Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CL Knockout Stage Draw
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
Warchant
Rules for assigning teams:
Teams from same federation cannot play each other.
Teams from same group cannot play each other.
Group winners must play group runner-ups.
Round of 16 Draw: Friday, December 15.

Chelsea - Winner Group A
Possible Opponents
Inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven, AS Roma, Real Madrid, Celtic, Porto, Lille

Barcelona - Runner-up Group A
Possible Opponents
Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Lyon, Manchester Utd., Arsenal, AC Milan

Bayern Munich - Winner Group B
Possible Opponents
Barcelona, PSV Eindhoven, AS Roma, Real Madrid, Celtic, Porto, Lille

Inter Milan - Runner-up Group B
Possible OpponentsChelsea, Liverpool, Valencia, Lyon, Manchester Utd., Arsenal

Liverpool - Winner Group C
Possible Opponents
Inter Milan, Barcelona, AS Roma, Real Madrid, Celtic, Porto, Lille

PSV Eindhoven - Runner-up Group C
Possible Opponents
Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lyon, Manchester Utd., Arsenal, AC Milan

Valencia - Winner Group D
Possible Opponents
Inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven, Celtic, Porto, Lille

AS Roma - Runner-up Group D
Possible Opponents
Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Lyon, Manchester Utd., Arsenal

Lyon - Winner Group E
Possible Opponents
Inter Milan, Barcelona, PSV Eindhoven, AS Roma, Celtic, Porto

Real Madrid - Runner-up Group E
Possible Opponents
Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Manchester Utd., Arsenal, AC Milan

Manchester Utd. - Winner Group F
Possible Opponents
Inter Milan, Barcelona, PSV Eindhoven, AS Roma, Real Madrid, Porto, Lille

Celtic - Runner-up Group F
Possible Opponents
Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Valencia, Lyon, Arsenal, AC Milan

Arsenal - Winner Group G
Possible Opponents
Inter Milan, Barcelona, PSV Eindhoven, AS Roma, Real Madrid, Celtic, Lille

Porto - Runner-up Group G
Possible Opponents
Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Valencia, Lyon, Manchester Utd., AC Milan

AC Milan - Winner Group H
Possible Opponents
Barcelona, PSV Eindhoven, Real Madrid, Celtic, Porto

Lille - Runner-up Group H
Possible Opponents
Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Valencia, Manchester Utd., Arsenal
Warchant
That's the hope of many clubs in Friday's draw for the last 16 of the Champions League.

The field includes multiple European Champions such as Real Madrid (nine), AC Milan (six), Liverpool (five) and Bayern Munich (four).

But the team they most want to stay away from is the defending champion, Barcelona, which has only won the competition twice.

Frank Rijkaard's team, which also won the European Cup in 1992 before it became known as the Champions League, leads the Spanish league standings and is a big favorite to win the domestic title for a third season in a row.

"We played Barcelona last season and they have to be the most feared of the last 16, even if we also have a 20 percent chance of playing Real Madrid," AC Milan chairman Adriano Galliani said.

Although Barcelona finished behind Chelsea in its Champions League group, the Spanish side is returning to form.

On Thursday, Barca reached the final of the World Club Cup - FIFA's version of a club world championship - by beating Mexico's America 4-0. Rijkaard's side will face Brazil's Internacional in Sunday's final in Yokohama, Japan, venue of the 2002 World Cup.

"We are very glad to have played at this level," said Ronaldinho, who scored one goal and set up two others against America. "We enjoyed ourselves very much. It may have seemed easy but it wasn't."

The first legs of the Champions League knockout round will be played Feb. 20-21, with the return legs on March 6-7. The group winners will have a slight advantage of playing at home for the second legs. The final is May 23 in Athens.

Several teams know they can't face Barca in Friday's draw.

Under competition rules, the group winners are kept apart, as well as the runners-up. Teams from the same countries are also kept apart, as are clubs which qualified from the same group.

That means Rijkaard's team can't face group winner Chelsea, Spanish teams Real Madrid and Valencia and fellow runners-up Inter Milan, PSV, AS Roma, Celtic, FC Porto and Lille.

But Barcelona could face AC Milan, Manchester United, Liverpool, Lyon, Bayern Munich or Arsenal, all top-quality matchups.

There's also the possibility of Manchester United-Real Madrid, which could bring former Red Devils star David Beckham back to Old Trafford.

Bayern Munich can't face group winner Inter Milan. But the rest of the runners-up are wide open and that means a possible game against Real Madrid.

