Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ancelotti at Risk
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 08/09
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tennie
(from Gazzetta)

The black moment of Milan and the secret meetings are described in Gazzetta's print edition. After the slap of Lugano, the coach attacks the team. Yesterday there was a face-to-face with Galliani. But they're already thinking of the future. Donadoni is in pole, but the dream is Rijkaard

MILANO, 12 september 2008 - Milan in crisis? It's a little early to say. But something isn't working. Gazzetta's print edition recounts the post-Lugano where the squad lost an ugly 2-0 friendly and the face to face of the rossoneri with Galliani. Polemics and tensions aren't lacking.

After the heavy defeat in the friendly, Carlo Ancelotti attacked the players with a peremptory: 'Now it's broken. It's a race." (fishdoll note: not certain of phrasing here). But now inevitably his job is at risk. Against Genoa, a beautiful victory is needed, while they're already naming names for the future. In pole is the former NT coach Roberto Donadoni. But the dream is Frank Rijkaard.

Today Ronaldinho joins the group after the whistles with the Selecao. His condiiton is to be evaluated; it'll be Ancelotti to decide whether or not to play him at the Marassi. For Inzaghi a stop of about 20 days, while Borriello has started to run with the team. Surely a good notice.

(Channel 4's take on this)

Carlo Ancelotti's position on the Milan bench looks increasingly unsafe as rumours circulate that Roberto Donadoni is ready to step in.

The Rossoneri made a miserable start to the season with a shock defeat at home to Bologna on the opening day.

To make matters worse, the new-look Milan also lost to Lugano in a friendly and turned in a performance that left Carletto fuming.

After a crisis meeting between Ancelotti and Vice-President Adriano Galliani, La Gazzetta dello Sport believes there is an air of tension and uncertainty.

In the event of defeat against Genoa this weekend, Ancelotti could be relieved of his duties.

Former Italy boss Donadoni pulled out of the running for the West Ham job and there are rumours that the ex-Milan midfielder did so in order to chase his dream job at San Siro.

However, ex-Barcelona tactician Frank Rijkaard, who wore the Rossoneri shirt between 1998 and 1993, is believed to be Milan's first choice.

Tennie
Mediaset's got a similar article. Theirs adds that Ancelotti will have a face-to-face with the players before today's training.

They list the same names as possible replacements but add a couple of other options. First that there may be an internal option (Tassotti or Galli) or maybe that Spaletti will be considered - but Spaletti will only be available in June.
Zed.D
Not a single word from Carlo after the Lugano defeat. not a single news about Pippo's condition either. looks like the situation is not good at Milanello. I'm beginning to think Genoa game is do or die for Carlo...

By the way, any guesses on why Silvio was 'laughing' (and not those kinds of sad and bitter laughs, he was happy!) right after the Bologna game ended. it was strange...

(Donadoni? please no. he is yet to prove himself. doing good at Livorno doesn't mean anything, and we all saw his Italy wasn't really good at the Euros... I think he still needs to coach smaller sides a few more years before he can be considered for Milan job. Rijkaard is the man for me)
vahid
Tassotti,Galli,Donadoni and same managers will relegate us to Serie B! Spaletti and Prandelli are the best choices but they're not available.
Nova
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Sep 12 2008, 12:50 PM) *
By the way, any guesses on why Silvio was 'laughing' (and not those kinds of sad and bitter laughs, he was happy!) right after the Bologna game ended. it was strange...

i think it was cause milan played a great game with lots of chances and didnt finish off. Plus Ronnie was man of the match . maybe ? idont know smile.gif
Tennie
Berlusconi was apparently happy at Ronaldinho's performance - and admittedly it was a VERY good performance.

There's incidental news in the Gazzetta piece that Pippo will be out 3 weeks.

