Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A 2019/2020 season
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 1 2019, 05:53 PM) *
No, that was not what I meant. But out of the three Gazidis is the one with experience and he's the expensive acquisition. And right now his rule of signing youngsters and talents isn't exactly helping, especially in Serie A.

Why would anyone be motivated to target EL after this seasons decision to forfeit our spot? The same will probably happen next year as well.

Oh and don't get me even started on how superior the Galliani management was. Don't you see that this is exactly how we got here in the first place? Sorry, Milan becoming the club of today must be one of the biggest falls in football history for sure. In the last 20 years, perhaps even more.

Gazidis was brought in to make sure Milan are put on a path of self sustainability; his record at Arsenal speaks volumes as they are by far the best club in that regard.

The club forfeited EL in a settlement agreement with UEFA to wash away previous seasons FFP breaches. Doesnít mean it is the flavor of the management to forfeit the same every season. And if it does happen next year as well, assuming Milan does qualify, then it will be as another settlement whereby Milan had breached FFP again.

Im sorry, Galliani to-date is the best director Milan had. FFP was introduced in 2011/12 season IIRC and was first brought to the attention of clubs for adherence in 2009. At that time Milan had been running losses year on year and its Revenues were on a constant decline. So if your memory of Galliani was from 2009 onwards then obviously you would view him in such negative light. Limited funds and an inflated transfer market dominated by free spending EPL clubs shoved Milan right out of competition to sign top players. My memory of Galliani was in constructing super teams, the ones that made us fall in love with the club.

How we got here in the first place? Well that is down to several factors. But the main culprit is FFP. Without FFP Milan would still be making losses but signed the best of the best.

Today the club is serious about self sustainability. But the onfield issues are Maldini and Bobans scope whom are doing a splendid job you say? But ofcourse its all Gallianis doing isnt it;/

X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 1 2019, 04:41 PM) *
I'm sorry, but 2012's decision to sell and release our entire squad is why we're in this mess now.

It's not any more complicated. I said back in 2011 we needed to consolidate our Scudetto with some serious signings. Instead we got SAS and Mexes. It's just been degradation since then.

I wholeheartedly agree. We had built a solid foundation, just won the Scudetto, but instead of getting stronger, we practically stayed as we were. And next summer then we sold everyone. Catastrophic.
X-Offender
Gazzetta claiming that there's the possibility of seeing Rebic-Leao-Suso against Genoa, with Piatek on the bench.

If Giampaolo also plays Paqueta instead of Calhanoglu, we might have a shot of finally playing our best formation and see whether we can get anywhere with it or not.
Fillipo Simone
Meaning he'll stay until December and then get sacked. Great.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 1 2019, 03:01 PM) *
Galliani's short-sightedness brought us in this mess. He's the main culprit for wasting club funds on useless players, extending inflated contracts to declining players, and not coming up with a business plan that would keep us strong in the medium to long run. I'm marvelled that there are people who still defend that buffoon.

Agreed

QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 1 2019, 04:41 PM) *
I'm sorry, but 2012's decision to sell and release our entire squad is why we're in this mess now.

It's not any more complicated. I said back in 2011 we needed to consolidate our Scudetto with some serious signings. Instead we got SAS and Mexes. It's just been degradation since then.

I actually think the downward slide started before then. 2006 was that year imo. in 2007 we won a CL that was won thanks to Kaka having a superhuman season and some of the vets having a renaissance (in the CL mind you, we were bad in the league that season). But the squad during that time was already going through a major decline with most of the players starting to get older.

In 2010 we brought in a super boost in the form of Zlatan, but the supporting cast was still mostly the same as it had been in 2007 only 3/4 years older. The summer after we won the Scudetto, we again failed to address the issues that were clear to see but were hidden by Zlatan's amazing performances, and to add insult to injury, the following summer we sold off the 2 most important players that were key in covering up those flaws. Add to that, the slew of legends that retired, players who Galliani knew were on their last legs but never bothered to bring in players who could take the mantle from them. And thus came the downfall.

