Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Italy top World Rankings!
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
arivanjj
Italy have jumped over Brazil to lead the FIFA World Rankings for the first time since November 1993.

The Azzurri have brought the Selecao’s 55-month run as leaders to an end after the South American nation lost 2-0 to Portugal last week.

The World Cup winners were scheduled to play a friendly with Romania seven days ago, but the match was cancelled after rioting fans in Catania killed a policeman following a Serie A match.

There are no other changes in the top five with Argentina, France and Germany all trailing Brazil in second. Spain have returned to the top 10 for the first time since October last year.

The next FIFA World Rankings will be published on March 14, 2007.

Top 10
1 (2) Italy – 1,562 points
2 (1) Brazil – 1,540
3 (3) Argentina – 1,535
4 (4) France – 1,496
5 (5) Germany – 1,359
6 (6) England – 1,330
7 (7) Netherlands – 1,312
8 (9) Portugal – 1,262
9 (10) Czech Republic – 1,193
10 (12) Spain – 1,161
dst
FIFA crap!
Portman
So... thanks to Portugal, Italy is the #1. cool.gif

Ingurland and Netherlands above Portugal? What a joke FIFA is. rolleyes.gif
Locke Lamora
Seriously, this isn't fair!
I mean, Italy is a very good team with a lot of great players, but the best?
No way.
Warchant
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 10:41 AM)
No way.

well, they won the World Cup and no one has proved themselves any better

they're defense is by far the best in the world
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Warchant @ Feb 14 2007, 06:42 PM)
well, they won the World Cup and no one has proved themselves any better

they're defense is by far the best in the world

yes I think they should be recognized for what they contribute to football king.gif
Locke Lamora
Honestly, what teams did they face on their way to the final?
Australia, Ukraine and Germany?

France saw off Brazil, Spain and Portugal, and Materazzis goal in the final came from a corner that Pirlo bent over the line.
And France was cheated for a penalty.

Besides, France's golden generation (Zidane, Thuram, Vieira, Trezeguet and Bartez) deserved to finish by winning the World Cup.

Still, Italy has some of the worlds greatest players, I'm very happy for Del Piero, Maldini, Nesta, Buffon and Toni.
han2503
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 04:22 PM)
Honestly, what teams did they face on their way to the final?
Australia, Ukraine and Germany?

France saw off Brazil, Spain and Portugal, and Materazzis goal in the final came from a corner that Pirlo bent over the line.
And France was cheated for a penalty.

Besides, France's golden generation (Zidane, Thuram, Vieira, Trezeguet and Bartez) deserved to finish by winning the World Cup.

Still, Italy has some of the worlds greatest players, I'm very happy for Del Piero, Maldini, Nesta, Buffon and Toni.

France deserved a penalty??

Malouda dived to get the first non-existant one!! So I can't see how they deserved the penalty.

Italy had the best defence and was probably the best team throughout the tournament aside from the hick-up they had against the US.

France didn't even deserve to go through to the knock-outs by the way they played in the group stages.

Besides they only got through to the final because of a Henry dive against Portugal and Roberto Carlos being too busy tieing his shoe laces instead of marking Henry.

Not to mention the Henry dive against Spain that lead to Frances goal.

And above all this their supposed symbol commits a disgraceful act when his team need him the most.

Italy deserved to win that world cup because they where the best
dst
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 06:22 PM)

Oh so France did that?? Then again they lost...

And I thought Malouda dived to get the penalty for France beforehand... rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 06:22 PM)

what does that supposed to mean?? Didn't Bergkamp deserve to get at least a CL!?? Oh, so let's hand him one. Please... rolleyes.gif

Maldini also deserved a lot... but he lost to France in the Euro 2000 Final when Italy had played much better. Last year, it was the other way round... get over it.
Locke Lamora
Materazzi has managed to get himself headbutted 2 times in 6 months.
Incidental?

Besides, considering Portugal, first Carvalho tries to kick his knee, then hooks his foot.
That was an obvious penalty, and besides, how many times hvew we not seen Del Piero and Totti lie crying on the grass, only to get up and start running again like as if nothing happened?
han2503
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 04:35 PM)
Materazzi has managed to get himself headbutted 2 times in 6 months.
Incidental?

Besides, considering Portugal, first Carvalho tries to kick his knee, then hooks his foot.
That was an obvious penalty, and besides, how many times hvew we not seen Del Piero and Totti lie crying on the grass, only to get up and start running again like as if nothing happened?

