Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EURO 2008
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
aLbErTo
i think it's time we shut the "road to euro.." topic smile.gif

Croatia team is known, Slaven Bilic made his list:

GK:
Stipe Pletikosa, Vedran Runje, Mario Galinović
DEFENCE:
Robert Kovač, Dario Å imić, Danijel Pranjić, Dario Knežević, Josip Å imunić, Hrvoje Vejić, Vedran Ćorluka, Nikola Pokrivač
MIDFIELD:
Niko Kranjčar, Luka Modrić, Ivan Rakitić, Niko Kovač, Jerko Leko, Darijo Srna, Ognjen Vukojević (Dinamo Z.)
ATTACK:
Ivan Klasnić, Igor Budan, Mladen Petrić, Ivica Olić, Nikola Kalinić (Hajduk S.)

BACKUP:
Anas Sharbini(Attacking midfielder-Rijeka), Manuel Pamić (Left back - Red Bull Salzburg)

devil.gif king.gif
dst
Damn... I just realized Greece are the defending champions! This is so weird!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

(We're going to get hammered! sleep.gif)
Tennie
Donadoni won't be naming his team for another couple of weeks. The selection is mostly known, but the identity of the last striker (possibly the last two) is still up for grabs and there's endless speculation in the Italian media.

I shall be supporting the Azzurri in the tournament. 96.gif

That said, Croatia are also a team I like. A friend is sending me a Croatia scarf that I will quite proudly wear when going to the pub to watch games. smile.gif
kurtsimonw
If Croatia crash out in the group stage, I'll throw a party!
aLbErTo
QUOTE (dst @ May 6 2008, 01:03 AM)
Damn... I just realized Greece are the defending champions! This is so weird!! laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

(We're going to get hammered! sleep.gif)

lol biggrin.gif yeah, probably, but you never know biggrin.gif like 4yrs ago

QUOTE (Tennie @ May 6 2008, 01:05 AM)
That said, Croatia are also a team I like. A friend is sending me a Croatia scarf that I will quite proudly wear when going to the pub to watch games.  smile.gif

you have a good friend, haha tongue.gif yeah it's pretty obvious i'll be chearing for Croatia, but 2nd team is Italy of course biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 6 2008, 01:08 AM)

lol, we shall beat you this year again tongue.gif hehehe
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 6 2008, 02:08 AM)

laugh.gif It's not their fault though...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ May 5 2008, 11:19 PM)
laugh.gif It's not their fault though...

It's not their fault, no, it's ours. But they're the ones that put us out. dry.gif

I'll be cheering for Sweden!
aLbErTo
i think you should throw a party after every match when carson and robinson are not playing biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (aLbErTo @ May 5 2008, 11:39 PM)
i think you should throw a party after every match when carson and robinson are not playing biggrin.gif

Bah! They're both decent keepers, some are just not made for international games!

Anybody know anything about any other nations that may have announced their squads?
Tennie
According to the official website, nobody else has named a roster yet.
morgoth
The french creep is waiting till the last possible day to name his payers! What a creep dry.gif
morgoth
DP. Damn it!
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 6 2008, 12:08 AM)

You do realize that it means to cheer for Germany? innocent.gif

Bundestrainer Jogi Löw is going to name his squad in a few weeks. Bernd Schneiders injury is certainly a huge loss for our team...there's simply no one with his qualities....
Here's what I think our formation will (most likely)be without Schnixx.

------------------------Klose-------------------Gomez--------------------------------

----Schweinsteiger---------------------------------------------Hilbert/Fritz-----------

----------------------------Ballack-----------------Frings------------------------------

----Jansen-------------Mertesacker----------Westermann/Metzelder-----Lahm----

--------------------------------------Lehmann------------------------------------------

If Metzelder will be fit soon there's no doubt he'll be our second CB although I'd prefer Heiko Westermann. Hilbert and Fritz might take Schneiders spot as well as Bremens TIm Borowski who has been fine recently.
I'm pretty sure though Jogi will present one or two little surprises when he names his squad. My guess: Bremens youngster Mesut Özil (19) will make it to the team.
Besides that I'll have my fingers crossed for the next weeks that nothing happens to Ballack or Frings. They're by far the best German midfielders. Without them we won't have a chance to win the Euro.
Tennie
^^ Ballack has been in very good form (for the first time in a while) recently, La Palma. That can only be good for the German NT. And it's nice to see Frings back too, even if he DOES play for Bremen.
kurtsimonw
I haven't seen much of Frings really, but I was really impressed with what little chance Borowski had at the last World Cup. He started the first game because of an injury/suspension didn't he? And I thought he looked great, then he was dopped..

