Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Galliani: We chose World Cup
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
dst
Galliani: We chose World Cup
Tuesday 4 March, 2008

Milan general manager Adriano Galliani insists this is not the end of an era and it was “a choice” to focus on the Club World Cup.

“This is not the end of an era. We put the priority on Japan and winning the Club World Cup. It was our choice.

“We knew it would cost a great deal in terms of physical and psychological energy, but it remains an historic season and there is no need to change.”

The Rossoneri were the reigning Champions League winners and also took the Club World Cup and European Super Cup, but exited the competition 2-0 to Arsenal.

“I believe Arsenal played better than we did over the 180 minutes and so deserved to go through. No club has won the Champions League twice in a row since us in 1990-91, so we couldn’t break that taboo,” said Galliani.

“We did really well in the opening 15-20 minutes and there was a period of Arsenal pressure, but we conceded a goal right when Arsenal seemed to be on a downward spiral.

“Unfortunately it was decided in midfield and we had some players returning from injury, others out completely like Clarence Seedorf, so it was very bad timing.

“This is football and we must focus on our next challenge. Let’s not forget we are the club with the most trophies in the world and in 2007 we won three prestigious cups.”

There were reports Carlo Ancelotti would be sacked if he failed to reach the Champions League semi-finals, but Galliani painted a different picture.

“Our President Silvio Berlusconi is fantastic and told the players that we can’t always win in football, so we have to keep going.

“It is a great shame that after so many years we went out in the second round, but we were unlucky to pick Arsenal so early.

“We did our duty and won our group, but Arsenal came second in theirs, so we crossed paths.”

Always the superstitious type, the Milan transfer guru looked to the future.

“We have reached the Champions League Final in odd years – 2003, 2005 and 2007 – so we book our ticket for 2009.”

channel4

We focused on two games?? Ha-ha!! laugh.gif I bet he reads his comments and laughs right now... And since when was CL not our objective? Since last week it was our big target of the season... this is ridiculous!!
QUOTE (Kaka)
The Champions League was our objective

Now suck on this Galliani!!! Stop with this attitude already. We are not sheep!!! There are some people that wag their tail with everything you say cause they are just mindless dogs but the Milan fans are not stupid! Who do you think you are talking to??

Not the end of an era? It is the end of an era just because Maldini retires... or did you not notice that the greatest symbol of this club ends his career this coming summer?? And yes, once again, listen to what Kaka has to say...
QUOTE (Kaka)
“At the end of the season many players reach the end of their contracts and the club will decide what signings to make”

How more subtly does he have to put it?? But he's not allowed to say such things, is he?
kurtsimonw
I would usually write a huge rant about how much of an idiot he is, but even the calmest, most biased Milanfan on earth can see how pathetic this is, there's no need to write anymore.
Portman
Galliani: We chose World Cup

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Joke of the fecking year.
bigmacmtl
whats there to say? this guy is a joke and a disgrace to the red and black and is hell bent on making look as retarded as he is. the most pathetic thing i have ever herd from a figure in the footballing world.

now lets play hang man

Galliani is a f_ _ _ _ _ _ f_ _ c _ _ _ .

*HINT* the last word is porty's fav word.
whoarethepatriots
That is a poor excuse for trying to justify whats happening to us
acid911
The jury is still out on whether Galliani is a madman or the greatest comedian since the dawn of time - either way he is great for a laugh. biggrin.gif We chose World Cup. Never thought I'd hear this as an excuse, and believe me I've heard lots in the last couple of years. tongue.gif mad.gif mad.gif

sad.gif
bigmacmtl
"We did really well in the opening 15-20 minutes and there was a period of Arsenal pressure,"

thats the sorta comments you would expect from reggina, brescia or cremonese.

we played 15 good minutes out of 90 laugh.gif

"but we conceded a goal right when Arsenal seemed to be on a downward spiral."

arsenal conceding a couple of corners is considered a downward spiral laugh.gif laugh.gif actually milan was giving the ball away a few times before pirlo finally gave it to fabregas and then in the back of the net.
jbryant1
I don't know whats worse. Losing to Arsenal or listening to Galliani's BS. Its a total insult to the fans intelligence. If you passed a survey around asking what the fans what they want to see, they would all vote for the Serie A trophy or Champions League. With Galliani he just makes it up as he goes. If they win the Super Cup and lose Serie A his answer is "well it was our objective for which we sacrificed." If they had lost the Super Cup and were winning in Serie A he would say "we were focused on the Serie A."