Inter Milan, which is seven points ahead in Serie A, can't face AC Milan or Roma either but could meet Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Lyon or Arsenal.
Rossoneri7
I surely wouldnt worry about who we come against .. We are bound to meet up with the best after the last 16 .. So it wont matter if we play Barca now or in the final cool.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (Warchant @ Dec 15 2006, 09:24 AM)
Inter Milan - Runner-up Group B 
Possible OpponentsChelsea, Liverpool, Valencia, Lyon, Manchester Utd., Arsenal

if they don't get Valenica then they're possibly out.. smile.gif

editlooks like they got their wish sad.gif
han2503
These are my predictions for todays draw:

Chelsea - Celtic

Barcelona - Arsenal (The final repeat, just hope it won't be as boring)

Bayern Munich - Lille

Inter Milan - Lyon ( devil.gif The Frenchies will wipe the floor with the merda)

PSV Eindhoven - Valencia

AS Roma - Liverpool

Real Madrid - AC Milan devil.gif

Manchester Utd - Porto

1hr and 40 mins to go for the draws smile.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 15 2006, 08:20 PM)
These are my predictions for todays draw:

Chelsea - Celtic

Barcelona - Arsenal (The final repeat, just hope it won't be as boring)

Bayern Munich - Lille

Inter Milan -  Lyon ( devil.gif  The Frenchies will wipe the floor with the merda)

PSV Eindhoven - Valencia

AS Roma - Liverpool

Real Madrid - AC Milan  devil.gif

Manchester Utd -  Porto

1hr and 40 mins to go for the draws  smile.gif

i like that. devilsmiley.gif
Portman
Milan - FC Hype... my choice.
arivanjj
QUOTE (Portugal @ Dec 15 2006, 09:53 PM)
Milan - FC Hype... my choice.

i like ur signiture and i'm sure it'll stay just like that for a long time wink.gif
arivanjj
chelsea vs. porto
arivanjj
CELTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

edit: sh1t!!! sad.gif
arivanjj
Barca vs. Liverpool
Portman
It's Celtic!!! Celtic-Milan

Porto-Chelsea

Real Madrid-Bayern

Inter-Valencia

Lille-ManUtd

Roma-Lyon

Barcelona-Liverpool
Portman
We play the first leg in Britain. cool.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (Portugal @ Dec 15 2006, 10:18 PM)
We play the first leg in Britain.  cool.gif

so if we go through who might be our next opponent?
Portman

"so if we go through who might be our next opponent?"

We'll have another draw then.
LaPalma
QUOTE (Portugal @ Dec 15 2006, 12:24 PM)

Hehe...another lucky draw for us....

so if we go through who might be our next opponent?

Every team that made it through the last 16.
arivanjj
damn man.. i feel sorry for Roma.
misha
My prediction about Milan was right cool.gif Well we got the easiest draw and I'm sure we will past them. Too bad Inter didn't get Barca or something.

Predictions:

Celtic-Milan

Porto-Chelsea

Real Madrid-Bayern

Inter-Valencia

Lille-ManUtd

Roma-Lyon

Barcelona-Liverpool

PSV-Arsenal
han2503
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Dec 15 2006, 11:41 AM)
Hehe...another lucky draw for us....
Every team that made it through the last 16.

well at least we are getting some luck this season. Te past few years we where getting some of the toughest draws of the competition

QUOTE (arivanjj @ Dec 15 2006, 12:02 PM)
damn man.. i feel sorry for Roma.

Me too, I wanted the merda to get Lyon

Man in my predictions post I guessed Celsea-Porto but I had to change it because I couldn't pair up Man U and celtic with any other team.

Any way, very happy with the draw , was watching the draw on Eurosport and he kept saying that Celtic got the easy draw. So that's what our imge is looking like right now. I hope we recover some form by then and kill Celtic like we did Bayern last season devil.gif
arivanjj
Bremen is versing Ajax in uefa cup...sweeeeeeeeeeeet
LaPalma
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Dec 15 2006, 01:16 PM)
Bremen is versing Ajax in uefa cup...sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Poor Bremen, another tough draw, they always have bad luck....but I guess Bremen is right now better than Ajax....I'm eager to see the duell between Klose and Huntelaar...
Rossoneri7
Damn Celtic !! We played them two yr ago in CL group .. We won away and at home, but I'm not too comfortable this time around ..

In anycase, I hope the team will be ready once the draw arrives ..

Man U got the easiest draw of all !!

Barca will have a head-ache with Liverfool..

and the merda will be out of the competition after this round, cuz Valencia are no push overs, this season
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Dec 15 2006, 01:23 PM)
Damn Celtic !! We played them two yr ago in CL group .. We won away and at home, but I'm not too comfortable this time around ..
In anycase, I hope the team will be ready once the draw arrives ..

Man U got the easiest draw of all !!

Barca will have a head-ache with Liverfool..

and the merda will be out of the competition after this round, cuz Valencia are no push overs, this season

We drew in Cettic park in 04/05 then we won 3-1 in the San Siro. Considering our current form, I'm happy that we drew Celtic. Considering that Kobenhaven managed to beat them 3-1 then I would say we will probably make it to the quarter finals again this year (hopefully) if we manage to make it again to the quarters it will be our 5th year running, a feet that hasn't been achieved by anyone cool.gif

Barca will run rings around Liverpool be sure to place some money on it devil.gif
bigmacmtl
if we dont beat celtic, ancelotti should be shown the door along with other players.
agenth
Celtic shouldn't be underestimated!
As shown by the statistics, they are impressiv at home.
If we play against them in the shape we are now, we will loose 100%.
But then again. we all can hope for january transfers and the christmas break.

