Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beckham: Milan loan not just for England spot
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Warchant
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - David Beckham said on Sunday his move to AC Milan was not just an attempt to secure his spot in England's national team, and promised to give his very best for his new club.

The former England captain joined the Rossoneri from Major League Soccer (MLS) side Los Angeles Galaxy on loan, and will spend three months with the Italian giants before returning to the United States.

Beckham, 33, is in the Emirates as part of AC Milan's winter training and for the upcoming exhibition match against Hamburg.

He is just one appearance away from equaling World Cup-winning captain Bobby Moore's record 108 caps for an England outfield player, but he has failed to figure prominently under new coach Fabio Capello. It is widely believed Capello does not rate the quality of football in the MLS, and Beckham has not started a competitive international under the Italian. Many observers believe his move to Italy is an effort to impress Capello.

"I didn't join Milan just for that reason - to play in Europe and make myself available for England selection," Beckham told a news conference.

"I have never played in Italy and I think it's one of the best leagues in the world," he said. "I want to concentrate on working with the team. I know the kind of team Milan is, the professionalism that exists, and I am willing to work really hard for my place in the squad."

Beckham said he enjoyed life in the U.S., even though he was heavily criticized for moving to Los Angeles.

"I always try to have no regrets in life, or in my career. I made the decision to go to LA two years ago and I've had a good time there," said Beckham. "Now I have this chance to play for one of the biggest clubs in the whole world. I'm enjoying my time with the club and the fans are just great."

According to AC Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti, Beckham could make his Serie A debut on Jan. 11, when the team travels to Rome to face AS Roma.

"He is a great champion," said Ancelotti. "A very, very good player, but he needs to work hard because there is a lot of competition (for his position) in the squad. But we'll use him for sure."
acid911
I still have my suspicions whether he'll be here after 3 months or not. innocent.gif A lot depends on his performance, yes, but what if it's good? Will we then make the transfer permanent if all parties involved, agree on it? Can't wait to find out.
I_Rossoneri
Say what you want about Beckham but he is a very hard worker, hopefully some of this will rub off on the others.
il_diavolo_mtl
i think he will play hard and very well as long as cappello pushes him to play as such for england's national team.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.