Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Italy Supercup to be played in Beijing
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Warchant

ROME (AP) - Italy's traditional season opener, the Supercup, will this year be held in Beijing.

The Italian league on Monday signed a deal with the Beijing Football Association to have the match played at the Chinese capital in August.

The Supercup pits the previous season's league champion against the winner of the Italian Cup. Last year, AS Roma beat Inter Milan 1-0 to win the trophy.

The Gazzetta dello Sport daily reported that Chinese organizers would pay €2.5 million ($3.19 million) to the Italian league as well as all the teams' expenses.

The league declined to confirm the report, saying that details, including the date and venue of the match, will be given at a news conference next month.
Fillipo Simone
Like the time it was played in the US. Don't like that idea...
acid911
Ka-ching! $$$ rolleyes.gif Money talks, after all.
Jack Sparrow
It better. The Serie A could do with some serious ka-ching.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 18 2009, 11:51 AM) *
It better. The Serie A could do with some serious ka-ching.

They should really loer their prices to televise games then. I've read in numerous places that it's the reason why it's barely shown in the UK, they want too much for it.
Ry4n
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 18 2009, 10:41 PM) *
They should really loer their prices to televise games then. I've read in numerous places that it's the reason why it's barely shown in the UK, they want too much for it.

waaa this is england we are talking about man they can't afford it then how come all these channels from all around Europe can and these are wealthy country's unsure.gif

Sport 2 (Hungary)
Sport 1 (Cze/Svk)
Nova Sports
Ry4n
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 18 2009, 10:41 PM) *

waaat this is england we are talking about man how can they not afford it. Then how come all these stations all around Europe can afford the rights unsure.gif for example:

Sport 2 (Hungary)
Sport 1 (Cze/Svk)
Nova Sports (Hellas)
C+ Sport 1 (Pol)
There are many more there on the list that regulary show Serie A games
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Ry4n @ Feb 18 2009, 11:56 PM) *
waaa this is england we are talking about man they can't afford it then how come all these channels from all around Europe can and these are wealthy country's unsure.gif

Sport 2 (Hungary)
Sport 1 (Cze/Svk)
Nova Sports

It's not that they can't afford the prices, it's that they're not worth it. If they want their games shown live in England, they should simply lower the price. The IFA get their games shown, England tv channels get the games at a reasonable prices, people in England get Serie A football. Everybody wins. But they want too much, so we don't think it's worth it, coincidently the only game bought by English tv so far this season in the Mlan derby with Beckham and Jose.. because it'd gain more viewers.
Tennie
And yet, as I understand it, there are bitter complaints that Sky broadcasts so many EPL games (and Setanta the rest) in the UK.

Perhaps it's a matter of taste, Kurt. Sounds like Italian footie isn't all that popular in the UK right now anyway.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Feb 19 2009, 12:25 AM) *
And yet, as I understand it, there are bitter complaints that Sky broadcasts so many EPL games (and Setanta the rest) in the UK.

Perhaps it's a matter of taste, Kurt. Sounds like Italian footie isn't all that popular in the UK right now anyway.

Not sure of who is complaining, or why they would be, getting to watch football is not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. The only problems I have concerning Sky/Setanta showing live games is when they're England internationals, which should always be on BBC, in my opinion.

Italian football isn't that popular, no. But it doesn't help that games aren't being shown, it'd certainly get more followers if the games were being shown.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 19 2009, 02:09 AM) *
It's not that they can't afford the prices, it's that they're not worth it.

Well obviously the Serie A guys think it is worth it... and as Ry4n said there others who pay for it. If the broadcasters in England do not think the price is right, why should the Serie A guys lower it? That does not make sense, it's not like they're desperate or anything.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 19 2009, 02:25 AM) *
Well obviously the Serie A guys think it is worth it... and as Ry4n said there others who pay for it. If the broadcasters in England do not think the price is right, why should the Serie A guys lower it? That does not make sense, it's not like they're desperate or anything.

I'd like to see how much various leagues make through televised games in foreign countries, I don't think Serie A will be doing too well.

Serie A.. not desperate for money.. blink.gif

EDIT: Thinking about it, Serie A could help with attendances, which will result in their clubs making more money if they stop televising games n their own country. Do a US style blackout thing, so games aren't televised in areas close to the stadium, forcing people to go to the games if they want to see them.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 19 2009, 05:12 AM) *
Serie A.. not desperate for money.. blink.gif

Not desperate enough to compromise.
kurtsimonw
Oh well, there loss I suppose. Getting less is better than getting nothing. We'll just have to disagree on this one.
Jack Sparrow
Well the reason, EPL doesn't think it's worth it, is barring the superstars EPL is not that deep in China. It's the Serie A which gets more telecast time there. So naturally a Serie A team match would pull in more money.

