Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Berlusconi to cut wages
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Bluesummers
Report: Silvio Berlusconi Orders Milan To Slash Wages

According to MilanNews.it, Italian Prime Minister and Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has already put in place the first measures to overhaul the club in light of their recent failures on the field of play.
It is suggested that vice president Adriano Galliani has been entrusted with the difficult task of considerably reducing the club’s wage expenditure to better cope with the current economic climate.

Milan currently top the ‘salary chart’ in Italian football. They pay a total of €120 million per season in wages - the same amount as Inter - while Juventus come in third with €115m.

But Berlusconi thinks that this situation has now become unsustainable and has demanded a 30 per cent cut, which means that their wage budget will be slashed to around €90m per season.

These measures would obviously invite lucrative bids from top European clubs for big stars such as Kaka, who earns €9m per year.

The Brazilian turned down a big-money move to Premier League side Manchester City in January, but it is believed that Spanish giants Real Madrid will revive their interest next summer.

Brilliant genius. Yeah cut wages, what a brilliant move. Why dont you cut the players who make our wage go that high, sheva, emerson, kaladze, dida, Ronaldinho. Brilliant berlu, a genius i must say rolleyes.gif

Slashing of wages plus uefa cup next season. We are becoming a wonderful team!!
Tennie
Well, it's either cut costs - and wages are by far the biggest single cost - or end up several hundred million in debt. Which would you prefer?
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 4 2009, 09:18 AM) *
Well, it's either cut costs - and wages are by far the biggest single cost - or end up several hundred million in debt. Which would you prefer?

sheiks, thats who i would prefer.
whoarethepatriots
Kaka cannot leave. People like Emerson and Dida though who are draining resources without giving anything in return can leave or have their wages drastically slashed
Bluesummers
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Mar 4 2009, 10:35 AM) *
Kaka cannot leave. People like Emerson and Dida though who are draining resources without giving anything in return can leave or have their wages drastically slashed

Agreed man. But if we cut it by 30% i'm guessing everyone is going to have get cuts.
Tennie
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 4 2009, 11:35 AM) *

Then there's always Man City. smile.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 4 2009, 10:38 AM) *
Then there's always Man City. smile.gif

my team is Ac milan.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 4 2009, 04:47 PM) *
my team is Ac milan.

My teams are Inter, Man U and Barca at the moment. Though I'm not sure about Barca, depends if they win the league or not.
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 4 2009, 04:36 PM) *
Agreed man. But if we cut it by 30% i'm guessing everyone is going to have get cuts.

Not necessarily. If we can remove dead weight such as Favalli, Dida, Emo, Zambrotta, Kalac etc and promote a Primavera player or two such as Darmian we wouldnt have to make cuts, or at least not to everyone
Bluesummers
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Mar 4 2009, 11:36 AM) *
Not necessarily. If we can remove dead weight such as Favalli, Dida, Emo, Zambrotta, Kalac etc and promote a Primavera player or two such as Darmian we wouldnt have to make cuts, or at least not to everyone

That all depends on who is coach next season. If carlo is coach those dead weights would stay. But if coach is replaced and the new coach does not have plans for those players than yes some players wouldn't need a pay cut.

I think seedorf should also get a pay cut.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 4 2009, 11:17 AM) *
My teams are Inter, Man U and Barca at the moment. Though I'm not sure about Barca, depends if they win the league or not.

are you mocking me ? tongue.gif
dst
Yup there are many players who seem to earn more than they deserve... if they go away, there won't be a need to cut everyone's wages.

But... I'm not so sure about this... since when do we have to take these reports seriously?
Tennie
Since it's a slow news day?smile.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 4 2009, 12:03 PM) *
Yup there are many players who seem to earn more than they deserve... if they go away, there won't be a need to cut everyone's wages.

But... I'm not so sure about this... since when do we have to take these reports seriously?

since its from berlu himself.
Tennie
Um. Blue, there's no quotes in that article. So, really, it's not from Berlusconi himself.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 4 2009, 03:18 PM) *

I would prefer a CEO who doesn't give silly contracts to aging players past their best. Ironically enough this is the same CEO who kept harping on about Milan being in the black not so long ago...

Our management are wonderful laugh.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Mar 4 2009, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE (dst @ Mar 4 2009, 09:33 PM) *

+1
LaPalma
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 4 2009, 05:35 PM) *

Then ask R7 to buy you a club.
Jack Sparrow
Ha. He won't. He'll tell you there's no return on investment. Ask him to buy you a telecom company, or a nuclear power company. He'll ask you come up with a business plan, so he can give you the funds. biggrin.gif

I agree. The 30% wage cut, implies a shedding of flab mostly. I would reckon the wage bill doesn't just comprise the player wages. Also a lot of backroom staff etc. Trimming there, might save a god 3-5 mill as well. Especially if you got rid of all the useless medical staff.

