Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIP: Ferenc Puskas
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
Portman

Hungarian football legend Ferenc Puskas has died at the age of 79

During a brilliant playing career, Puskas established himself as one of the game's genuine greats.

Nicknamed 'The Galloping Major', Puskas was the focal point of the Hungarian team widely regarded as international football's best in the early 1950s.

The 'Magical Magyars' reached the final of the 1954 World Cup in Switzerland, with Puskas scoring in the 3-2 defeat to West Germany.

He had gone into the game with an ankle injury sustained in a group meeting with the West Germans which forced him to miss the quarter final and semi-final.

Puskas concluded his Hungarian career with a remarkable 83 goals in 84 appearances before he represented Spain at the 1962 World Cup in Chile.

At club level, he made his name with the army team Honved and he won four Hungarian domestic titles prior to signing for Spanish giants Real Madrid in 1958 after almost two years in exile.

The goals continued to flow at the Bernabeu, with Puskas averaging almost a goal a game in eight years with the club.

Puskas was a four-time leading scorer in the Spanish league and won multiple domestic and continental titles with Real.

He won the European Cup three times, with arguably his finest hour coming in the 1960 final against Eintracht Frankfurt when he scored four in a 7-3 victory at Hampden Park.

After retirement, Puskas moved into coaching and took Greek outfit Panathinaikos to the 1971 European Cup final.

In recent years he had been suffering from an Alzheimer's-like illness and passed away in hospital on Friday.

A true legend.

RIP Ferenc Puskas.
arivanjj
RIP Puskas... sleep.gif
X-Offender
R.I.P.
LaPalma
R.I.P Puskas. The "galloping major" is a true legend of football. One of the best strikers in the world ever! I guess the 1954 WC was his best time. His left foot was a weapon. It's really sad he passed away so quickly...
misha
RIP sad.gif One of the great...
KillerMax
The amount of goals he scored is insane... But one question though, is it true that he played for both Hungry and Spain? unsure.gif
Portman
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Nov 23 2006, 12:58 PM)
But one question though, is it true that he played for both Hungry and Spain? unsure.gif

Yes. Scoring for both.
dst
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Nov 23 2006, 02:58 PM)
The amount of goals he scored is insane... But one question though, is it true that he played for both Hungry and Spain? unsure.gif

Wiki says so ...

Spain national team

While also playing for Real, Puskás played four times for Spain and represented them at the 1962 World Cup. For once his goalscoring form deserted him and he failed to score any goals for Spain.

... unsure.gif ... sounds crazy, just as his record !!
KillerMax
QUOTE (dst @ Nov 23 2006, 07:04 AM)
Wiki says so ...
...  unsure.gif ... sounds crazy, just as his record !!

I bet the Hungerians were pissed... I know I would be... BIG TIME!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.