Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 18/09/07 - UCL - AC Milan vs. Benfica
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Fillipo Simone
As defending champions this will be a tuff match, especially cause Benfica is a serious team. This will also be, I suppose, a match full of emotions, primary because of Rui Costa's return to San Siro. Also let's remember our first european title in 1963 against Benfica. My prediction would be the same result, that means 2-1 for us,... biggrin.gif
dst
I think we'll start on a high... 2-0 for Milan!! Kaka and... Kaka!!

I can't wait to see Rui Costa at the San Siro again!!! smile.gif
misha
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 15 2007, 05:10 PM)
Also let's remember our first european title in 1963 against Benfica.

And 4th in the 1990 wink.gif

Will be great to see Rui at San Siro. Benfica is even weaker than last year, and I don't think it will be too hard of a task to beat them. 2:0.
han2503
Let's hope we start our defence of the cup with big ears on a high.

Benfica, as mishale said have gotten weaker from last year since they basically sold their best players.

The only fixtures I am worried about in the group stage are the ties against Celtic, they gave us a real hard time last season. So we need to take all the points from Benfica and Shakthar. Bu hopefully we'll start well and win the group before the last match day
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 15 2007, 04:10 PM)
Let's hope we start our defence of the cup with big ears on a high.

Benfica, as mishale said have gotten weaker from last year since they basically sold their best players.

The only fixtures I am worried about in the group stage are the ties against Celtic, they gave us a real hard time last season. So we need to take all the points from Benfica and Shakthar. Bu hopefully we'll start well and win the group before the last match day

Shakhtar isn't a joke also, but, we are 100% favorietes,.. biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 15 2007, 03:39 PM)
Shakhtar isn't a joke also, but, we are 100% favorietes,.. biggrin.gif

Ok Shakthar away will be tough but if we play well we will win
Rossoneri7
I don't see any reason for us to worry ... We'll top the group IMO king.gif

And Benfica are a tricky side, but at the San Siro it's a whole different ball game devil.gif devil.gif
Portman

Today Benfica won 3-0 at home vs. Naval. Confortable win. It was 3 but it could be 4 or 5 easily.

» Rui Costa, Rodriguez and Nuno Gomes scored. Petit injuried and Cardozo (their #1 striker) was rested.

We'll see who's available for the San Siro trip, although Petit would be a BIG miss (he's like their Gattuso).

They've also the CB problem: Luisao + David Luiz + Zoro are out so they had to play the last matches with Katsouranis in that place.
Fillipo Simone
I hope we'll get a glimpse at Freddy Adu...Also, I'm very interested in Maximiliano Pereira, he had some good Copa America minutes I think.

In all, I'm excited to see Benfica play. I really do expect from them to be 2nd, infront of Celtic.
Portman
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 15 2007, 11:14 PM)
I hope we'll get a glimpse at Freddy Adu...Also, I'm very interested in Maximiliano Pereira, he had some good Copa America minutes I think.

In all, I'm excited to see Benfica play. I really do expect from them to be 2nd, infront of Celtic.

Adu? I don't think he's ready to face a top European match right now. The new Benfica coach Camacho will give him time to settle. At least I doubt.

Max Pereira? He seemed an average player to me. In the other hand Rodriguez impressed me.

Hum... it will be difficult for Benfica. They've a lot of injuries, and personally I think they had a better squad 2 years ago and specially last year.

But this new-Benfica need time too.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Porty @ Sep 15 2007, 11:32 PM)
Adu? I don't think he's ready to face a top European match right now. The new Benfica coach Camacho will give him time to settle. At least I doubt.

Max Pereira? He seemed an average player to me. In the other hand Rodriguez impressed me.

Hum... it will be difficult for Benfica. They've a lot of injuries, and personally I think they had a better squad 2 years ago and specially last year.

But this new-Benfica need time too.

