Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cafu Set To Renew Milan Contract
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
Zed.D
Cafu Set To Renew Milan Contract

Milan veteran Cafu is set to be offered a new one-year contract at the club, with Dario Simic sacrificed in order to make this happen.

Brazilian legend Cafu has been at Milan since signing from Roma in 2003, however this was widely expected to be his final season at the club.

Despite the fact that the wing-back is set to turn 38 in June, reports in Italy suggest that Milan are set to offer him a one-year extension to his expiring contract.

The sacrificial lamb in order to keep Cafu will be Croatian defender Dario Simic. The 33-year-old has featured sparingly this season, and is eager to leave the club anyway in order to obtain first-team football.

Milan’s hugely disappointing season had led many to believe that they would revolutionise their ageing squad in the summer.

With Cafu set to stay on, and Andriy Shevchenko looking likely to re-join the club, it appears as though this may not happen.

Cafu is the most capped Brazilian of all time, having appeared 156 times in the Selecao shirt.

Roberto Rossi - goal.com
Zed.D
I don't know what to say mainly because I don't really understand what's going on behind the curtains... what has Simic done to be treated like this... and what's exactly the use of Cafu in Milan beside being a mentor for our kids...
Tennie
I don't see why they're linking Cafu being offered a renewal with Simic leaving. That one makes no sense.

Cafu being the mentor for the young Brazilians is worth the cost of a contract for him, IMO. I have no problem with him staying another year.
redbabies
"Great NEWS!!!!! I'm really happy about him and Milan"

If we continue like this we'll certainly survive relegation next season. cool.gif
dst
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 19 2008, 01:16 PM)
I don't see why they're linking Cafu being offered a renewal with Simic leaving. That one makes no sense.

Cafu being the mentor for the young Brazilians is worth the cost of a contract for him, IMO. I have no problem with him staying another year.

Exactly...
misha
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 19 2008, 01:16 PM)

So let's offer him some position in the coaching staff. The problem with Cafu, Serginho and all this guys staying, is this giving the management an excuse not to reinforce.
dst
QUOTE (mishale @ Mar 19 2008, 01:46 PM)
So let's offer him some position in the coaching staff. The problem with Cafu, Serginho and all this guys staying, is this giving the management an excuse not to reinforce.

It's not Cafu's fault... they want to have an excuse...
redbabies
^^^
nobody is blaming Cafu, after all why would he reject a contract like that?

the problem is the managment.
misha
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 19 2008, 02:11 PM)
It's not Cafu's fault... they want to have an excuse...

Of course it's not... We all know what's the problem...
armiss
Goal.com
whoarethepatriots
FFS, this is exactly the kind of policy which has cost us dear over the last few years

We are a club based primarily on sentimentality it seems
dst
I mean that it's not a problem keeping Cafu as a player. So what? In my opinion it's good to have him. The problem is that the management still consider him a vital player... if they were not trying to look away from the problems they would keep Cafu (with a contract based on logic) AND buy his replacement... no policy affected and the team would be on it's way too...
Il Capitano
I hope this is BS.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (redbabies @ Mar 19 2008, 11:28 AM)
"Great NEWS!!!!! I'm really happy about him and Milan"

If we continue like this we'll certainly survive relegation next season. cool.gif

What with the spritely cafu at RB and the sharp shooting Sheva upfront nothing can go wrong smile.gif ...And wait til Ronaldo recovers, it wil be like a new signing cool.gif

Expect contract renewals for Serghino, Pippo et al in the near future.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 19 2008, 05:16 AM)

because with simic gone we'll room to use some of our younger cb such as darmian or albertazzi.
Fillipo Simone
That's good. Milan should keep everyone who want's to stay. And Cafu, well he's like the ambassador of Brazil in Milan. With him in our squad, nothing can go wrong with the other brazilians.

This is more of a political move then a reinforcement or support to our squad for next season.
whoarethepatriots
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 19 2008, 10:58 PM)
because with simic gone we'll room to use some of our younger cb such as darmian or albertazzi.

Albertazzi is too young and inexperienced at the moment. A better solution would be to bring back Marzoratti
Bluesummers
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Mar 19 2008, 04:59 PM)
Albertazzi is too young and inexperienced at the moment. A better solution would be to bring back Marzoratti

no thanks, i would keep simic than marzoratti.
bigmacmtl
well this means no signing at right back, because cafu isnt here to joke around and keep the Brazilians happy. expect him to play.

and they continue to dig their grave....
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Mar 19 2008, 09:44 AM)
FFS, this is exactly the kind of policy which has cost us dear over the last few years

