Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ACN 2008
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
dst
QUOTE (Wiki)
The 2008 Africa Cup of Nations, also known as the MTN Africa Cup of Nations due to the competition's sponsorship by the MTN Group, will be the 26th edition of the African Cup of Nations, the football championship of Africa. Ghana won the right to host the tournament after defeating Libya 9-3 in a vote among Confederation of African Football (CAF) executive committee members in Cairo. South Africa withdrew their bid after winning the right to host the 2010 World Cup. The tournament will be held between 20 January and 10 February 2008. The winner of the tournament will represent CAF at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup.

A great competition that is older than the Euro. The last football competition on Earth where it's all about the players... tactics do not really matter here.

Côte d'Ivoire have the best team in my opinion.

The African teams will inevitably contend seriously for the WC in the future. The 2010 ACN will probably tell us more about which that team might be...
Portman
Ivory Coast and Ghana are my bets for the ACN 2008.

BTW: Eurosport is broadcasting it.
Rossoneri7
Egypt are the current holders. They have a great player in Mohamed Aboutreika (MF) .. He was at the CWC playing for Al-Ahly of Egypt. He is Egypt's version of "Zidane", since he plays as an AM and has several goals to his name (some key to winning the same tournament last time around).

He had been approached two years ago by some of the European teams, but the Egyptian public protested and wanted him to stay in Egypt. He is really talented, if u get a chance, check him out.

I am cheering for Morocco biggrin.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 21 2008, 01:12 AM)
Egypt are the current holders. They have a great player in Mohamed Aboutreika (MF) .. He was at the CWC playing for Al-Ahly of Egypt. He is Egypt's version of "Zidane", since he plays as an AM and has several goals to his name (some key to winning the same tournament last time around).

He had been approached two years ago by some of the European teams, but the Egyptian public protested and wanted him to stay in Egypt. He is really talented, if u get a chance, check him out.
I am cheering for Morocco biggrin.gif

Just watching their match against Namibia on Eurosport. They're really good. And it's refreshing to see a game not dominated by tactics only. Like dst said, the players are more important here.
kurtsimonw
Currently 5 minutes to go in this game..

Nigeria 0-1 Ivory Coast
Chelsea's Kalou with the goal on '66.
arivanjj
wonderful goal by Kalou

other results:
Namibia 1 - 5 Morocco
Alloudi hatrik

Mali 1 - 0 Benin
Kanoute (penalty)
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jan 21 2008, 06:42 PM)
Just watching their match against Namibia on Eurosport. They're really good. And it's refreshing to see a game not dominated by tactics only. Like dst said, the players are more important here.

Yup, that was a good game biggrin.gif ... 5 goals, Moroc just warming up tongue.gif

Tomorrow (Tue 22nd) Cameroon vs Egypt !!! This is a BIG one.
Tennie
It's currently Egypt 3 - 1 Cameroon. (game's in the 75th). Egypt seem to be off to a strong start.
dst
4-1 now, beautiful goal but Zidan's was better.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jan 22 2008, 09:39 PM)
It's currently Egypt 3 - 1 Cameroon. (game's in the 75th). Egypt seem to be off to a strong start.

Off to a very strong start. But to be honest, Cameroon isn't what it used to be.

Still, Egypt started by testing some of it's 2nd tier players, who responded really well.

ANyways, Congrats to them for a splendid match played smile.gif
Tennie
I only have what BBC & Eurosport print to go by, but it seems as if Cote d'Ivoire's Kolo Toure picked up a groin injury just before halftime of the game v. the Squirrels (so BBC informs me) of Benin. (Toure also plays for the Gooners so.....)

Cote d'Ivoire leads 2-0 at the half.
bigmacmtl
10 man ghana beat nigeria 2-1 smile.gif
kurtsimonw
FT Ghana 0-1 Cameroon. A shame that the hosts didn't make the final.

Egypt are currently leading the Ivory Coast 1-0, start of the second half. The Egyptian keeper has been superb.
Ry4n
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 7 2008, 09:39 PM)
FT Ghana 0-1 Cameroon. A shame that the hosts didn't make the final.