I agree that Donadoni is not a good option. The speculation including Galli is interesting - he's the one who won the Berretti scudetto a couple of years ago and has apparently been doing rather well. At this point - despite the speculated feud with Ronaldinho - my pick would probably be Rijkaard too, if he has an assistant that is good at people-managing.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Nova @ Sep 12 2008, 02:28 PM) *
i think it was cause milan played a great game with lots of chances and didnt finish off. Plus Ronnie was man of the match . maybe ? idont know smile.gif

QUOTE (Tennie @ Sep 12 2008, 02:29 PM) *
Berlusconi was apparently happy at Ronaldinho's performance - and admittedly it was a VERY good performance.

I know, but Milan lost... could it be that he was thinking about Carlo at the moment? biggrin.gif
CrazyMilanFan
there are some manger who we can consider like zico he would like a team with so many brazillians then rijkaard of course as he is jobless aswell and an ex player same goes for dondoni puke.gif
Zed.D
Looks like Donadoni is not a popular choice right now...

Anyway, I don't dislike his style. I think he likes attacking football since he was a winger himself, but problem is that he hasn't won anything, neither has he managed a team so full of superstars before. it's a big risk to go for him IMO. Frank on the other hand has everything that it takes to succeed Carlo... give him Billy as assistant and we'll be great!
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Sep 12 2008, 12:20 PM) *
Looks like Donadoni is not a popular choice right now...

Anyway, I don't dislike his style. I think he likes attacking football since he was a winger himself, but problem is that he hasn't won anything, neither has he managed a team so full of superstars before. it's a big risk to go for him IMO. Frank on the other hand has everything that it takes to succeed Carlo... give him Billy as assistant and we'll be great!

yea frank means a total new system as far as don is concerned his attacking formation was that 4-3-3 whihch i think is quite what we are playing rite now
kurtsimonw
I'm thinking whether it's worth more wanting to lose this game in order to get rid of him. I'm sure it will be good for the club in the long run.
KillerMax
About damn time. Though I prefer Costacurta to take charge. All the other options don't sound so appealing to me. Billy has a very strong drive to succeed and he certainly knows about motivating players. I would take Spalletti in a heartbeat, but he is unavailable at the moment.
Zed.D
QUOTE (KillerMax @ Sep 12 2008, 04:53 PM) *
About damn time. Though I prefer Costacurta to take charge. All the other options don't sound so appealing to me. Billy has a very strong drive to succeed and he certainly knows about motivating players. I would take Spalletti in a heartbeat, but he is unavailable at the moment.

You can't be serious! Billy has no real experience as a coach whatsoever. I argue he may not succeed. I'd rather he becomes the next coach's assistant. Rijkaard+Billy is my dream lineup at the moment, considering the circumstances.
Tennie
I'd love to see Billy back too. Dropping him in the deep end - ie, taking over Milan with no head coaching experience - is a gamble, but...I dunno. Rijkaard + Billy or Galli + Billy might work.

(Caveat: Billy has always been one of my favourites.)
Rossoneri7
LOL .. carlo at risk, yeah right rolleyes.gif
Darunia
I hope Carlo and Spalletti trade places! But this will only happen at the end of the year, and only if Milan has a poor season. So, I hope this doesn't happen =/
armiss
These words from Gazzetta or others are more like very funny JOKES , again Galliani and Berlusconi are going to be very crazy and stupid ? Galliani and Berlusconi behavior with Capello in Milan was once very false and they hit very bad from this in 1995 till 2003 , who can say Capello was weak ??! someone who took off Real Madrid from 6 for 9 , who was the winner with Rome and Juve in Serie A , they get rid of Capello very qiuckly , and they get their answers too , Galliani can do his job first , he must be very ungrateful towards himself because of sweaty actions in market , for Gilardino , Kaladze and Maldini ! Galliani can change Ancelotti and then start to finding and changing coaches loops for many years !
Bluesummers
LOL! yeah okay carlo at risk hahahahahaha. Watch us win and we'll be talking about contracte extensions by wednesday. what a dozer of a joke hahahahahaha laugh.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Darunia @ Sep 12 2008, 07:58 PM) *
I hope Carlo and Spalletti trade places! But this will only happen at the end of the year, and only if Milan has a poor season. So, I hope this doesn't happen =/

There has been a lot of talk in all quarters of the media spectrum, of rumors that Carlo's time is almost up. His contract runs out at the end of the season and that there is a host of coaches being lined up to take his place.

