Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Match-Fixers Be Euro Champions?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
han2503
Will Match-Fixers Be Euro Champions?

"Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it." Not my words, but the magical message sung by pint-sized Irish crooner (and John Nicholson's secret favourite) Ronan Keating. By putting some of his life philosophy to a nice, gentle pop tune, the former Boyzone leader delivered a calming tonic to his listeners. Perhaps something similar wouldn't go amiss in Italy right now, as the last few days have been hectic and emotional - full of joy, sadness, shame and concern.

Tuesday night brought the first big downer when the popular, much-vaunted Roma were spanked at Old Trafford. The result went down very badly, and the newspapers were unsparing in their criticism of the Giallorossi, and there were even some tough words for coach Luciano Spalletti. Until this result, Spalletti had been rightly praised by the press for his miracles at the Stadio Olimpico. But even he couldn't walk from the Manchester carnage unscathed. Words like 'humiliation', 'nightmare' and 'disaster' were all thrown around and the football-following public were left in a genuine state of shock at the mauling handed out to Serie A's second-placed side.

But it didn't take long for the pride and smiles to return, thanks to those wily old campaigners AC Milan, who booked their semi-final place the following night. It is the Rossoneri's fourth semi in five years and the sports hacks were quick to salute the team and their knack of getting to Europe's fab four time and time again. Although it wasn't a surprise for Milan supremo Adriano Galliani, who called the Champions League 'our trophy'. A tad fanciful considering they have only won it once since 1995, but they certainly know their way around the qualifying rounds.

Indeed, the national pain from Totti and pals' defensive slapstick show on Tuesday was washed away completely as Ancelotti's team saw off a sterile Bayern with minimum fuss and looked solid at the back throughout. Alessandro Nesta didn't suffer any fresh fitness problems and the whole side looked compact and comfortable. Even Clarence Seedorf played well. And this being a country as superstitious as Italy, it hasn't been forgotten that the last time a final was played in Athens, AC Milan won it 4-0 against a clueless Barcelona.

The excitement and enthusiasm didn't last long though, because last week the prosecutors still investigating the match-fixing scandal released a new batch of suspect matches and a list of individuals under suspicion. The Naples-based investigation has been ongoing for a year and has put a new shadow over calcio. The usual names pop up naturally, including lovable Luciano Moggi and referee Massimo de Santis, but the club who could be in for a particularly difficult time and a truckload of explaining are Sicilian strugglers Messina.

They were very close to relegation last year but lived on to fight another day, but this time they are in deep trouble on and off the pitch. Looking at it from a dyslexic person's viewpoint, you could say Messina are in-a-mess. They risk trial for sporting fraud, and any kind of relegation would be a catastrophe. Staying serene for now, a publicly-defiant club director Pietro Franza said: "We have always operated with absolute legal transparency."

Obviously Juventus are once again involved, and their highly controversial and suspicious 0-0 draw with Milan in 2004 is one of the most notable fixtures in the list of games in doubt. Juve president, the dour Giovanni Cobolli Gigli, has stepped forward and tried to ease fans' fears. In a statement he said: "We have to make it clear that Calciopoli didn't start with Juventus. We've already paid the price for it."

However, it isn't for him, or any of the accused to decide what happens next. High-ranking Italian football official Francesco Saverio Borrelli now has all the dossiers, and the country is awaiting the outcome. But it has taken some of the shine off Milan's achievement, and brought the darker side of calcio back onto the front pages.

On a final note, there is bound to be a huge backlash from the rest of Europe if Milan, convicted and punished in last season's match-fixing scandal themselves, go on to win the Champions League in May. It will look very bad for UEFA indeed.
han2503
He does make a few good points, when overlooking some of the stupid things he said
whoarethepatriots
I hate how its referred to as match fixing even though no matches were ever fixed
kurtsimonw
UEFA won't care if Milan win it.

Just like the FA don't care when Man U win the FA Cup, whn they fix the draw for them. wink.gif
han2503
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Apr 17 2007, 05:29 PM)
I hate how its referred to as match fixing even though no matches were ever fixed

That just shows the stupidity of some people. Talking without actually knowing facts.

I was watching MUTV the other day, and they had this guy who played for them in the 60s talking.

