Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RW] Other Leagues 08/09 and 09/10
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
KillerMax
All talks here...
kurtsimonw
Lillian Thuram was expected to sign with PSG recently, but it's been discovered that he has a cardiac malformation, much like the one hi brother died from, so it is highly unlikely he will play football again from what I've read. A real shame. sad.gif
Jack Sparrow
^^ It only popped up now? Wierd... huh.gif I mean his club doctors should have noticed this much earlier. Cardiac conditions don't just start one morning.

So who is PSG's coach? Still Le Guen? And do they have a hope in hell of finishing in the top 4? I mean is the fault with the players?? Or just lousy management?

I guess Ligue 1 is between OM and Lyon.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jul 8 2008, 11:02 AM)
^^ It only popped up now? Wierd... huh.gif  I mean his club doctors should have noticed this much earlier. Cardiac conditions don't just start one morning.

So who is PSG's coach? Still Le Guen? And do they have a hope in hell of finishing in the top 4? I mean is the fault with the players?? Or just lousy management?

I guess Ligue 1 is between OM and Lyon.

Don't forget Bordeaux. They were very dangerous last year. Now they have to face the pressure of playing CL matches and league matches which is a important factor. But I really hope OM or even Bordeaux can break the Lyon run.

Anyway, doesn't France and the Ligue 1 deserve a own topic? I know, Lyon bore the hell out of that league, but still...
Locke Lamora
As usual, I'll be rooting for Monaco.
As usual, I'll watch one of there matches.
As usual, they'll get trounced by Lille or something...
Portman
http://www.realzaragoza.com/r2z/paginas/noticias.php?id=2804

Pablito Aimar suprisingly signed for Benfica. 6.5M/euros.
Jack Sparrow
Ahh...the Rui Costa effect is working already. biggrin.gif

They've got Flores as coach right? Go eagles!!
Portman
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jul 17 2008, 08:38 AM) *
Ahh...the Rui Costa effect is working already. biggrin.gif

They've got Flores as coach right? Go eagles!!

Yes. But I don't think only Aimar will solve their problems.

Anyway, I think you know these 2:

Jack Sparrow
Yeah...I know them both. Aimar was one of those really talented players who got stuck with the 'next Maradona' albatross.

And Flores was the best thing to happen to Valencia after Rafa.
Portman
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jul 17 2008, 01:21 PM) *
Yeah...I know them both. Aimar was one of those really talented players who got stuck with the 'next Maradona' albatross.

And Flores was the best thing to happen to Valencia after Rafa.

Actually it's Rui and Pablito in the pic. wink.gif
dst
Pablito is a delight on the green... but life's unfair... dry.gif
Habitant
just stumbled on this. apprently Shaktar Donetsk changed their logo unsure.gif

pretty ugly if you ask me, looks like a metropolitan gas company dunnosmiley.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Habitant @ Jul 18 2008, 09:38 PM) *
just stumbled on this. apprently Shaktar Donetsk changed their logo unsure.gif

pretty ugly if you ask me, looks like a metropolitan gas company dunnosmiley.gif

Well, a typicall (post)-communist soviet emblem. Nothing new. Just the usuall frightening hard-labor symbol cool.gif .
Habitant
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 18 2008, 07:50 PM) *
Well, a typicall (post)-communist soviet emblem. Nothing new. Just the usuall frightening hard-labor symbol cool.gif .

thats what i was wondering, theres the "Hammer and sickle" at the bottom of the crest rolleyes.gif
Locke Lamora
Damn, Valerenga lost 5-1 to Molde today...
Tennie
You know it's a slow news day in Italy when they run stories about MLS in their transfer threads. Mediaset is reporting that Abel Xavier is ready to leave the LA Galaxy. He has apaprently said that it's due to differences of opinion with Ruud Gullit, who according to him is not very popular with the players. (of note: the Galaxy have scored something like 34 goals but have also conceded 31. very leaky defense).
Tennie
Benfica have loaned Freddy Adu to OM with an option to buy.

They're also supposedly asking Racing about the services of Ebi Smolarek.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jul 22 2008, 01:59 AM) *
Benfica have loaned Freddy Adu to OM with an option to buy.

They're also supposedly asking Racing about the services of Ebi Smolarek.

Smolarek is quality from what I've seen of him, could be a great buy.
Habitant
so the north america is having a CL league next year.

canada will have 1 team enter and well the impact beat out toronto FC tongue.gif

it's fun cuz i found some highlights of the first league which toronto won (although montreal outplayed them) and they were playing "na na na na goodbye" rolleyes.gif so it feels great now that those Tw@ts have to eat crow.

btw toronto missed a sitter in the 89th, a real patthetic miss.
Tennie
So the MLS All-Star game is on. It's the All Stars vs. West Ham. At the half, it's All Stars 2 - 1 West Ham.

