Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A 2019/2020 season
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 9 2020, 06:40 PM) *
Oh man, seriously? I just said that I used those stats "to back up a specific argument: passing accuracy". What did you use stats for? I can't remember the argument.

Pretty much every debate about the competence in different areas of different players!

I use numbers to back my points up, or to discredit them. Whereas you claimed you aren't interested in stats.

So even using them to back up your argument means you only selectively aren't interested!
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 10 2020, 02:44 PM) *
Pretty much every debate about the competence in different areas of different players!

I use numbers to back my points up, or to discredit them. Whereas you claimed you aren't interested in stats.

So even using them to back up your argument means you only selectively aren't interested!

You see, it really depends on how you use stats. Some people rely on them so much and make general claims like "Rebic won 15 challenges and had 8 shots on target, hence he had a great game". When in reality Rebic might been crap the entire match. Those stats don't prove anything about the player's quality on the pitch.

But if you want to quantify something specific, then it's only natural to back your claims with numbers. If I say Kessie was great at passing tonight, then a stat like passing accuracy is perfect to back it up. Or if I want to prove that Rebic put a lot of effort in this match, then I would look at kilometres ran.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 10 2020, 06:11 PM) *
You see, it really depends on how you use stats. Some people rely on them so much and make general claims like "Rebic won 15 challenges and had 8 shots on target, hence he had a great game". When in reality Rebic might been crap the entire match. Those stats don't prove anything about the player's quality on the pitch.

'when in reality' means 'in your opinion'. The facts/stats are undisputed, and absolute, whereas your opinion about what you see is entirely subjective. And that's fine, but I've used stats to back up certain areas of competence many times and you rejected them saying you didn't go much for stats. That's the bit I'm unable to reconcile here.

If you use them even once, then you DO go for stats.

But if you want to quantify something specific, then it's only natural to back your claims with numbers. If I say Kessie was great at passing tonight, then a stat like passing accuracy is perfect to back it up. Or if I want to prove that Rebic put a lot of effort in this match, then I would look at kilometres ran.

To flip your argument back on you, and use your 'in reality', Kessie might have passed 90% accurate for 2-5 yard passes, yet made not a single through ball or longer ball. So was he good at passing, or keeping it simple?

As for the effort, that too is subjective. Running all over the place is what Borini used to do, but he was hardly praised for a natural part of his game. And running like a headless chicken is kind of pointless, and effort put in the wrong place.

So I take your points, but reality is you use stats after all wink.gif
Danny
However, on topic, match tomorrow. And we're supposedly looking at Celtic's Ajer. Who I know well.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 11 2020, 09:41 PM) *
'when in reality' means 'in your opinion'. The facts/stats are undisputed, and absolute, whereas your opinion about what you see is entirely subjective. And that's fine, but I've used stats to back up certain areas of competence many times and you rejected them saying you didn't go much for stats. That's the bit I'm unable to reconcile here.

If you use them even once, then you DO go for stats.

If you show me I will eat my words.

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 11 2020, 09:41 PM) *
To flip your argument back on you, and use your 'in reality', Kessie might have passed 90% accurate for 2-5 yard passes, yet made not a single through ball or longer ball. So was he good at passing, or keeping it simple?

As for the effort, that too is subjective. Running all over the place is what Borini used to do, but he was hardly praised for a natural part of his game. And running like a headless chicken is kind of pointless, and effort put in the wrong place.

So I take your points, but reality is you use stats after all wink.gif

You can't flip my argument because even if he made 2-5 yard passes that statement remains true, and that Kessie wasn't responsible for fucking up our attacks with misplaced passes.

Same for Borini. I think I always maintained that I appreciated Borini for his effort. We're not talking about someone's overall performance here, but about specific aspects of their play. You just don't want to accept it because apparently I criticised you sometime ago about using stats and are feeling resentful about it now that I used stats for once myself. Let's not be petty about it.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 11 2020, 09:53 PM) *
If you show me I will eat my words.