Compared to the Champions League trophy the WCC trophy is something you get for hitting 3 bowling pins off the wooden block at a carnival.
Jack Sparrow
Adriano Galliani and Carlo Ancelotti wanted to thank the fans for their support and for their final salute. Now we must aim for the fourth place, to return as soon as possible to the competition which is closest to Milan.

GALLIANI

“We have done what no one has done. In 6 years we have reached important results. Evidently destiny wants that our finals are played in odd number years: after 2003, 2005, 2007, and…2009! Arsenal found the goal in our best moment. Just before, Pato had shot well and the ball was deflected. A corner was not awarded to us and on the following action they scored. This is football. I must say that as always president Berlusconi is always the greatest, considering that he was the first og increasing the morale to all of us. Now we must think exclusively to the next 12 league games to find back what is our natural environment: the Champions League. Even though we exit Europe, we shall continue to hold on to the top spot in the European ranking and we shall move forward with this group. There will surely be new purchases, but the coach will remain. Let’s remember that the season is still positive, because in 2007/08 we won the European Super Cup and the Club World Cup. Another important thing is that at Milan we live with sentiments and friendship. (Thank you) We shall return to live wonderful evenings.”

ANCELOTTI

“We did the best we could. They were good to press, to remove the spaces and to play in the tight spaces. We encountered difficulties because they were diligent from the tactical level. It happens to be eliminated early, but that makes us feel sorry because it never happened before. Reaching the fourth place we are convinced that we can say that it was a good season. Now, as paradox, we shall have more time to be better physically. Tonight, amongst others, Nesta was back. At first he felt some pain, but then he was ok until then ed. However they all gave their best in the middle of a 1000 difficulties. I must say that they found the goal where in another moment of the game they would have not scored. My rapport with the club is very clear: I have no intention of changing and it’s the same for them. I don’t stay because there exists a contract, but because there is a program, there’s an objective to reach together. Finally I thank the fans for the way they behaved at the end of the game. It is not a behaviour which is seen very often in Italy and for this reason they deserve compliments.  They know more than anyone else what we did in these six years. I thank them from my heart.”

Pretty honest...of course typical Galliani to talk about the corner.
Tess
I cant believe that came out of his mouth....since when was the champions league not one of Milan priority...i still cant believe that they are out it makes me want to cry. sad.gif
Jack Sparrow
^^
unsure.gif

I suppose I should be glad I knew Milan during the Zach era...trust me Tess..things can get much worse.
han2503
That's probably the biggest load of cr@p Galliani has tried to feed the fans in a while mad.gif

We played 2 games to win the CWC!!! I mean come on!!!!

Why can't he just admit that we need big changes if we are to compete next season, and let's face it, we might have also ruined our chances of CL football for next season because we don't have a squad that can handle more then one competition at a time.
LaPalma
What Porty said.
And I want to add that this joke of a vice-president makes me aggresive and I that I think he's a self-loving idiot.
Nova
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 5 2008, 07:24 AM)
^^
unsure.gif

I suppose I should be glad I knew Milan during the Zach era...trust me Tess..things can get much worse.

Not to mention the 2years before the Zack area.
Zed.D
Of course there will be new players. but of what quality?!!? one or two free agents like Ferrari [an average defender]. a 31yo Zambrotta [where better than Milan [aka old-mans' school] to end your career? wink.gif]. no new GK. no one in midfield, since we supposedly have the best midfield in the world [but of course that's a joke. our midfield IS overrated and once again they proved it last night].