Ashton got the Hammers goal and Blanco and ...I'm not sure who...got the goals for the All Stars. It's been rather entertaining so far.
kurtsimonw
The All-Stars do quite well. I remember they beat Celtic 2-0 last season, quite a comfortable win too.
Tennie
FT MLS 3 - 2 West Ham. Ashton with both Hammers goals and De Rosaria with the third MLS goal. Decent enough game.

(For Kurt: Angel played the second half and had two good shots on goal).
kurtsimonw
Yeah, I was surprised to see him come on. He's not been so prolific this year so I didn't even realise he'd been picked in the squad. Good to see him come on though!

EDIT: Did he have a disallowed goal too? dry.gif
Tennie
He's had all sorts of injuries this year, as I understand it. New York are really struggling. Angel's slowly getting back into form, though. Good couple of goals in the last few games.
Tennie
96.gif 96.gif 96.gif
So, it looks like Rui Costa and new coach Quique Sanchez Flores are really shaking things up with Benfica. A bunch of new players have been brought in, including Javier Balboa, Jose Antonio Reyes, and Pablo Aimar.

Looks like they're really aiming to give Porto a run for their money this year.
Jack Sparrow
Yup...good move...good moves...I hope good times are coming back to football. Oh Rui..Rui! wub.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 8 2008, 09:00 AM) *
Oh Rui..Rui! wub.gif

He kicked ur @ss on ps3 tongue.gif
kurtsimonw
Watching Lyon vs Tolouse. Lyon 3-0 up with 20 minutes to, Benzema has 2, they are so much better than everyone in that league! I just read that they have won the last 7 titles in a row, and these are the only 7 titles they've ever won. I did not know that.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 10 2008, 10:27 PM) *
Watching Lyon vs Tolouse. Lyon 3-0 up with 20 minutes to, Benzema has 2, they are so much better than everyone in that league! I just read that they have won the last 7 titles in a row, and these are the only 7 titles they've ever won. I did not know that.

I'm watching it too. Lloris is having a very good debut too, right?

You didn't know Lyon was a zero till 2001? Hmhm,..Sonny Anderson was their first big star. They were lucky to become the French No.1 team, cause in that time Marseille still had financial issuses and lost of reputation (remember the last big Marseille generation with Ravanelli, Gallas, Dalmat, Bakayoko, etc.), while Bordeaux, Monaco and PSG went through a crisis.

I'm not particulary happy about Lyon. I like all the other big teams more. PSG and Marseille the most...I hope at least one of those teams will have the strenght to stand up against Lyon and break the spell.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 10 2008, 11:44 PM) *
I'm not particulary happy about Lyon. I like all the other big teams more. PSG and Marseille the most...I hope at least one of those teams will have the strenght to stand up against Lyon and break the spell.

As a kid I used to love O Marseille ... The way they say it in slang, it sounded so cool biggrin.gif

Fillipo Simone
I allways liked their players, especially Abedi Pele..

Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 11 2008, 12:13 AM) *
I allways liked their players, especially Abedi Pele..

I never liked that match dry.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 10 2008, 11:14 PM) *
I never liked that match dry.gif

Yep, that's true. We should have won.
Tennie
ohmy.gif Marc Overmars (who retired after Euro 2004 due to knee problems) has returned to football. He's signed a 1-year contract with his first club, Dutch 2nd division side Go Ahead Eagles.
arivanjj
ohmy.gif ... WOW
Rossoneri7
Nice ... He was a good player back in the day
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 11 2008, 03:02 PM) *
Nice ... He was a good player back in the day

Yep, I remember him back from the Barcelona days. He really was a good winger..
Tennie
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Football is no longer sexy in LA.

Gullit and Lalas exit LA Galaxy
Los Angeles Galaxy coach Ruud Gullit has resigned and president and general manager Alexi Lalas has been sacked.

Gullit cited personal reasons for leaving while Lalas has been let go as the club, without a win in seven games, initiates "sweeping changes".

Galaxy bought England midfielder David Beckham to the club with a five-year deal worth £130m in July 2007 and have been under intense scrutiny ever since.

Gullit has been replaced on an interim basis by assistant coach Cobi Jones.

With Beckham now fully fit after a series of injuries hampered the start of his career in the United States, Galaxy were supposed to challenge for the MLS Cup title this season.

But they are struggling to make the play-offs after taking only 23 points from 19 games, with Gullit failing to have any real impact on results after admitting difficulties in settling in California.

"In truth, it has proved a lot more difficult than I anticipated for my family to settle in the area and the club has been very supportive and understanding of my decision," said Gullit.

"I would now like to spend some time with my family before considering any other position in football."

Tim Leiweke, president of the AEG Group that owns the Galaxy, said both parties had agreed on mutually-agreeable terms to part company and paid tribute to the Dutchman's contribution.

"Hopefully, he has laid the foundations for future success for the Los Angeles Galaxy," he said.