What is not being noted is that Carlo is a very respected person within both Via Turati and Milanello. He is by far one of the top three coaches who worked under Berlusconi and has brought Milan to the top of european and world rankings. Moreover the media also don't state that he has his player's trust and if successful in this years race to the Scudetto could remain for one more season.

It is no secret that Carlo would want to be the head coach of Roma one day, but it is also no secret that Carlo's success is under the umbrella of Milan.
Tennie
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 12 2008, 01:33 PM) *
what a dozer of a joke hahahahahaha laugh.gif

swear1.gif -1 cookie.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Sep 12 2008, 11:41 AM) *
swear1.gif -1 cookie.

hahahah tongue.gif psshhh you can minus all day and it wont ever get to zero. I got so many cookies from ya tennie that i can hardly begin to count.
Bluesummers
lol the only carlo i know whose at risk is giancarlo lol. Tahts all im gonna say on the subject.
Habitant
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 12 2008, 05:33 PM) *
LOL! yeah okay carlo at risk hahahahahaha. Watch us win and we'll be talking about contracte extensions by wednesday. what a dozer of a joke hahahahahaha laugh.gif

it's going to take more than 1 win to make up for 2 years of poor results.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 12 2008, 08:19 PM) *
lol the only carlo i know whose at risk is giancarlo lol. Tahts all im gonna say on the subject.

You're out of line with that comment. How am I at risk? Or are you just gonna make little snipes at me whenever you get a chance? Good luck with your second rate coach training.

That is if you're not lying about that either.
acid911
QUOTE (Habitant @ Sep 13 2008, 01:38 AM) *
it's going to take more than 1 win to make up for 2 years of poor results.

Poor is finishing 2nd or 3rd in the league. dry.gif What we went through in the last couple of years is totally unacceptable. More so when you factor in the quality of players we have. If the best player in the world (Kaka) ends with diddlysquat two years running you get the picture.

Yeah, yeah, I know we did win the CL. And a couple of other trophies. But we weren't even the best club in the city. dry.gif What difference does a CL win makes when you get hammered three times in a row by a club such as inter. Not even draws. Consecutive losses.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (acid911 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:51 PM) *
Poor is finishing 2nd or 3rd in the league. dry.gif What we went through in the last couple of years is totally unacceptable. More so when you factor in the quality of players we have. If the best player in the world (Kaka) ends with diddlysquat two years running you get the picture.

Yeah, yeah, I know we did win the CL. And a couple of other trophies. But we weren't even the best club in the city. dry.gif What difference does a CL win makes when you get hammered three times in a row by a club such as inter. Not even draws. Consecutive losses.

Perhaps because international trophies do matter... while Inter hasn't won a CL in nearly 40 years... lol. That makes the difference for me.
acid911
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Sep 13 2008, 01:53 AM) *
Perhaps because international trophies do matter... while Inter hasn't won a CL in nearly 40 years... lol. That makes the difference for me.

Maybe, but we should at least be able to put up a fight against our city-neighbors. sad.gif It could have been four in a row, if not for the magic of Kaka and Seedorf in the last derby. This year it'll be different, I know. I'd even expect us to win and win good.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (acid911 @ Sep 12 2008, 10:09 PM) *
Maybe, but we should at least be able to put up a fight against our city-neighbors. sad.gif It could have been four in a row, if not for the magic of Kaka and Seedorf in the last derby. This year it'll be different, I know. I'd even expect us to win and win good.

Perhaps. Time to put that behind us and look towards the future.
Darunia
Must-win game for Carlo I think. A loss = gone. A draw.. depends.
acid911
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Sep 13 2008, 02:12 AM) *
Perhaps. Time to put that behind us and look towards the future.

Yeah. cool.gif

QUOTE (Darunia @ Sep 13 2008, 02:13 AM) *
Must-win game for Carlo I think. A loss = gone. A draw.. depends.

