Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calcio Debate: Is Pirlo A Hindrance To Milan?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Zed.D
Calcio Debate: Is Pirlo A Hindrance To Milan?

Milan’s title challenge has taken a turn for the worse over the past month, particularly since the return from injury of Andrea Pirlo. Carlo Garganese asks whether the World Cup winner is a hindrance to the Rossoneri, and whether he can co-exist in the same team as Clarence Seedorf and Ronaldinho…

Andrea Pirlo has played four Serie A games this season, from which Milan have obtained just a single point. One draw, three defeats, and a whopping nine goals conceded. Compare this to the Rossoneri’s league record when Pirlo has not been playing: Played 10, Won Eight, Drawn Two, Lost None.

Coincidence? It seems not.

Milan were touted by many experts as Inter’s most realistic challenger for the Scudetto during the summer, but successive defeats against Bologna and Genoa at the start of the season dampened such expectations. Pirlo then suffered a thigh injury in training in the penultimate week of September, which would rule him out of action for two months.

Without Pirlo, and one must also take into account their excellent UEFA Cup form, Milan excelled. Only a few weeks ago, they had roared to the top of Serie A, and prior to the trip to Torino on November 23, the Diavoli trailed leaders Inter, who they also beat in the derby, by just a solitary point. A 2-2 draw with the Granata, followed by yesterday’s 3-1 reverse at Palermo, has suddenly seen this gap alarmingly increase to six points.

There can be no denying the genius of Pirlo. Old-school players like him are rare in today’s game and, when on form, which he clearly isn’t just yet, there isn’t a better deep-lying playmaker in the world. However, Milan certainly have a problem at the moment trying to tactically fit Pirlo into their line-up.

I personally have my doubts whether the 29-year-old can co-exist in the same team as Clarence Seedorf and Ronaldinho – two players who can also be considered as luxuries. With all three in the same starting XI, do Milan have enough defensive cover? Are they protected at set-pieces? Is there enough pace or athletic efficiency in the team?

Yesterday, Ronaldinho was the only Milan player on the pitch to shine. In fact, despite earlier missing a costly penalty, he was quite sensational in the second half, particularly in the last 20 minutes where he was beating opponents like he used to at Barcelona. It would be impossible to drop Ronnie based on his current form, but surely one of the three has to make way?

This may prove problematic though, as all three players are modern legends who are not going to take kindly to sitting on the bench. At San Siro, Milan can certainly get away with fielding the trio. Away from home, when they need to be more compact and show more resolve, there is always the danger of capitulating just like last night.

Carlo Ancelotti has a tough choice to make.

What are your views on this topic? Is Andrea Pirlo a hindrance to Milan? Can Pirlo, Seedorf and Ronaldinho co-exist in the same starting XI? If not, who should be dropped, and what team and formation should Ancelotti employ? Goal.com wants to know what YOU think…

Carlo Garganese
Jack Sparrow
Bah...
Zed.D
Statistically speaking:

We have played 15 games without Pirlo, won 12, drew 3, lost 0.
We have played 4 games with Pirlo playing. lost 3 and drew 1.

It's no personal judgment. just the plain truth.
Jack Sparrow
Yup...and Carlo has tried to build an argument from that one statistic. He just comes up with feeble excuses in a bid to get a flame war started on the goal.com threads.
Zed.D
Look, it's not like something is wrong with Pirlo. it's just that something is obviously wrong when Pirlo plays. it could be even related to Ronaldinho's arrival...
Jack Sparrow
Actually..it is something wrong with Pirlo. He hasn't played in over 2 months.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 2 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Actually..it is something wrong with Pirlo. He hasn't played in over 2 months.

It is NOT about Pirlo. it is about Milan! why don't you get it? biggrin.gif

Just after Pirlo was ruled out for two months, we started winning. now that he's returned, we haven't won for two consecutive games, and we got hammered in the latest game.

What do you think Cap?
Jack Sparrow
I think it was an offgame. Coz I think the draw that happened with Pirlo in it, was one of Milan's better offensive performances this season.

Actually the 4-3-2-1 would work best with Pirlo in it. Talk to han, he made this monster post with this amazing gameplay theory as well.

The problem with Milan? A cohesive defensive unit. And strikers who are neither in good touch, nor out of it. Once again, it's the age old problem of the mid-field having to carry the team.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 2 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Once again, it's the age old problem of the mid-field having to carry the team.

That's simply because Carlo builds his team around midfielders. they're the backbone of Milan

We truly have a crowded midfield. we field 5 midfielders each game (Ronaldinho is scoring goals like a striker but he is a midfielder. he plays there during a game) not much space is left for strikers, and none of them have seen regular football so far.
kurtsimonw
Pirlo is too one dimensional and doesn't have enough of a game about him in my opinion. When the opposition are in possession, he does nothing. When we're in possession, it's only his passing that's a real threat. But against smaller sides, his passing is almost pointless as he tries to thread the ball between 9 defenders and it's just not going to happen. He's great in the bigger games, but unfortunately there isn't too many of those.
Ry4n
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 2 2008, 12:31 PM) *
Pirlo is too one dimensional and doesn't have enough of a game about him in my opinion. When the opposition are in possession, he does nothing. When we're in possession, it's only his passing that's a real threat. But against smaller sides, his passing is almost pointless as he tries to thread the ball between 9 defenders and it's just not going to happen. He's great in the bigger games, but unfortunately there isn't too many of those.

so in other words he makes it hard for us ? unsure.gif
acid911
Yes, in a way. sleep.gif I already said in the poll that once Pirlo is back we should bench Seedorf, and bring him on as a substitute to Ronaldinho. I don't care if this happens in every game, but Seedorf for the last 30, and Ronaldinho for the first 60 is the way forward.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Dec 2 2008, 12:56 PM) *
That's simply because Carlo builds his team around midfielders. they're the backbone of Milan

We truly have a crowded midfield. we field 5 midfielders each game (Ronaldinho is scoring goals like a striker but he is a midfielder. he plays there during a game) not much space is left for strikers, and none of them have seen regular football so far.

