Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FIFA to select World Cup hosts in October
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
Warchant
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) - FIFA will select the host nation for the 2014 men's and 2011 women's World Cup in October.

The executive committee will make its final choice for the two tournaments on Oct. 30, FIFA announced Friday. The candidates will have a final opportunity to present their bids to the committee on Oct. 29.

Brazil - the only candidate for the 2014 men's World Cup - must submit its bid package to FIFA by July 31.

Five countries - Australia, Canada, France, Germany and Peru - are bidding to host the sixth women's World Cup. Their associations must submit all necessary documents and guarantees by Oct. 15.                                                                                                                                                 

i believe the US is going to put in a bid for the mens WC as well
bigmacmtl
canada!!! it could work. ya our junior team was garbage but our senior team is no wrose than south africas. ANyways i wouldnt mind if it's in the states, that way it's within range.
Portman
A World Cup in US or Canada would be nice. But it seems we're gonna have Brazillian World Cup.
Warchant
QUOTE (Porty @ Jul 13 2007, 01:21 PM)
A World Cup in US or Canada would be nice. But it seems we're gonna have Brazillian World Cup.

that's what it's looking like

but i think that the US could be more attractive to FIFA. There is no need to build new stadiums and we still hold the highest attended World Cup ever (this was before it was expanded). and this was before soccer was "big" in the states.

Brazil, i think, only has 1 or 2 world cup quality stadiums.

especially after all the talk about it coming over here instead of South Africa due to their problems, i think we could at least be a front runner.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Porty @ Jul 13 2007, 06:21 PM)

With Canada having the U20s this year, and the US staging the main event very recently, I'm not sure it'll go there for a while. Especially with alot of bigger football nations not having hosted it for a while, not just England. tongue.gif

EDIT:
FIFA president Sepp Blatter stated on February 28, 2007 that the World Cup, "should be in North America in 2018 and there are three countries who could host it there—the United States, Mexico and Canada." This, however, depends upon decisions regarding the rotation of hosts.

In April, 2007 Blatter said "This would mean that the next World Cup after 2014 would go to Asia."

Well, it looks like the US has a big chance in 2018, not too far away! cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.