When they moved on to the Semi final with us he was harping about how we shouldn't even be in the competition. If I could have called I would, but I think that if I did manage to get through they would have disconnected me after telling him what I was thinking when I heard him say such utter cr@p
dst
I won't even spend my time reading this, thank you! puke.gif
misha
They all can go to hell. It would be great to win CL and make a double blow:
1.They Lost
2.They lost to "Match-Fixers who shouldn't be there in the first place"
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mishale @ Apr 17 2007, 10:56 PM)
They all can go to hell. It would be great to win CL and make a double blow:
1.They Lost
2.They lost to "Match-Fixers who shouldn't be there in the first place"

I'm with u on this biggrin.gif Ur mentality is very intriguing, at times tongue.gif
milanista1899
Will Match-Fixers Be Euro Champions? NO! Because Milan didn't fix any matches!!!
misha
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 18 2007, 04:06 AM)
I'm with u on this biggrin.gif Ur mentality is very intriguing, at times tongue.gif

biggrin.gif Meaning?
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mishale @ Apr 18 2007, 02:36 PM)
biggrin.gif Meaning?

Just leave Sheva aside and we are comrades biggrin.gif tongue.gif
misha
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 18 2007, 03:01 PM)
Just leave Sheva aside and we are comrades biggrin.gif  tongue.gif

Sheva for life cool.gif biggrin.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mishale @ Apr 18 2007, 03:07 PM)
Sheva for life cool.gif  biggrin.gif

Homer rulzzz ! sleep.gif
dst
I would appreciate it if you did not keep this thread alive, it really disgusts me.
Jack Sparrow
All those who want to be appreciated by Nesta's b!tch raise their hand!!

Nada.....tongue.gif
milanista1899
QUOTE (mishale @ Apr 18 2007, 01:07 PM)
Sheva for life cool.gif  biggrin.gif

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! realmad.gif puke.gif mad.gif
Rossoneri7
Just keep it alive biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 19 2007, 02:47 AM)
Just keep it alive  biggrin.gif

Hello everybody
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2007, 05:52 PM)
Hello everybody

So what's up ?
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 19 2007, 03:44 PM)
So what's up ?

I'm fine. You?
dst
sleep.gif ( realmad.gif )

... you b!tches!! biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 19 2007, 08:57 PM)
sleep.gif  ( realmad.gif )
... you b!tches!!  biggrin.gif

So how are you dst? biggrin.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2007, 10:26 PM)
I'm fine. You?

I'm fine thanks for asking ... So how's the beach this summer (in Malta ..) ??

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 19 2007, 11:57 PM)
sleep.gif  ( realmad.gif )
... you b!tches!!  biggrin.gif

Now now .. Be nice Nesta's B1tch ... biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 20 2007, 05:53 PM)
I'm fine thanks for asking ... So how's the beach this summer (in Malta ..) ??

Oh it's great, very hot and sunny over here. Really nice weather, how about you?

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 20 2007, 05:53 PM)
Now now .. Be nice Nesta's B1tch ...  biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 20 2007, 09:02 PM)
Oh it's great, very hot and sunny over here. Really nice weather, how about you?

Rust storms these past two weeks were on and off, guessing Iran is up to some mischief rolleyes.gif , other than that the beach was alright today biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 20 2007, 06:21 PM)
Rust storms these past two weeks were on and off, guessing Iran is up to some mischief rolleyes.gif , other than that the beach was alright today  biggrin.gif

Well that good, about the beach that is. What did you eat today? biggrin.gif

btw, this is good, let's keep the thread up for Nesta's_b!tch. I'm sure he'l like it biggrin.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 20 2007, 09:27 PM)
Well that good, about the beach that is. What did you eat today?  biggrin.gif

btw, this is good, let's keep the thread up for Nesta's_b!tch. I'm sure he'l like it  biggrin.gif

Ohhh .. That's teh best part of my day, what I ate I mean biggrin.gif

We had a barbecue, the best u've ever tasted ..

Ooh yeah, and maybe he'll change his nick to Nesta'_b!tch, so when Milan go to Athena, Nesta wont be all alone that night laugh.gif
dst
You p_ssies!!

Lock this thread down!!!!!!!!!!!!!
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Apr 20 2007, 06:32 PM)
Ohhh .. That's teh best part of my day, what I ate I mean biggrin.gif

We had a barbecue, the best u've ever tasted ..
Ooh yeah, and maybe he'll change his nick to Nesta'_b!tch, so when Milan go to Athena, Nesta wont be all alone that night laugh.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Nice about the bbq, I haven't had one in months.

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 20 2007, 06:33 PM)
You p_ssies!!

Lock this thread down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aww. We're making him cry.

You think we should stop this R7?
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 20 2007, 09:37 PM)
You think we should stop this R7?

Maybe ... If he's nice biggrin.gif tongue.gif
Rossoneri7
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.