In the case of Lalas, however, the club chose to dismiss him rather than wait for his contract to expire at the end of the season.

"With Ruud moving on, we believe that this is the right time to make more sweeping changes throughout the organisation," said Leiweke.

"Our commitment continues to be focused on not only winning the MLS Cup this and every season but to build a club capable of competing at the international level.

"This decision is the right one for the organisation, the right one for the players and the right one for our fans."

Gullit took over as Galaxy coach during the close season in November following the departure of Frank Yallop to the San Jose Earthquakes.

The former Holland international brought star credentials with him as the former Newcastle and Feyenoord coach - and one of the world's greatest players in the late 1980's - but he failed to turn around the fortunes of the commercially-driven Galaxy.

It is also thought to have been left frustrated by the limitations imposed by MLS regulations, most notably the salary cap.

Lalas was a highly influential figure at the club, the man who appointed Gullit and oversaw the club's policy of pursuing high-profile names - most notably that of Beckham, who signed for the club from Spanish giants Real Madrid in a landmark move for football in the US.

link

The AEG people aren't completely stupid after all. Lalas was a disaster as a club president and Gullit...well, I'll always remember with great fondness watching him play for Milan and the Oranje, but, well, he lost his footballing mojo when he cut off the dreads. He's a fair commentator though.
kurtsimonw
They started off so well too. Ah well, he's hurt his reputation as a manager with this one I think.
Tennie
Kurt, you didn't have to listen to the megalomaniacal ravings of Lalas. Be very happy you were spared.

The two of them leaving is the best thing for the Galaxy -- which pleases me because as much as I dislike the Galaxy (they're rivals of a sort to my hometown team, DC United) it gets embarrassing to see the league being made a laughing stock because of Lalas. Gullit--- great player, good pundit, should enjoy time with family instead of coaching.
Giancarlo
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 11 2008, 11:11 PM) *
Kurt, you didn't have to listen to the megalomaniacal ravings of Lalas. Be very happy you were spared.

The two of them leaving is the best thing for the Galaxy -- which pleases me because as much as I dislike the Galaxy (they're rivals of a sort to my hometown team, DC United) it gets embarrassing to see the league being made a laughing stock because of Lalas. Gullit--- great player, good pundit, should enjoy time with family instead of coaching.

Oh god. Don't even bring up Lalas. I live here in Los Angeles (just here to go to university). The guy... he was an embarrassment. Him and Guilit. I mean no disrespect to Gullit, but he's a better player than coach. Some players are like that. They may have been great players, but crappy coaches.

Lalas was the biggest joke though... I can't really stand the Galaxy. And one thing I wanted to say to Lalas is this "If you had such big balls why not fly the Galaxy over to Milan and have a friendly game?"

The fact is the Galaxy is a pub team and always will be one. They can bring in Beckham, but that doesn't help anything... I've seen them defend (or lack of)... the party is over here.
Tennie
Giancarlo, the way I explain the Galaxy to people who haven't been subjected to them is that it's Donovan, Beckham and 9 red-shirts.

I think it's a pretty good explanation and honestly I feel sorry for the guys on the team not named Donovan and Beckham.

That said, as a quasi-fan of DC United, Donovan and Beckham are the sources of some creatively naughty chants from Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles (the two groups in DC most approximating ultras). I'd quote them here but I'd have to bleep out the whole thing. biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
Both Donovan and Becks are very ME, ME, ME! players.. but in my opinion they're probably the best individuals in the MLS, that's my opinion anyways. Of course they're both behind Angel, but that's too obvious to even need be said. biggrin.gif
Jack Sparrow
^^

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Yep..oh yeah...total concurrence. Angel is the shite. Angel- What a cute name for the striker from hell. Pfffft!!

rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif
Tennie
(from uefa.com)

Valenciennes FC defender David Sommeil has been taken to hospital after suffering a heart attack during a training session with the French club.

An official statement from the Ligue 1 side said the 34-year-old centre-back "has been admitted to intensive care at Valenciennes Hospital" with no further details being given of his condition. The SM Caen academy graduate returned to the French top flight two years ago after a spell in England with Manchester City FC and Sheffield United FC. Sommeil, who played 19 league games for Valenciennes last season, also counts FC Girondins de Bordeaux, Stade Rennais FC and Olympique de Marseille among his former teams.
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 21 2008, 03:07 AM) *
Valenciennes FC defender David Sommeil has been taken to hospital after suffering a heart attack during a training session with the French club.

Bad news just keeps flowing in. sad.gif The season hasn't even started in most leagues. Hope he gets well soon.
kurtsimonw
Oh dear. sad.gif
Fillipo Simone
I hope he get's better..
Fillipo Simone
Tuttomercato is linking Veloso with Tottenham. Any better informations on that one Porty?
Portman
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 30 2008, 07:01 PM) *
Tuttomercato is linking Veloso with Tottenham. Any better informations on that one Porty?

I don't think so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.