The midfield usualy is a backbone of 90% teams, isn't it?

Nahhh,...4 matches with Pirlo and now he's the one faulty? I don't think so. It's just lake making a poll like - is Milan a dirty team, have 4 yes answers and 0 no answers in the first hour and then put a text: Milan is a dirty team decided by 100% of the voters.

In other words, this statistic is worthless.

But there is a problem with Pirlo beyond just stats. He wasn't his own last season. And I don't think it's related to Ancelotti's tactic's or approach. If someone invented Pirlo it's him and from all the other players at least he knows how to use Pirlo.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (rhy_A4 @ Dec 2 2008, 01:45 PM) *
so in other words he makes it hard for us ? unsure.gif

I believe so. Other top European sides don't often struggle with this kind of thing, players like Deco, Xavi, Gerrard, etc. can all pass the ball well, but they can take people on and help in other ways. Pirlo, in my opinion, can't take people on, so we struggle.
mishie
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 2 2008, 12:31 PM) *

thats got to be a joke surely!!
He's our playmaker in my opinion more important than Kaka he is what makes us tick and these so called statistics are biased...4 games compared to 12 games...bah!
Tennie
Um. Perhaps I should continue my absence rather than reply to these posts, but this once I feel something needs to be said.

Pirlo - who is not match fit - has a couple of bad games after coming back from injury. All of a sudden he's a hindrance to the team, shouldn't be played, etc etc etc. Did Pirlo have a nightmare on Sunday? Yup, him and the rest of the team. Wasn't quite as bad as the 6-0 loss to the cugini back in the dark ages, but it was pretty bad.

Given that lack of match fitness is something that pretty clearly affects a player's game (even the Fishdoll knows this much), one might therefore infer that playing more games is the best way to get soemone up to match fitness.

It seems as if nobody wants to afford Pirlo this luxury, however, and it seems to me that there's a double standard being used.

At the beginning of the season, other of Milan's midfielders were coming back from injury, not match fit, and were, well, bad. Bad passing, bad movement, bad timing, you name it. For these players, however, people were willing to be more patient. 'He's just back from injury, he isn't match fit, give him time'. Of course, perhaps it's silly of me to think that brazilians and italians on the team should be held to the same standard, but I don't see why it's okay to fall over oneself making excuses for Kaka and Ronaldinho while Pirlo isn't given the same latitude.

As for Pirlo's importance to the team, I am going to respectfully agree to disagree with people who think he is a hindrance. He's not match fit right now and once that changes, I fully expect his performance to improve. If it doesn't, Fishdoll will bite him in the nadgers. And for those who think we play better without him, perhaps you might care to cast your minds back to Napoli-Milan last spring. Pirlo was out for that one and we lost 3-1.

(EDIT to correct tenses only).
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (mishie @ Dec 2 2008, 06:42 PM) *
thats got to be a joke surely!!
He's our playmaker in my opinion more important than Kaka he is what makes us tick and these so called statistics are biased...4 games compared to 12 games...bah!

Nope.

Pirlo (all of the following is my opinion of course) can NOT defend. His marking, tackling and heading are all very, very poor. In possession he is one of the Worlds best, but do you seriously think when there is 9 men in the box that he can pick out a pin-point pass? No way. Against teams that just defend he offers very little. Kaka' and Ronaldinho, however, have the ability to take players on in and around the box which is a help against smaller teams. This is how you score goals, win free-kicks, penalties, etc.

Against small teams Pirlo is no use at all, that's just my opinion. Do I think he's a great player? Of course, AGAINST THE RIGHT TEAMS. vs Inter, Juve, Roma, Fiorentina and even teams like Napoli or Lazio he can be very useful as they don't defend with everything they have got, they try to play football.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Dec 2 2008, 09:38 PM) *
The midfield usualy is a backbone of 90% teams, isn't it?

Nahhh,...4 matches with Pirlo and now he's the one faulty? I don't think so. It's just lake making a poll like - is Milan a dirty team, have 4 yes answers and 0 no answers in the first hour and then put a text: Milan is a dirty team decided by 100% of the voters.

In other words, this statistic is worthless.

But there is a problem with Pirlo beyond just stats. He wasn't his own last season. And I don't think it's related to Ancelotti's tactic's or approach. If someone invented Pirlo it's him and from all the other players at least he knows how to use Pirlo.

I don't know if midfield is any team's backbone, but I know Carlo relies on it just too much. or in other words, the attack department and working on making great strikers has clearly been overlooked in Milan.