No one said that Matrix isn't a son of a b!tch. But a professional like Zidane is should be able to control his actions, no matter what is said to him.

Henry dives like no one else! He and C.Ronaldo are on par with eachother. He dives for a penalty at least twice in every game he plays in, wether it's a WC final's game, an EPL game or a CL game.

Malouda's dive in the final was just disgusting to see.

Yes Del Piro also dives aa lot but nothing like Henry
dst
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 06:35 PM)
Incidental?

No. Materazzi is an @ss... so the World Cup should be given to France cause their captain "dispensed justice" or something??
Jack Sparrow
Let's compromise. The WC should be given to Togo, coz they had the best goal celebration. That seems to make as much rationale, as any of the reasons the other teams had.

When it comes to a knockout tourno, it's pointless and stupid to come up with what ifs.

What if Grosso hadn't dived, couldn't Australia have gone on to the Finals???!!!

What if Ivory Coast were in a different group, couldn't they have gone ahead. Coz to tell you the truth, the way Ivory Coast were playing and the way France played in the group stages, if they were in the same group, it would have been bye bye France. Fortunately Zidane woke up.

In fact the best reason, why Italy deserved it would be, they were the best at playing as a team. Look at their goal stats.
Locke Lamora
Considering what Materazzi said to him, I'm suprised Zidane didn't headbutt him in the face instead of the chest.

I have yet to see Henry fall in the penalty area without getting back on his feet to keep playing unless he really is fouled.
Del Piero keeps lying only until he knows he is getting a penalty/free kick.
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 14 2007, 06:50 PM)
In fact the best reason, why Italy deserved it would be, they were the best at playing as a team. Look at their goal stats.

Italy was the best team while France had the best individual... but neither him can defeat time.
han2503
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 04:51 PM)
Considering what Materazzi said to him, I'm suprised Zidane didn't headbutt him in the face instead of the chest.

I have yet to see Henry fall in the penalty area without getting back on his feet to keep playing unless he really is fouled.

If you just watch an EPL match that envolves Arsenal you can see what I mean. Henry is a diver.

What Del Piero does doesn't come into this. Everyone knows that he is a diver. But did he dive to get Italy to the next stage of the competition?

QUOTE (dst)
Italy was the best team while France had the best individual... but neither him can defeat time.

Very true.

And last time I checked football was a team sport. This isn't tennis rolleyes.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (han2503 @ Feb 14 2007, 05:59 PM)
If you just watch an EPL match that envolves Arsenal you can see what I mean. Henry is a diver.

What Del Piero does doesn't come into this. Everyone knows that he is a diver. But did he dive to get Italy to the next stage of the competition?

QUOTE (dst)

Very true.

And last time I checked football was a team sport. This isn't tennis rolleyes.gif

Diver or not? Does it really matter? Italy won the WC. Everything else is worthless in the end. Maybe they were lucky against the Aussies, but against Ukraine, they were obviously the better team....And a squad that beats Germany (yes...they deserved to win sad.gif ) in their own country in a stadium with 70.000 germans supporting their side really deserves to win the WC!
dst
Oh, France also had the best defense, cold numbers aside!
han2503
QUOTE (La Palma)
Diver or not? Does it really matter? Italy won the WC. Everything else is worthless in the end. Maybe they were lucky against the Aussies, but against Ukraine, they were obviously the better team....And a squad that beats Germany (yes...they deserved to win sad.gif ) in their own country in a stadium with 70.000 germans supporting their side really deserves to win the WC!

Exactly.
Locke Lamora
And which match was that?

No, Italy didn't do much diving during the World Cup, they altered their speciality a little bit, which was clearly shown during the match versus USA.

Just kidding.

Yes, they did well against Ukraine, but still...Ukraine is a team you really expect to beat when you're ranked as one of the top 10.
And you knew from the start that Germany weren't going to beat Italy.

I never said Italy isn't a very good team, for they are a very good team, I just say I really wished France had won.
han2503
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 05:04 PM)
And which match was that?

No, Italy didn't do much diving during the World Cup, they altered their speciality a little bit, which was clearly shown during the match versus USA.

Just kidding.

