Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calcio Italia Icons
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
KillerMax
No 15: Paul Gascoigne
It is unlikely that Football Italia would have made such an impression on British football fans without Paul Gascoigne.

No 14: Gianfranco Zola
It says a lot about Gianfranco Zola that he is one of the icons of the Calcio Italia era despite spending much of that time outside of Italy.

No 13: Giuseppe Signori
Not even Giuseppe Signori himself knew what magic he possessed in that unforgettable left-foot of his.

No 12: Franco Baresi
When Milan retired Franco Baresi's No 6 shirt it underlined just what sort of a contribution the stopper made to his beloved club.

No 11: Christian Vieri
Christian Vieri was never going to be your typical Italian footballer, but that hasn't stopped him becoming a symbol of the modern calcio star.

No 10: Zinedine Zidane

It takes a special kind of player to commit a heinous physical assault in the biggest football match in the world, yet still be seen as the hero.

No 9: Roberto Mancini

It's no wonder Roberto Mancini is so fond of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, for he was the original dribble addict and purveyor of fantastical flicks.

No 8: Kaka
In just four years in Italy, the pride of the Selecao has made an astonishing transition from promising starlet to an idol for a generation.

No 7: Gianluigi Buffon
When you talk about the best goalkeeper in the world, you are obviously talking about Gigi Buffon.

No 6: Fabio Cannavaro

The skipper of the first Italian team that we saw lift the World Cup, Fabio Cannavaro has been a true giant over the last 16 years.

No 5: Alessandro Del Piero
Think back and you'll remember a 20-year-old Alessandro Del Piero who was so talented he was able to push Roberto Baggio out of the Juventus side.

No 4: Francesco Totti
Roma skipper Francesco Totti has become a symbol of both the club and the city during his 15-year spell at the Stadio Olimpico.

No 3: Gabriel Batistuta
Who can put a figure on how many trophies Gabriel Batistuta missed out on due to his loyalty to Fiorentina?

No 2: Roberto Baggio
For an entire decade and beyond, Roberto Baggio was at the centre of most football discussions the length and breadth of Italy.

No 1: Paolo Maldini
A legend for Milan and Italy, Paolo Maldini is possibly the only active player who can claim to be the best the world has ever seen in his position.

You can find the whole thing here with all the articles for every single player.

Football Italia
KillerMax
No Nesta... But who's number 1? Above all those legends? 'Nuff Said.
whoarethepatriots
It seems pretty good... with the exception of Mancini. I never saw him play as a player, but surely he isnt an all time calcio great is he?

Dino Zoff is more worthy than Mancini
acid911
No 1: Paolo Maldini
A legend for Milan and Italy, Paolo Maldini is possibly the only active player who can claim to be the best the world has ever seen in his position.

wub.gif
acid911
No place for Nesta, Maradona, Cafu, Ronaldo, Shevchenko, and Van Basten? unsure.gif
KillerMax
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Apr 2 2008, 08:02 AM)
It seems pretty good... with the exception of Mancini. I never saw him play as a player, but surely he isnt an all time calcio great is he?

Dino Zoff is more worthy than Mancini

All the players listed are pretty recent, even Mancini... So that's probably why.
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Apr 2 2008, 02:15 PM)
All the players listed are pretty recent, even Mancini... So that's probably why.

Yeah, No Rivera, Altfani etc

Bebe Bergomi was and is a better legend/player than Mancini, and is fairly recent. He should be there instead (he retired in 1999)
acid911
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Apr 2 2008, 07:24 PM)
Yeah, No Rivera, Altfani etc

That's what I originally planned to put in my earlier post, but I reckon they've only listed recent legends. Both Rivera and Altfani were bigger icons in their time than Vieri + Manchini combined. At least, that's what I've be led to believe. smile.gif
dst
From the link on Max's post:
To celebrate 150 editions of Calcio Italia magazine we profile the 15 star players of our liftetime, look back at the historic Coaches, marvel at the stunning goals and much more!
kurtsimonw
It seems pretty decent to me, can't argue with many of them. Though I'd have probably had Nesta in the list, and most certainly have Del Piero in front of Totti!
KillerMax
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 2 2008, 10:15 AM)
It seems pretty decent to me, can't argue with many of them. Though I'd have probably had Nesta in the list, and most certainly have Del Piero in front of Totti!

I think Totti is above Del Piero because he has played in a much weaker team than Juventus. But still, for some reason people don't appreciate Del Piero as much. He was wrongfully benched by Trapatoni in the 2002 World Cup in favor of Totti and that proved a costly mistake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.