We haven't had a regular goal scorer since Sheva of probably 2005 and considering the names that have been with us since his departure, one cannot help but think that maybe strikers are not the only ones to blame.

- Gila was a goal machine before he joined us, in Milan he turned a flop, and just as soon as he left us he became a goal machine again!

- Borriello had a stunning season at Genoa but as soon as he re-joined us, a goal drought begun. his goal scoring record in the league so far is not acceptable at all.

- Even Pato scored consistently when he was played regularly last season (he never went through more than 2 games without scoring a goal) but this season due to a change of tactis and system of play [to make space for Dinho] he too is finding it difficult to score goals.

- And Inzaghi has never really been consistent in recent years. in one period he is great, in another, not much.

(note that I didn't even mention Oiveria who was a good striker before and after he played for Milan!)

It's very easy to label all these strikers 'flop' (if Borriello fails, he will be labeled flop too. I'm sure), etc etc etc. when you don't want to accept that "perhaps" something is wrong with the system we play too? why every striker finds it difficult to settle in at Milan? why the coach is ALWAYS faultless and the attackers are ALWAYS at fault when things don't work?

(By the way, when did I say Pirlo is 'faulty', or 'shouldn't play anymore'?? unsure.gif (I've gotta ask this question from Tennie too, if she had me in her mind as one of 'people')) I for one just said when he plays something in Milan changes. it's more complicated than that to say exactly what. it's got something to do with the system, not Pirlo.
gal_kenny
yes actually..He doesn't show as if he's motivated..loses the ball too often....and most importantly..doesn't defend...
Tennie
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Dec 2 2008, 05:39 AM) *
Statistically speaking:

We have played 15 games without Pirlo, won 12, drew 3, lost 0.
We have played 4 games with Pirlo playing. lost 3 and drew 1.

It's no personal judgment. just the plain truth.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 2 2008, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE (gal_kenny @ Dec 2 2008, 04:31 PM) *
yes actually..He doesn't show as if he's motivated..loses the ball too often....and most importantly..doesn't defend...

Interesting comments about the man who was man of the match in the world cup final.

It would seem that, from the above comments kurt and kenny have no time for him and zd implies that Milan is better without him than with him.

I don't believe what I'm seeing here. Frankly, it sickens me that stuff like this is being posted. I'm no longer going to bother responding to what I see as uninformed and biased venom directed at an easy target who -surprise surprise - isn't one of the popular brazilians. Because, in my eyes, Ronaldinho was WORSE in his first couple of games than Pirlo was Sunday. I'm not even going to talk about Kaka's performances which have hardly been stellar this season. oh, no. heaven forfend anyone dare to criticize anything having to do with their games. But criticize a world cup winner who's just coming off injury? Sure, why not? He's only one of the worthless italians on the team. Nobody likes or cares about them anyway because, well, they're crap.
Zed.D
Motivation is a factor that not only Pirlo, but Seedorf and Kaka and some others suffer from. none of them are hungry about success anymore. to take a look at what they've achieved in their careers justifies it though...
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 3 2008, 02:12 AM) *
Interesting comments about the man who was man of the match in the world cup final.

It would seem that, from the above comments kurt and kenny have no time for him and zd implies that Milan is better without him than with him.

I don't believe what I'm seeing here. Frankly, it sickens me that stuff like this is being posted. I'm no longer going to bother responding to what I see as uninformed and biased venom directed at an easy target who -surprise surprise - isn't one of the popular brazilians. Because, in my eyes, Ronaldinho was WORSE in his first couple of games than Pirlo was Sunday. I'm not even going to talk about Kaka's performances which have hardly been stellar this season. oh, no. heaven forfend anyone dare to criticize anything having to do with their games. But criticize a world cup winner who's just coming off injury? Sure, why not? He's only one of the worthless italians on the team. Nobody likes or cares about them anyway because, well, they're crap.

Oh my god...

Tennie, you're as wrong about me as I'm about you. don't you read my posts?

I for one just said when he plays something in Milan changes. it's more complicated than that to say exactly what. it's got something to do with the system, not Pirlo.

I'm not pointing fingers at Pirlo. I'm saying this season we have done better without him [and we have]... I'm saying when he plays something inside Milan doesn't work [I even mentioned maybe because of Dinho's addition]. it's not saying Milan is better without him FFS. how can you interpret my words like that? you're letting me down...
Habitant
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 2 2008, 10:42 PM) *

honestly where do you get this? thats a gross exaggeration, i dont see how people are specifically targeting Italians?

i can easily name around 6-7 players that need to go if were going to properly rebuild, 1-2 of them being Italian.
Tennie
Because, zd, every fault you find with Milan is related to one of the Italians (including the coach). The long knives come out when they make mistakes but if Pato or Kaka have a poor game (and they both have this season) the worse we see is 'he's underperforming'. I'm beyond tired of the double standard.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 3 2008, 02:33 AM) *
Because, zd, every fault you find with Milan is related to one of the Italians (including the coach). The long knives come out when they make mistakes but if Pato or Kaka have a poor game (and they both have this season) the worse we see is 'he's underperforming'. I'm beyond tired of the double standard.

The only one I've always complained about and will ontinue to do so is Ancelotti. because I believe he won't change his ways and that will damage us (it's got nothing to do with his nationality, I'd love to see Spalletti in his place and last time I checked, he was an Italian). but someone like Pirlo?... I strongly believe in the saying form is temporary, class is permanent.