It's not that crystal, believe me. biggrin.gif Depending on how things go, he has till Christmas to grab the first or second spot. First it should be, really, seeing as our squad's strength and quality. If we're still struggling at third or fourth (or lower, hehe) then we'll have a new man at the top come the winter transfer window.
Tennie
There's an argument to be made that if there's an imminent change coming for the Milan coach, it might actually be better to wait til the Christmas break to do so.
han2503
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Sep 12 2008, 08:53 PM) *

As acid said, that CL has no effect on anything, what do people mostly remember from that season is getting humiliated by Inter and Roma, and barely managing to make the 4th spot. And to have that happen two years in a row for Milan is in fact unacceptable.

I don't care how long it's been since Inter won the CL, I only care about what my team does. And what they have been doing is struggling though the domestic league for these past 3 years, when we have a team with some of the best players in the world.

Carlo should have finished with Milan after the CL. His cycle has been over for even longer then that now, he's not Fergie, and he won't coach 3 generations of this Milan side. Not with his personality and the board we have. And if we are not in the top 2 position be winter break I would seriously think that he will get fired during this season. Galliani made it pretty clear that he wants the Scudetto. and although I don't agree with his arrogance and the way he has no respect for Carlo either. He is the one that will make the call along with Silvio.
acid911
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 13 2008, 02:33 AM) *
And to have that happen to years in a row for Milan is in fact unacceptable.

That's the keyword here. dry.gif If we were a club the stature of Roma, Valencia, Sevilla, Stuttgart, etc, then one could say he could be forgiven. But being the top club in UEFA rankings, and one of the most respected and talented clubs in the world, those last couple of years were disasters. Good post, Han.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:33 PM) *
As acid said, that CL has no effect on anything, what do people mostly remember from that season is getting humiliated by Inter and Roma, and barely managing to make the 4th spot. And to have that happen two years in a row for Milan is in fact unacceptable.

I don't care how long it's been since Inter won the CL, I only care about what my team does. And what they have been doing is struggling though the domestic league for these past 3 years, when we have a team with some of the best players in the world.

Carlo should have finished with Milan after the CL. His cycle has been over for even longer then that now, he's not Fergie, and he won't coach 3 generations of this Milan side. Not with his personality and the board we have. And if we are not in the top 2 position be winter break I would seriously think that he will get fired during this season. Galliani made it pretty clear that he wants the Scudetto. and although I don't agree with his arrogance and the way he has no respect for Carlo either. He is the one that will make the call along with Silvio.

I don't share your sentiment. I defend Carlo and I think he should stay.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (acid911 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:51 PM) *

wise words cool.gif
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (Tennie @ Sep 12 2008, 10:32 PM) *
There's an argument to be made that if there's an imminent change coming for the Milan coach, it might actually be better to wait til the Christmas break to do so.

TBH it would have been better to change before the season started. We're starting to look like the joke club now!
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 12 2008, 10:33 PM) *

You've gone and done it again han cool.gif

acid911
QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Sep 13 2008, 02:38 AM) *
I don't share your sentiment. I defend Carlo and I think he should stay.

Then be prepared for some nasty fireworks if he does. sad.gif Unless he improves his man management drastically, and suddenly leaves his stubbornness behind. If he does that, then okay. If not, it'd be either him or the first place. Not both.

Don't forget how humiliated we were just a few months back. Finished 5th. God I hate saying that. dry.gif And it may look somewhat acceptable to us fans, it surely doesn't do to the management. Remember they also have corporate deals that decrease drastically if a club does not finish in the top 3. Heck, most are structured so that if a club finishes first he gets a set amount of money. Second place means a nasty cut in the $$$, third place, even more. There are hundreds of such deals.