Egypt are currently leading the Ivory Coast 1-0, start of the second half. The Egyptian keeper has been superb.

yep i remember him from when Egypt last won it he was great !
kurtsimonw
-Egypt make it 2-0.
-Keita pulls one back for the elephants, 2-1.
-Quite shocking defending from Kolo Toure, Egypt score again, 3-1.

3 goals in 5 minutes!
Portman
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 7 2008, 09:58 PM)
-Egypt make it 2-0.
-Keita pulls one back for the elephants, 2-1.
-Quite shocking defending from Kolo Toure, Egypt score again, 3-1.

3 goals in 5 minutes!

I'm watching. Nice match.

Touré brothers are playing like amateurs.
kurtsimonw
4-1 Egypt.

The Final will be Egypt vs Cameroon. I hope Eto'o and the boys give 'em a stuffing!
dst
Seems like the Egyptians will be in the final again... dry.gif And against Cameroon I think it's theirs to lose... but I don't like them nor their crappy attitude!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 7 2008, 10:21 PM)
Seems like the Egyptians will be in the final again... dry.gif And against Cameroon I think it's theirs to lose... but I don't like them nor their crappy attitude!

I don't like them either!

Some of the football played at this tournement has been really good. I think we're definitly getting closer to an African team really becoming a contender at a World Cup.
Darunia
I don't know what Toure was doing on the 3rd goal... completely lost. He surely won't do that against Milan =/
Portman
We should get Aboutreika. He's 29 ffs. Open you eyes Galliani! cool.gif
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Darunia @ Feb 7 2008, 11:38 PM)
I don't know what Toure was doing on the 3rd goal... completely lost.  He surely won't do that against Milan =/

He better not, or Senderos will gain his place as a regular...
Darunia
Ah you changed your avatar.. that Seedorf one was so good! =/

yes.. that was more of something Senderos usually does.
Tennie
Egypt has retained the title, defeating Cameroon 1-0 in the final.

Goal by Aboutrika in the 76th.

(for Liga watchers, Eto'o was hurt late in the game - looked like maybe a hamstring problem - but stayed in as Cameroon had used up all its subs).
Portman
Egypt was the best 'team' of the tournament.
Maybe not the best players but as a team... they were. They deserved it title.
milanista88
yea congrats to Egypt!
tho the final wasnt so great compared to the group stage win 4-2
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Darunia @ Feb 8 2008, 01:27 AM)
Ah you changed your avatar.. that Seedorf one was so good! =/

yes.. that was more of something Senderos usually does.

You can have it then. smile.gif
bigmacmtl
man it's amazing how egpyt keep winning it, yess they always have a solid team but there never favored as much as the ghanas, cote d'ivoires, etc. props to Egypt.
jefri91
pffff African Cup is nothing
dst
QUOTE (jefri91 @ Feb 10 2008, 10:04 PM)
pffff African Cup is nothing

why is that?
Zed.D
Zidan on!
Zed.D
Egypt hit the bar. they're quite good tbh.
Zed.D
Egypt score! what a golden pass from Zidan!
kurtsimonw
zrd.. you watching the delayed showing or something? tongue.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 11 2008, 01:00 AM)
zrd.. you watching the delayed showing or something? tongue.gif

I don't know! O my god!! laugh.gif
Zed.D
ph34r.gif blush.gif Sh1t! I'm so stupid!
kurtsimonw
laugh.gif

I'm sure we've all done it before. tongue.gif
Darunia
It's a good thing to not know the score.. otherwise the game isn't as exciting.
jefri91
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 10 2008, 08:59 PM)
why is that?

because Egypt always win it. shows how bad it is when a team like that wins it
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (jefri91 @ Feb 11 2008, 09:31 PM)
because Egypt always win it. shows how bad it is when a team like that wins it

Egypt aren't that bad.

I wouldn't say they're any worse than Iraq, and they won their continental Championship. blink.gif
misha
Congrats to our south neighbors. Will be nice to see them in WC for a change...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.