No, you won't, you'll argue your way out of it smile.gif

You can't flip my argument because even if he made 2-5 yard passes that statement remains true, and that Kessie wasn't responsible for fucking up our attacks with misplaced passes.

Same for Borini. I think I always maintained that I appreciated Borini for his effort. We're not talking about someone's overall performance here, but about specific aspects of their play. You just don't want to accept it because apparently I criticised you sometime ago about using stats and are feeling resentful about it now that I used stats for once myself. Let's not be petty about it.

Waffle.
CrazyMilanFan
Game started
Rossoneri7
Weird having Gattuso against Milan blink.gif
CrazyMilanFan
True and not a good start somehow just hanging to nill nill
CrazyMilanFan
But we have scored now after a great move
X-Offender
Napoli are exactly the kind of team we can't handle. Quick on the ball, relentless, high pressing. Their combinations sometimes can be really great.

That being said, we absolutely need to increase our intensity. Some of our players have been incredibly underwhelming, Kessie, Paqueta and Hakan especially need to wake up.
Danny
I wasn't able to watch, my provider expired one day before this match haha.

But I'm a curse - I rarely witness a win. In my absence we've won three or four.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 12 2020, 09:34 PM) *
Napoli are exactly the kind of team we can't handle. Quick on the ball, relentless, high pressing. Their combinations sometimes can be really great.

Explain why Gattuso's Milan was nothing like this, but his Napoli are kind of awesome?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 12 2020, 09:35 PM) *
Explain why Gattuso's Milan was nothing like this, but his Napoli are kind of awesome?

Different players?
X-Offender
Brainfart from Donnarumma. Great.
William405
A draw against an in-form Napoli, I think it's a fair result.
William405
So stupid from Bennacer at the end!
X-Offender
Great result considering everything. Performance was mediocre but I guess we all raised our expectations a bit too high after the latest string of results.
X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Jul 12 2020, 10:43 PM) *
So stupid from Bennacer at the end!

Yeah man, what the hell?!
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 13 2020, 12:44 AM) *
Great result considering everything. Performance was mediocre but I guess we all raised our expectations a bit too high after the latest string of results.

True, let's not forget Napoli have been doing really well. I actually thought we had some smart adjustments. We were leaving too much space at the start of the match, and then changed that totally in the second half. These are maybe signs of a maturing team. We are for sure lacking a killing in attack and a killer in midfield...but we've said this too often.

William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 13 2020, 12:44 AM) *
Yeah man, what the hell?!

Did you see Conti's face? laugh.gif

Admitting Conti has done stupider things hahaha.
X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Jul 12 2020, 10:47 PM) *
True, let's not forget Napoli have been doing really well. I actually thought we had some smart adjustments. We were leaving too much space at the start of the match, and then changed that totally in the second half. These are maybe signs of a maturing team. We are for sure lacking a killing in attack and a killer in midfield...but we've said this too often.

We lack more than just a couple of players. Hakan and Kessie, who were great in the second half against Juve, were pretty mediocre tonight. They're just so inconsistent, you honestly cannot rely on them.

Paqueta' was absolutely appalling. I've officially given up on him. He looked such a promising prospect when we signed him, but his regression has been quite something.

Donnarumma was also terrible. So insecure and so many mistakes.

Two players I really must commend that do not get talked often are Kjaer and Bonaventura. Kjaer has been really solid. He's a bit slow but his defensive intelligence is brilliant. And Bona is really putting a lot of effort and enthusiasm in his performances as of lately, very often making a difference. Quite admirable.
Rossoneri7
Pretty sure Milan lacks experienced players. These young players are good and need time to flourish, some of them have shown great potential and even stepped up. But when I look at Kjaer or Ibra, I see a sense of stability and maturity beyond this team.

That and maybe a reference point, someone who has the legs that Ibra clearly does not to endure 90 mins of intense action.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 13 2020, 01:22 AM) *
We lack more than just a couple of players. Hakan and Kessie, who were great in the second half against Juve, were pretty mediocre tonight. They're just so inconsistent, you honestly cannot rely on them.