Galliani was shortsighted and too emotionally invested in certain players. Not to mention his terribly bad decisions when it came to contract extensions and signing free transfers. All of which led to where we are today. I mean, how can anyone forget that up until this summer we were still paying big money to players that were brought in by Galliani that never played

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Oct 1 2019, 06:03 PM) *
Gazidis was brought in to make sure Milan are put on a path of self sustainability; his record at Arsenal speaks volumes as they are by far the best club in that regard.

The club forfeited EL in a settlement agreement with UEFA to wash away previous seasons FFP breaches. Doesn’t mean it is the flavor of the management to forfeit the same every season. And if it does happen next year as well, assuming Milan does qualify, then it will be as another settlement whereby Milan had breached FFP again.

Im sorry, Galliani to-date is the best director Milan had. FFP was introduced in 2011/12 season IIRC and was first brought to the attention of clubs for adherence in 2009. At that time Milan had been running losses year on year and its Revenues were on a constant decline. So if your memory of Galliani was from 2009 onwards then obviously you would view him in such negative light. Limited funds and an inflated transfer market dominated by free spending EPL clubs shoved Milan right out of competition to sign top players. My memory of Galliani was in constructing super teams, the ones that made us fall in love with the club.

How we got here in the first place? Well that is down to several factors. But the main culprit is FFP. Without FFP Milan would still be making losses but signed the best of the best.

Today the club is serious about self sustainability. But the onfield issues are Maldini and Bobans scope whom are doing a splendid job you say? But ofcourse its all Gallianis doing isnt it;/

Disagree

The fact that we had those financial problems even before FFP tells you all that needs to be said re Galliani and his management. Not just in the footballing sense, but business wise as well

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 1 2019, 08:05 PM) *
I wholeheartedly agree. We had built a solid foundation, just won the Scudetto, but instead of getting stronger, we practically stayed as we were. And next summer then we sold everyone. Catastrophic.

I actually disagree a bit there.

Our entire foundation was based on Thiago, Zlatan and a slew of old legends that were retiring within a season. That is not a solid foundation.

Had we really had a solid foundation, the sale of Thiago and Zlatan would not have had the ripple effects that it had. Teams lose great players every summer and carry on. We just crumbled after that, and that is because there was no supporting cast or even a plan to bring one in
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 3 2019, 03:58 PM) *
I actually disagree a bit there.

Our entire foundation was based on Thiago, Zlatan and a slew of old legends that were retiring within a season. That is not a solid foundation.

Had we really had a solid foundation, the sale of Thiago and Zlatan would not have had the ripple effects that it had. Teams lose great players every summer and carry on. We just crumbled after that, and that is because there was no supporting cast or even a plan to bring one in

Thiago and Ibra were the solid foundation I'm talking about. Then we had guys like Mexes, Abate, Nocerino, Boateng, Cassano, Robinho, and let's not forget Pato. Had we not sold Ibra and Thiago, and replaced Nesta, Zambrotta, Van Bommel and Seedorf with decent players, we would have still made a challenge for the Scudetto. But we let go of everyone and here we are now. A mid-table team. Thanks to Galliani.
CrazyMilanFan
any chance of sacking of our coach yet? havent followed anything or last 2 3 weeks
X-Offender
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Oct 4 2019, 12:31 PM) *
any chance of sacking of our coach yet? havent followed anything or last 2 3 weeks

Nope. He's very confirmed at the moment.
X-Offender
It's funny how before the Fiorentina game Giampaolo was so positive in his interviews, always saying the usual BS about the team improving etc. Yet after one defeat now his press conferences are completely the opposite. That we have to get out of this moment together, that in time we'll improve blah blah.

One thing struck me in particular:

Journalist - Why did we get to this point? Why is Milan at this crossroads?
Giampaolo - "A situation that no one expected. But now we're in it and we have to get out of it. Maybe we've done something wrong."

No one expected??? By no one you mean only you, my dear Giampaolo. And maybe Maldini and Boban as well. Cos the majority of fans were very disappointed after the transfer window closed.
Danny
biggrin.gif 'maybe we've done something wrong'

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

YA THINK?!?!?!
X-Offender
If there's one word that best describes Giampaolo that word is APATHY.
CrazyMilanFan
So we sometimes won today
han2503
Didn't watch it.

