Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World's Wealthiest Clubs by Revenue (Delloite/Season 05-06)
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
Portman
Real, Barca & Juve Ahead Of United In Wealth League - Temporarily 

Manchester United have slipped from second place to fourth in Deloitte's list of the world's wealthiest football clubs, behind Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus. But they are expect to climb the table this year - and English Premiership clubs could soon account for half of the Top Twenty.

Manchester United were the champions of Deloitte's Football Money League for eight straight seasons until Real Madrid dethroned them last year.

But English clubs still occupy eight of the top 20 spots in Deloitte's latest table, which is based on revenues generated during 2005-06.

And United remain the world's most profitable club, having made a £49.7 million profit in the year to June 2006.

Deloitte's figures take account of income from ticket sales, merchandising and broadcasting contracts. But they exclude transfer revenues and do not calculate profitability.

The world's top 20 clubs generated combined sales of more than £2.1 billion in 2005-06.

Real Madrid retained the title of world's wealthiest club, in terms of sales, despite failing to land a trophy on the pitch for the year running. Real's revenues increased to £202 million from £186.2 million in 2004-05.

Barcelona overtook United to go second, helped by their success in the Champions League final, while Juventus moved up one place into third.

United dropped to fourth even though its revenues rose from £166.4 million to £167.8 million.

However, Deloitte's Paul Rawnsley said he expected United's drop down the table to be only temporary:

"Manchester United may be in fourth position this year but with the completion of their stadium development we can expect them to move back up the list in 2006-07."

Chelsea slipped down one place to sixth despite having increased their revenues to £152.8 million.

Arsenal, boosted by reaching the Champions League final, rose one place to ninth.

Other British clubs who made it into the top 20 were Liverpool (10th), Newcastle United (13th), Tottenham Hotspur (15th), Manchester City (17th), Rangers (18th) and West Ham United (19th).

And given that a lucrative new TV contract comes into effect next year, Deloitte believes that Premiership clubs could account for more than half of the list by 2007-08.

But they added that the two Spanish giants may prove har to dislodge from the top two positions.

"The two clubs have had contrasting strategies, with Real focusing on driving commercial revenue from recruiting its 'galactico' players, and Barcelona having a more balanced revenue portfolio," said Dan Jones, a partner in Deloitte's Sports Business Group.

WORLD'S WEALTHIEST CLUBS BY REVENUE

1) Real Madrid: £202m    (Spain)
2) Barcelona: £179.1m    (Spain)
3) Juventus: £173.7m    (Italy)
4) Manchester United: £167.8m    (England)
5) AC Milan: £165m    (Italy)
6) Chelsea: £152.8m    (England)
7) Inter Milan: £142.8m    (Italy)
8) Bayern Munich: £141.5m    (Germany)
9) Arsenal: £133m    (England)
10) Liverpool: £121.7m    (England)

Source: Deloitte: 2005-06

We're in top 5. Any comments?
Juventus will drop a lot of positions next year, for sure.
Warchant
barcelona is there because of ronladinho...the CL helped, but ronaldinho makes them a lot of money

i agree that man u will jump back up after this season

i'm actually surprised we made it into the top 5...i guess it's because we've been so cheap tongue.gif
Jack Sparrow
I'm not sure revenues have a lot to do with expenses. But I think the bulk of the cash we make is coz of the TV rights.

Next year, I think we might see an upward swing because of Ronaldo and Kaka. Right now Kaka is hugely popular. He is the footballer's favourite, while Ronaldinho is the media's favourite.

I think Milan would do a lot better if they put profitability into the equation.
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 8 2007, 08:18 PM)
I'm not sure revenues have a lot to do with expenses. But I think the bulk of the cash we make is coz of the TV rights.

Next year, I think we might see an upward swing because of Ronaldo and Kaka. Right now Kaka is hugely popular. He is the footballer's favourite, while Ronaldinho is the media's favourite.

I think Milan would do a lot better if they put profitability into the equation.

Milan have always been good in the marketing aspect, Silvio INVENTED the marketing game in football.

Kaka has his own special clothes and accesories line and I wouldn't be surprised to see one for R9 next season
Rossoneri7
So Juve .. A Serie B made more profit huh biggrin.gif

Well Milan did good .. It's important we r in the top tier .. Cuz this is a top club after-all
milanista1899
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 8 2007, 09:51 PM)
So Juve .. A Serie B made more profit huh  biggrin.gif

Well Milan did good .. It's important we r in the top tier .. Cuz this is a top club after-all

Yea, I thought this was strange ohmy.gif until I realized it's all about last season laugh.gif

Yep, couldn't agree more wink.gif
Portman
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 8 2007, 09:51 PM)
So Juve .. A Serie B made more profit huh  biggrin.gif

coff coff 2005-06 coff
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 8 2007, 08:18 PM)

Yeah I THINK revenue is down to how you have been selling and doesn't take into account expenses, although I maybe wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.