Paqueta' was absolutely appalling. I've officially given up on him. He looked such a promising prospect when we signed him, but his regression has been quite something.

Donnarumma was also terrible. So insecure and so many mistakes.

Two players I really must commend that do not get talked often are Kjaer and Bonaventura. Kjaer has been really solid. He's a bit slow but his defensive intelligence is brilliant. And Bona is really putting a lot of effort and enthusiasm in his performances as of lately, very often making a difference. Quite admirable.

Totally agreed. Bonaventura each time he comes in has offered something extra, I think it's a good idea to have as a super sub. Kjaer...I'll just say I really like him! He is mature and defensively smart.

William405
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jul 13 2020, 10:30 AM) *
Pretty sure Milan lacks experienced players. These young players are good and need time to flourish, some of them have shown great potential and even stepped up. But when I look at Kjaer or Ibra, I see a sense of stability and maturity beyond this team.

That and maybe a reference point, someone who has the legs that Ibra clearly does not to endure 90 mins of intense action.

Indeed, this is exactly what Maldini said.
X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Jul 13 2020, 09:40 AM) *
Totally agreed. Bonaventura each time he comes in has offered something extra, I think it's a good idea to have as a super sub. Kjaer...I'll just say I really like him! He is mature and defensively smart.

And from what I read, both Bona and Kjaer will be let go. I honestly hope not. They both can be great subs.
Danny
Subs? I'd build the team around Kjaer. Our most important and effective defender.
William405
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 13 2020, 04:51 PM) *
Subs? I'd build the team around Kjaer. Our most important and effective defender.

He's signed, let's go for a beer. devil.gif
X-Offender
Good news.
Danny
A truly excellent signing.
han2503
Yeah, Kjaer has been excellent.

Btw, whata hot streak Kessie has been on since the restart, some excellent performances and today popped up with another crucial goal
Danny
First Milan match I've seen in a while and while it wasn't vintage tonight, it was good. Clinical win, and a character-building comeback from going a goal down.

All three of our goals were excellent.
X-Offender
We played very well in the first 30 minutes, then somehow switched off and Parma got the goal. In the second half though we really came through, but nevertheless Parma were always very dangerous when attacking and could tied when the result was still 2-1. Defensive fragility from our side, but Parma are also a very good side when counterattacking.

So, it's been 5 wins and 2 draws in the last 7 games. And considering who our opposition has been, it's been short of amazing.
han2503
Another great performance today.

Honestly cannot remember the last time we played so well and so consistently throughout.

These last 8-9 games have been the best run of games we've played in probably almost a decade
Danny
Ah crap forgot we were playing! Glad we won though.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 18 2020, 10:11 PM) *
These last 8-9 games have been the best run of games we've played in probably almost a decade

It's nice to be pleased with form but leave the hysterical comments like that to long-departed Drucurl wink.gif
X-Offender
Indeed, and it's not just results, but also playing good as well. It'd be a shame not making 5th place.

Last four games: Sassuolo (A), Atalanta (H), Sampdoria (A), Cagliari (H).
William405
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 19 2020, 12:26 AM) *
Ah crap forgot we were playing! Glad we won though.

A shame.. because the performance tonight was amazing..just great. Nonstop attacking..just a pleasure to see. This is our milan..

Sacking pioli at this moment is unacceptable.. specially with what he did after the Giamp chaos..
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 19 2020, 12:43 AM) *
Indeed, and it's not just results, but also playing good as well. It'd be a shame not making 5th place.

Last four games: Sassuolo (A), Atalanta (H), Sampdoria (A), Cagliari (H).

Indeed, honestly will depend on Roma and Napoli's results.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 18 2020, 10:27 PM) *
It's nice to be pleased with form but leave the hysterical comments like that to long-departed Drucurl wink.gif

How is that hysterical?? blink.gif

Please give me one instance since the 2012 season (when Ibra, Thiago and the old guard left) that we've played so well for such a long stretch of games
han2503
QUOTE (William405 @ Jul 18 2020, 10:44 PM) *
Indeed, honestly will depend on Roma and Napoli's results.

