Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Expectations for the year are
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > News Dump
il_diavolo_mtl
We Want At Least Third Place - Adriano Galliani
The Milan vice-president wants his team to win the Scudetto, but will settle for a place in next year's Champions League...

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has stated that his team are aiming to win the Scudetto, and if they fail to achieve this objective, a place in next year's Champions League will be satisfactory.

The Rossoneri have not gotten off to the best start this season, winning twice, producing a lack-lustre draw against Livorno, and getting demolished against cross-town rivals Inter.

But Galliani is positive that his team can recover, and aim for the pointy end of the table.

"Aiming for the Scudetto? I think and hope that we can win it," he told Virgilio.it.

"In one way or another, though, I know that Milan need to arrive in a position that will allow to automatically qualify for the Champions League."

Currently sitting in eighth position, Milan is five points from leaders Sampdoria and Juventus, and three behind the Nerazzurri.

Milan play Udinese away on Wednesday night.

Rick D'Andrea, Goal.com

I still feel management thinks i'm stupid...
Bluesummers
one lousy win and were talking about 3rd place rolleyes.gif
Zed.D
I think 3rd place IS reachable. Galliani needs to talk less and think about bringing one or two good players in January though.

This team needs a very good AM and 2 full backs (we will survive the season with 1).
dst
(hopefully Galliani is not around)

I think we're fine as we are. What I mean by that is that I believe we can reach 3rd or at least 4th place with our current squad. It won't be easy but it's not easy for the teams we're fighting with either... the thing is, it's better to bring in a couple of players in January so that they will adapt to the league and our game making us stronger for next season right from the start.
Zed.D
So you mean it's better if we sign new players in January and perhaps Galliani was right in not bringing many in the summer?
Jack Sparrow
If the only way Milan could have brought in players was by paying over the odds, I'm with Fester. Just coz Madrid and City are going crazy I see no reason to jump on the bandwagon.

I think Galliani has basically put out minimum expectations. 3rd place and anything else is a bonus. Anything less and Leo will leave and probably a few people with him.

I think 3rd is possible. If we strengthen in Jan, and our transfers click, we can hit second. If R80 also clicks, we could actually challenge for the scudetto.

The way things stand, we're like the big club, that cannot win the scudetto, but can cause enough damage to another club's chances.
dst
^^No man this is ridiculous. You've said it before a few times but let's end it here because it's false: we can get good players in good prices. We were after De Silvestri who Fiorentina bought for what, 4, 5m? That's much more than a good price, that's an excellent offer. Or should I say peanuts? Don Silvio just did not want to spend anything this summer, that's it. Galliani probably convinced him to spend some money for Huntelaar but he would not give anything more, not even actual peanuts. Cissokho's transfer was probably canceled because getting a forward was a priority and Don Silvio would not spend money for two players. In any case, it's a fact that we can get good players in normal prices. We're not going to get one of the best players in the world in anything close to a normal price in today's market that's for sure but we were not after one of them, were we?

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Sep 22 2009, 11:34 AM) *
So you mean it's better if we sign new players in January and perhaps Galliani was right in not bringing many in the summer?

No, nothing like that. All I'm saying is that our squad as it is now is able to reach 3rd place. Of course I wanted some more players in the summer and of course I now want them in January.
Jack Sparrow
I think De Silvestri was a combination of a miscalculation and a different 'big club' price.

I don't think it impossible that Milan were asked to pay a million or two extra, which was probably being saved up to get Fabiano.

I know we all like KJH a lot, but he was in the end a second choice buy, when all else failed to bag Fabiano and Dzeko.

As for Silvestri:

1. Milan's first target was Cissokho...who failed at the last gasp for his transfer.
2. We were still in need for a fullback but bidding for strikers took higher priority.
3. Finally it came down to buying De Silvestri who would be injured for 3 months and might take some more time to play regularly as opposed to waiting till the january transfer, when possibly more funds would be available and we could buy someone else. Maybe Rafinha or another Brazillian whom the coach likes.
4. De Silvestri was not even on the for sale list by Lazio, till suddenly it became such a huge headache for Lotito to keep him. This was towards the end of the window, and I'm guessing by then Milan had already moved on, identified new targets and 'hopefully' put in pre-contracts as well.

But I'm guessing as much as you are. Though I still think Fiorentina got him for a cheaper price than what was offered to Milan. The parallel is I think KJH came for cheaper than was offered to Stuttgart and Arsenal. There doesn't seem to be a standard price for players anymore. It depends on the buyer.
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 22 2009, 03:39 PM) *
4. De Silvestri was not even on the for sale list by Lazio, till suddenly it became such a huge headache for Lotito to keep him. This was towards the end of the window, and I'm guessing by then Milan had already moved on, identified new targets and 'hopefully' put in pre-contracts as well.

You're wrong with this. Unless by 'end of the window' you mean July onwards. It was already August when Leonardo talked about him too.

You're saying we were asked to pay a couple million more than Fiorentina were and I think that's very probable. But that brings the total to what, 6, 7 million? In my view, anything less than 10m for a great 21 year old talent is NOT inflated. Which again brings me to, YES WE CAN get good players in normal prices.

Maybe Rafinha or another Brazillian whom the coach likes.

Also, I do not like this view of Leonardo as biased. If anything we have more Italians and less Brazilians than last season.
Jack Sparrow
^^

laugh.gif Why is it somehow whenever I bring up Leonardo, my posts end up sounding racist. My sub-conscious is trying to tell me something. tongue.gif

When I said Brazillian, I meant that LB playing in Brazil now. What's his name? Santos? The Brazillian league ends in Jan or something right? And that particular player had said he'd consider transfers only by that time.

I haven't seen the bloke play yet, but he's been good enough to play for the NT I think...so could it be the management think he's better than Silvestri.

Also you're discounting that Silvestri was injured. So it would have been some time before he was ready to play. I think a player with a medical condition is almost always sold at a lower price. Not to mention the miscalculation I talked about. I forgot to put it in the post.

At that time we were desperate to get rid of Oddo. Our deal was a swap with cash for Silvestri which Lotito shot down. I think we broke off negotiations after that.

Btw..is Silvestri>>>>Abate? Could that have been a factor? To see till Jan if Abate could cut it at RB...and then decide whether we wanted to LB or a RB?

I can't fault the logic, but I'm still guessing.

As for your reasoning. Good players at decent prices. Perhaps, but not always..and not always for the position in which we have a requirement.

Like Fabiano for eg. Like Dzeko etc. Though strikers are a bad example I suppose.

De Silvestri is good, but is he ready to walk into the first XI? I see Ben Foster instead of Van der Sar and I have to think. There is such a case as overrating youth.
il_diavolo_mtl
Andre Santos plays for fabernache
Habitant
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 22 2009, 01:45 PM) *
De Silvestri is good, but is he ready to walk into the first XI? I see Ben Foster instead of Van der Sar and I have to think. There is such a case as overrating youth.

you really cant use goalkeepers to justify that.

besides were more concerned about the attacking aspect of our fullbacks, which lorenzo would have provided.
Jack Sparrow
Ok then. Giovanni Dos Santos. tongue.gif
servbot
I don't like this at all. While 3rd place is a realistic goal, that fans and management would be pleased with given the situation, I don't think anyone in a leadership position should be publicly saying their target is anything less than 1st place. Especially this early in the season.
Habitant
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 22 2009, 05:04 PM) *
Ok then. Giovanni Dos Santos. tongue.gif

doesnt count, he's mexicano tongue.gif
Habitant
does it even matter? gallianonini has been changing our so called objectives every month for the past 3years.

every year it's scudetto at the begenning, then just goes down from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.