Trust a Roma boy to lose his head rolleyes.gif

But aside from that game (which I already mentioned) Italy where the best team in the tournament
dst
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Feb 14 2007, 07:03 PM)

Wow!! That's mannish, you are worth your clappers!! I admire you... king.gif

(hope Jack is not around to read this... unsure.gif )
dst
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 07:04 PM)
I never said Italy isn't a very good team, for they are a very good team, I just say I really wished France had won.

Yes but in the end of the day, Italy won so why don't they deserve to be in first place!?? huh.gif
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 14 2007, 06:07 PM)
Wow!! That's mannish, you are worth your clappers!! I admire you...  king.gif

(hope Jack is not around to read this...  unsure.gif )

It's the sad truth....our team wasn't ready to face a team like Italy. It was close, but in the end Gigi and Cannavaro made the difference. Gigis safe in the first half of the extra time against Schneider was awesome, not to mention Canna giving Klose not any chance. We would have surely won a PK shootout....but u know...sometimes the better team wins... (still hurts though....just one more minute...)
Locke Lamora
Because France knocked out better teams and played better football.
dst
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 07:18 PM)

Winning the final still matters more... better football?? No, definitely not. They only were better in the final... but as I already said so was Italy in the Euro 2000 final. Football jsut like life ain't fair, but that's where it's beauty springs from...
Locke Lamora
I don't say I'm right and you are wrong, its just my opinion.
dst
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 07:37 PM)
I don't say I'm right and you are wrong, its just my opinion.

Accepted...
agenth
it's all with points, and in general... so Italy are currently #1....
milanistar
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 05:18 PM)

Saying that is like saying the way WC is made is a b/s, if all the team should play each others then we'll have a league not a cup wink.gif

France played one very good game and it was against Brazil, the rest was just ... ugly! ( and I'm being gentle laugh.gif) against Italy they could hae won if they had someone like Lippi in the bench rolleyes.gif
France lost because of Domenech no ZZ wink.gif

Back to the topic, this fifa ranking means nothing to me just like every single thing they do (same with uefa)!
Warchant
regardless of who Italy played...they allowed 0 goals scored (besides an own goal and a penalty).

i don't care you who you play, when your defense and goalie are good enough to pull of something like that, you deserve the #1 spot. Italy beat a good Czech team, tied a good US team out of form, and beat a suprising Ghana team

they also beat a really good Aussie team that was better than a lot of people had given them credit for, they beat Ukraine...who may not have been the best in the world...but they shut down Sheva, completely. they beat Germany IN Germany...probably the hardest thing to do in the entire tournament, and then they went out and beat France.

I'm sorry, but that's a good enough resume for me to them be put in the #1 spot
GULLIVER
at last some good news from FIFA. I was expacting this since 2000
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 10:41 AM)
No way.

they won the world cup, what more do you want? ya true they lost ot france after but there was many changes in the squad, new coach, players retiring, new players coming in, french players had over a month of fitness ahead of the italian players...
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Warchant @ Feb 14 2007, 04:42 PM)
regardless of who Italy played...they allowed 0 goals scored (besides an own goal and a penalty).

i don't care you who you play, when your defense and goalie are good enough to pull of something like that, you deserve the #1 spot. Italy beat a good Czech team, tied a good US team out of form, and beat a suprising Ghana team

they also beat a really good Aussie team that was better than a lot of people had given them credit for, they beat Ukraine...who may not have been the best in the world...but they shut down Sheva, completely. they beat Germany IN Germany...probably the hardest thing to do in the entire tournament, and then they went out and beat France.

I'm sorry, but that's a good enough resume for me to them be put in the #1 spot

one thing i say about the US, is the big tournements and games dont phase the players and they really held their own.
bigmacmtl
[QUOTE]Very true.

[/quote]
Diver or not? Does it really matter? Italy won the WC. Everything else is worthless in the end. Maybe they were lucky against the Aussies, but against Ukraine, they were obviously the better team....And a squad that beats Germany (yes...they deserved to win sad.gif ) in their own country in a stadium with 70.000 germans supporting their side really deserves to win the WC![/QUOTE]

i must ur a good sport about losing and thats good. but when it cam to asutralia, italy was in full control until materazzi got that "red"(which we all know was garbage), so australia was lucky enough to play half of the game with a man up (and they barely created one chance). then grosso's penalty...but watch this replay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2PgG8j0gyQ