Simao + Anderson (big players who left) < Camacho+Rodriguez+Cardozo+Butt

But that's only theoretically,...In fact Simaos departure is the biggest problem, and also this team needs time to blend.
KillerMax
I think we will definitely get the 3 points. We always do better in the CL. Hopefully we won't win with a big margin so the team won't get cocky and the management don't start with their usual "we don't need anyone" talk.
arivanjj
ahhh good ol' CL... i'll be watching it on TV biggrin.gif
Rossoneri7
Rui Costa eager for Milan reunion

Manuel Rui Costa has rediscovered his form at Benfica and is looking forward to Tuesday’s reunion with old club Milan.

“At San Siro I will find myself facing the team with which I became European champion and where many of my friends still work king.gif ,” he told the official Benfica website.

“This is why it will be a very special occasion for me. But I will give my all for Benfica.”

The Portuguese veteran is still Milan’s biggest ever signing at £27m from Fiorentina in 2001, but was criticised for his performances despite helping them to the Champions League trophy, European Super Cup and Coppa Italia.

Benfica open their Champions League campaign at San Siro on Tuesday evening and are confident going into the match.

Rui Costa was one of the scorers in their 3-0 win over Naval this weekend along with Cristian Rodriguez and former Fiorentina striker Nuno Gomes.

Milan’s other Group D opponents were also victorious in their domestic fixtures, as Shakhtar Donetsk won 2-1 away to Chernomorets Odessa with Cristiano Lucarelli converting a penalty.

Celtic comfortably hammered Inverness Caledonian Thistle 5-0 thanks to a Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink brace, Phil McGuire own goal and strikes from ex-Milan man Massimo Donati and former Reggina star Shunsuke Nakamura.

Football Italia
kurtsimonw
I predict a great performance, and a nice scoreline. 3-0 Milan. Kaka' (2) and Pippo.

If we win all of our home games, I think we'll win the group, because I don't see us losing many away games, maybe draws.
han2503
Can't wait to see Rui at the San Siro again wub.gif

@kurt, agreed that if we maintain a 100% record at home then we will win the group. I'm expecting us to beat at least Shakthar away and maybe draw or lose to Celtic away and draw against Benfica, this would be enough for us to win it
Tennie
Mike Riley from England will referee this match.

Opinions on him from those who watch the English league?
jefri91
First game of champions league so its either going to be a 1-0 or 0-1
jefri91
Rui is playing really good at Benfica, if seen him score lots of goals lately. If Benfica score its going to be him who does it.
Ry4n
we all know who is gunna score INZAGHI !! he was the last person to score for us in the champions league and this year the first in champions league
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Sep 16 2007, 08:08 PM)
Mike Riley from England will referee this match.

Opinions on him from those who watch the English league?

rolleyes.gif

Get ready for crap decisions, he's one of the worst, and that's saying something.

He's the idiot that refereed Pompey-Liverpool this wekeend and gave Portsmouth a penalty for nothing at all.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Sep 16 2007, 11:08 PM)
rolleyes.gif

Get ready for crap decisions, he's one of the worst, and that's saying something.

He's the idiot that refereed Pompey-Liverpool this wekeend and gave Portsmouth a penalty for nothing at all.

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

How to forget such an idiot?? He's the one who refereed the match Petr Cech got his injurie. It was Chelsea-Reading, if I'm not entirely wrong. Oh, he's brilliant, really,.. rolleyes.gif
Portman
GK - Quim e Butt;
DF - Luís Filipe, Edcarlos, Léo, Miguel Vítor e Nélson;
MF - Gilles, Katsouranis, Fábio Coentrão, Maxi Pereira, Di María, Cristian Rodriguez, Romeu Ribeiro, Nuno Assis e Rui Costa;
FW - Cardozo, Bergessio e Nuno Gomes.

Benfica squad for Tuesday.
Tennie
Yikes. The Benfica defense is...awfully thin. And no Petit either.

Sad to see as I rather like Benfica.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Tennie @ Sep 17 2007, 01:47 AM)
Yikes. The Benfica defense is...awfully thin. And no Petit either.

Sad to see as I rather like Benfica.

They don't stand a chance at the San Siro, though I'd love to see Rui score one of his long range shots, from the corner of the 18 yard box devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif (just one biggrin.gif )
Tennie
This is hearsay, but I thought I'd pass it along.