Anyone did? And if so how were we today? Still terrible?
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 5 2019, 10:11 PM) *
Didn't watch it.

Anyone did? And if so how were we today? Still terrible?

Watched the first half - we were terrible. But would never have seen Reina make an error like that in a million years.

I'm typing this without actually knowing the final score.

And I'll post.

Then edit if need be.

Ah yeah, forgot Saponara was red carded. We won against 10 men. Congrats!
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 5 2019, 10:24 PM) *
Watched the first half - we were terrible. But would never have seen Reina make an error like that in a million years.

I'm typing this without actually knowing the final score.

And I'll post.

Then edit if need be.

Ah yeah, forgot Saponara was red carded. We won against 10 men. Congrats!

Saponara didnít even play. tongue.gif

Didnít watch it either, just the goals. Reinaís howler was horrific, but he saved the penalty in the 93rd minute.

Also, glad we won after Giampaolo took off Calhanoglu and Piatek for Paqueta and Leao. Maybe heíll understand something now.

Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 6 2019, 06:53 AM) *
Saponara didnít even play. tongue.gif

Didnít watch it either, just the goals. Reinaís howler was horrific, but he saved the penalty in the 93rd minute.

Also, glad we won after Giampaolo took off Calhanoglu and Piatek for Paqueta and Leao. Maybe heíll understand something now.

They showed an up close of Saponara bang on half time and a red card. I just assumed?
han2503
We apparently also got another red card. This probably makes us the most carded team in the league so far. Playing like actual relegation contenders
X-Offender
Mediaset reporting that Giampaolo's position is being evaluated by the club. Apparently Boban wants him out, but Paolo is insisting we continue with him. Massara wants Ruid Garcia.

Damn it Paolo!
Danny
Who was it who said they were feeling reassured with these two clowns in charge?

With all due respect, being a great player does not mean anything.
X-Offender
Elliot have full faith in Boban and Maldini. They are convinced they've chosen the best possible management team.

As for Giampaolo's replacement, the name will come from a shortlist of four names: Spalletti, Garcia, Ranieri and Pioli, in that order.

Link
han2503
According to Di Marzio we're pushing for Spaletti but there is an issue with the severance package he has to agree with Inter.

At this rate we should just pay the difference. It would be worth it if we can salvage something out of this season, and this is the perfect time to change the coach with the break coming up. We absolutely cannot come back from the NT break with Giampaolo still in charge

Spaletti should be the only option from that shortlist. All the other would be inadequate

Also, there were reports that we were not willing to pay the wages Spaletti is demanding, and if our budget for a coach is 2m per season, then we deserve the likes of Giampaolo and mid-table mediocrity. Inter are paying Conte 10m net per season. That is the asking price for a top level coach, and we're playing around with 2m
X-Offender
Looks like we're going after Pioli. Fucking Pioli! I am speechless. As if Giampaolo wasn't enough, we have two settle with another mediocre coach?

I really hope Garcia is still an option. He's the only one worth considering at this point. Otherwise, just stick with Giampaolo and squander this season to the gutter. Pioli won't change a damn thing.
X-Offender
Looks like Pioli is a done deal.

I have no words. Boban and Maldini can go f*ck themselves. Maldini especially is tarnishing his status as a Milan legend. Why Paolo, why...
Fillipo Simone
I don't think we have many options on the table. Don't know why Garcia disappeared from the rumors, while Spalletti wanted a longer contract (2022) and was too expensive.
Fillipo Simone
Oh, also on the Genoa match. I watched it, once again we played a horrible match. Calabria is having a nightmare season so far (red carded again) while Duarte seems like another junk player we'll be begging to get rid of.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 8 2019, 09:23 AM) *
I don't think we have many options on the table. Don't know why Garcia disappeared from the rumors, while Spalletti wanted a longer contract (2022) and was too expensive.

The issue with Spalletti is that he's still bound with Inter, which earns him 4.5 million per year for the next two years. If he was to sign a contract with us, he'd have to rescind with Inter. But he wanted a severance pay of one year's salary, and Inter were not willing to pay him.

A matter of principle for Inter, Spalletti apparently is very angry with them and there's a lot of tension betwene the two parties.