You can see neils left arm clips grossos left foot, and his right arm clips grosso right foot. you can see it's more a matter of grosso hitting neil, well that heppens because of neils reckless dive in front of him.
arivanjj
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Feb 15 2007, 09:16 AM)
Maybe they were lucky against the Aussies

sad.gif .. yes they were lucky.. i mean Australia were a very physical side.. and the game could've gone either way had it gone to extra-time,

but i do believe that it was the right call on the penalty.. it wasn't the honrable thing to do by Grosso, but he decided to run into Neil and make it a proffesional foul.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Feb 15 2007, 01:50 AM)
sad.gif .. yes they were lucky.. i mean Australia were a very physical side.. and the game could've gone either way had it gone to extra-time,

but i do believe that it was the right call on the penalty.. it wasn't the honrable thing to do by Grosso, but he decided to run into Neil and make it a proffesional foul.

I think Australia would have knocked out Brasil; cuz they were so organized .. Plus the coach was one of the best king.gif I was really impressed
Rossoneri7
Lippi on top of the world

World Cup winning Coach Marcello Lippi has spoken of his pride at Italy topping the FIFA Rankings for the first time in 14 years.

“I am obviously satisfied with this achievement that was prompted by the World Cup victory and probably also Brazil’s recent defeat to Portugal,” said the tactician.

The Azzurri leapfrogged past the Selecao in the standings this month despite a stuttering reign under new Coach Roberto Donadoni, who took over following Lippi’s resignation.

“We are once again leading the world and that is certainly a very important recognition for our football. All of us have reason to be extremely proud.”

Italy had not topped the FIFA World Rankings since November 1993, ending Brazil’s 55-month stint in first place.

Ex-Fiorentina star Carlos Dunga’s Selecao lost 2-0 to Portugal in a friendly in London last week

Football Italia
dst
QUOTE (milanistar @ Feb 14 2007, 11:00 PM)
France lost because of Domenech no ZZ wink.gif

What could have Domenech done, take a penalty instead of Trezeguet!?? rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (milanistar @ Feb 14 2007, 11:00 PM)
Back to the topic, this fifa ranking means nothing to me just like every single thing they do (same with uefa)!

Well if it's FIFA it's definitely crap but when Coca-Cola gets in the way too, you know it's just... rolleyes.gif
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 14 2007, 12:18 PM)

ur telling me 1-0 (pen against portugal) and (1-0 against brazil) is better football? they struggled to get a single win in the groupe stage, in the end the only convincing performance was against spain ( and spain had they're chances of winning it) and the way the shut down a mediocre brazil. Italy beat the aficain team that performed the best at the world cup (ghana), a tricky game vs. australia, 3-0 against ukraine (ukraine had a couple of good chances but besides that italy owned this game start to finish and the scoreline could of been worse, plus they shut down sehva), and of course beat the hottest team at the world cup and the hosts germany which was a great accomplishment. like come on one of italy's easier games was against the czechs (who even tho disappointed, they were ranked 2nd overall and had a very good team). france had plenty of easy games as far as the world cup goes vs. korea, the swiss and togo and they almost fell at the group stage! dont tell me france was better, italy scored more and conceded less goals.
bigmacmtl

I just have to laugh at this. i've never liked and never will like materazzi. but the media and many italy haters were just waiting for something like this to happen. the next day i herd about 3 conflicting reports about what matrix said. why is that? because the media is BS and they wanted materazzi words to be racist because they just couldnt accept the fact that france lost. In the end were materazzis word so terrible? no they werent but they surely were mean. zidane was being a pompus **** like he usually does ( he was implying that they were gonna win and italy was gonna lose about the whole giveing his jersey to him after the game comment) and matrix being the **** he is he responded in kind. Now if according to you what materazzi said is so terrible, then that means u've never insulted someone? or their family because you hated them or they were pissing you off? ya i dont need an answer because we all know the answer, so plz dont make those commments because it sounds hypocritical. That said, zidane is known for violence so it doesnt take much to piss him off. Even before the game started me and my brother noticed zidane and matrix talking Shi!t to each other while coming out of the tunnel so i'm sure zidane isnt the innocent sugar princess everyone likes to think he is, especially when there so quick to juge matrix. In the end a truly classy player like maldini, or billy van basten, ya would not have gone on a lil "coupable". rant: "le vrai coupable est l'instigateur..blah blah blah", normally when someone has to make these sorta comments it's either.
A) their childish
B)Are insecure and have something to hide and need everyones support

You say matrix deserved it in the face, well then that means when zidane made that comment about italy losing then wouldnt that mean that metrazzi should have acted with violence?(maybe not a heabutt because it wasnt a big insult) because you are condoning violence. I would love to see what ur comment would be right now if that was the case. Zidane was a d!ck, materazzi returned the favor and was a d!ck, z!dane reponsded by a violent ****, case closed.

