Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maldini's Millenium
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
Tennie
This evening at the Tardini Paolo Maldini could celebrate the 1,000th match of his professional career.

He made his debut on January 20, 1985 and between Italy and Milan in all official competition has so far notched up 999 appearances.

“Serginho always asks me how many nights I have spent in a pre-match ritiro. The answer is really quite a lot…” smiled the living legend.

“My other view of this milestone is that I have been fortunate to avoid serious injuries, to play in a great club, to be pushed by an enormous passion for the sport and having always had fun.”

In his 23 years at the top, Maldini has won six different games with a 6-0 scoreline, though of course one in particular stands out.

“The derby we played with Inter as the home team. I remember the sight of the scoreboard at San Siro and my father’s face, as he was on the bench. It wasn’t a great season, but the derby gave us all such joy.

“Having said that, it’s not always enjoyable to win by such a big margin. We respected Inter in that game. It is not right to stop when you are 2-0 or 3-0 up, but at the end of the day you do feel a little sorry if a team is beaten so heavily.”

It is that kind of attitude to the sport that has seen Maldini respected by teammates and opponents alike.

“I hope my legacy will be one of absolute respect for the sport and opposition. This respect has been recognised by the fans, as I have never been insulted or jeered in any particular fashion.

“I did not create a personality or character that is separate from how I am in real life and this was appreciated by fans.”

Il Capitano has already said he won’t follow in his father’s footsteps by becoming a Coach after his retirement in June, aged 40.

Recent reports suggest he could take over as the main director for the Milan youth teams, which include his son, Christian.

“I have not yet spoken to the club, but I don’t think that will be my path. I have not set a meeting either. I hope I can keep proving my sense of belonging to Milan.

“That does not mean we have to work together at all times, but if it did happen I would be very happy.”

cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif Forza Il Capitano!

link (original is a long interview in Gazzetta; english version quoted here is football italia's)
Locke Lamora
Damn what a legend this guy is.
I seriously can't think of a better ambassador for the Beautiful Game than Maldini...absloute legend.
arivanjj
king.gif king.gif king.gif

yep... every time i read his quotes, my body just shivers!
dst
God has spoken! smile.gif
Ry4n
FORZA MALDINI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif
redbabies
start counting from 1 to 1000 you'll see how much it takes

leave it playing 1000 matches....
Locke Lamora
90 x 1000=...thats 90 000 minutes... king.gif
weeeow
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 16 2008, 05:29 PM)
90 x 1000=...thats 90 000 minutes... king.gif

thats 62.5 solid days of football! innocent.gif
misha
There is only one God (in football La Palma wink.gif ) and there won't be another.
Zed.D
@ mishale

Good? you mean God?
misha
^^
Yeah. I was typing too fast blush.gif
kurtsimonw
Congrats to Maldini on this.

Playing football at all shows you have a ability, playing 1,000 games shows you have that ability over a long peroid of time. To do them all at the top level for one of the Worlds greatest clubs, now that is one heck of an accompishment.
bigmacmtl
1000 is a nice number cool.gif
Fillipo Simone
Oh,...Paolo.. wub.gif
kidnicky
the one and only football God! Forza Paolo! king.gif king.gif
kidnicky
the one and only football God! Forza Paolo! king.gif king.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.