Roma v Inter in India, would however draw far less crowds than United v Liverpool.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 19 2009, 03:09 AM) *
It's not that they can't afford the prices, it's that they're not worth it. If they want their games shown live in England, they should simply lower the price. The IFA get their games shown, England tv channels get the games at a reasonable prices, people in England get Serie A football. Everybody wins. But they want too much, so we don't think it's worth it, coincidently the only game bought by English tv so far this season in the Mlan derby with Beckham and Jose.. because it'd gain more viewers.

I pay 'literally' 24 pounds/year for a package from al-jazeera for all of Serie A, La Liga, and the UEFA cup - amongst other competitions.

Compare that to another broadcaster 'showtime', whom I pay 36 pounds/month just for EPL games dry.gif

As an end-user, Serie A is much cheaper for me than the EPL .. Come to think of it, now I know where all that money is getting drained out !! I better stop watching English football dry.gif tongue.gif
Ry4n
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 19 2009, 09:24 AM) *
I pay 'literally' 24 pounds/year for a package from al-jazeera for all of Serie A, La Liga, and the UEFA cup - amongst other competitions.

Compare that to another broadcaster 'showtime', whom I pay 36 pounds/month just for EPL games dry.gif

As an end-user, Serie A is much cheaper for me than the EPL .. Come to think of it, now I know where all that money is getting drained out !! I better stop watching English football dry.gif tongue.gif

AL JAZEERA IS THE BEST HALAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I miss it sad.gif easter can't come quick enough !
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Ry4n @ Feb 19 2009, 12:43 PM) *
AL JAZEERA IS THE BEST HALAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I miss it sad.gif easter can't come quick enough !

It is the best .. Next season, they will broadcast CL too ... I doubt any other sports broadcaster in the world can compete, with the amount of competitions they broadcast
Ry4n
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 19 2009, 10:01 AM) *
It is the best .. Next season, they will broadcast CL too ... I doubt any other sports broadcaster in the world can compete, with the amount of competitions they broadcast

true that everything from Pre Season friendly's too testimonial's and if you can't watch it on Jazeera you just switch to ART Sport tongue.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Ry4n @ Feb 19 2009, 01:07 PM) *
true that everything from Pre Season friendly's too testimonial's and if you can't watch it on Jazeera you just switch to ART Sport tongue.gif

haha !! You know it wink.gif tongue.gif
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 19 2009, 06:13 AM) *
Oh well, there loss I suppose. Getting less is better than getting nothing. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

That's too vague, there are other factors too. Either side have made their own evaluation of the product and it's a matter of pride too they won't sell for less than the want to and they won't buy for more than they want to but Serie A does not exactly have a problem surviving without that money...

Let's say if I could make some money by selling my car that'd help me but it's money I do not desperately need, I would never sell it for less than I value it. You would not sell it for less either.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 19 2009, 09:24 AM) *

£24 a year!? That'd incredible! I think Sky Sports costs £30 a month, then Setanta is £10 a month.. with these 2 channels you get pretty much everything, England, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal, CL, UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup.. but not Serie A, it really is a damn pain having to find a stream every week. dry.gif

On: Supercup in Beiging, I think it's a good idea and wish the EPL would do something similar. The talk of a 39th game to be played overseas is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Now if we just played our Comunity Shield game overseas, everyone is happy. We don't lose a meaningful game, and the Community Shield usually involves 2 of the big 4, so the foreigners will be happy to go and see it. Win/win!
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 19 2009, 07:01 PM) *
£24 a year!? That'd incredible! I think Sky Sports costs £30 a month, then Setanta is £10 a month.. with these 2 channels you get pretty much everything, England, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal, CL, UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup.. but not Serie A, it really is a damn pain having to find a stream every week. dry.gif

On: Supercup in Beiging, I think it's a good idea and wish the EPL would do something similar. The talk of a 39th game to be played overseas is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Now if we just played our Comunity Shield game overseas, everyone is happy. We don't lose a meaningful game, and the Community Shield usually involves 2 of the big 4, so the foreigners will be happy to go and see it. Win/win!

Let me let u into a little secret, I was in London in November .. slotted my jazeera card into the receiver and what do u know wink.gif biggrin.gif

kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 19 2009, 06:51 PM) *
Let me let u into a little secret, I was in London in November .. slotted my jazeera card into the receiver and what do u know wink.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for that. biggrin.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 19 2009, 11:51 PM) *
Let me let u into a little secret, I was in London in November .. slotted my jazeera card into the receiver and what do u know

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif LOL.
xcube
what the hell china ... why why ? go play in mars or moon is that good tongue.gif hehehe it always about money
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 19 2009, 04:01 PM) *

Sky only show EPL, La Liga and CL(which is the best IMO) and I pay nearly £50 a month for the privillege ohmy.gif There is no way I'm paying for setanta as well!!!!!

kurtsimonw
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 20 2009, 08:52 PM) *
there is no way I'm paying for setanta as well!!!!!

To be honest mate, they should be paying us to watch that..
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (xcube @ Mar 20 2009, 12:41 AM) *
what the hell china ... why why ? go play in mars or moon is that good tongue.gif hehehe it always about money

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.