Hence why we opted for Pioli. But my question is: why not Ranieri or Garcia instead? Pioli is just another Giampaolo.
X-Offender
Anyway, I'm still happy we got rid of Giampaolo. That's what you get for being a stubborn mule.
Rossoneri7
Maldini and Boban = Clowns.

Milan into the abyss.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 8 2019, 10:19 AM) *
Anyway, I'm still happy we got rid of Giampaolo. That's what you get for being a stubborn mule.

Not his fault at all. It was the two morons who appointed a midtable mediocre coach.

What's happening is what the management instructs. Appoint a turd as manager and a turd you get.

This club is headed to Serie B.
Danny
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Oct 8 2019, 02:00 PM) *
Maldini and Boban = Clowns.

Milan into the abyss.

Yup. I can't honestly say I support this club any more. I follow its fortunes, but the soul was ripped out long ago and it's a total clusterf*ck of an operation now.

I enjoy the chat on here, but the Milan we all grew up with is gone, probably for good, and it's been replaced by a satirical tribute act.

With a f*ckme terrible shirt.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 8 2019, 10:12 AM) *
The issue with Spalletti is that he's still bound with Inter, which earns him 4.5 million per year for the next two years. If he was to sign a contract with us, he'd have to rescind with Inter. But he wanted a severance pay of one year's salary, and Inter were not willing to pay him.

A matter of principle for Inter, Spalletti apparently is very angry with them and there's a lot of tension betwene the two parties.

Hence why we opted for Pioli. But my question is: why not Ranieri or Garcia instead? Pioli is just another Giampaolo.

Ranieri:

Horrific coach. Absolutely rubbish at Chelsea, Roma and every meaningful club at a high level. Rubbish at Leicester - it was his assistant Craig Shakespeare who really won that league for them, and it was also a total freak (he couldn't repeat it as manager). Telling that Ranieri has been trash at every club before and since Leicester won the league, and including the season there after that. Jose Mourinho was dead right about this guy.

Garcia:

Good coach. Therefore not one Milan would realistically go for.
Rossoneri7
Apparently Pioli signed for Milan.

Can Milan go any lower?
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 8 2019, 05:20 PM) *
Yup. I can't honestly say I support this club any more. I follow its fortunes, but the soul was ripped out long ago and it's a total clusterf*ck of an operation now.

I enjoy the chat on here, but the Milan we all grew up with is gone, probably for good, and it's been replaced by a satirical tribute act.

With a f*ckme terrible shirt.

These baboons used to mock Silvio and Galliani... Now they are in management they need not try any harder they are doing a fine job of tarnishing their image in my eyes. The image of legendary players.

I can't stand this team, I'm actually disappointed at myself for renewing my subscription for Serie A this season.

I don't think I follow this team either, my heart is not in it anymore.
X-Offender
It's true, actually. There was a front page of Maldini five years ago on Gazzetta with huge captions "They are destroying my Milan" referring to Silvio and Galliani.

Well, Paolo, looks like you're doing a fine job yourself.

It's sad, really, that we have to point fingers at such club legends. But after many, many, many years of mediocrity, while Inter are getting back on their feet, we are plummeting to such low levels that it's become unbearable anymore.
han2503
I think you guys are directing your blame at Paolo and Boban because they are the faces, but they have to work within the budget that Elliot + Gazidis set.

If they cannot sign player X or Y or coach X or Y due to salary and/or transfer fee it is because the budget limits them.

I'm not saying I'm happy with this or that I think it's a good decision at all, but I'm sure both are learning fast that it's easy to talk and judge from a cushy pundit position, but much harder to operate within such confines.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 8 2019, 08:10 PM) *
I think you guys are directing your blame at Paolo and Boban because they are the faces, but they have to work within the budget that Elliot + Gazidis set.

If they cannot sign player X or Y or coach X or Y due to salary and/or transfer fee it is because the budget limits them.

I'm not saying I'm happy with this or that I think it's a good decision at all, but I'm sure both are learning fast that it's easy to talk and judge from a cushy pundit position, but much harder to operate within such confines.