And let's not bring a 19yo into this. Kaka and Pirlo are established superstars. Pato is just a kid in learning process. please let's leave him out of this.
Tennie
Yes, I'm exaggerating deliberately, Habitant. Thing is, I'm doing it because I think others are unfairly harsh on Players Not Named Kaka Or Pato Or Ronaldinho. All the excuses in the world are made if they screw up but other players get no second chances. The tarring and feathering of Pirlo is just the latest example. End of last season and beginning of this one it was the 'Gattuso amd Ambrosini, who should have been sold because Flamini is a clear and obvious improvement' argument. Then there's the 'Pippo is useless' argument and the 'Borriello is a failure' argument. Yet in the post directly above this one, we see an argument stating that Pato shouldn't be criticized because 'he's just a kid'.

What do I really think? Nobody should be above criticism - or praise - when it's warranted. But the same standard should be applied to everyone within reason (we all have players we especially like or especially dislike) or that praise and criticism is worthless because it's then nothing more than bashing or fanboying.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 2 2008, 11:45 PM) *
Yes, I'm exaggerating deliberately, Habitant. Thing is, I'm doing it because I think others are unfairly harsh on Players Not Named Kaka Or Pato Or Ronaldinho. All the excuses in the world are made if they screw up but other players get no second chances. The tarring and feathering of Pirlo is just the latest example. End of last season and beginning of this one it was the 'Gattuso amd Ambrosini, who should have been sold because Flamini is a clear and obvious improvement' argument. Then there's the 'Pippo is useless' argument and the 'Borriello is a failure' argument. Yet in the post directly above this one, we see an argument stating that Pato shouldn't be criticized because 'he's just a kid'.

What do I really think? Nobody should be above criticism - or praise - when it's warranted. But the same standard should be applied to everyone within reason (we all have players we especially like or especially dislike) or that praise and criticism is worthless because it's then nothing more than bashing or fanboying.

I agree.

I'm too tired to qoute all parts of the debate I wanted to comment. It's a dead end really. We can now say once again we disagree and the once more argue about the same thing.

But zd, the striker theory you got, as I admit is interesting and would probably be a very nice read for a first-class sports journal, still is a bit "strained". You think Ancelotti's tactics sucked the goalscoring side of them out? It's unconvincing. Gilardino may have scored many goal for Parma and probably will for Fiorentina but he is no class. I saw George Weah, I saw Marco Simone and a couple of hundreds other strikers and they were class. Gilardino just isn't up to the big stage (yet, maybe in distant future he'll surpass that). Remember he fail with Lippi too.

Borriello? He isn't playing any near that much as he played in Genoa!! Hell, he was injured!!
Pato? Haha. Yeah, he score goals regulary, but you know where. It's quite different.
Ry4n
Can't wait for Pirlo to score a free kick and give his sublime assists i wont make a huge post ect ect i would just like to say i would take him over Emerson as Emerson (is not a creative mid)any day. Pirlo is our Artist and omg hes no good against "Small teams"im sorry i disagree with that entirely, i can think of many a game where he came up with the goods with either a free kick goal or assist. I prefer to judge players at the end of the season but thats just my opinion and im not here to change anyones blush.gif

but i will say this....

FORZA PIRLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and

FORZA MILAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 2 2008, 09:42 PM) *

No. I made for certain that I stated, and did it repeatedly, that Pirlo does not have enough in his locker to help us beat smaller teams, teams that defend from the off.

Did I say Pirlo is very good? Yes. I believe I even went as far as saying World class. But breaking down teams that give him no space is something that he can't do. His MotM performance in the World Cup - or any WC performance, for that matter - was against a World class team that didn't just defend, thus giving him more space.

As for the 'scoring free-kicks' comment. Bit of an irrelevance to me, scoring a free-kick is the same no matter who you play and it's hardly breaking down a team or anything. Even some crap players can score them.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 3 2008, 02:22 AM) *
Nope.

Pirlo (all of the following is my opinion of course) can NOT defend. His marking, tackling and heading are all very, very poor. In possession he is one of the Worlds best, but do you seriously think when there is 9 men in the box that he can pick out a pin-point pass? No way. Against teams that just defend he offers very little. Kaka' and Ronaldinho, however, have the ability to take players on in and around the box which is a help against smaller teams. This is how you score goals, win free-kicks, penalties, etc.

Against small teams Pirlo is no use at all, that's just my opinion. Do I think he's a great player? Of course, AGAINST THE RIGHT TEAMS. vs Inter, Juve, Roma, Fiorentina and even teams like Napoli or Lazio he can be very useful as they don't defend with everything they have got, they try to play football.

Yes I believe he can. Ask LaPalma about the Germany loss in the semis. Your boy, Grosso's goal!! wink.gif

Pirlo cannot defend? Agree. And Makalele cannot pass.

See the thing is, he's not a defensive mid. He's not meant to defend and tackle anymore than Seedorf. I've watched Pirlo, in huge unhealthy amounts even. The way he runs, the way he passes, which direction he looks while running, trying to figure out how he thinks. Coz I wasn't a Pirlo fan to start with. He kinda converted me to a worshipper. WC06 was for me, Pirlo preaching to the choir. Heck..I've never wanted to model someone in play as bad as this ever...not in 15 years!!