We are a club based primarily on sentimentality it seems

it's not even like he's hugely connected with the club dry.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Mar 19 2008, 06:50 PM)
it's not even like he's hugely connected with the club dry.gif

yup summarizes the whole thing. Cafu stays with us and helps keep the brazillian mood good in the club and maybe plays a match or two. He gets paid and its a win win situation.
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 19 2008, 08:19 PM)
yup summarizes the whole thing.  Cafu stays with us and helps keep the brazillian mood good in the club and maybe plays a match or two.  He gets paid and its a win win situation.

except for us
Bluesummers
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Mar 19 2008, 07:42 PM)
except for us

how is it a loss for us?
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 19 2008, 08:52 PM)
how is it a loss for us?

would rather sign a young talented Rb for the future or an established one or keep cafu another season? take ur pick
Bluesummers
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Mar 19 2008, 09:00 PM)
would rather sign a young talented Rb for the future or an established one or keep cafu another season? take ur pick

Lol you gotta lose this attitude that our board is like a program. Insert A and you get B. Its not like that. Cafu hasn't played a game in 5 months and he is just here to pass on experience like sergio etc.. Were signing zambrotta in the summer and we have grimi on loan who is improving everyday. We can't just sign someone for our Rb and say grow and become good. Our tactical system depends on the RB and LB attacking and delivering crosses. So 95% they'll play every game and rarely get subbed. Oddo is an example wink.gif

so there is no point to really signing someone who is young, if there not gonna play. They'll turn out like gourcuff blink.gif
Jack Sparrow
^^^

That is true. The RB and LB positions are very vital for our team. It's not like you can have the next big thing, and have him play to improve.

As for Cafu, he's an excellent third choice. If he has only one match a month, he really plays well.

So next season, our fullbacks would be: Zambrotta, Cafu, Oddo, Janku. 2 players for every position. Janku scares me a bit with his injury woes. It's been one of the nails in our coffin this season. So I won't say no if we brought back Grimi or got in Vargas.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 19 2008, 10:04 PM)
^^^

That is true. The RB and LB positions are very vital for our team. It's not like you can have the next big thing, and have him play to improve.

As for Cafu, he's an excellent third choice. If he has only one match a month, he really plays well.

So next season, our fullbacks would be: Zambrotta, Cafu, Oddo, Janku. 2 players for every position. Janku scares me a bit with his injury woes. It's been one of the nails in our coffin this season. So I won't say no if we brought back Grimi or got in Vargas.

For once i agree with you 96.gif
Jack Sparrow
^^^
biggrin.gif Should I break out the champagne??
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 19 2008, 10:26 PM)
^^^
biggrin.gif Should I break out the champagne??

yes sir!
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 19 2008, 10:31 PM)
Lol you gotta lose this attitude that our board is like a program.  Insert A and you get B.  Its not like that.  Cafu hasn't played a game in 5 months and he is just here to pass on experience like sergio etc..  Were signing zambrotta in the summer and we have grimi on loan who is improving everyday.  We can't just sign someone for our Rb and say grow and become good.  Our tactical system depends on the RB and LB attacking and delivering crosses.  So 95% they'll play every game and rarely get subbed.  Oddo is an example wink.gif
so there is no point to really signing someone who is young, if there not gonna play.  They'll turn out like gourcuff  blink.gif

what you just said there doesnt make sense but i know what ur trying to say. i find it funny that you think i see this as fifa 08 or something when in one of ur last posts ur making mention of ur signings in the game, and i've seen plenty of posts listing all the players we need and who needs to go out so i dont see how you can accuse me of this.

btw ur statement that he hasnt played in 5 months is completly false.

95% of the players for most teams are not produced by the club but our signings, so yess you do sign players and let them become "good".

the tactical system of team has little or no bearing on how much everyone plays, the fact that oddo plays so much is cuz we dont have anyone decent to come in for him.

if you dont understand by now that for the past 3 years we've been holding on o the same guys to avoid going out and getting others then just give up. if cafu is here to be a mentor for the brazilians it would have to be for a young ones and pato is the only young brazlian we have, kaka isnt young anymore and cafu is not a striker coach nor is he an expert in the field. to let his contract run out and not renew would be forcing him out of the club.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Mar 19 2008, 10:59 PM)
what you just said there doesnt make sense but i know what ur trying to say. i find it funny that you think i see this as fifa 08  or something when in one of ur last posts ur making mention of ur signings in the game, and i've seen plenty of posts listing all the players we need and who needs to go out so i dont see how you can accuse me of this.

btw ur statement that he hasnt played in 5 months is completly false.

95% of the players for most teams are not produced by the club but our signings, so yess you do sign players and let them become "good".

the tactical system of team has little or no bearing on how much everyone plays, the fact that oddo plays so much is cuz we dont have anyone decent to come in for him.

if you dont understand by now that for the past 3 years we've been holding on o the same guys to avoid going out and getting others then just give up. if cafu is here to be a mentor for the brazilians it would have to be for a young ones  and pato is the only young brazlian we have, kaka isnt young anymore and cafu is not a striker coach nor is he an expert in the field. to let his contract run out and not renew would be forcing him out of the club.

