Milan Are No.1 Team In The World - Silvio Berlusconi
The Rossoneri’s troubled start to the season is worrying the club president but he insists that they are still No.1...

Sep 30, 2009 10:30:25 AM
Photo Gallery Zoom
Silvio Berlusconi, Presidente Milan (Mucignat.com)
Related Links
Teams
Milan
Milan President Silvio Berlusconi described his side’s early-season woes in no uncertain terms yesterday as he travelled to L’Aquila to visit the area of the devastating earthquake that hit the Abruzzo region last April.

“It’s a disaster,” Berlusconi sighed while exchanging a few words with some residents.

“They make you suffer as much as they make me suffer.”

But the smiling Italian prime minister, who turned 73 yesterday, soon changed his tune as soon as he realized that a La Gazzetta dello Sport reporter was among his audience.

“Ah, you work for Gazzetta?” he said.

“Well, when I said ‘disaster’ I was just saying it for the sake of it.

“It is a difficult moment, but that’s football. It will pass. We’ll see where things stand in the end.”

Milan languish in mid-table after the opening six games of the Serie A season and inexperienced coach Leonardo is already under the spotlight.

Vice President Adriano Galliani reiterated this week that the Brazilian’s job is safe, but Berlusconi walked away without answering when asked if he still thought he made the right decision by hiring the former midfielder.

However, Berlusconi has denied having made those statements in an interview with Sky Tg 24 this morning.

“The team are not going through a positive period, but they are still the first in the world,” he insisted.

“I was asked whether they were a disaster and I only said these are not very satisfactory days. But, as usual, the press does its job and chases headlines.”

Vince Masiello, Goal.com