Who else is in Germany & Croatia's group? It's obviously going to be a long shot to see either of them go through whoever they are. dry.gif
Tennie
Austria & Poland are the other two teams in that group, Kurt. Austria doesn't have a strong team, but the Poles can be pretty good.
kurtsimonw
Yeah, I remember Poland being very unlucy at the World Cup, with the last goal they conceeded against the Germans. Let's hope Boruc, Rasiak and co. can do the job this time!
Tennie
Marco Van Basten has named a provisional squad for the Euros (some players will be cut):

Goalkeepers: Sander Boschker (FC Twente), Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United FC), Maarten Stekelenburg (AFC Ajax), Henk Timmer (Feyenoord).

Defenders: Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa FC), Tim de Cler (Feyenoord), Urby Emanuelson (AFC Ajax), John Heitinga (AFC Ajax), Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburger SV), Mario Melchiot (Wigan Athletic FC), André Ooijer (Blackburn Rovers FC).

Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Orlando Engelaar (FC Twente), Nigel de Jong (Hamburger SV), Denny Landzaat (Feyenoord), Hedwiges Maduro (Valencia CF), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan) , Wesley Sneijder (Real Madrid CF), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV), Demy de Zeeuw (AZ Alkmaar).

Forwards: Ryan Babel (Liverpool FC), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (AFC Ajax), Danny Koevermans (PSV Eindhoven), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool FC), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid CF), Robin van Persie (Arsenal FC), Arjen Robben (Real Madrid CF), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Celtic FC).

TURTLE POWER! 96.gif
kurtsimonw
BOUMA!

Congrats to Freddie! Been ever-present for us this season, isn't the greatest, but a very consistant 7/10 player ever week! And I think we all knew Seedorf would make it. cool.gif

As for De Ridder.. going to Birmingham certainly helped his chances! laugh.gif
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 6 2008, 03:50 PM)
Yeah, I remember Poland being very unlucy at the World Cup, with the last goal they conceeded against the Germans. Let's hope Boruc, Rasiak and co. can do the job this time!

I think they deserved it, they played real bad.
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 6 2008, 01:50 PM)

That was f@cking great. David Odonkor provided the cross for Oliver Neuville. I'll never forget that goal...it was the very reason we made it to the semis....simply amazing.
Besides that I agree with dst...Poland played very very bad.
Tennie
One person who almost certainly will NOT be in the Azzurri squad is Zebra striker Vicento Iaquinta. He's got an injury and will be out of action until mid-July.
kurtsimonw
That's a shame. sad.gif
morgoth
I'll add to that list Gilardino, I think Pippo should and will take his place.
LaPalma
I'm feeling sorry for Iaquinta....although he wouldn't have made it to the first 11 he's an important player fot Italy. Besides that I'm still sad about Bernds injury which worries me a lot more as he might never play again...
kurtsimonw
Luiz Felipe Scolari will step down as Portugal coach at the end of their Euro 2008 campaign.

'Big Phil', 58, won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 and rejected the chance to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson as England boss earlier this year.

He also led Portugal to the Euro 2004 final, where they lost to Greece, and the 2006 World Cup semi-final.

"It is logical that at the end of Euro 2008 I leave when my contract ends," he told Portuguese newspaper Record.

"The work of a coach is limited to five or six years.

"We are already in this time frame but after that, things become more difficult because they create habits and links with the players, which can result in things deteriorating."

He also confirmed that he had been approached both by Portuguese giants Benfica in 2004 and England prior to the last World Cup finals to replace Eriksson when the Swede left after the tournament.

Scolari said: "The English wanted me to sign the contract during the finals but that I start the job after the finals were over. However, that would have a betrayal of the Portuguese.

"It simply wasn't possible. Nobody can sign for one national side and continue to run another.

"It was a difficult choice but I understood that I could not accept it," stated Scolari, who guided Portugal to victory over England on penalties in the World Cup quarter-finals - having knocked them out at the same stage of Euro 2004.

Scolari said he was undecided about his next move and said: "I could stay here, go to another European country or return to Brazil. I just don't know."

BBC
LaPalma
Can't wait for the Euro! It's going to be so great king.gif
Jack Sparrow
I want to see the following matches, the more crucial the better:

France v Italy
Netherlands v Germany
Netherlands v Portugal
France v Portugal

Italy v Germany would be nice.
aLbErTo
germany won't even make it out of the group tongue.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (aLbErTo @ May 9 2008, 07:44 AM)
germany won't even make it out of the group tongue.gif