As for Pirlo's gameplay. Like I said, he's not a holding mid, nor is he a creative mid. Hence we say he is unique. When mishie, zd, 10ie say he is unique, we don't mean just his ability. It's his position. He plays in the DM area, but he's a creative mid. The world's first deep lying number 10. Xavi for me is the second. And slightly inferior, because of the space afforded to him in the Liga. Don't forget Barca did propose Eto'o for Pirlo. wink.gif They realise his value.

Pirlo's 'defense' is based on cutting down space. He's not a tackler, though he's improved a lot since when he started (he was a SS, then an AM, till he came to Milan). In fact, you guys should know by now, how the Rino-Pirlo vaudeville works. Pirlo tracks, cutting down space, forcing the attacker to pause, giving Rino time to 'kerplonk'!! This goodcop-badcop thing has been going on for a long time, and it's damn effective.

Now Rino takes the ball, and gives it to Pirlo, who then makes the play. Now the problem over the last two seasons has been Seedorf playing too far up. (I've mentioned this before). In that Rino-Pirlo combo, Seedorf was the crucial second act. The 'junction' player. The creative guy, who could back up Pirlo in case Andy's space was cut down. (@kurt: I think this is the reason, why your argument came up about Pirlo not being good when he is shackled). Because with Seedorf in the mid-3, Pirlo has got options besides the up-field long pass.

I think the above is han's argument as well, about the redeeming factor of the XMas. Seedorf playing alongside Pirlo. Fortunately, I think it's possible since Rino is in great touch, and we can afford to play one DM. BUT...the defence sucks, and we need someone to stroll back and back up the CBs. Unfortunately, the only DM we have who does that is Ambro. Emerson can't. Neither can Flamini. They're more forward going DMs.

@zd: I hope it clears things. I apologise about my remarks. I was under the impression, when you made that statement that you were suggesting Pirlo no longer has a place in the XI. I didn't quite figure you were talking about tactics. Sorry.

That is an interesting point, though. See, I always thought, with Ronnie and Kaka, it was going to be a rotating trequartista formation. With the two players, rotating between playing SS and Treq. But the problem here has been, the inability of our fullbacks, to give us the same width as we're used to having in the earlier seasons, with Sergio and Cafu. But that in turn, is I think coz, our CBs are no longer solid enough, to deal with attacks veering in from the flanks. I think if we should rebuild this house, we need to start with the defence. Perhaps get Chez Maldini to help Carlo out with the CBs. I dunno. Coz I will admit, Carlo is not the best drillmaster there is.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 3 2008, 02:15 AM) *

Just two single examples to show you how wrong and unfair you've been towards me:

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Nov 10 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Ronaldinho a 7? please rolleyes.gif

He was ordinary all night. his free kicks were off target. his passes were misplaced. his shots were awful. only did an easy job and tapped the ball into the goal. he doesn't get better than 5.5 or 6 in my eyes.

And Borriello... hope I'm wrong but he's turning out what I expected the day we re-signed him. I said he wouldn't do anything better than Gila, etc. but his first performances really made me eat my words. and now I see he's becoming that Borriello again... the one that tries a lot but remains unsuccessful at the end of the day. hope I'm wrong about all this though...

Gattuso was MotM for me. he really is in his best form since joining Milan. I'm not sure if it doesn't have anything to do with Pirlo's absence (he has the freedom to express himself in the midfield, instead of passing every ball he gets to Pirlo)

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Nov 3 2008, 01:09 AM) *
sleep.gif

Pato... *sigh* what a miss

For some weird reasons he can't be himself when Ronaldinho's on the pitch... also I doubt if his teammates passed the ball to him more than 2 or 3 times. but he wasn't good and this time even I will admit it. that ******* header should have went in! mad.gif

The are more, if you would like...

we see an argument stating that Pato shouldn't be criticized because 'he's just a kid'.

Here's a quote from the man you believe in so much:

Pato has every right to commit an error. Firstly because he is young, and secondly because he is a phenomenon.

Pato cannot be held to the same standards as Pirlo or Kaka. just how can you say otherwise? Pato should be as consistent and effective as a player that like you said was the MotM in the World Cup final and has played a decade of professional football, or a player that was the world's best two years ago? this is not Playstation ffs.

the 'Borriello is a failure' argument.

I was defending the so called flop strikes there and that maybe it's not only their fault that they can't score much goals.

This is unbelievable!!
Fillipo Simone
Nice collage zd, but by all means you shouldn't take this so drasticall. And the quote you made in which you criticise Pato...man...compare it to the other critiques you've been giving.

If you play the card that Pato should be threated different, I agree, but then:

Pippo should also be treated different cause he's 35/6
Maldini cause he's a legend
Pirlo cause he was out for 2 months
Favalli cuase he's a veteran and does not have the strenght any more to run always around

You see what I mean?
Tennie
+1 to Fillipo's statement.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Dec 3 2008, 01:29 PM) *
Nice collage zd, but by all means you shouldn't take this so drasticall. And the quote you made in which you criticise Pato...man...compare it to the other critiques you've been giving.

