the possesion and one line of defense playing man to man and the other playing zonal, you will see small gaps open in the middle of the defence from time to time as the ball moves from one side to another.

This is also why players like pato/ronaldinho/kaka dominate in italian league and spanish leagues vs english. Once you beat your man marker, your virtually free to have a shot at net or a cross. While in the english league you have to beat players by using the channels in between defenders via passes because all defenders and midfielders have cover, so you'll run into trouble as soon as you beat your guy.

Arsenal worked us pretty well on the channels this weekend. Had we say 6 months under allegri, that would never have worked. Then the only thing they could have hoped for would be beating us via speed and physique and hoping for luck; like they did in 08.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evhC89YPZI

Watch fio's defence and you'll see how many times the middle is left wide open.
-----

If it worked though, this would look damn good.

-------abbiati------

---sokratis-nesta-silva

abate-flamini---pirlo---antonini

pato------borriello----dinho
X-Offender
QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ Aug 2 2010, 10:28 AM) *
He was not that good. He also made some mistakes but I must admit that he was better than against Arsenal. Is plays better as CB than RB.

+1

Sokratis for CB!!
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 2 2010, 03:38 PM) *
No its not a bad idea either, though they say its suicidal in the italian league.

I've read the Italian league is suited for slow-tempo possession formations. Since most teams prefer to play counter attack, it seems one team will always dominate possession while the other will be content to counter. Rarely will both teams fight for who has possession.

favorable formations:

4-3-1-2
4-3-3
4-5-1
4-2-3-1

----------------

3-X-X

is usually an attacking formation where they attack with 7 and then have 2 stoppers and a sweeper to soak up pressure till the fullbacks arrive.

This would be heaven for teams who sit back and then counter with 3 fast players.

-------

the reason 4-possession works well in italy is because the defensive line is deep and usually plays man to man marking, which means they don't worry about the space just where the man moves. The midfield plays zonal, which means they sit in front of the defence and worry about the space they are to hold.

--------x---------x-------x---------x
[space]-----x--------x--------x--[space]

[space..........space........space..........]

This gives time for the fullbacks to arrive and provide the needed with in order to penetrate a deep defensive system.

Also by holding the majority of the possesion and one line of defense playing man to man and the other playing zonal, you will see small gaps open in the middle of the defence from time to time as the ball moves from one side to another.

This is also why players like pato/ronaldinho/kaka dominate in italian league and spanish leagues vs english. Once you beat your man marker, your virtually free to have a shot at net or a cross. While in the english league you have to beat players by using the channels in between defenders via passes because all defenders and midfielders have cover, so you'll run into trouble as soon as you beat your guy.

Arsenal worked us pretty well on the channels this weekend. Had we say 6 months under allegri, that would never have worked. Then the only thing they could have hoped for would be beating us via speed and physique and hoping for luck; like they did in 08.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evhC89YPZI

Watch fio's defence and you'll see how many times the middle is left wide open.
-----

If it worked though, this would look damn good.

-------abbiati------

---sokratis-nesta-silva

abate-flamini---pirlo---antonini

pato------borriello----dinho

Thank you. Am so glad we can actually discuss football instead of just harping on about how we're gonna suck coz we don't have Player X or Player Y and instead have to do with A, B, C. It gets boring after a while. These kind of posts lets me think.

Obviously a pure 3-man defence is kinda dangerous..though I believe Genoa does play like that (?). They're famous for their 3-4-3.

I have something a little more fluid in mind.

My base formation would be...the same backline as yours..except..

---Sok---Silva---Nesta--- [Silva makes some good runs from the middle]
------Pirlo----Flam---Ambro---Zambro
--------Pato/Zee-------R80/Zee/Pato
-----------Marco---------

It's a little slow...but I think it offers better cover against the counter...while having enough technical players to keep possession.

Ambro would just sit/cover for Silva when the latter brings the ball out of possession. I think Zambro and R80 overlapping would be great..plus Zambro can cut onto his strong side and shoot. Pato and Pirlo are free...while Flamini does what he does best. Run like a mad dog.

We'd be able to counter with 3 too..and defend with at least 5.

Widthwise, we suffer on the right a bit..too much depends on Pato, though it's conceivable for Ambro to drop in during the game to cover for Sok..while he brings the ball out of defence to spark a counter with Pato down the right.

