Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you get coaching job without professional career?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
Bluesummers
Sorry for basic title, but here is my question. Is it possible to become a coach or manager in a football club in europe or in usa(mls), without having played a professional career. I know there is coaching schools and such but i want to one day if i get lucky and maybe a little help from above get a job at milan as a coach. I'm going to university soon and going to be enrolled in coaching related classes. Just wondering if it is possible at all to attain that kind of job? thanks unsure.gif
bigmacmtl
i'm pretty sure you have to play on a professional level before coaching. You dont have to play in a top league but you need on field experience. I mean the first and most important thing you need as a coach is respect from ur players, and it's hard to have that unless you've been in their shoes or in similar situations. That and you need to know the game inside out and you can only do that when you've played at a high level. Unless ur some genius dude then maybe.
dst
Jose Mourinho never played at a pro level!!

I think it is possible pal... if only you really want it and try hard. But while football career is not essential other stuff is... all them coaches are influential people, you feel their hold when they're talking... it's not an easy job man but... good luck!! smile.gif
Rossoneri7
Arsene Wenger has a bachelors in Accounting .. And though he has never won a major trophy ( other than the EPL..) he is one of the best out there.

So there is a chance .. if u'v got the brains and the wit to withstand humility .. Then good luck bro smile.gif
milanista1899
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 5 2007, 10:02 AM)
Jose Mourinho never played at a pro level!!

I think it is possible pal... if only you really want it and try hard. But while football career is not essential other stuff is... all them coaches are influential people, you feel their hold when they're talking... it's not an easy job man but... good luck!!  smile.gif

laugh.gif I was just about to say that but then I saw your post tongue.gif

I thought briefly about doing what you're gonna do Bluesummers, but decided I wouldn't be able to handle it (you only have to read what some of us say about Ancelotti laugh.gif ) But I hope that doesn't stop you and best of luck with Coaching, maybe some day it'll be you we all curse at on the Milan bench? unsure.gif laugh.gif
Jack Sparrow
Curse?? No way. Bluesummers will be our puppet. He'll do what we say. He better! devil.gif

But on the topic, I think a similar topic did come up in the past and I had posted a link from BBC that gave some pretty comprehensive info.

I'm too lazy to dig it up again. BlueS I think you ought to google it.

Sorry, but hey I'm too lazy to look up acmilan.com, what did you expect?
agenth
It is possible.
I know someone who tries his luck at....Chelski wink.gif
Anyway you can apply for internship/or like that, at small clubs and then work your way up.
Bluesummers
Thanks guys. I"ll try my best! Milan is a dream, MLS is more realistic but who knows, anything can happen.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Feb 7 2007, 05:42 AM)
Thanks guys.  I"ll try my best!  Milan is a dream, MLS is more realistic but who knows, anything can happen.

When you say coach I guess you mean the main guy, the manager, Ancelotti, Mourinho etc. Now we've gone through the fact that Mourinho didn't play but he still worked his way up like any job, you don't just walk into it.

You have to be brilliant at the first jobs you get given whatever that maybe, training coach, scout or something even at a low division club maybe amateur to get experience.

Now from what I hear from the managers in this country is yes the badges are important, but they mean nothing to the actual doing the job day in, day out.

I do wish you good luck, but I think being a manager is harder to grab than becoming a professional footballer sad.gif
milanistar
QUOTE (Kaka Is Brilliant @ Feb 7 2007, 03:19 PM)
When you say coach I guess you mean the main guy, the manager, Ancelotti, Mourinho etc. Now we've gone through the fact that Mourinho didn't play but he still worked his way up like any job, you don't just walk into it.

You have to be brilliant at the first jobs you get given whatever that maybe, training coach, scout or something even at a low division club maybe amateur to get experience.

Now from what I hear from the managers in this country is yes the badges are important, but they mean nothing to the actual doing the job day in, day out.

I do wish you good luck, but I think being a manager is harder to grab than becoming a professional footballer  sad.gif

I dont think Carlo is a "manager" he's just the coach, but I'm not sure of it unsure.gif
The only manager I know in France is G.Houllier, and I always thought the manager concept is related to England only, though, I might be wrong!
dst
QUOTE (milanistar @ Feb 7 2007, 06:40 PM)
I dont think Carlo is a "manager" he's just the coach, but I'm not sure of it unsure.gif
The only manager I know in France is G.Houllier, and I always thought the manager concept is related to England only, though, I might be wrong!

You're not wrong. Only in England there are managers... everywhere else the owner makes the rules.

Have you watched 'Mean Machine' with Vinnie Jones!?? Well it's a movie about jail and football... anyway there's a scene where a decision needs to be taken about a substitution. Here's the script:

- Who's in charge here?
- On you go.

- l'm in charge. Danny's coming on.
- Hold it!

- Listen, l'm the owner.
- You?

- Yes.
- The owner?

- Yes.
- Behave. Manager's decision. You, on.

Ref's lines are in bold... biggrin.gif That's what I like about football in the UK.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (milanistar @ Feb 7 2007, 04:40 PM)

Yeah it does, I was relating to what we call the 'manager', that's why I said I guess you mean...
milanistar
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 7 2007, 05:25 PM)
You're not wrong. Only in England there are managers... everywhere else the owner makes the rules.

Have you watched 'Mean Machine' with Vinnie Jones!?? Well it's a movie about jail and football... anyway there's a scene where a decision needs to be taken about a substitution. Here's the script:

- Who's in charge here?
- On you go.

- l'm in charge. Danny's coming on.
- Hold it!

- Listen, l'm the owner.
- You?

- Yes.
- The owner?

- Yes.
- Behave. Manager's decision. You, on.

Ref's lines are in bold...  biggrin.gif That's what I like about football in the UK.

I didn't watch the movie but it seems to be a great one laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.