Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buffon ‘wins’ Golden Ball – reports
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
misha
Juventus and Italy goalkeeper Gigi Buffon will be handed the 2006 Golden Ball, claims the Tuttosport newspaper on Tuesday.

The Turin-based daily suggests that the shot-stopper has pipped Real Madrid stopper Fabio Cannavaro and Arsenal's Thierry Henry for the European Footballer of the Year title.

Although the France Football magazine, who organise the award, won’t reveal the name of the winner until November 27 in Paris, Buffon is thought to have succeeded previous winner and Barca star Ronaldinho.

Buffon is one of 50 players on the France Football shortlist which also includes World Cup winning teammates Cannavaro, Gennaro Gattuso, Fabio Grosso, Andrea Pirlo, Luca Toni and Gianluca Zambrotta.

The numerous European journalists who assign the title handed in their votes last night which will allegedly see Buffon given the most prestigious individual honour in the game.

Buffon, who remained with Juventus despite their demotion to Serie B during the summer, would become the second goalkeeper to win the prestigious award after Soviet legend Lev Yashin in 1963.

He would also become Italy's fifth European Footballer of the Year after Omar Sivori [an oriundo] in 1961, Gianni Rivera in 1969, Paolo Rossi in 1982 and Roberto Baggio in 1993.

The former Parma man, linked with Chelsea last month, has recently been sponsored for the win by Rivera and ex-Juve playmaker Michel Platini, who won the title from 1983 to 1985.
Football Italia
han2503
Oh so Juvesport is reporting this cr@p? laugh.gif

Let's face it these types of awards never go to defenders or goalkeepers, if Paolo couldn't win it in 03 then I can't see anyone that is a defensive minded player win it. Deserving as he is.

Personally I think it should go to Kaka, he has been consistant throughout these last few years and didn't go to the WC and vanish, he actually played good
agenth
QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 7 2006, 06:46 PM)
Oh so Juvesport is reporting this cr@p?  laugh.gif

Let's face it these types of awards never go to defenders or goalkeepers, if Paolo couldn't win it in 03 then I can't see anyone that is a defensive minded player win it. Deserving as he is.

Personally I think it should go to Kaka, he has been consistant throughout these last few years and didn't go to the WC and vanish, he actually played good

just what I thought biggrin.gif

why are they assuming, that buffon get's it?!?
nothing is confirmed. such articles are just annoying
arivanjj
LOL
LaPalma
I've heard my mother will win this years Ballon d'Or....
Jack Sparrow
Really..LaPalma...U need to stop getting inspired by Crank....that stuff could kill you
misha
When Sheva won it was also known two weeks before the actual announcement but back there many newspapers published it and here it's just Juve's unofficial newspaper.
LaPalma
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 8 2006, 05:43 PM)
Really..LaPalma...U need to stop getting inspired by Crank....that stuff could kill you

It's just what I heard...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.