First of all, I do blame Paolo and Boban because Giampaolo was their choice. If you want to rebuild and get back to success, you don't start from Giampaolo. It was a risky bet, and they lost it. Hence, they're responsible. Just as they're responsible for conducting a mercato without logic or direction.

Secondly, we can't afford to learn at this moment. So, blame goes to Elliot for replacing an experienced director such as Leonardo with Boban. We need certainty. What has Gazidis even been doing all this time? Aside from earning the big bucks, that is.
Fillipo Simone
Agree with both of you.

But sorry, my blame on Mladini and Boban goes to a certain point. One has to understand that it was indeed Berlusconi and Galliani who destroyed Milan in the first place with their reckless and antiquated handling of the club and lastly their sale of the club to a shady Chinese businessman.

This is how we got there. Maldini and Boban are club legends who agreed to work under these dire and complicated conditions. Could they done better? Sure, especially in terms of manager selection and summer signings. But let's be honest guys: apart from me most of you saw the team stronger then last year, prepared for battling the 4th spot (even more?) and were fine with Giampaolo. Heck, even the media praised Giampaolo and made some believe he's some kind of tactical genius?

The mistake was to punish Leonardo for last season and remove him from the management as his signings and decisions weren't half as bad (maybe expensive though). So this blaming game goes far more then just stating two of our club legends our idiots.
Fillipo Simone
As for Pioli, I'm also disappointed. But he got a contract for 1 million plus the 1.5 we're paying Giampaolo. It's obvious we couldn't afford anyone - not even Spalletti, especially not Mourinho etc. Let's be realistic, who would accept to come to Milan for a miserable salary in this even more miserable situation?
X-Offender
The team is definitely stronger than last season, on paper. It's basically the same players plus a bunch of useful ones like Hernandez, Bennacer, Rebic and Leao.

But mind you, on paper. In practice, we're much worse than last season. Which goes to show you what a terrible job Giamapolo has done, or what an incredible job Rino did last season.

It's hard to say which, really. I personally think that with a good manager we might have a shot, but Pioli certainly isn't that manager, so down the drain goes this season well...
William405
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 9 2019, 12:28 AM) *
Agree with both of you.

But sorry, my blame on Mladini and Boban goes to a certain point. One has to understand that it was indeed Berlusconi and Galliani who destroyed Milan in the first place with their reckless and antiquated handling of the club and lastly their sale of the club to a shady Chinese businessman.

This is how we got there. Maldini and Boban are club legends who agreed to work under these dire and complicated conditions. Could they done better? Sure, especially in terms of manager selection and summer signings. But let's be honest guys: apart from me most of you saw the team stronger then last year, prepared for battling the 4th spot (even more?) and were fine with Giampaolo. Heck, even the media praised Giampaolo and made some believe he's some kind of tactical genius?

The mistake was to punish Leonardo for last season and remove him from the management as his signings and decisions weren't half as bad (maybe expensive though). So this blaming game goes far more then just stating two of our club legends our idiots.

Agreed. Let's play the blame game all you want..it isn't going to improve our situation.

I think everyone is stating one part of the truth here. But, the complete story has never been clearer.

There is chaos in our management. Elliott see Milan as a short-mid term investment. Paolo and Boban clearly don't see it the same way. The problem after is that they both don't agree with each other in all matters. (which can be healthy to a certain point)

Then, comes this Gazidis guy (who I don't like at all) with outrageous statements. Clearly, he thinks the premier league is the best, and we suck..so I don't see how his mentality will work well for us.

The coach, Giamp, is maybe to blame, okay. But, he had a certain vision of football and it might have been interesting for Milan. The real problem is he will never be a big time coach. He doesn't have the nerves or the character for it. But, this, you can't know before you give him a try at a big club. Some have flourished when put in big occasions, but clearly not him.

What we needed in big words is ESTABLISHED everything. Established players, established management and an established coach. We have rookies on every level of this football club. How can we expect it to ever work?

I'm not against Maldini staying, but we can't have a management with just beginners. We need a leader, someone like Galliani in the good old days.

We need a known coach who can deliver. At least to take us to Champion's league places.

We need established players..players with experience who have been there..done that. Here, we have honestly a group of young players. I think some of them will turn out to be great players. But, we need players who are great now.