What does it really matter though whether we get 5th or stay 7th?

All positions get you into the EL if I am not mistaken since Napoli won the Coppa. At this point it's just a shame that we don't have a few more games to go because at this rate we would take Lazio's 4th spot if we had a bit more time to do it in.

Sadly this season was ruined during Giampaolo's ill-fated tenure
William405
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 19 2020, 12:48 AM) *

All positions get you into the EL if I am not mistaken since Napoli won the Coppa. At this point it's just a shame that we don't have a few more games to go because at this rate we would take Lazio's 4th spot if we had a bit more time to do it in.

Oh true, I forgot about the Napoli thing, so yes it doesn't matter.

What do think about the manager? Would you prefer pioli or ragnick?
han2503
QUOTE (William405 @ Jul 18 2020, 10:49 PM) *
Oh true, I forgot about the Napoli thing, so yes it doesn't matter.

What do think about the manager? Would you prefer pioli or ragnick?

Pioli

Ragnick is a complete unknown at this point. We'll be starting back from zero again next season and it just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth considering the things Pioli has done with this team.

I'd gladly take Ragnick as the sporting Director to work alongside Paolo. Because he would be a great asset to have. But this Fergie type role that is being propositioned worries me a lot.

I don't think we should discard Pioli, he should be given the chance to continue to build on what he's done this season, but with the added benefit of having someone like Ragnick bringing in the talent.

Add to that, I don't like the fact that what we're offering Paolo is basically an ambassador position when h's brought in some impeccable talent that has doubled in value since last summer. Giampaolo was his only mistake but will prove to be fatal in the end.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 18 2020, 10:48 PM) *

6th means having to go through the play-off. I'd prefer avoiding that.

As for Pioli, at this point it feels unjust to let him go. I mean, before resuming after the break I would have never considered keeping him, but the results he's bringing home are undeniable. On the other hand, Ragnick intrigues me, but he's also a huge question mark, and as Han said, it'd mean starting from zero again.
William405
Totally agreed with you guys. I just don't want us to rebuild..start from scratch again.
X-Offender
Corriere della Sera suggesting today that the solution may be keeping Pioli as coach and hiring Ragnick as sporting director. I wholeheartedly embrace the idea.

Besides, despite Pioli's great results, when you think about, the league ends in August and the new season starts in September. Ragnick would have only one month to start from scratch, which is clearly not enough.

The only downside of all this is Maldini's marginalisation. I doubt he'll accept an ambassador role and he'll probably just leave. Which sucks big time. Not that I care about Paolo's results as sporting director, I care about Paolo as a figure. He is after all the greatest legend this club has ever had.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 18 2020, 10:46 PM) *
How is that hysterical?? blink.gif

Please give me one instance since the 2012 season (when Ibra, Thiago and the old guard left) that we've played so well for such a long stretch of games

Do you actually not remember Montella that had us in was it first? Second? We were great for a while under him.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 19 2020, 03:15 PM) *
Do you actually not remember Montella that had us in was it first? Second? We were great for a while under him.

I disagree. We've had decent spells under Montella, Gattuso, Mihajlovic, almost under every coach. But we've never been this good and consistent since 2012. I just hope it's not another phase.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 19 2020, 06:31 PM) *
I disagree. We've had decent spells under Montella, Gattuso, Mihajlovic, almost under every coach. But we've never been this good and consistent since 2012. I just hope it's not another phase.

Funny that, could have sworn you slaughtered the garbage out there v Spal on the 1st.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 19 2020, 09:07 PM) *
Funny that, could have sworn you slaughtered the garbage out there v Spal on the 1st.

Here we go again... 6 wins (3 vs Roma, Lazio and Juventus) and 2 draws (one vs Napoli away), 25 goals scored, best run in the league post-lockdown, some great performances, and you wanna grab onto one bad game? Yes, we did play badly vs SPAL, hence we didn't win in the first place. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.