I have a feeling, that my thinking is wrong and the balance is all f@cked, but I can't quite place it.

I dont' know, lately I've been playing around a lot with the idea of the CBs being used effectively to spark attacks. I think we have Silva and Sok, who're two of the brightest in the league in playing with the ball. I think Lucio is number one though. biggrin.gif
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 2 2010, 11:41 AM) *
My base formation would be...the same backline as yours..except..

---Sok---Silva---Nesta--- [Silva makes some good runs from the middle]
------Pirlo----Flam---Ambro---Zambro
--------Pato/Zee-------R80/Zee/Pato
-----------Marco---------

Jack I find your formation too offensive.

First of all the position of Pirlo is not good, you can let him free as mush as you like but still wont be enough.
The right side of your defence is uncovered, Flamini can run like mad dog to the right side but then you'd have a lot of space in the center that would be impossible to be covered by Ambrosini. As you said that'd be unbalanced.

If I'd have to play with 3 defender's I'd play like this :

Against strong sides :

--------------Sokratis - Nesta - Silva
Zambro/Abate - Flamini - Ambrosini - Antonini
------------------------Pirlo
------------------------------ Ronaldinho
-------------------Pato

Playing like this would offer us a very good 5 men's defence cos' Antonini and the right WB would be running a lot.
Our first 3 defenders would be static and the wing back would be very fluid. Flamini would be our box to box midfielder and Ambrosini our ball winning midfielder. Pirlo would be the playmaker and Ronladinho would be an advanced playmaker. Both of them would be serving Pato with assists.

Against weak sides :
----------------Sokratis - Nesta - Silva
------------Flamini - Pirlo - Ambrosini - Antonini
-------------------------Ronaldinho
--------------Borriello/Hunter --- Pato
X-Offender
I don't like the idea of a 3-men defense at all, and knowing Allegri, I doubt he'll ever opt for it.
Danny
I heard this lad looked a player V Arsenal. Sounds like we may have a good signing on our hands.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 2 2010, 05:04 PM) *
I don't like the idea of a 3-men defense at all, and knowing Allegri, I doubt he'll ever opt for it.

Yep. A decade ago, maybe, but nowadays most teams seem to use wingers so a narrow defense would be disaster.
servbot
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 2 2010, 05:08 AM) *

Seems like all the more reason for Pirlo to play up farther, no?
Bluesummers
QUOTE (servbot @ Aug 5 2010, 11:35 PM) *
Seems like all the more reason for Pirlo to play up farther, no?

exactly tongue.gif

The only reason he doesn't is because Seedorf PMSs if he doesnt' get to play AM.

Fillipo Simone
Well, safe to say so far Sokratis was a miscalculation. The coach lost confidence in him very fast, but his 2 or 3 appearences for Milan were a disaster. Just compare Yepes with him.
X-Offender
Agreed. Yepes has been rock solid in his three appearances with us. But Sokratis is just 22. If the maturity argument is valid for Pato, it should be valid for Sokratis as well.
CHU-LIP
I don't find disaster accurate. Sokratis should be given more confidence. I understand starting Yepes over him, but not Bonera. He's young and new at the club. His future still can be bright at Milan.
X-Offender
Let's just be content that we have Yepes and Sokratis instead of Favalli and Kaladze this season. smile.gif
Zed.D
Yepes has been rock solid? the only defender who's almost been that is Silva IMO. Yepes has had his moments. it's just that you didn't pay close attention, and they didn't cost us.

One of Papa's so called disastrous games was against Napoli. but he was playing against a very on from, motivated and amazing Lavezzi! I don't think Yepes would've fared any better.

I have absolutely nothing against Yepes. I just want to see Papa get more chances. 2-3 games shouldn't decide his Milan future.
amancik
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Dec 6 2010, 03:54 PM) *
I have absolutely nothing against Yepes. I just want to see Papa get more chances. 2-3 games shouldn't decide his Milan future.

I don't think his future has been decided if that's what you meant. I think he'll get some more playing time in the next few games.
Jack Sparrow
Plus one. He's an excellent squad player, but will he improve just sitting on the bench.
dst
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Dec 5 2010, 09:39 PM) *
Well, safe to say so far Sokratis was a miscalculation. The coach lost confidence in him very fast, but his 2 or 3 appearences for Milan were a disaster. Just compare Yepes with him.