Guys like Mr. B and Fester can't accept not qualifying for the CL, not finishing first, and keep on paying the millions to the coach, management guys and the players. huh.gif Quote me on this. Milan is neither a charity, nor a non-profit organization. One year out of the CL revenue, will hurt. A few more could make things really stale and murky. Even if we do finish with some gold, it'd be more due to the new signings we made (thanks Galliani) than Carlo's ability. Look where he left us when he had a mediocre squad. If you're a fan of Carlo, that's understandable, but you can still be a fan if he moves to another big club. Having said that, I do hope he gathers himself up. I'm tired of these stupid defeats to smaller, pesky teams.
I_Rossoneri
The only thing I will say is that carlo knows how to play CL football - just a pity he forgot about Serie A!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Sep 12 2008, 10:54 PM) *
The only thing I will say is that carlo knows how to play CL football - just a pity he forgot about Serie A!

Unfortunately, winning a CL every 5 years and doing nothing else is good enough. It's just not acceptable. A club like this should win a minimum of 2 league titles every 5 years, while making at least the latter stages of the European Cup every year. Last year was a complete embarassment.

Serie A should come first, always.
Zed.D
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Sep 13 2008, 01:41 AM) *
Unfortunately, winning a CL every 5 years and doing nothing else is good enough.

Kurt, are you aware of the fact that we played THREE CL finals in 5 years and won 2, not 1?
Bluesummers
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Sep 12 2008, 11:08 PM) *
Kurt, are you aware of the fact that we played THREE CL finals in 5 years and won 2, not 1?

we also have gotten 4th and 5th place for the last 3-4 years. Are we liverpool?
Zed.D
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 13 2008, 08:42 AM) *
we also have gotten 4th and 5th place for the last 3-4 years. Are we liverpool?

I never liked the way we treated Serie A, but that's apparently how the management want it... they're crazy for international titles because they can make Milan the #1 club in the world rolleyes.gif but the way we've been doing in the league, there is a good chance that we won't even be the #2 in Italy anymore.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Sep 13 2008, 06:08 AM) *

That's a fair point (For some reason I always think the Manchester win was 2001, no idea why!), but I still feel there is way too much emphasis on the Champions League. If we are not finishing within a credible distance of the league winners, then I really do find it difficult to call it a huge success. The Athens win, for me, was made better because of who we beat in the final. Other than that? I'd give the season a 6 out of 10, maybe a 7 at a push, but that's it. 2003 was a different story as we did well in the league.

Doing well in the league + not doing well in the European Cup, I'll accept.. since the whole basis of football is on how teams do in their own league. Doing crap in the league + European Cup win? Not good enough. I'm not saying the European Cup win doesn't mean anything, but it means alot less.

The Champions League doesn't really 'matter' until February for the top teams, while every league game is very important.

Winning the World Club Cup doesn't make you the #1 in the World, how can you be the #3 in the World when you're not even in the top 3 in your own country? Hell, we're not even the best team in the City, in that stadium at the moment. League over Champions League for me, always.
Zed.D
QUOTE (kurtsimonw)
I still feel there is way too much emphasis on the Champions League.

Of course. at the start of every season they used to list CL as #1 objective. Serie A always came second. I think winning the double is a real feat, not just Serie A or just CL. I don't even remember the last time Milan won a double...
kurtsimonw
1993/94 apparently. ohmy.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Sep 13 2008, 11:22 AM) *
1993/94 apparently. ohmy.gif

I should've guessed sleep.gif hopefully this season we'll win the double!
dst
Well if we win the Serie A I can't say I would be devastated if we failed in the Coppa Italia...

As for Carletto, I think he should stay until the end of the season. I believe a change of coach now would only make things worse. But our time together should end next summer.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 13 2008, 01:34 PM) *
Well if we win the Serie A I can't say I would be devastated if we failed in the Coppa Italia...

As for Carletto, I think he should stay until the end of the season. I believe a change of coach now would only make things worse. But our time together should end next summer.

I concur cool.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 13 2008, 01:34 PM) *
I believe a change of coach now would only make things worse.

We're playing in the UEFA Cup, we have a great squad in which Carlo had an embarassing start to the season with, losing to a Serie B type team. I'm not entirely sure how much worse things can get. A new manager may not win us the league, but he can't do a worse job than Carlo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.