Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houllier slams Golden Canna
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
KillerMax
Lyon Coach Gerard Houllier has hit out at the decision to award the 2006 Golden Ball to Fabio Cannavaro. “It’s a scandal,” he declared.

The official announcement of the world champion’s victory will take place this evening in Paris.

The defender will become the fourth Italian player to win the prestigious trophy, following Gianni Rivera in 1969, Paolo Rossi in 1982 and Roberto Baggio in 1993.

“Compared to other players he certainly didn’t deserve to win,” claimed Houllier.

“He played a great World Cup, but not a great season. Personally I would have given it to Gianluigi Buffon,” added the tactician, whose side held Real Madrid to a 2-2 draw in their latest Champions League Group E tie.

“It’s a scandal and the thing that bothers me most is that Thierry Henry, a player who has been scoring 20 goals a season for years now and appeared in two finals in the last season, was not even taken into consideration, there was a negative campaign around him.”

“As to Cannavaro, you only need to look at what John Carew managed to do against him in the Champions League – watching that game you understand that Cannavaro’s win is an abominable result,” concluded Houllier.

Football Italia
KillerMax
I agree with everything he said.
agenth
oh yes me too...
unfortunately he already won the award, and the whole world knows...
han2503
Houllier hit the nail perfectly on it's head here.

Canna only had a great WC but other then that he was average with Juve last season and is terrible now with Real. Buffon and Kaka would have been the 2 most deserving of the award.

Henry also but the fact that he always chokes on the big stage doesn't help him out in the cause.

If Paolo didn't win it in 2003 then no other defender on this planet should have ever deserved to win it. Simple as that. And this is not because of bias, Paolo had probably one of his best seasons that year and a very good WC also, even though Italy didn't go very far.
Portman
Cannavaro deserves the prize. Much more than Buffon and Henry. But that's just my opinion.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Portugal @ Nov 27 2006, 05:19 PM)
Cannavaro deserves the prize. Much more than Buffon and Henry. But that's just my opinion.

I agree .. king.gif
dst
Henry?? Ha-ha good one!!

I think Buffon deserves it more than anyone but (despite what I've said before) I won't be disappointed if Cannavaro gets to win it and it's certainly not "a scandal" for God's sake!! rolleyes.gif

What losers those French are, they lost can't they get over it? (I'm sure Houllier would say something similar for Buffon if he was to win it)

Would Carew deserve it?? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif Funny people!!
Portman
QUOTE (dst @ Nov 27 2006, 05:47 PM)
Would Carew deserve it??  rolleyes.gif  laugh.gif  Funny people!!

laugh.gif Carew! laugh.gif
misha
I would give it to Buffon too. Overall he deserves it more.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mishale @ Nov 27 2006, 09:39 PM)
I would give it to Buffon too. Overall he deserves it more.

Buffon was injured for the first half of last season, while Canna was holding the line for 4 months .. That's why I think Canna edged Buffon
misha
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 27 2006, 08:41 PM)
Buffon was injured for the first half of last season, while Canna was holding the line for 4 months .. That's why I think Canna edged Buffon

Canna gave an average season and he is playing poorly this one.
agenth
1. Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid/173 points)
2. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus Turin/124)
3. Thierry Henry (Arsenal/121)
4. Ronaldinho (Barcelone/73)
5. Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid/71)
6. Samuel Eto'o (Barcelone/67)
7. Miroslav Klose (Werder Breme/29)
8. Didier Drogba (Chelsea/25)
9. Andrea Pirlo (Milan/17)
10. Jens Lehmann (Arsenal/13)

End...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (mishale @ Nov 27 2006, 09:43 PM)
Canna gave an average season and he is playing poorly this one

Oh this one, I'm not counting ... I'm counting last season w/ Juve & Italy .. He was a rock for Juve .. I remember even secretly wanting him @ Milan, even before the WC
misha
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 27 2006, 08:52 PM)
Oh this one, I'm not counting ... I'm counting last season w/ Juve & Italy .. He was a rock for Juve .. I remember even secretly wanting him @ Milan, even before the WC

For me he didn't played for Juve last year good enough to deserve this. Buffon was more consistent. But it doesn't matter now
Rossoneri7
Nope, it doesn't matter .. We'll the next one has to go to Kaka ... devil.gif devil.gif
misha
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 27 2006, 08:57 PM)
We'll the next one has to go to Kaka ...  devil.gif  devil.gif

Amen to that king.gif
han2503
mchanna is that the official list??

