Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A to break Away and become Super League
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
gal_kenny
Italy's top-flight is set to follow the example of the Premier League in England by breaking away from the other divisions.

Serie A and Serie B clubs have never seen eye to eye on money when it comes to deciding television rights.

The two divisions make up the Italian League and the chairmen of each club have been meeting this week to try and broker a deal.

But Serie B is set to reject an offer of nearly £40million for television rights from their Serie A counterparts; a decision that is set to hasten the split.

Serie A clubs have seen how profitable a breakaway can be, with the Premier League now the most lucrative domestic competition in the world.

"The day has arrived. The league is 20 years behind and we cannot lose any more time," the president of Serie A's Cagliari Massimo Cellino was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Serie A is separating from B."
dst
This is important... wonder when it's going to take effect.
Ry4n
interesting turn of events !

Zed.D
Am I stupid? I can't exactly understand! Serie A to separate from Serie B. what on earth does that mean? unsure.gif
acid911
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Oct 7 2008, 10:33 PM) *
Am I stupid? I can't exactly understand! Serie A to separate from Serie B. what on earth does that mean?

This means that Serie A will be a completely different entity than Serie B. Much like in the English league, the numero uno is Premiership. And then there is a the Championship and lower divisions, they are separate from the EPL. tongue.gif Basically, it means more revenue for Serie A.
Bluesummers
different name differents sponsers different everything. Instead of Serie B it'll be called Italian championship or something or Serie A will be called the IPL, Italian premiere league.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Oct 24 2008, 10:41 PM) *
different name differents sponsers different everything. Instead of Serie B it'll be called Italian championship or something or Serie A will be called the IPL, Italian premiere league.

I'd actually like it more if it stayed Serie A.
Zed.D
Italian premier league laugh.gif no thanks. Serie A or La Lega! is better.
Jack Sparrow
Does this mean more money for Serie A clubs?And when does this come into effect officially.
woody
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Oct 26 2008, 05:38 PM) *
Does this mean more money for Serie A clubs?And when does this come into effect officially.

I thought I heard that they came to some sort of agreement and thus it wasn't coming into effect anymore.
Tennie
So far as I know they did come to agreement.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 8 2008, 03:16 PM) *
So far as I know they did come to agreement.

Yes they have come to an agreement some time ago
dst
I can confirm it too.

Anyone else? tongue.gif
acid911
QUOTE (dst @ Nov 8 2008, 07:44 PM) *
I can confirm it too.
Anyone else?

Do we get some sorts of a commission or something like that? unsure.gif If so, count me in! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.