All I know is that he's insulting the fans with these words. total disgrace. I do hope he proves us doubters wrong in the summer, but I know he won't...

Sack Galliani, bring Moggi. rolleyes.gif
han2503
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Mar 5 2008, 10:17 AM)
no one in midfield, since we supposedly have the best midfield in the world [but of course that's a joke. our midfield IS overrated and once again they proved it last night].

This is where I don't agree with you, I do believe that our midfield is one of the best around, but when you have such important players like Pirlo, Seedorf, Rino and Kaka, playing constantly2 games per week then at some point they will get burned out. Kaka last night tried his best, I could see that but it just wasn't happening for him, he's been rushed into games, because let's face it without him we are half the team. At this rate his knee injury won't ever fully heel

Seedorf, also another one, yes he's sometimes lazy and picks his games, but again like Kaka, rushed into games because we have no one else to do what he does and agrrevating an injury.

And let's not start on Pirlo, he looks half the player he can be atm. He's run ragged every season because we have NO ONE that could do anything remotely close to what he does. Last night he looked like a ghost, ket losing the ball and didn't make any decent passes the goal that killed us off was because of his mistake.

Our problem is not the players we have because they are probably the best midfielders in their respective positions, but the fact that we don't have a squad big enough to give these players even time to breath. Look at Inter, they lose midfielders to injury or rest them and still they put out a second string team that is almost as good as their first choice midfield.
Jack Sparrow
Well we have an excellent first team. But that first team wasn't really there yesterday...

Our first team for the CL would have been

Oddo---Nesta---Paolo---Janku
--------Rino--Pirlo----Ambro---
------Kaka----------Clarence--
-------------Pippo--------------

This wasn't what we played yesterday...

I'd say only our backline was better than theirs...
Their midfield was better than ours without Clarence
Their attack was much better synchronised while for us Pato and Pippo were virtually playing together for the first time.

Except for Rosicky whom they've played without as much as us and Ronaldo...it was a full strength team for them.

You know when Carlo says, the team gave it all, but there was nothing left, that something was wrong.

I disagree with all that motivation cr@p. I didn't see a single player who was not motivated...Nesta..Kaladze...Kaka...Pato...even Pirlo were motivated....there was nothing left in the tank.

I know Pirlo didn't have a good game. But once again...the disrespect with which our players are treated irks me a lot. And this is not just because I'm a Pirlo fan. Take a look at that team...

Two focal points of creativity both of them not fully fit. Pirlo and Kaka. Pato certainly proved what I'd suspected for some time. He's not a genuine support striker.He's a fast, quick, talented primo punta.With Seedorf in, it would have been lethal. He only managed to link with Pippo once. How difficult do you think it was for Arsenal with 2 box-to box mids (Flamini/Cesc) and two wingers to shut us down.

Thank god our defence was fully fit...well even Nesta was niggling...we held them off for so long...

Ambro was the only person who looked fit to me...
Rino was sorely out of pace...
Pirlo and Kaka were both double teamed....
Pato was at sea against Gallas and Senderos together.

Arsenal outplayed us...it's a bit painful...but it's true...and while some of you feel better pointing fingers, it's not gonna change anything. Unless being smug and saying 'I knew it all along' makes you feel good.

Changes are needed. But I suppose, they didn't want to make them, till the old generation left. Now Galliani has already said, there will be changes..and I'm pretty sure it will happen. They've got enough players to build a team upon...Nesta (for 3 more years)...Kaka...Pirlo...Pippo. The jury's still out on Gila. And I don't mean us, I mean the management.

I'm pretty sure, the changes will happen. Galliani speaks a lot of rhetoric, but he's no fool..you don't stay 20 years in this business if you are a fool.

Pato was a smart purchase...even though we made all those noises about R20 and a bunch of other strikers. And he already looks like it's paying off.