I think your completely mistaken on what i'm trying to say. So i'll take some time an explain to you what i'm trying to say exactly.

Cafu for us is like ronaldo, sergio, dida, kaka, emerson. Just another brazillian right? It is true he may be 38 and is no way a suitable back up for oddo, a child knows that.
But the reason we are gonna sign a contract extension with him is not necessarily his skills on the field; it's what he does off the field that counts. In brazil many consider him a legend. Its like de rasario for us or razidsinki(sorry for spelling). People look up to him for what he has achieved. He is an icon in brazil and an icon for milan, which is why so many brazillians come to milan in the first place. Do you know why pato chose milan, when chelsea and madrid were going to offer him more money? The atmosphere. His favorite players, ronaldo cafu and co are here. He can easily adapt.

Cafu like many of our other brazilllians, is a freindly guy and is the kind of guy who can persuade someone easily. Its the reason why neves will choose us instead of another club and other brazillians we get in the future. For that sole reason we sign an extension with him.

Now going back to what you said earlier, 95% are signed by club statement. Yes, that is true, however there is some exceptions to this. Our current coach will not put in a 22 year old in the place of oddo simply because of the amount of responsibility oddo has. He has to run up and contribute to the attack with amazing crosses and be fast enough to defend. Thats why cafu was so effective for us is because he could do both perfectly. Now your saying we should sign some young player to take oddo's role? Not gonna happen. It would be a waste of a transfer because at max carlo would give him 20 minutes a game. Thats not enough for someone to grow as you can see in gourcuff for an example. So signing zambrotta, someone who is already adapted to such responsibilites is the better choice than signing lets say some young 22 year old. There are some exceptions like lahm and alves but lets be realistic, were not gonna spend 30+ million euros to sign them. Were not madrid.

The reason we have been using cafu for 3 years is because he was still good. You can't say oh he is over 30 so now he is automatically trash and lets dump him. We aren't madrid (yes i dislike madrid). They have been holding off his replacement because he was still able to keep up with the world's best. hence why we were doing so good in the past.

I was guessing when i said he hasn't played for 5 months because he really doesnt play.

Now lets be realistic here. Galliani will not say oh we have cafu so we don't need another rb/lb. That won't happen. Its not fifa 08.

So if you get my point- cafu here as a player is horrible, as a brazillian icon=win/win.

SO I'LL SUMMERIZE IT FOR YA:

as a player i don't want cafu one bit. If he gets one or two games a season fine, but he should not be oddo's backup. Zambrotta will do that.

As someone who is a part of the club, i have no problem with him. He isn't the kind to complain because he isn't getting playing time. So let him stay, as long as he doesnt affect our transfers, which i doubt he will.
bigmacmtl
I think your completely mistaken on what i'm trying to say.  So i'll take some time an explain to you what i'm trying to say exactly.

Cafu for us is like ronaldo, sergio, dida, kaka, emerson.  Just another brazillian right?  It is true he may be 38 and is no way a suitable back up for oddo, a child knows that.
But the reason we signed a contract extension with him is not necessarily his skills on the field; it's what he does off the field that counts.  In brazil many consider him a legend.  Its like de rasario for us or razidsinki(sorry for spelling).  People look up to him for what he has achieved.  He is an icon in brazil and an icon for milan, which is why so many brazillians come to milan in the first place.  Do you know why pato chose milan, when chelsea and madrid were going to offer him more money?  The atmosphere.  His favorite players, ronaldo cafu and co are here.  He can easily adapt.

dont worry i know the importance of cafu

that said...

cafu isnt an icon of milan, he came at a kater stage of his career and gave his best for roma.

Cafu is also a very friendly guy and is the kind of guy who can persuade someone easily.  Its the reason why neves will choose us instead of another club and other brazillians we get in the future.  For that sole reason we sign an extension with him.

it's not like cafu is going to go to fellow brazilians and convince them all. besides having kaka and pato the future of brazils attack is enough to entice them to come.

