Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Define Super Star
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 06/07
Rossoneri7
Guys/Ladies ..

I've been discussing this with a couple of friends the other night, about how do you measure a player to be a Super Star.

Is it ...
the achievments (i.e. CL,WC, etc..)
the name (i.e. Zidane)
the weight of a player in a team (Ronaldinho is Barcalona)
or the non-fluctuating performance of a player for 10 or so yrs (i.e. Maldini)
KillerMax
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jul 30 2006, 09:17 PM)
or the non-fluctuating performance of a player for 10 or so yrs (i.e. Maldini)

I don't know the answer to your question but this ^ is what we call a legend. wink.gif
GULLIVER
All of them. I can add - personality, devotion, etc...

BTW - Zidane isn't just a name!!
dst
Nationality.
All Brazilians are over-rated suprstars!!!!

... puke.gif
samarthmilanfan
All these are not super stars....Super stars have a record of helpin their team when there team is loosing..[eg. Shevchenko....Henry...etc].

Legends are purely based on their unfluctuating performance on the pitch[Eg Maldini, Zidane,]

U can call ronaldinho a superstar but he is not even close to being a legend...he even hasnt achieved half what zidane has done during his time....

devilsmiley.gif Rossoneri!!!!
LaPalma
I guess the only thing beeing a super star is how you can present yourself in the media. I mean look at David Beckham, he can do almost nothing on the field (he can't tackle, he can't score, his headers are poor...), still he's a superstar...
Beeing a superstar has nothing to do with good performances, Maldini is probably the best defender of all times, but do you see him in these fancy adidas spots on TV? No, because he's a defender, and defender and GK superstars are rare.
The only GK superstar ever is Oliver Kahn, not because he's one the best GKs ever (he was definetely far the best in 2002), but because he screams on the field, attacks people, screams more and somehow looks like a gorilla. He has an interesting image and is entertaining..that's all you need...
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jul 31 2006, 01:00 PM)
I guess the only thing beeing a super star is how you can present yourself in the media.  He has an interesting image and is entertaining..that's all you need...

So you measure a super star by how he presents himself to the media ?

I dont know I guess ur right, but I thought there was more too it..

@ pkillermax, Maldini is a legend no doubt, but wouldnt he be considered a super stat since he is the famous and most respected footballer around the world?

I dont know, I'm still not seeing eye to eye; maybe it depends on the public or as LaPalma said the media..

@dst, yeah most of the Brazilian squad r famous, but I dont know about them being super stars...

..Good example, take Ronaldo .. I mean he hasnt been playing his pedigree of football for 3 years now; but still he is a super star ..
dst
well a star is a shining thing ... that said any footballer that shines in any way is a (super) star.So what we need to define is what shining means; It's something that drags your attention so he who can appeal to many peope because of his deeds (in football all that is) is a shining "thing" = a star

Being a football legend and being a football superstar are two competely different characteristics though sometimes they come in pair.

To be a legend you have to be great, a real proffesional and an exceptional player as well!!!
To be a superstar you need to have a trademark quality, do fancy tricks, be selfish, play a lot for youreself and the crowd even if all that is not done in a disrespectful manner or is neccesarily bad ...

For example; Ronaldo (that fat one not the crying baby) is a legend (you can always disagree on that but please don't do it tongue.gif ) and a superstar.He used to be an amazing player because he was GREAT and at the same time he would please your eyes.He is still a super star but he doesn't play like a legend.

A bad player can never be a superstar. But superstars are overrated and rarely true legends ...
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Aug 7 2006, 09:07 AM)
A bad player can never be a superstar. But superstars are overrated and rarely true legends ...

Ahem...Beckham...Beckham... What did George Best say about him?

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Aug 7 2006, 02:36 PM)
Ahem...Beckham...Beckham... What did George Best say about him?

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.