Pfff.....you wish. We'll make it to the semis at least....everything else would be a big dissapointment.
aLbErTo
well, we'll see about that smile.gif no german player was really in top for for whole season, except for gomez...
LaPalma
They only have to be on top for the Euro tongue.gif And then Ballack has been in terrific form recently and he's our MVP without a doubt.
aLbErTo
that's true...well, it's an interesting group, maybe austria and poland make trough smile.gif
kurtsimonw
Germany to win the group, comfortably, with 9 points. Austria to finish bottom with 0 and it will be close between Poland and Croatia. Hopefully Poland!
Tennie
Interesting rumor floating around the peninsula today. Apparently, players who might/will get call ups for Euro 2008 are having measles (I think that's what it is) inoculations this week. According to (what looks to be the print version of) Corriere dello Sport, Alessandro Nesta was among those who got the shot. Probably BS, but an intriguing thought.
dst
NESTA!?? Nah... I'd love to see him in the Euro but has retired and I don't believe he would rethink... unsure.gif
Tennie
Tomas Rosicky is definitely OUT of the Czech Republic squad for the Euros. That's a big loss for them. However, Janku - unless he does something in the next two games - is back.
aLbErTo
yap it's bad for czech's, but rosicky hasn't been playing for a long long time now, so i don't think he would be any use anyway...
amancik
I'll be rooting for Italy on this one, when & what is the opening game?
kurtsimonw
Saturday 7 June 2008

open with..Switzerland vs Czech Republic
followed by.. Portugal vs Turkey
Tennie
Here are Portugal's call ups:

Keepers: Ricardo (Betis), Quim (Benfica), Rui Patrício (Sporting)

Defenders: Bosingwa (FC Porto), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Miguel (Valência), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea), Pepe (Real Madrid), Bruno Alves (FC Porto), Fernando Meira (Stuttgart), Jorge Ribeiro (Boavista)

Midfielders: Miguel Veloso (Sporting), Petit (Benfica), Raul Meireles (FC Porto), Deco (Barcelona), João Moutinho (Sporting), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Nani (Manchester United), Quaresma (FC Porto), Simão (Atlético Madrid)

Strikers
Nuno Gomes (Benfica), Hélder Postiga (Panathinaikos), Hugo Almeida (Werder Bremen)

IMO Portugal has a frighteningly strong midfield and a solid enough defense. Ricardo is VERY good at stopping (English) penalties but has...kaladzity moments now and then. The real weakness I see in the Portuguese NT is in the striker department. Makukula could've added something, but he got hurt a couple of weeks ago and is out.
kurtsimonw
Who're the LBs in that squad? unsure.gif

Portugal need to get a new GK and some strikers soon, that's why they'll struggle to win things!
Tennie
note re Portugal's squad: No Maniche (who was so good for them in the WC) but his kid brother Jorge Ribeiro did make the team.

Turkey has named its squad:

Goalkeepers: Volkan Demirel (Fenerbahçe SK), Rüştü Reçber (Beşiktaş JK), Tolga Zengin (Trabzonspor).

Defenders: Gökhan Gönül (Fenerbahçe SK), Sabri Sarıoğlu (Galatasaray AŞ), Gökhan Zan (Beşiktaş JK), İbrahim Kaş (Beşiktaş JK), Emre Aşık (Galatasaray AŞ), Servet Çetin (Galatasaray AŞ), Hakan Balta (Galatasaray AŞ), Uğur Boral (Fenerbahçe SK).

Midfielders: Mehmet Aurélio (Fenerbahçe SK), Mehmet Topal (Galatasaray AŞ), Emre Belözoğlu (Newcastle United FC), Tümer Metin (Larissa FC), Yıldıray Baştürk (VfB Stuttgart), Hamit Altıntop (FC Bayern München), Ayhan Akman (Galatasaray AŞ), Arda Turan (Galatasaray AŞ), Tuncay Şanlı (Middlesbrough FC), Kazım Kazım (Fenerbahçe SK), Gökdeniz Karadeniz (FC Rubin Kazan).

Forwards: Nihat Kahveci (Villarreal CF), Halil Altıntop (FC Schalke 04), Semih Şentürk (Fenerbahçe SK), Mevlüt Erding (FC Sochaux-Montbéliard).

No room in the squad for Hakan Sukur, which is a bit of a surprise.
dst
CR was called!?? This is ridiculous, he has only scored 41 goals! biggrin.gif

In my view, Portugal only have a chance if they let CR play as he's been playing for United all season. As a forward, not as a winger. He's much better in this free role that SAF allowed him to play in... you can say he did rather well... but whenever I've seen him play for Portugal, he seems stuck on the flank... he's not a winger, not anymore!
kurtsimonw
There's too many teams I dislike/hate in this competition. sad.gif
Tennie
Programming note for those who get ESPN -- ESPN has started showing 1 hour recaps of previous European finals. They seem to be going in order until the championships start. Tonight (right now) I'm watching the 1976 final between West Germany and Czechoslovakia on ESPN Deportes (the spanish language station).

It's my understanding that ESPN in places other than North America is also broadcasting the old games.
aLbErTo
that's also broadcasting on EUROSPORT, for like two month now already...
Il Capitano
Seedorf turned down a place in the holland squad.

I am really disappointed with his decision.
Tennie
^^ +1.
amancik
QUOTE (Il Capitano @ May 13 2008, 12:43 PM)
Seedorf turned down a place in the holland squad.

I am really disappointed with his decision.

I think he wants to rest, watch the Championship on a couch
He needs it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.