First off i dont how del piero comes into this cuz he barely played and he dint dive to give two free kicks that lead to goals like henry did. I dont see how getting up or lying after a dive changes anything because a dive is a dive.
misha
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Feb 14 2007, 01:31 PM)
Top 10
2 (1) Brazil – 1,540
3 (3) Argentina – 1,535
4 (4) France – 1,496
5 (5) Germany – 1,359
6 (6) England – 1,330
8 (9) Portugal – 1,262
10 (12) Spain – 1,161

11 (13) Ukraine wub.gif
milanistar
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 15 2007, 02:42 AM)
What could have Domenech done, take a penalty instead of Trezeguet!??  rolleyes.gif

He should have put Trez in for Vieira wink.gif
The Italian were half the way down in the 2nd half and he did nothing to win that game as usual he waited for something special from his players rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Feb 15 2007, 05:07 AM)
I just have to laugh at this. i've never liked and never will like materazzi. but the media and many italy haters were just waiting for something like this to happen. the next day i herd about 3 conflicting reports about what matrix said. why is that? because the media is BS and they wanted materazzi words to be racist because they just couldnt accept the fact that france lost. In the end were materazzis word so terrible? no they werent but they surely were mean. zidane was being a pompus **** like he usually does ( he was implying that they were gonna win and italy was gonna lose about the whole giveing his jersey to him after the game comment) and matrix being the **** he is he responded in kind. Now if according to you what materazzi said is so terrible, then that means u've never insulted someone? or their family because you hated them or they were pissing you off? ya i dont need an answer because we all know the answer, so plz dont make those commments because it sounds hypocritical. That said, zidane is known for violence so it doesnt take much to piss him off. Even before the game started me and my brother noticed zidane and matrix talking Shi!t to each other while coming out of the tunnel so i'm sure zidane isnt the innocent sugar princess everyone likes to think he is, especially when there so quick to juge matrix. In the end a truly classy player like maldini, or billy van basten, ya would not have gone on a lil "coupable". rant: "le vrai coupable est l'instigateur..blah blah blah", normally when someone has to make these sorta comments it's either.
A) their childish
B)Are insecure and have something to hide and need everyones support

You say matrix deserved it in the face, well then that means when zidane made that comment about italy losing then wouldnt that mean that metrazzi should have acted with violence?(maybe not a heabutt because it wasnt a big insult) because you are condoning violence. I would love to see what ur comment would be right now if that was the case. Zidane was a d!ck, materazzi returned the favor and was a d!ck, z!dane reponsded by a violent ****, case closed.

Well, I'm going to try to change your mind on ZZ nor talk about how some media turned all the story to whatever they wanted but there one or two things I have to say tongue.gif

First off all ZZ was never violent he just had a bad reactions some kind of "warm blood"!
Secondly, ZZ said that "le vrai coupable est l'instigateur" cause he wanted to justfy him self to half of the French who still think that France lost becase of him rolleyes.gif
Thirdly, what's about that comment (about Italy losing) ZZ made, have you ever seen someone who's going to fight for some thing saying that he has no chance?!!
Finally, yes merdarazzi deserved the head-butt in his face tongue.gif

All in all, some of us have some pride when it comes to familly and react badly to some comments/insults involving them, as a professional ZZ should have never done what he did, but comsidering all the pressure he was under and the historical achievement (beeing the equal Pele) I somehow understand him and support his action, I would have done the same but hit somewhere else tongue.gif
Locke Lamora
I can agree with you Italians in one thing, you had the best coach by far.
florenti1
Top 10
2 (1) Brazil – 1,540
3 (3) Argentina – 1,535
4 (4) France – 1,496
5 (5) Germany – 1,359
6 (6) England – 1,330
8 (9) Portugal – 1,262
10 (12) Spain – 1,161

Finally

Justice has been made

This is the first time when this rank is correct especially the first 5 places
I never understand how England and Spain are still in top 10
probable it's the name that count
dst
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Feb 17 2007, 03:14 PM)
I can agree with you Italians in one thing, you had the best coach by far.

But most of us don't think so! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.