Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All-Star games?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
servbot
IMO the best sports all-star festivities are the NBA's which kick off tomorrow, where they have the dunk contest, 3 point shootout, skills competition, and even HORSE now. And of course the actual game and the rookie/sophomore game. All American leagues have some sort of all-star competition, at the very least just a game like the NFL Pro Bowl. Even the MLS has one of sorts, although it's actually just MLS "stars" vs. a non-top 4 EPL club during the EPL pre-season.

Does Serie A or the European leagues in general do anything like this?
Fishdoll
Not really that I can think of. MLS does it (the all stars play some random european club).

The closest there is that I know of are the charity games - eg the one that was in Lisbon recently with zidane & co v. Benfica/Benfica vets. There are games like that occasionally.
dst
What's HORSE?

And the NBA All-Star game is actually fun to watch!
servbot
HORSE is basically a playground game. Usually 2 people, each takes turns with a shot of their choice, often doing strange variables like "eyes closed" or "off the backboard" to make it harder. If the first person makes their shot, the second person has to duplicate the shot. If they miss, they get a letter. If you spell out "H-O-R-S-E" (5 misses) you lose. They just started doing this in the NBA, I didn't even see it last year so not sure of the details of their game. Pretty cool concept to see pros playing this game though.

Sucks about the all-star games. It'd be cool to see a league vs. league all-star match.
dst
The league vs league things is an awesome idea actually. Never crossed my mind.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I remember this game, probably from one of the Tony Hawk games!?
Coldest
Couple of years ago I saw World XI vs Manchester United... It was like a charity match.
kurtsimonw
Would be nice to have an All-Star game of sorts but the concept is very American and can't see it ever taking off. Only time I ever see things like this are for charity/testimonial.
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 13 2010, 11:18 PM) *
Would be nice to have an All-Star game of sorts but the concept is very American and can't see it ever taking off. Only time I ever see things like this are for charity/testimonial.

Too american. I think the idea of national teams is the European equivalent of All-star games.
Coldest
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 12 2010, 03:39 PM) *
What's HORSE?

And the NBA All-Star game is actually fun to watch!

It's not fun. I prefer to watch to watch NBA Play-offs where they compete for every ball, every point and where real battle happens...
servbot
QUOTE (Coldest @ Feb 14 2010, 08:41 AM) *
It's not fun. I prefer to watch to watch NBA Play-offs where they compete for every ball, every point and where real battle happens...

laugh.gif

Of course! But it's fun in it's own right because it's more of a rec center/playground style game that I would play in, but with the talent of the top players in the world.

QUOTE ('LaPalma')
Too american. I think the idea of national teams is the European equivalent of All-star games.

Very true. There is a pretty big competition coming up soon, no? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.