Now going back to what you said earlier, 95% are signed by club statement.  Yes, that is true, however there is some exceptions to this.  Our current coach will not put in a 22 year old in the place of oddo simply because of the amount of responsibility oddo has.  He has to run up and contribute to the attack with amazing crosses and be fast enough to defend.  Thats why cafu was so effective for us is because he could do both perfectly.  Now your saying we should sign some young player to take oddo's role?  Not gonna happen.  It would be a waste of a transfer because at max carlo would give him 20 minutes a game.  Thats not enough for someone to grow as you can see in gourcuff for an example.  So signing zambrotta, someone who is already adapted to such responsibilites is the better choice than signing lets say some young 22 year old.  There are some exceptions like lahm and alves but lets be realistic, were not gonna spend 30+ million euros to sign them.  Were not madrid.
The reason we have been using cafu for 3 years is because he was still good.  You can't say oh he is over 30 so now he is automatically trash and lets dump him.  We aren't madrid (yes i dislike madrid).  They have been holding off his replacement because he was still able to keep up with the world's best.  hence why we were doing so good in the past. 

i never said he would have th be young, i said he could be established and if he was young i wouldnt expect him to start. the point is cafu is taking up a valuable spot for a prospect.

I was guessing when i said he hasn't played for 5 months because he really doesnt play.

Now lets be realistic here.  Galliani will not say oh we have cafu so we don't need another rb/lb.  That won't happen.  Its not fifa 08. 
So if you get my point- cafu here as a player is horrible, as a brazillian icon=win/win.

of course he plays, hes oddo's sub. now it's true he does get much play but it's not oddo plays every minute of every game. and we can all see the arvse effects of always playing the same players as our team is burnt.

and yes i can easily say galliani saying that and then following thru, because thats been the trend recently.
Portman
I'd love if we offer another 5-year contract to Cafu, Maldini, Serginho, Ba and Favalli.

Exactly what he need. That'd exclude Milan from top-spots.
kurtsimonw
This is a bit silly really. And I don't believe much of the off-field stuff Cafu brings.

People are going to join Milan to play for Milan, they are not going to join Milan jsut because Cafu is there.
Bluesummers
Indeed, it wasn't the first time that massive things had been expected of him after a culture change.

"I left home when I was eleven to play for Internacional, which was quite young," he said with more than a hint of understatement.

"Then, when I was 17, I left Brazil to come to Italy. I was really happy to join a great club like Milan who have welcomed me with open arms. My heart told me: 'Do your best because they are your friends and want to help you.'

"There are eight Brazilian players including me and they have supported me from the start. They still do."

The 18-year-old insists that he's settled in with no problems thanks largely to his compatriots and former idols.

"These are the players I played with on Playstation and watched on television," he admitted.

"They all surprised me when I arrived as they were all humble and friendly, giving me the support I needed. Now I want to do my best and help the team more and more."

One of these players, Kaka, offered nothing but praise for his young countryman.

"Pato is doing brilliantly for a young man of 18 who is just beginning his career at a big European club," he said.

"He has a massive future. I haven't given him any particular advice, I have just said he should follow what he has in his own mind. So many people tell you so many things, but you've got to follow your instincts, do things your way.

"I think you can learn a lot from what people tell you, but you learn even more from your own experience."

right so cafu does nothing as an icon for milan rolleyes.gif
Jack Sparrow
laugh.gif

I really don't think Cafu's contribution off the pitch is at any doubt. FFS he was the Captain of the Brazillian team. One of the best players of his generation, yeesh... I mean when he talks I'm sure any Brazillian player listens.

Maybe Cafu doesn't want to put his boots up, maybe he just has fun training with the rest of the gang. F@ck...I don't care what his reasons are.

And since we're most certainly going to have Zambrotta, Cafu isn't being used as an excuse to not buy players either. If you ask me, he's the best 3rd choice RB in the world. biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 21 2008, 04:06 AM)
If you ask me, he's the best 3rd choice RB in the world. biggrin.gif

I agree with you there.

I believe the likes of Cafu help once a player from Brazil has joined our club, but does he have any effect in actually attracting players to the club? Not at all, in my opinion.

If Beckham, Lineaker, Shearer, etc. were at a club, would it make me want to go there more than any other club? No. So if guys like these don't influence me, do you think Cafu really influences somebody who is already a professional? Nah.
I_Rossoneri
I can understand the point of keeping Cafu to help with the Brazilian contingent and I am totally fine with that, as long as Galliani doesn't start with the usual "we have a winner at RB with Cafu and we don't need anyone else".

Edit: And for the record I don't even think Cafu is capable of playing 90 mins now, so IMO he can't be relied upon to play anyway.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 21 2008, 05:06 AM)
laugh.gif

I really don't think Cafu's contribution off the pitch is at any doubt. FFS he was the Captain of the Brazillian team. One of the best players of his generation, yeesh... I mean when he talks I'm sure any Brazillian player listens.

Maybe Cafu doesn't want to put his boots up, maybe he just has fun training with the rest of the gang. F@ck...I don't care what his reasons are.

And since we're most certainly going to have Zambrotta, Cafu isn't being used as an excuse to not buy players either. If you ask me, he's the best 3rd choice RB in the world. biggrin.gif

Right 96.gif!!
milanisti
pffffffff cafu this year turns 38 , i dont like this
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.