Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The battle of the Italian legends
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Warchant
When Juventus hosts rival AC Milan this Sunday night, there will be more than just sole possession of second place in Serie A and a realistic shot at the Scudetto on the line.

Two of this generation's best Italian players will be going up against one another this Sunday, as AC Milan legend Paolo Maldini faces Juventus idol Alessandro Del Piero.

Six years may separate the two Italian legends in age, but the impact that these two players have made on their respective clubs cannot even be measured.

The two captains have led their clubs to countless trophies and, despite never claiming silverware together at the international level, they have teamed together with the Azzurri on numerous occasions. Both are in the top five on Italy's most-capped players, with Maldini sitting atop the list with 126.

However, in recent years, the two have seen their careers take very different directions.

Since returning to Serie A after 2006's match fixing scandal, Del Piero has found a second wind, when it seemed as though his career might be coming to an end.

ADP, who is the all-time appearance leader for Italy's most successful club, topped Serie A's scoring list, as he found the back of the net 21 times and was the main man in one of Europe's most deadly attacks.

And this season Il capitano has come up big when it is needed the most, scoring four Champions League goals, two of which were match winners, and has led Juve to the top spot in Group H.

While Del Piero has found his careers second wind, Maldini has seen the effects of age get the best of him, appearing more on the bench than on the field, and has failed to make more than 20 appearances in Serie A the past three seasons.

Despite that, it's obvious that Maldini's records speak for themselves. Not only is he the most capped player in Italian history, he has also made the most appearances in AC Milan and Serie A history.

However, injuries have begun to impact on his long career. Obviously being 40-years old and a 24-year veteran has something to do with it. Because of that, the AC Milan symbol has to rely more on his incredible defensive instincts rather than his foot speed.

And due to all the injuries to the Milan defense, Maldini has been forced into playing more than he might have expected. Because of that, his role in Sunday's game will be important if Milan want to claim the full three points.

So now the countrymen will face each other once more in another Milan-Juve showdown. Both teams are tied for second place in Serie A with 30 points and are looking to establish themselves as legitimate contenders once again after a few weeks of inconsistent results.

The winner will undoubtedly still have a shot to catch leaders Inter Milan as the Serie A calender heads into the second half. While the loser could be as much as nine points off the pace and with little chance, bar a miracle, of winning the Scudetto.

Not exactly the kind of news you want to hear going into the league's final game before the Christmas break.

But, like so many times before, it will be the two inspirational captains of both sides that will be at the very center of all the action.
acid911
Good read, War. devil.gif Even though my respect for Del Piero has faded a tad over the years, but I still consider him one of the very best of Juventus. Can't wait for the match: Sunday come early, please!
TriniKing_CE

VS

kurtsimonw
Both legendary names in the sport.
acid911
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 12 2008, 03:38 AM) *
Both legendary names in the sport.

Even if one of them can be an a55 sometimes. innocent.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (acid911 @ Dec 11 2008, 06:45 PM) *

blink.gif

dry.gif How So?

[...Keep in mind that I like Del ALOT - probably more than you like Dida!] mad.gif

laugh.gif
acid911
I did not say which one! 96.gif Anyway, I like Dida more than you do Del Piero. I know for a fact. Anyway, to tell you the truth I still respect Alex very much, he's right up there at the top. But he's had his fair share of trouble, with the Italian NT at least.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (acid911 @ Dec 11 2008, 10:45 PM) *

Maldini isn't THAT bad.

tongue.gif
Tennie
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Bad Kurt! -1 cookie.
acid911
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 12 2008, 04:12 AM) *
Maldini isn't THAT bad.

He isn't bad. Period.
TriniKing_CE
Well I found it was funny! innocent.gif
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 12 2008, 04:15 AM) *
Bad Kurt! -1 cookie.

Gee, Tennie, you've been minus(ing) cookies a lot recently. Is this the time of the year you collect them back, and give them again the whole of next year?
acid911
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Dec 12 2008, 04:18 AM) *
Well I found it was funny!