Here's my comparison: Yepes has made more mistakes than Papa, he's certainly not better (I'm not saying he's worse either) and he's not going to get any better at this age...

QUOTE (amancik @ Dec 6 2010, 01:50 PM) *
I don't think his future has been decided if that's what you meant. I think he'll get some more playing time in the next few games.

I think he will be loaned out in January before he gets any more time. Maybe it's for the better.
Fillipo Simone
Maybe Yepes done more mistakes, but Papa's were the lethal ones.
han2503
What irritates me about the Sokratis situation is that Allegri didn't give him another chance, he made 2 mistakes when he's played, 1 against Napoli andother against Cesena, imo it's not enough to banish someone who has a lot of potential just for that, a lot of other players have made bigger f ups this season, yet have been let back on to start time and time again. Personally I can't stand the double standards Allegri has for some players.

Sokratis was far from a disaster when he played, Yepes played 2 games against easier opposition, fact. Sokratis could be in our future plans, maybe not as a starter but as a great squad player, certainly better then Bonera or Favalli or he who's name shall not be spoken.
Jack Sparrow
Maybe he just isn't showing enough in training. Allegri seems to place a lot of importance on how players do in training.
amancik
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 7 2010, 12:54 AM) *
Maybe he just isn't showing enough in training. Allegri seems to place a lot of importance on how players do in training.

+1
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 6 2010, 05:54 PM) *

I don't believe that excuse for a second, and I hate when people use it.

I've seen training sessions countless times on Milan channel, and everyone does the same exact work. You expect a player would act like a petulant child and refuse to do what he's told, and thowing fits? They're there to do a job, during the week they train, weekends they show up for match day, simple. Being late for training or not showing up is something inexcusable, but using the not showing enough in training BS is just taking the easy way out of explaining a situation.

I know our position in the table is great atm, but Allegri has definately not convinced or won me over, his questionable choices, subs and slow reaction time are issues that we'll see exposed to the fullest in Europe and I'm not ruling out a heavy drubbing come the knock outs, his entire system hinges on Ibra, I'd really love to see where we'd be now had Allegri been given the team Leo had, with the injuries Leo had to deal with wink.gif
William405
You should have a sig han written on it "I'm always right" wink.gif
dst
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Dec 6 2010, 06:31 PM) *
Maybe Yepes done more mistakes, but Papa's were the lethal ones.

True. In the long run though you want to play the player that makes the fewer mistakes... or are you suggesting that we only cut someone when he makes something we get punished for? Something like "you can keep shooting at me as long as you don't hit me... "... well we are going to get punished eventually because there's just a limit to how many times you can get away with it.

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 6 2010, 06:54 PM) *

I doubt it, Papa is a good professional, everyone was talking about how focused he was despite his age when he was still here.
Zed.D
QUOTE (amancik @ Dec 6 2010, 03:20 PM) *

What I meant is, after 2-3 poor games, it seems he won't get another proper chance. Nesta and Silva are usually fit, if either can't play, Yepes will play. so it's really hard for Papa to start another game. and if things continue like this, obviously there's not much chance of him staying. he can't afford to not play regularly at this age.
Fillipo Simone
What, at the age of 22?
X-Offender
Wow, the disparity in evaluation between Sokratis and Yepes in here is staggering. Yepes has played two games and a half, and he's made only one mistake against Bari. Sokratis has played more and has been quite shaky in almost all his performances. Believe me, I have high ambitions for Sokratis and I hope he'll become a great defender for us, but as things stand right now, Yepes has simply been the better player.
Bluesummers
Sokratis isn't ready to start for milan yet. Its not just about making mistakes, hes far too clumsy and recklessness in his play. He is what I would call an "animalistic" defender. He rushes in hard and often leaves the opponent wounded. In England this is beautiful. This is what you must do in order to survive. In italy, it'll get you killed. In italy you have to be smart and you only get maybe 1 chance to make a tackle and if you miss it your f*cked. It has nothing to do with speed or physicalness. It all has to do with technique, which is hard to teach. It takes years of exp to develop it. Thats why most defenders in Italy are in their advanced years.

In regards to giving chances, I agree he needs more time because he has huge potential. Allegri not playing him does not mean he isn't good enough in training it just means he isn't good enough to play over Yepes yet, which I believe is true.

When he's 24/25 he'll be a regular for us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.