I too think PSV would have been easier, but I'm not complaining.
It wouldn't have mattered who we could have drawn.
X-Offender
I like this draw, I like it a lot. As I said a couple of days ago, it's either Real Madrid or Celtic. I'm happy we got Celtic and not PSV, like some of you wanted. If we drew PSV they would probably close with a 10 men defense like they did last year, I'm pretty sure about. They're not a top team anymore, so they're afraid of us or any other big team. But Celtic... Celtic is another dimension. British football has never been defensive, they'll probably try to win both matches, and if we get a good result in Scotland then I'm 99% sure we'll get through the next round.
Portman
The only team that won in Celtic Park for the CL was Barcelona.

Bayern and Milan drew there too. All the others lost.

It's not a friendly pitch... we've to watch out specially on the 1st leg.

Playing away, Celtic is b/s.
mishie
i watched celtic in a spl game last weekend and i have to say they were awful! even tho they won the game they play quite direct and have some pace up front but lack guile. very workman like team with a good team ethic but do lack quality and are very suspect at the back. So are stlye of calcio they really shouldn't stand a chance but the home crowd in glasgow often acts as a 12th man!! so caution in the away leg and them thrash them at the San Siro biggrin.gif
misha
Ancelotti shows Celtic respect

Milan Coach Carlo Ancelotti has admitted that Champions League rivals Celtic will pose them problems during the first leg in Glasgow.

The Rossoneri, who have won the competition six times, were drawn with the Scottish giants today and Ancelotti is keen to show them respect.

“Celtic are a strong side when also considering the environment we will play in. They are most dangerous when they play at home,” said Ancelotti this afternoon.

“I know we could have been handed a stronger side,” explained the tactician, referring to the fact that Milan – as group winners – could have been paired with Barcelona or Real Madrid.

“However, Celtic are an excellent team who went very close to winning their group. They defeated Manchester United at home and impressed at Old Trafford,” concluded Ancelotti.

Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani refused to pass comment though given his bad memories of 2004.

“After what happened in Milan-Deportivo, I have decided to not comment on the outcome of draws anymore,” stated the former Lega Calcio chief.

Milan beat the Spaniards 4-1 at home, but amazingly lost the second leg 4-0 which shattered their Champions League dream that season.

Football Italia
misha
Strachan thrilled by Milan mission

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan is relishing the opportunity to pit his wits against Milan

Celtic FC manager Gordon Strachan believes his side are capable of springing a surprise after the draw for the UEFA Champions League first knockout round paired the Scottish champions with six-time winners AC Milan.

Glasgow fortress
Celtic finally progressed from the group stage at the fourth attempt and will seek to capitalise on their impressive home form in the first leg in Glasgow on 20 February. Strachan's team have won nine of their 12 UEFA Champions League games at Celtic Park, and in six home European encounters with Italian opposition have lost only once – against Milan, in the 1968/69 European Champion Clubs' Cup quarter-finals. They famously defeated FC Internazionale Milano 2-1 in the 1967 final to become Britain's first European champions.

'Star names'
"It's absolutely thrilling, fantastic," said Strachan. "Thanks to the good work the players did last year and this, they can play against one of the best teams in the world. Milan are star names and it's important for the players' education to play in places like this. It's ten years since I stopped playing and this is the first time I've thought 'I'd fancy a bit of that'. What a great opportunity for the players to show the world how good they are."

Away travails
The worry for Strachan is his side's away form. Not only have the Scottish club never won in six visits to Italy, losing their last four, but in 12 away matches in the competition they have managed just one draw. "We can take on anyone [at Celtic Park], but we need to do that away from home," Strachan admitted. "We feel really confident in ourselves at home with the backing of the fans, the atmosphere and our own ability."

Celtic improvement
Milan took four points off Celtic in the 2004/05 group stage, triumphing 3-1 at the San Siro before a goalless draw in Glasgow, but Kakha Kaladze is not reading too much into that, saying: "Celtic are a good side, especially at home, it won't be easy at all. We played them two years ago and needed two late goals to beat them at home before drawing in Scotland, and they're even stronger this season after making some important signings."

Home advantage
"Celtic are a difficult team to face, especially in Scotland, but the draw could have been worse," added coach Carlo Ancelotti, who will have home advantage when the tie concludes on 7 March. "They are a very good side, they came close to winning their group, and their home fans will give them plenty of help. Our advantage is that qualification will be decided at the San Siro. Now we have two months to refind our best form and I have no doubts we will be at our very best against Celtic."

©uefa.com
Rossoneri7
I hope our strikers gain form over the winter break, cuz we definately need them for this match ... Knock-out stages are mainly based on how strong ur attack is, and our attack is (sorry Pippo..) a joke.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.