I guess...that's what's been happening...a new backbone was being assembled...and now I'm sure next season we'll flesh it out.

I have faith in this team. And I'm grateful to all those players who are wearing the red and black now.

I'm sorry but when Galliani says Milan are a team that values sentiments and friendship..I agree coz what he's saying is we won't sell our soul for a few pieces of silver.

And for the record, before you think sentiments are worthless...its why Leonardo is still here...and hence why we got Kaka. And the same atmosphere is what dragged Pato here, inspite of bigger bucks from Chelsea.

I think the board knows changes have to be made. They're making all the right moves. Our primavera players have been really active in Serie A. So they're planning for the future.

I'm not writing off Milan coz of one bad season. Hey if Pana could become a fan after watching Milan lose 1-7 to Juve... biggrin.gif I'm a bigger fan now, after last night...
dst
Jack... come on... we all know what Milan represents... what does that have to do with Galliani says?? To me, his comments are disrespectful to the fans, he thinks he's talking to a bunch of fools!

Kaka said it, Ancelotti said it and of course they did not even have to say it... it's common sense that the Champions League was our biggest target of the season... and it's not bad to admit we failed. What's bad is pretending...
redbabies
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 5 2008, 01:50 PM)
Jack... come on... we all know what Milan represents... what does that have to do with Galliani says?? To me, his comments are disrespectful to the fans, he thinks he's talking to a bunch of fools!

you're f@ckin right!!!!!

if for the whole season the objective of Champions League holders Milan is to win against Urawa Red Diamonds huh.gif and Boca Juniors...... then what kind of team is Milan? What kind of "stupid" fans Milan has if they are satisfied with the so-called Club World Cup (which is far away from Ch.L)?

No, Mr. Galliani, NOOO!!!!! We support this club and we think that this team should win everything during one season (even Coppa Italia).

Personally, I forgot how it feels to support a team who fights for championship and goes on and win matches every week. I've been missing those good old-days when we fought against Juve for Seria A (maybe we lost them, but we fought until the end)

Only Silvio can do something here, and I dont f@ckin care about the bold one!
LaPalma
I agree with dst. Galliani is talking so much about respect and honor, yet doesnÄt respect the fans and to be honest with those kinda comments he doesn't respect the team either.
What does it have to do with friendship when Gallianis transfer policy is responsible for such an end of Paolos career?
Everything that guys says is not much than dull catchphrases. And as long as he doesn't respect the fans and the team I won't pay respect for him either.
dst
Also, Jack what do you mean Pato is not a support striker? To me he is a genuine SS... he made his best moves last night taking the ball close the midfield and on the free-throw line... I don't know if it was his decision or Ancelotti's to have him played so close to the box but it was certainly not a wise one...

QUOTE (redbabies @ Mar 5 2008, 03:53 PM)
Personally, I forgot how it feels to support a team who fights for championship and goes on and win matches every week. I've been missing those good old-days when we fought against Juve for Seria A (maybe we lost them, but we fought until the end)

Every club has winning circles. We can't be winning forever... it's only normal. But I can't accept to hear that this has been a successful season. It has not been our worst in history but there is no reason in closing our eyes to the problems that exist...
LaPalma
I think Pato is still too young nail him on one position. We should experiment a little with his position, find out what he can do and what he's got at.
dst
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Mar 5 2008, 04:12 PM)
I think Pato is still too young nail him on one position. We should experiment a little with his position, find out what he can do and what he's got at.

Right.
redbabies
Pato started the match as a left-striker (if I can call it like that) and during the match Carlo called him (we could see it) and immediately the next time he was going back to take the ball and play through the middle.
Nova
And to think someone was telling me to learn how to lose . rolleyes.gif

I cant believe anyone is actually taking galliani's word seriously . smile.gif
he wont quit and he wont be fired . So you might as well accept it now and start looking forward to our summer transfers. king.gif

I personally admire him , silvio & carlo. And its strange to see people taking victories for granted , like its a normal thing. You win some , you lose some .