If so then that is a ridiculous one, how can someone like Zizou deserve it more then players like Kaka or Eto'o, an average season at best at Real and only 2 good games in the WC rolleyes.gif

imo this one should have been to Gigi, with Kaka coming in second, even Sheva who was great last season and had a decent WC also deserved a mention.

Players like Drogba, Zidane and even Pirlo (was terrible last season for us imo) shouldn't be in the final 10.

Canna was average for Juve also last season, had a tremandous WC but is back to bveing mediocre for Real, last time I checked this award was given for the achievments of an entire season, not for how you played in the WC
agenth
yep this is the official list...

well Fabio Cannavaro is the new face of Italy...
and it helped that he was the captain.
X-Offender
1. Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid/173 points)
2. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus Turin/124)
3. Thierry Henry (Arsenal/121)
4. Ronaldinho (Barcelone/73)
5. Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid/71)
6. Samuel Eto'o (Barcelone/67)
7. Miroslav Klose (Werder Breme/29)
8. Didier Drogba (Chelsea/25)
9. Andrea Pirlo (Milan/17)
10. Jens Lehmann (Arsenal/13)

Kakà not even in the top ten? This is disgraceful.
LaPalma
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 27 2006, 07:57 PM)
Nope, it doesn't matter .. We'll the next one has to go to Kaka ...  devil.gif  devil.gif

Right. It's a joke Ricky isn't even under the Top 10. Between Canna and Gigi I guess I would have given it to Gigi, because his performances in the WC weren't any worse than Cannas, and he was back in January or so, and man he was really back then.
Personaly I would have given the award to Klose. He scored an ebormous 24 goals last season and giving 14 assists. And he also scored 3 or 4 in the CL AND was the WC's TOp scorer, but I guess the Bundesliga just isn't the League to be in if you want to win the Ballon d'Or.
arivanjj
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 28 2006, 09:23 AM)

yes i'm just shocked... mad.gif
han2503
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 28 2006, 01:24 AM)
Right. It's a joke Ricky isn't even under the Top 10. Between Canna and Gigi I guess I would have given it to Gigi, because his performances in the WC weren't any worse than Cannas, and he was back in January or so, and man he was really back then.
Personaly I would have given the award to Klose. He scored an ebormous 24 goals last season and giving 14 assists. And he also scored 3 or 4 in the CL AND was the WC's TOp scorer, but I guess the Bundesliga just isn't the League to be in if you want to win the Ballon d'Or.

Klose needs to move to Italy. ::cough:: Milan ::cough:: innocent.gif
Jack Sparrow
What ::cough:: han said ::cough exactly what he ::cough:: said!
LaPalma
QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 28 2006, 09:50 AM)
Klose needs to  move to Italy. ::cough:: Milan ::cough::  innocent.gif

That would be soooo awesome king.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 28 2006, 02:07 PM)
That would be soooo awesome king.gif

Yes it would devil.gif
Portman
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 27 2006, 10:23 PM)

Kaka' was the #11 (I'm not joking).

Milan didn't win anything... same for Brazil...
han2503
QUOTE (Portugal @ Nov 28 2006, 02:03 PM)
Kaka' was the #11 (I'm not joking).

Milan didn't win anything... same for Brazil...

Kaka deserved to be in the top 5 at least.

Players like Drogba (who was awful last season, and practically got booed by his fans evertime he touched the ball), Zidane (also mediocre last season, and isn't even playing anymore) even Pirlo (who was terrble for us last season) don't deserve to be above Kaka.

This thing has is a total joke. They should have just given it to R10 and shut everybody up
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 28 2006, 08:10 PM)
Kaka deserved to be in the top 5 at least.