Good night..

Danny
QUOTE (William405 @ Oct 8 2019, 11:45 PM) *
There is chaos in our management.

Yes, for the past near-decade.

It's absurd how poorly Milan are run, and how bad the decisions at every level of management continue to be.

Question for all of you - genuine - will you still follow this team in Serie B with having lost our 'best' players and possibly sliding down to Serie C?

Now, I'm a Rangers fan and I've had a four-year nightmare in the lower divisions, but we're now top of the table and should be top of our Europa group (group of death with Feyenoord, Young Boys and Porto) so I know what it is to slide to the bottom and the joy of rising back.

But could this generation of Rossoneri cope with it (after all it happened 40 years ago too).
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 8 2019, 08:25 PM) *
First of all, I do blame Paolo and Boban because Giampaolo was their choice. If you want to rebuild and get back to success, you don't start from Giampaolo. It was a risky bet, and they lost it. Hence, they're responsible. Just as they're responsible for conducting a mercato without logic or direction.

Secondly, we can't afford to learn at this moment. So, blame goes to Elliot for replacing an experienced director such as Leonardo with Boban. We need certainty. What has Gazidis even been doing all this time? Aside from earning the big bucks, that is.

I never said they were blameless, but it is obvious that they are restricted, and when you are restricted to a 2m annual salary for a coach, then Giampaolo is the level that you get

So we can put all the blame we want for them picking Giampaolo specifically, but it really doesn't make much difference. 2m is not going to get you anyone better. Simple as that really

As for the summer signings. Once again, they had to work within tight confines. We signed some very interesting players imo. Players you had previously thought were enough for us to get 4th. And I still think that from my end. They just need to be coached properly. Both from a tactical point of view as well as a physical one. Because right now it's obvious that they are not only without any tactical clue, but they're also lacking greatly in fitness levels.

Rino took a worse team to within a point of 4th. So it's obvious that the ability is there, but these players have never been guided by a proper coach their entire time at Milan. I don't think Pioli will change that but we'll just have to wait and see it out

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 8 2019, 10:28 PM) *
Agree with both of you.

But again, when the budget restrict you to such an extent, you're going to be very limited in the choices you can make. We have a budget for the coach that is on par with the bottom half of the table. So let that sink in.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 8 2019, 10:30 PM) *
As for Pioli, I'm also disappointed. But he got a contract for 1 million plus the 1.5 we're paying Giampaolo. It's obvious we couldn't afford anyone - not even Spalletti, especially not Mourinho etc. Let's be realistic, who would accept to come to Milan for a miserable salary in this even more miserable situation?

You know, I really thought we'd actually have a proper budget allocated to the coaching staff. But apparently not. @The fact that even now they won't release more funds to sign at least Spaletti says it all

QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 9 2019, 02:34 AM) *
Yes, for the past near-decade.

It's absurd how poorly Milan are run, and how bad the decisions at every level of management continue to be.

Question for all of you - genuine - will you still follow this team in Serie B with having lost our 'best' players and possibly sliding down to Serie C?

Now, I'm a Rangers fan and I've had a four-year nightmare in the lower divisions, but we're now top of the table and should be top of our Europa group (group of death with Feyenoord, Young Boys and Porto) so I know what it is to slide to the bottom and the joy of rising back.

But could this generation of Rossoneri cope with it (after all it happened 40 years ago too).