So did I. I was only joking with Kurt.
Tennie
Nah, it's just that Fishdoll is grumpy. He's already not looking forward to the prospect of the 3-month signing being in a Milan jersey.
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 11 2008, 11:20 PM) *
Nah, it's just that Fishdoll is grumpy. He's already not looking forward to the prospect of the 3-month signing being in a Milan jersey.

oh fishdoll could learn in that period that how to bend it like B*****m devil.gif
Tennie
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 12 2008, 04:20 AM) *

Makes sense. innocent.gif But who knows? Maybe Becks will win you over (like Ronaldinho did)?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 11 2008, 11:20 PM) *

It won't be that bad! smile.gif

I think it suits him. biggrin.gif
Habitant
this is a battle i see paolo wining, even though it's against one of the most inform players in all of Europe. del piero has lost lots of pace, and this could play in madlini's favor. it's important he doesnt give him any room to shoot and gets his tackling right, he's been scoring lots of scorchers.
Tennie
cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif You're trying to make Fishdoll cry, aren't you? And after he got flashing Villa antlers!
Rossoneri7
Paolo ale Paolo Maldini devil.gif

Del Piero will get owned time and time again 96.gif

I hope huh.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Dec 12 2008, 04:23 PM) *
I hope huh.gif

laugh.gif
dst
QUOTE (acid911 @ Dec 12 2008, 01:10 AM) *
I did not say which one! 96.gif

Say it now or die a slower-than-Seedorf death!

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 12 2008, 01:12 AM) *
Maldini isn't THAT bad.

HaHaHa ... You're dead!

QUOTE (acid911 @ Dec 12 2008, 01:18 AM) *
Gee, Tennie, you've been minus(ing) cookies a lot recently. Is this the time of the year you collect them back, and give them again the whole of next year?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
TriniKing_CE
Del Piero Is A True Champion – Maldini
Juventus and Milan square off this weekend, and in the lead up to the match, Paolo Maldini has praised his opposing captain Alessandro Del Piero.

The Bianconeri and Rossoneri do battle this weekend in a match that could potentially end one of the side’s dreams of winning this season’s Scudetto.

Both sides are currently on 30 points after 15 rounds of football, however they are six off the pace set by the league leaders and reigning Italian champions Inter Milan.

With the Nerazzurri facing a struggling Chievo this weekend, a win for Juve and Milan is imperative, as defeat could possibly widen the gap to nine points with themselves and the leaders of the competition.

There has been a lot said, by various members of the respective line-ups in the lead up to this contest; however Paolo Maldini of Milan has been the first to come out and actually have something nice to say about the opposition.

The captain of Milan is preparing to face Juventus for the 40th time in his career, and in a recent interview with Sky, he had some kind words of praise for his opposing skipper this weekend Alessandro Del Piero.

“He [Del Piero] is a great guy who deserves everything he has achieved thus far.

“He is a player who puts in a lot of time and effort off the field into making sure he is at his best, and because of that, I believe Alex is a true champion.

“This is the secret to his success, as such passion is required to last so long in a sport,” he added.

The 40-year-old central defender concluded by saying that he is extremely sorry to see Gennaro Gattuso suffer a serious injury, which will obviously keep him out of the crucial clash with the Bianconeri.

Maldini is a true icon of the game, and hopefully for the sake of Italian football, he gets a chance to take part in the contest this weekend.

Adrian Del Monte

Maldini: Del Piero is a true Champion

Maldini: We can catch Inter
Thurday 11 December, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paolo Maldini doesn’t believe only one anti-Inter contender will emerge from Sunday’s Juventus-Milan showdown. “We’re all still in the race.”

Both rivals are currently locked together six points adrift of the Nerazzurri and some are painting this match as a Darwinian endgame in which only the fittest will survive.

“I think that both teams, regardless of Sunday’s result, will have the opportunity to chase Inter,” assured the Rossoneri captain.

“They must, and in fact already are, the candidates to battle Inter for the top of the table.”

It is one of the last editions of this fixture for 40-year-old Maldini, who is set to retire at the end of this season.

“If I play, then I think I’ll have to mark Ale Del Piero. I am very happy for him and his current form, as he is a lovely lad who deserves to be where he is and has natural talent that is out of the ordinary.

“I even bumped into him on holiday and saw how diligently he trains, even during the summer, and that along with passion for the sport is the secret to longevity.”

Another veteran of this clash will not be there, as Gennaro Gattuso is out for up to six months with knee ligament damage.

“Unfortunately his absence will be long-term. Rino is important for us, both for what he gives on the field and the way he charges up his teammates. He had been playing really well recently too, so without doubt we’ll miss him.”

Milan were blasted by some quarters for signing Ronaldinho from Barcelona, but he has proved to be an excellent signing.

“First of all he has remarkable technique, but the real revelation was him as a person,” explained Maldini on Sky Italia television.

“He is a winner, a real champion. He was very open to a far tougher training regime than he was accustomed to, a different atmosphere, stadium and style of play. I think he really has been a surprise for everybody.”

Maldini: we can catch Inter - Channel4Italia.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.