I dont like the way we lost , and im sure this feeling of losing will fire them up to make the best of it this season.

We lost and Galliani can say whatever he wants since he is the vice president of a club that won a lot of trophies wich he is partially resposible for.

PLUS , whenever galliani says something , you guys take it wayyyy to personal , like the man is talking to you directly biggrin.gif If I was in his shoes I would probably say the same , but I would never trash my own team in public just cause it looks cool.
LaPalma
QUOTE (Nova @ Mar 5 2008, 03:41 PM)

he wont quit and he wont be fired . So you might as well accept it now and start looking forward to our summer transfers. king.gif

I personally admire him , silvio & carlo. And its strange to see people taking  victories for granted , like its a normal thing. You win some , you lose some .

I dont like the way we lost , and im sure this feeling of losing will fire them up to make the best of it this season.

We lost and Galliani can say whatever he wants since he is the vice president of a club that won a lot of trophies wich he is partially resposible for.

PLUS , whenever galliani says something , you guys take it wayyyy to personal , like the man is talking to you directly biggrin.gif If I was in his shoes I would probably say the same , but I would never trash my own team in public just cause it looks cool.

huh.gif
Nova
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Mar 5 2008, 03:52 PM)
huh.gif

blink.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (Nova @ Mar 5 2008, 04:37 PM)
blink.gif

innocent.gif
Nova
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Mar 5 2008, 04:41 PM)
innocent.gif

biggrin.gif
Warchant
i don't even know what to say...i got up this morning waiting to see what bs was thrown out...and this is the best i get.

*sigh*
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 5 2008, 06:20 PM)

Kaka said it, Ancelotti said it and of course they did not even have to say it... it's common sense that the Champions League was our biggest target of the season... and it's not bad to admit we failed. What's bad is pretending...

When I mentioned what Milan represents, I wasn't talking about Galliani's rhetoric. I was talking about how some of us just wants to offload players like torn clothes. It was the heat of the moment, but that kinda pissed me off.

And as for Galliani's comments. First off there might be errors in translation. Secondly, that he bluffs is something everyone knows. He's admitted it himself, when he talked about the Pato transfer. Thirdly, he said we paid the penalty for putting such a high priority on the Club WC. And don't tell me it isn't true. We've been playing a match every three days, and our position didn't allow us to do much but field our best 11. That most of them were injured didn't help.

We could have done things differently, treated the club WC like a Coppa Italia match, but we didn't. And btw, he's already said that changes will be made. He's just said that the coach won't be changed.
Bluesummers
i'm not even gonna comment on how stupid and idiotic/moronic galliani is. All i know is this hurts and there better be some mending going on in the summer. Every big club at least spends 20 million every transfer window and we have not.
bigmacmtl
come on jack, the only guy we were missing was seedorf. arsenal we're missing at least 4 key players for this game and they handily beat us.
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Nova @ Mar 5 2008, 09:41 AM)

I personally admire him , silvio & carlo. And its strange to see people taking  victories for granted , like its a normal thing. You win some , you lose some .

and i thought gallianis comments were ridiculous.
Nova
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 5 2008, 05:12 PM)
When I mentioned what Milan represents, I wasn't talking about Galliani's rhetoric. I was talking about how some of us just wants to offload players like torn clothes. It was the heat of the moment, but that kinda pissed me off.

And as for Galliani's comments. First off there might be errors in translation. Secondly, that he bluffs is something everyone knows. He's admitted it himself, when he talked about  the Pato transfer. Thirdly, he said we paid the penalty for putting such a high priority on the Club WC. And don't tell me it isn't true. We've been playing a match every three days, and our position didn't allow us to do much but field our best 11. That most of them were injured didn't help.

We could have done things differently, treated the club WC like a Coppa Italia match, but we didn't. And btw, he's already said that changes will be made. He's just said that the coach won't be changed.

I too believe changes will be made . Essential ones. No favalli type of transfers.