If you play the card that Pato should be threated different, I agree, but then:

Pippo should also be treated different cause he's 35/6
Maldini cause he's a legend
Pirlo cause he was out for 2 months
Favalli cuase he's a veteran and does not have the strenght any more to run always around

You see what I mean?

I can't criticize Pato for the reason I said, if Darmian (yes, the Italian!) makes mistake I won't say anything because.. that'd be stupid. young players need patience, they need to grow... to say they have to be as good as established stars [e.g. Pirlo, Kaka, Seedorf, etc.] is utterly illogical. so I won't compare Pato's case with Pirlo's or Kaka's. and I won't agree that youngsters should be held to the same standards as 'stars'.

As for Maldini, I'd said I wished he retired after the Athens final and I still stand by that statement. especiually because of his legendary status. in my eyes a legend is someone who retires at the top of his game. just a personal preference. no one has to agree with me.

As for Pirlo, though I NEVER said he shouldn't play ever again and people only put words in my mouth, I take what I [didn't] said back. satisfied? rolleyes.gif let finish this stupid argument regarding Pirlo.

Pippo... it's completely football related. I'm not a fan. but even I once was obliged to admit one can't help but praise him for what he's doing at this age. do I think there are better players out there who could help the team and do more than tap ins? absolutely.

As for Favalli... I don't remember criticizing him when not warranted. though I have to say I strongly prefer Darmian over him, even if Darmian is not a ready-to-go defender yet. if Favalli's age and lack of strength is warrant for his occasional mistakes, so is Darmian's lack of experience. there is not future for a player like Favalli. to waste a young players' career by sitting him on the bench in favor of Favalli in my opinion is wrong. Carlo has no eye for the future. once all these old players retire, we'll have a lot of problems in replacing them. you don't agree with that? OK with me.
dst
Pirlo is not the problem. Carletto is. He asks of him the same things he asked 5 years ago while it is obvious that our opponents learned a long time ago how to stop him and cut our team in half!
Moreover, Pirlo and Seedorf cannot play together anymore... they are the slowest midfield duo in Europe (among the top teams) so it's no coincidence that we look so vulnerable when they are fielded even with two DMF's helping them...

We need CHANGES!
Habitant
QUOTE (dst @ Dec 3 2008, 04:36 PM) *
Pirlo is not the problem. Carletto is. He asks of him the same things he asked 5 years ago while it is obvious that our opponents learned a long time ago how to stop him and cut our team in half!
Moreover, Pirlo and Seedorf cannot play together anymore... they are the slowest midfield duo in Europe (among the top teams) so it's no coincidence that we look so vulnerable when they are fielded even with two DMF's helping them...

We need CHANGES!

pace is our main problem , and on top of that seedorf shifts to first gear as soon as he receives the ball and does useless dribbles while the opponent backtracks and defends.

it's so funny watching us attack because our DM end up having to play wing, ambro on the left and rino on the right... neither of them being pacy so it just doesnt work.

kurtsimonw
Good post, Jack. smile.gif

I'm not saying Pirlo IS the problem, with the way we play he BECOMES the problem. Generally in the xmas tree formation, he is flanked by 2 DMs, which really doesn't help at all when trying to break things down and 'Andy P' has a near impossible task. Like somebody has said before, maybe with Seedorf in place of one of the DMs (So Seedorf AND Ka'a and R80) this will allow us to function as an offensive unit much more effectively.

His pass to Grosso in the SF was very impressive as it was a crowded box. But it was clearly all about the finish! biggrin.gif
vnata001
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Dec 3 2008, 04:29 AM) *
I can't criticize Pato for the reason I said, if Darmian (yes, the Italian!) makes mistake I won't say anything because.. that'd be stupid. young players need patience, they need to grow... to say they have to be as good as established stars [e.g. Pirlo, Kaka, Seedorf, etc.] is utterly illogical. so I won't compare Pato's case with Pirlo's or Kaka's. and I won't agree that youngsters should be held to the same standards as 'stars'.

As for Maldini, I'd said I wished he retired after the Athens final and I still stand by that statement. especiually because of his legendary status. in my eyes a legend is someone who retires at the top of his game. just a personal preference. no one has to agree with me.

As for Pirlo, though I NEVER said he shouldn't play ever again and people only put words in my mouth, I take what I [didn't] said back. satisfied? rolleyes.gif let finish this stupid argument regarding Pirlo.

Pippo... it's completely football related. I'm not a fan. but even I once was obliged to admit one can't help but praise him for what he's doing at this age. do I think there are better players out there who could help the team and do more than tap ins? absolutely.

As for Favalli... I don't remember criticizing him when not warranted. though I have to say I strongly prefer Darmian over him, even if Darmian is not a ready-to-go defender yet. if Favalli's age and lack of strength is warrant for his occasional mistakes, so is Darmian's lack of experience. there is not future for a player like Favalli. to waste a young players' career by sitting him on the bench in favor of Favalli in my opinion is wrong. Carlo has no eye for the future. once all these old players retire, we'll have a lot of problems in replacing them. you don't agree with that? OK with me.

i truly agree with this. most of the frustration with our squad stems not from dislike of our players, but knowledge that there are better alternatives that we purposely ignored because we think our old guard can NEVER do wrong.

i hate doing this. but look at the best team in the world ATM - Man U. Scholes is revered there. But that doesn't stop SAF from playin the younger Carrick, Anderson, Hargreaves ahead of him. Doesn't mean he's less respected. Giggs is a Man U legend. Doesn't stop SAF from having Cristiano and Nani ahead of him.