I don't see Milan going down that far

But I do see this club fading into mid-table obscurity. And the longer this goes on, the harder it will be for the club to claw it's way back. Out generation of fans grew up with Sheva, Pirlo, Seedorf, Paolo, Nesta, Rino, etc. The older ones like my dad grew up with Rijkaard, Van Baster, Baresi, Paolo and Gullit. Who do the current generation of fans have to inspire them? Suso? laugh.gif I'm afraid that kids these days won't even know Milan, certainly not as a big club. All the kids today follow the clubs that are in the CL. The only young Milan fans are that due to their family supporting the club, so the fanbase right now is still big, but as things keep going the way they are that will dwindle fast, and having the big fanbase is still crucial to us if we want to crawl out of the hole we've been digging ourselves in for years now. But once that's gone, it will be practically impossible for us to get back to where we once were
X-Offender
I don't buy it that we don't have the proper budget for a coach. The fact we went after Spalletti is proof of that. And besides, there are other better coaches out there than Giampaolo who would come for the cheap. Rudi Garcia, for example, whose salary at Marseille was 2.5M. Or we could have tried to lure in someone like Ten Hag. I mean, there are options, we just went after the easiest (and most mediocre) one.
Fillipo Simone
You say we are stronger on paper... but I doubt that as well. I'm so perplexed with you guys not acknowledging how massive Bakayoko was for us last season. Maybe his off field stupidity got to you. But fact is that he was IMO the crucial ingredient for last seasons "success". Now see how we struggle with the faded Biglia and the not-so impressive Bennacer (to be fair, the kid deserves more time).

So no, I really don't think we're that much stronger on paper. You have a fixation with Rodriguez but the point is, a leftback won't make the difference to end up 4th or 5th. And here is something which is bothering me for quite some time... we are all speaking of Milan as a club with limited resources. Yet this summer we managed to spend 100M on transfers (including Kessie). My question remains: couldn't we have sacrificed Duarte, Hernandez, Krunić and even the seemingly good Leao - and sign one or two classy players? Sign someone who adds value?

IMO we make two mistakes over and over again. Firstly we never seem to care who takes over as coach and always settle for the easy and unimaginative solution (bar Montella). And secondly we spent a lot of money for quantity players and not even once considered "stay as we are" and adding a drop of quality into the bunch.
X-Offender
Saying Bakayoko was massive for us last season is a huge overstatement. He was mostly good, but that's it. And saying we're weaker than last season because he left, I think you're just lying to yourself.

We are stronger, that's a fact, but sometimes it's not just a matter of players, but also of mentality, tactics and so on. Gattuso lit a fire in some of these players, and that worked to a certain extent. But Giamapolo failed in everything, hence why we're doing much worse this season.
Fillipo Simone
Well, we disagree. I stand by my opinion that Bakayoko was crucial. Surely he wasn't Ronaldo or Messi, but in a different sense he made the system work like no other player could (Kessie, Biglia, etc.). I think we're having the same trouble here: we lack a competent DM who gives the team security and makes the game flow and we lack the creative trequartista. Now that we'll again play a 4-2-3-1 this trequartista talk is irrelevant, but we'll still lack the DM. Biglia is pretty much useless and completely unstable, Bennacer is just too inexperienced while Kessie is... well he's Kessie. Ideal for small teams.
X-Offender
How can you say that Bennacer is inexperienced? We're strictly talking about Serie A here, and the guy has two years of experience with Empoli under his belt. Not to mention he's played many games with his NT. The guy is 21, not 17.

He needs to be given continuous playing time. This Biglia fixation (from our coaches, not from you) has to be put to rest. The guy is as good as Montolivo at this stage of his career.
Fillipo Simone
Agreed on Biglia. But Bennacer is clearly inexperienced, you can tell easily by his disastrous performances. Hadn't it been for Calhanoglou he would have been the worst player against Fiorentina. Most of the responsibility lies on Giampaolo who had no real clue, but my expectations regarding Bennacer now are minimal. Perhaps his experience with Empoli trying to avoid relegation will now come handy.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 10 2019, 03:52 PM) *
Agreed on Biglia. But Bennacer is clearly inexperienced, you can tell easily by his disastrous performances. Hadn't it been for Calhanoglou he would have been the worst player against Fiorentina. Most of the responsibility lies on Giampaolo who had no real clue, but my expectations regarding Bennacer now are minimal. Perhaps his experience with Empoli trying to avoid relegation will now come handy.

Disastrous performances??? I'm sorry, you're basing your judgment on one game where EVERYONE was complete and utter rubbish. He was decent against Brescia and Torino. And that's it. He hasn't played any other games.

Let's not jump the gun here, Fillipo. I know you're skpetical about everything in our current situation, but I can assure you Bennacer is a very valid player. Take my word for it.
Fillipo Simone
Well, if you say so. But right now we need a solid and confident DM like Bakayoko used to be. I don't think Bennacer is suited for that role right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.