I've just chatted with some friends (in Portugal) who are Benfica fans. They're a little nervous about the game and the following things emerged:
1. The fact that Milan rested Kaka and Pirlo (and are 'taking Benfica seriously') scares them.
2. Benfica rested Cardozo but Rui Costa played yesterday and scored that great goal. Petit could've been taken off to be rested - he's their best DM - but he wasn't and got hurt late in the game. They're not happy about that.
3. They're worried about the state of Benfica's defense and aren't sure who'll start as the CBs. They're not too confident in the new defenders. They think Katsouranis might deputise as a CB- or he might slot in the DM spot in Petit's place.
misha
They have a good reason to be worried. We are gonna play with our strongest line up (except Paolo) ,and with all thier problems, a darw will be a great achievement for them.
Rossoneri7
Another important exception will be given to Milan after winning the last tournament: the Rossoneri will have the privilege of taking to the pitch with Adidas Athens Final, the ball that was used during the 23 May final against Liverpool.

This is from the official site ... It says that Milan will play with the Adidas ball of the Athena final devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif

And I believe in omens biggrin.gif
bigmacmtl
i think we're gonna spank them 3-0. we all know how decicated our team is serie a rolleyes.gif so i'm expecting everyone to give 100% to kick start the campaign well
Bluesummers
Dida-oddo-nesta-kaladze-janku-gattuso-pirlo-ambro-kaka-seedorf-inzaghi(gila) not sure what carlo might do with the forewards.

Predictions. 3-1.
misha
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 17 2007, 05:52 AM)
Dida-oddo-nesta-kaladze-janku-gattuso-pirlo-ambro-kaka-seedorf-inzaghi(gila) not sure what carlo might do with the forwards.

100% Pippo
KillerMax
QUOTE (mishale @ Sep 16 2007, 10:47 PM)
100% Pippo

Nope, that's 2118341785481564868164986125862801568016%.

A blind, intoxicated, crippled and retarded Pippo will still be picked ahead of Gila in European games.
misha
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Sep 17 2007, 07:33 AM)

A blind, intoxicated, crippled and retarded Pippo will still be picked ahead of Gila in European games.

laugh.gif laugh.gif True laugh.gif
Zed.D
CL means something special to this side and whether we like it or not, it's still our first priority. hopefully we'll have a good start.

Milan 1-0 Benfica
GOAL: Pirlo/Kaka
arivanjj
Benfica Will Miss Petit For Milan Clash

Benfica midfielder Petit will be out of action for six weeks, missing the opening two matches of his team's Champions League group stage campaign - including the impending midweek match with AC Milan at the San Siro...

Benfica and Portugal midfielder Petit is out with a knee ligament injury, meaning that he will be unable to face AC Milan at the San Siro on Tuesday night.

It's a bitter blow for the Portuguese side, who saw Petit pull up with injury against Naval, and means that he will miss at least two Champions League matches.

As well as the Milan clash, he'll miss the visit from Ukrainian runners-up Shakhtar Donetsk, although he may recover to face Celtic in Glasgow in the following game.

Petit has been with Benfica since arriving from Boavista in 2002. A boyhood fan of the club, he started his career with Gil Vicente in 1999.

He has 50 caps for Portugal, having scored four goals in the process.
Tennie
Uhoh.

From Carletto's press conference today:

Riguardo alla condizione dei giocatori l'unico problema è legato alla condizione di Pirlo. Ieri non si è allenato e non so se potrà recuperare per domani dopo la botta al polpaccio che ha preso con la Nazionale. Gli altri stanno tutti bene. Se non dovesse giocare Pirlo ho comunque altre soluzioni come Emerson e Brocchi.

[Regarding the condition of our players the only problem is Pirlo's condition. Yesterday he didn't train and I don't know if he'll recover by tomorrow from the calf injury he picked up while playing for the national team. Everyone else is doing well. If Pirlo can't play, there are other solutions like Emerson and Brocchi.]

(NOOOOOOOO! If Pirlo can't play, put in Gourcuff!)

link
Warchant
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Sep 17 2007, 05:04 AM)
Benfica Will Miss Petit For Milan Clash 

Benfica midfielder Petit will be out of action for six weeks, missing the opening two matches of his team's Champions League group stage campaign - including the impending midweek match with AC Milan at the San Siro...