Players like Drogba (who was awful last season, and practically got booed by his fans evertime he touched the ball), Zidane (also mediocre last season, and isn't even playing anymore) even Pirlo (who was terrble for us last season) don't deserve to be above Kaka.

This thing has is a total joke. They should have just given it to R10 and shut everybody up

His career speaks for itself .. Even the mediocre season he participated in, was a great season when u compare him to the rest. I think, had it not been for Zizu, France wouldnt even be in the final, let alone knocked out in the group stages wink.gif

But in the end that is my humble opinion .. cool.gif
agenth
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 28 2006, 07:03 PM)
His career speaks for itself .. Even the mediocre season he participated in, was a great season when u compare him to the rest. I think, had it not been for Zizu, France wouldnt even be in the final, let alone knocked out in the group stages wink.gif

But in the end that is my humble opinion ..  cool.gif

oh yes france was in the group stage very poor.
south korea almost won *shakesherhead*

Klose... hmm... he is 29 no?
KillerMax
QUOTE (mchanna @ Nov 28 2006, 12:31 PM)
oh yes france was in the group stage very poor.
south korea almost won *shakesherhead*
Klose... hmm... he is 29 no?

Yep.
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 28 2006, 06:03 PM)

But in the end that is my humble opinion ..  cool.gif

But the award isn't given for how successful your carreer has been, it's given for your performances throughout the season. Imo there where many better players then Zizou last season
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 28 2006, 09:38 PM)
But the award isn't given for how successful your carreer has been, it's given for your performances throughout the season. Imo there where many better players then Zizou last season

Oh I know that .. But, exactly how I stated previouslly, because of his glorious past, even his mediocre season with Madrid, which was much better IMO when u compare several others performances to his .. Plus him taking France to the final, which was a one man show .. Is enough for him to be up there .. In fact, I truely believe this, had he not been red carded, the cup would be French .. ( I know that I'll get bashed for saying this, but to me .. Zidane is Zidane king.gif
agenth
1. Cannavaro (Italy/Real Madrid) 173 votes
2. Buffon (Italy/Juventus) 124
3. Henry (France/Arsenal) 121
4. Ronaldinho (Brazil/Barcelona) 73
5. Zidane (France) 71
6. Eto'o (Cameroon/Barcellona) 67
7. Klose (Germany/Werder) 29
8. Drogba (Ivory Coast/Chelsea) 25
9. Pirlo (Italy/Milan) 17
10. Lehmann (Germany/Arsenal) 13
11. Deco (Portugal/Barcelona) e Kakà (Brazil/Milan) 11
13. Ribery (France/Marseille) 9
14. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Manchester Utd), Gattuso (Italy/Milan) Vieira (France/Inter) 5
17. Lampard (England/Chelsea), Podolski (Germany/Bayern), Puyol (Spain/Barcelona) 3
20. Juninho Pernambucano (Brazil/Lyon), Messi (Argentina/Barcelona), Terry (England/Chelsea), Toni (Italy/Fiorentina) e Zambrotta (Italy/Barcelona) 2
25. Lahm (Germany/Bayern Munich) e Villa (Spain/Valencia) 1

awww poor kaka sad.gif
dst
Zidane is no5!! I just noticed it... a great joke... and a disgrace... he was totally not there... you can award him the "Best Footballer Ever" award or what I don't care but last year? No rrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllyyy far away from it!! mad.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 28 2006, 08:18 PM)
Oh I know that .. But, exactly how I stated previouslly, because of his glorious past, even his mediocre season with Madrid, which was much better IMO when u compare several others performances to his .. Plus him taking France to the final, which was a one man show .. Is enough for him to be up there .. In fact, I truely believe this, had he not been red carded, the cup would be French .. ( I know that I'll get bashed for saying this, but to me .. Zidane is Zidane king.gif

Him being on till the end wouldn't have stopped Trez from smashing the post in the shoot out.

This WC had Italy written all over it from the beginning
LaPalma
QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 28 2006, 11:00 PM)
This WC had Italy written all over it from the beginning

What...???? Let's just say...NO!!!!
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 29 2006, 04:56 AM)
What...???? Let's just say...NO!!!!

Good, French .. Lets leave it there ... tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.