But my guess is that the mandate says cut overall expenses by 30%, and not just the wage bill. That sounds to me, to make much more sense. It's what all companies are doing. Of course wage cuts would have a role in it too.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 5 2009, 04:27 AM) *
Ha. He won't. He'll tell you there's no return on investment. Ask him to buy you a telecom company, or a nuclear power company. He'll ask you come up with a business plan, so he can give you the funds. biggrin.gif

I agree. The 30% wage cut, implies a shedding of flab mostly. I would reckon the wage bill doesn't just comprise the player wages. Also a lot of backroom staff etc. Trimming there, might save a god 3-5 mill as well. Especially if you got rid of all the useless medical staff.

But my guess is that the mandate says cut overall expenses by 30%, and not just the wage bill. That sounds to me, to make much more sense. It's what all companies are doing. Of course wage cuts would have a role in it too.

Chelsea have done something similar(down sizing their youth talent spotters etc). As long as we rid ourselves of deadwood I'll be happy smile.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 4 2009, 05:35 PM) *

Now I don't understand how you can honestly say this? You know what that means? Do you know how much harm can be done by that? I don't think any "real" Manchester City fan can be proud of his team at the moment. I wouldn't be. The way they handle, the way they manage the club,..is it really that we support Milan based on trophies and trophies to be won? I don't. While I disagree with some decisions of our "stupid" board and managers, I'm still proud and ensured that the way our management approaches matters is with style and respect.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 6 2009, 02:28 PM) *
Now I don't understand how you can honestly say this? You know what that means? Do you know how much harm can be done by that? I don't think any "real" Manchester City fan can be proud of his team at the moment. I wouldn't be. The way they handle, the way they manage the club,..is it really that we support Milan based on trophies and trophies to be won? I don't. While I disagree with some decisions of our "stupid" board and managers, I'm still proud and ensured that the way our management approaches matters is with style and respect.

I see, well in my opinion...Milan are a football club first and foremost. Our number 1 priority is to win trophies. While I do like many of management's current value/policies, I do not think they can financially handle the markets of today. We are not a humanitarian support group or a donation center or a retirement home. We are a football club and if our coach is doing what he is doing now, we either expect him to change or leave. Same goes for player. You either play top quality football or we find your replacement. However, our board does not have such demands on either the coach or players. Therefore you see the mess today.

Furthermore, our board constantly supplies our team with useless aging players such as favalli, emerson, beckham etc. Instead of taking time to invest money properly and getting a return from that investment (pato). That is why I would rather the sheiks run this club than berlu because I think they would do a much better job keeping milan where it should be.

Berlu is the president of italy and possibly in his situations can't dish out a 100 million every season for milan to spend.

If we can't afford to buy worldclass players then we should buy youth players and develop them. Go invest in santacroce, Jo, di silverstri etc and co.
Tennie
I thought you believed Milan was a business, blue. smile.gif
MizNelson
Berlu wants to cut wages and supposedly trim dead weight, and yet we invest in another has-been thirtysomething in Becks. Eh, yeah. If he's around next season while Dida gets dumped, I will be very upset.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 6 2009, 05:38 PM) *
I thought you believed Milan was a business, blue. smile.gif

and your point is? Milan is a business. Being a football club and winning trophies is good for business. They go hand in hand. What we are not though is a retirement home for players such as emerson, dida, favalli and co.

If we want to be a good business we must also become a good football club. Buy the best or produce the best to get the best results. Thats how i see it.

As mourinho says: No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem"

We are lacking severly in class one red & black quality eggs right now and that is we are suffering.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Mar 7 2009, 06:06 AM) *
Berlu wants to cut wages and supposedly trim dead weight, and yet we invest in another has-been thirtysomething in Becks. Eh, yeah. If he's around next season while Dida gets dumped, I will be very upset.

You do know that as per the new contract Becks will we paid lesser than/as much as Dida, while still earning more for the club right? As much as it's tough, we have to admit, Becks has been professional and this has meant his marketting revenues have been even higher.

I'll admit I'm really really surprised at how well it worked out. I thought of him as merely being another Emerson type, but this one has been good.

And he does look cool in the red and black. The coolest he's ever been. cool.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 7 2009, 04:16 AM) *
and your point is? Milan is a business. Being a football club and winning trophies is good for business. They go hand in hand. What we are not though is a retirement home for players such as emerson, dida, favalli and co.

If we want to be a good business we must also become a good football club. Buy the best or produce the best to get the best results. Thats how i see it.

Business means selling Kaka also. Don't remember you were pro-Kaka-sale.
Business means selling Maldini, when Real was hot for such an option. Why not?

You know, we can't allways have everything. You have to decide. My decision goes to the board that never disappointed me in 20 years.

As mourinho says: No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem"

Haha.. laugh.gif ...love the Moe quotes. But that's not authentic. Read my sig.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.