SAF has a system where the youngsters and the vets are in symbiosis. When Scholes and Giggs get the run, the youngsters watch respectfully. When the youngsters get the run out, the vets watch with understanding. There is no debate about whether Scholes is being disrespected. When his form dips, he's out cuz there's a youngster good enough to keep him out if necessary. and that's fair.

What some of us are calling for is some comparable up-and-coming talent that can push the vets to the edge of their competence, so they're always playing hard, and at the same time breathe some new energy into the squad. It's not disrespect of our current crop, but more recognition of where we could be better.

Kaka, Dinho, and Pato don't get much slack because our team is covered in that department. If those 3 can't produce, who else in the world will? We're playing so lackluster lately, that on the day that these 3 are off, we lose. When they are good, we win unconvincingly. Shouldn't a team with those 3 players in attack win small on our off days and huge on our good days? We have the squad to do that. They're doing all they can, but but it's the other parts that have consistently underperformed as well, that's why we get our unconvincing 1-0 wins, and our shock losses. Put Ka-Pa-Ro together on a team with comparable positional talent behind them and that team wouldn't lose. Pirlo's world class. but the problem is when he's hurt we change our gameplan completely, not always to good effect. but how about a Pirlo/Xavi type up and commer to replace/learn from him, instead of saying we're covered in his position and then fielding (emerson) 3 DMs and hurting our play.

With players like Pippo, Maldini (who is the reason I'm a fan of this team), Favalli, Emerson..instead of counting so steadfastly on them, why not inject some youthful potential? THe first two are icons, and command respect, yes, but it's time to bring some youth that can actually learn from them while theyre here. Not just have them leave and then sort out the problem of replacing them, and in the meantime call anyone who wants to see that happen as bias and unloyal to the old guard. Instead of Emerson why not Veloso? Instead of Favalli why not someone with greater potential who is just about/if not as good as Favalli is already, which considering he's 36 shouldn't be too hard. Why not bring a young stalwart defender to push Maldini out of the lineup fairly. So he can learn from il capitano, not just replace him and step into that huge pressure cooker alone.

It's clear that this team really is aging in most areas. Players like Emo, Fav, Pippo don't really present a solution to that, in fact the only compound the matter. they don't represent our future, and our present with them isn't peachy. They aren't playing at a very high level, so no disrespect to the great veterans, but why not look to the future? why do we have to squeeze every single ounce we can out of aging, tiring veterans until they literally can't do it anymore, and THEN we look to replace them. A look to the future is having the clubs interests at hand, not disrespecting the current players..

SAF has shown that he can simultaneously look to the future while respected the past and maintaining high levels of play in the present. why is that something we can't do?
Tennie
I'm tired of arguing the point but vnata's nicely-reasoned post makes it for me in reverse, in a way.

I'm going to respectfully disagree, however, with the assertion that there's no disrespect of the current Milan squad. I think the disrespect is pretty rampant with three notable exceptions.

The fact that there is an automatic assumption that Kaka/Ronaldinho/Pato are the ones who get things done for the team. Ronaldinho has done very well indeed - far better than I ever expected. Pato has been hit-or-miss. Kaka on the whole has been pretty poor, all things considered. I've seen the Portsmouth game and to be honest, I think he sucked donkey balls. If he was supposed to be playing as a trequartista, it's news to me and apparently was to him because he sure as heck didn't do it. What I find annoying - and, to be honest, biased - is the focus bordering on obsession with the three brazilians. There ARE other players of quality on the team, you know.

The one player this season that I would argue is the untouchable player is Gattuso. I'd put the disaster in Palermo more down to his absence than that of a Kaka in lousy form.

I'd also argue against an assertion that Pippo's not playing at a high level. He's no more consistent, perhaps, than Pato, but it wasn't the 19 year old who got Milan the point against Portsmouth (where Kaka forgot how to be a trequartista) or the win against Liverpool or who put two past Gianluigi Buffon in Turin last year. Would I have preferred that Paloschi stay with the club and Shevchenko...stay in London? Yep. But that's not how it turned out.

People seem to enjoy berating Emerson for all the faults of the team but in point of fact, he was the one midfielder on Sunday who played at anything approaching an acceptable level. If he's disliked, fine. But that doesn't mean he's a bad player.
Fillipo Simone

Young people -- make mistakes - learn from mistakes - realize mistakes through criticism - gain experience
I will use every objective oppotunity to criticize young people especially. You know why? I think it's pointless to shout at Emerson or Pippo cause they done their thing, were world class, played great matches, moved things. Now they are at the age were everything good they do is a add, a bonus like you said to their career. They cannot change. It's too late. They have the experience needed and the stopped learning.