Benfica and Portugal midfielder Petit is out with a knee ligament injury, meaning that he will be unable to face AC Milan at the San Siro on Tuesday night.

It's a bitter blow for the Portuguese side, who saw Petit pull up with injury against Naval, and means that he will miss at least two Champions League matches.

As well as the Milan clash, he'll miss the visit from Ukrainian runners-up Shakhtar Donetsk, although he may recover to face Celtic in Glasgow in the following game.

Petit has been with Benfica since arriving from Boavista in 2002. A boyhood fan of the club, he started his career with Gil Vicente in 1999.

He has 50 caps for Portugal, having scored four goals in the process.

I would bet that Adu will start in his place...something that should not be looked over
Tennie
Except that Freddy wasn't called up.

(See previous page for list of Benfica call-ups).
Tennie
(From the club website)

MILAN-BENFICA: I CONVOCATI
17/09/2007
MILANELLO - Questa la lista dei 20 convocati da Carlo Ancelotti per la sfida di Champions League di domani sera contro il Benfica:
PORTIERI: Dida, Kalac;
DIFENSORI: Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Nesta, Oddo, Simic;
CENTROCAMPISTI: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Emerson, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf;
ATTACCANTI: Gilardino, Inzaghi.
whoarethepatriots
Adu is an AM anyway right? while Petit is a DM

Portugal, am i right?
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Sep 17 2007, 07:07 PM)

Portugal, am i right?

As far as I know he can play as a forward as well,...
Zed.D
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Sep 17 2007, 09:03 AM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's right... but what if Pippo pick up an injury?! that's not very uncommon tbh...

Baldy's face would be lovely to see in that case. rolleyes.gif
Tennie
Hey, Pippo scored against Bayern (away leg) last year with...one working leg. He wasn't even close to match fit for that game.

Forza Pippo!
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Sep 17 2007, 08:38 PM)
laugh.gif  laugh.gif

That's right... but what if Pippo pick up an injury?! that's not very uncommon tbh...

Baldy's face would be lovely to see in that case.  rolleyes.gif

This question is not only related to the Milan - Benfica clash, it is a question you can ask all the season long. I hope this thing won't be my Ceterum censeo for this season,... rolleyes.gif

Oh, Kojak has a poker-face, he'll slap us once more with that filled in all positions talk..
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Sep 17 2007, 11:16 PM)
Hey, Pippo scored against Bayern (away leg) last year with...one working leg. He wasn't even close to match fit for that game.

Forza Pippo!

Then what if he breaks a leg!? biggrin.gif ...

I meant a serious injury which completely rules him out for weeks or even months... our attack lacks both quality and quantity right now. we cannot afford to play in the CL with only one striker, who is not Maradona, Batistuta or Ronaldo, but mighty GILARDINO! tongue.gif
han2503
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Sep 17 2007, 06:07 PM)

Portugal, am i right?

Yep
Fillipo Simone
Now, honestly, when will Ronaldo be back? Does anyone have a clue?
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 17 2007, 11:35 PM)
This question is not only related to the Milan - Benfica clash, it is a question you can ask all the season long. I hope this thing won't be my Ceterum censeo for this season,... rolleyes.gif

I know... but right now Milan-Benfica matters a lot. it's one of our three home games and taking three points is a must. because we easily lose points in away matches.

What does that "Ceterum censeo" mean?! tongue.gif in English please!
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Sep 17 2007, 09:16 PM)
What does that "Ceterum censeo" mean?!  tongue.gif in English please!

It means "Moreover, I recommend (or it is my opinion)"; it is the belief that Cato began all his speeches in the roman senate with that phrase (in original - Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam) to emphasize the importance of this matter (in Cato's case it was the Carthagian danger to Rome)...

...now I bored you with history,.. tongue.gif
dst
Sh!t, this is less than 24 hours away, I had not realized that! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif The greatest competition in the continent (besides Eurovision! tongue.gif ) starts again!! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.