About the world cup , it would be better to organize it during summer. But even without the WC , I dont know if that would have made such a big difference.

4th place is gonna be really hard , i dont see fiorentina dropping points that easily. Plus we have to win all of our games too ... I'm pretty confident we can reach 4th spot , but as galliani said , we need to play all of our remaining games as finals. We cant afford to lose points anymore.

as always , forza Milan !
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 5 2008, 06:12 PM)
And as for Galliani's comments. First off there might be errors in translation. Secondly, that he bluffs is something everyone knows. He's admitted it himself, when he talked about  the Pato transfer. Thirdly, he said we paid the penalty for putting such a high priority on the Club WC. And don't tell me it isn't true. We've been playing a match every three days, and our position didn't allow us to do much but field our best 11. That most of them were injured didn't help.

Yes but why was it a problem focusing on the World Cup? Because our bench players are of very very low quality... if we had better substitutes we would not be forced to field our starters every week and we would not even be fighting for 4th place, we would comfortably take it.

Of course this is all in the past now. We can't change the decision that were taken in the past 3 seasons. What matters is the future and I'm frustrated cause Galliani is not admitting that we're not fine. I'm not saying he should come out and say what will be done but if it's so bad telling the truth then I guess Kaka should be fined or something...
bigmacmtl
called in a local radio show thats hosted by this dude call noel butler. anyways we talked about the game, milan in general. then we get to galliani and he bashed him so bad it was hilarious laugh.gif
acid911
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Mar 6 2008, 05:28 AM)
called in a local radio show thats hosted by this dude call noel butler. anyways we talked about the game, milan in general. then we get to galliani and he bashed him so bad it was hilarious

Lol, do you have a recording or something to share with us? tongue.gif
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (acid911 @ Mar 5 2008, 08:14 PM)
Lol, do you have a recording or something to share with us? tongue.gif

no sorry but it was so funny. he's a Chelsea supporter but he likes milan over in italy and wants the best for us so it's not for no reason he seriously dislikes the guy.
acid911
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Mar 6 2008, 07:02 AM)
no sorry but it was so funny. he's a Chelsea supporter but he likes milan over in italy and wants the best for us so it's not for no reason he seriously dislikes the guy.

Aww, that's okay. Would have been cool to hear the show - anything that bashes Galliani is worth reading, hearing or seeing. Not that the web isn't filled with anti-baldi stuff. tongue.gif
Habitant
i dont buy into that, galliani is really tarnishing the image of milan.
Jack Sparrow
^^^

unsure.gif Well it was an image..he helped build.
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 6 2008, 10:08 AM)

So what?? I guess then that Calatrava can damage everything he has created because he is the architect behind it? It does not make sense... Milan does not beling to Galliani.

Anyway... I have faith that the right moves will be made in the summer!
Ry4n
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 6 2008, 02:18 PM)

I agree ,

3 or 4 players thats all but if more are needed for depth then the more the merriar
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 6 2008, 02:18 PM)
So what?? I guess then that Calatrava can damage everything he has created because he is the architect behind it? It does not make sense... Milan does not beling to Galliani.

Unfortunately I don't feel as confident as you! sad.gif
Habitant
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 6 2008, 08:08 AM)
^^^

he's been a passanger the whole time, we all know it's purely silvio thats built up milan. to see galliani make such ignorant comments just makes you wanna puke.gif puke.gif
dst
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Mar 6 2008, 07:35 PM)
Unfortunately I don't feel as confident as you! sad.gif

I'm not confident... but I cannot believe that they will NOT do something...
Habitant
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 6 2008, 06:28 PM)

they will obviously will do something, the problem is they might only make a couple of good moves when we desperately need much more.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 6 2008, 06:28 PM)

Oh they'll sign Zambrotta and then to score the goals they'll sign Sheva! And if we're lucky they might try and convince Paolo to extend for an extra season rolleyes.gif

I won't expect much more than that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.