On the other side, the youngsters have place for improvement, for learning. Therefore it makes much more sense to point out their week spots how can be polished out.
Giocare08
How can you guys be saying this? This is Andrea pirlo the Andrea Pirlo I dont think Ronaldinho and Seedorf can do what he does. Pirlo is imo or most unique and priceless player. Without him this team would be nowhere. Those results are a load of ****. I personally think that we should line up something like this...
Abbiati; Zambrotta, Bonera, Kaladze, Janku; Gattuso, Pirlo, Flamini;Kaka;Pato Borriello
4-3-1-2
Pirlo should be the focal point of our midfield, I think that it is Ronaldinh ostepping on Pirlo's feet when they both play and Seedorf should definetly be benched before Pirlo.
PatitoFeo
I agree that a Pirlo-Seedorf midfield duo lacks pace, but soccer/football is not a horse race. I like to see them both play, and neither is much slower than a few years ago when Milan won the CL. The difference is that Kaka has really dipped in form since then. He looks dangerous, but is not scoring goals at the same clip.

But no one could ever EVER criticize Ricky.....
Mook
Emphasis is always going to be placed on those who score/assist and thats why when we win alot of the praise is placed on Kaka', Dinho and Pato. Kaka' has been terrible this season, he loses the ball more and he struggles to beat his man. For me Gattuso has been our best player easily this season, personally I think he has been in career best form since Pirlo has been out.

As far as Emerson and Favalli goes they should have been shipped off (or shot) before the start of the season. It's all fine having them in the squad for the Coppa Italia games or some of the UEFA games but not as first team players. Were suppose to be the best club in the world and we have players as such who don't embody anything close to world class, let alone class. As Maldini goes, personally I think he should have left after Athens. As far as Pippo goes, like I've said the team has to be playing well and providing him with chances. If that doesn't happen he will offer literally nothing and thats why he should either play from the bench or have a supporting striker.

Back on topic, surely you can't say Pirlo is a hindrance based on what he's done over the last few seasons. He sets the tempo and rhythm for the team, however sometimes this may be a fraction too slow. But just like Kaka' he can be having a poor game and make the difference with one of his defense splitting passes or free kicks. It is true he is not great defensively and occasionally holds onto the ball a fraction too long but his vision and short/long passing game more than makes up for it most of the time. The problem right now is truly knowing how to utilize the squad in terms of tactics and formations, particularly because were very short at the defensive end. But the biggest problem of all is that Carlo is too stubborn to change his current tactics and formations and try something new and innovative. I mean really with the team we got we should be able to play some very attractive consistent football rather than the dull games we've produced all season with a few moments of brilliance here and there. As a result right now I don't think were actually relying on anyone since were playing that badly. Obviously with that many world class players were simply just relying on one or two moments of brilliance to get us through.
Astafjevs
I think the opposition has realised that if you stop Pirlo, you stop Milan. It's therefore not Pirlo, more that we lack ideas when he is marked by the opposition.

Our problem is tactical. The 4-3-2-1 does not work very well, even less so when the midfield trio is Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini/Flamini. The reason being that we have no-one to break forward and offer support. Ambrosini is given that role, but he is a DM, and therefore when he attacks he is not effective. So we have the defence, the midfield, a big gap, and then the two Brazilians, then another gap, and the striker.

Even with Seedorf in this system instead of Ambrosini, it isn't always 100% effective because while we have the attacking threat from midfield, our striker is isolated.

I also have concerns about whether Kaká and Ronaldinho can play together. I've not seen them play well together once for Brazil, and it's been the same story at our club.

The 4-3-1-2 is the way to go. That way you have two strikers, and then Kaká behind. You could put Ronaldinho in that midfield trio, but then you could say that he is too deep. You also then have the problem of when we lose the ball, that player is expected to get back and defend, which Ronnie won't fulfil. Therefore one of them has to be dropped.

If we are to play 4-3-2-1, then the following may be an idea:

CODE
Abbiati

Zambrotta Nesta Maldini Jankulovski

Gattuso Pirlo Seedorf

Ronaldinho

Kaká

Inzaghi

It may look slightly imbalanced, but it is in fact only one player - Ronaldinho - who is oddly positioned. He was fantastic on the left hand side for Barca. We're not getting the best out of him where he currently is, so I think if we're to use the 4-3-2-1, we need to stick him out wide and let him do what he did in Spain. Kaká gets more space to work, and Seedorf more to break into.
Astafjevs
Also may help if Pirlo had someone decent to replace him. He's playing every single game.
Jack Sparrow
I think Flamini was meant to be that 2nd DM who could push forward. But he will take time to acclimatize. The idea behind this was I suppose, since Seedorf, Kaka and R80 could be rotated.

I'd have Astafjevs(dude you have to give us a shorter name..) formation too. Except, I'd have Kaka and R80 rotate their positions in the course of the match. The idea would be to put Kaka wherever there was maximum space. So if the opponents were playing with a packed midfield, Kaka would be useless. I'd put R80 there, since besides Pirlo he is also capable of making long passes that split the opposing mids and leave Kaka open in space.

Inzaghi? I'd prefer Boriello, but that man is competing with Pippo for max time spent injured so... unsure.gif
Astafjevs
Depends whether Flamini can offer us the creativity Pirlo can. Pirlo is a very unique player, there aren't many of his type around at the moment. Carrick, Xavi, Veloso and Banega are the only ones that spring to mind. At the moment it's clear that Emerson is the one who is the Pirlo replacement, which isn't good to be honest.

I've always thought of Flamini as closer to Gattuso in style than Pirlo, but with slightly better tachnique than Rino. It might actually be worth trying to obtain a like-for-like Pirlo player, that way he gets a rest. There's also no harm in playing them both, that way the opposition have more trouble when it comes to marking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.