Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nigel De Jong appointed new captain
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Danny
Can't post this in news so...

Monto's been demoted and Miha's made De Jong the new captain.

Couldn't be more pleased. The correct decision. De Jong has been leading the team for two years anyway.

Monto's a fraud and this move might see him fade from first-team affairs entirely.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 31 2015, 12:58 PM) *
Can't post this in news so...

Monto's been demoted and Miha's made De Jong the new captain.

Couldn't be more pleased. The correct decision. De Jong has been leading the team for two years anyway.

Monto's a fraud and this move might see him fade from first-team affairs entirely.

Was this an actual news report?

I think if anyone was going to take over as captain it would be Abate...

Or is this mostly coming from the fact that De Jong was captain in the friendlies and the media is writing the narrative based on that?
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 31 2015, 01:31 PM) *
Was this an actual news report?

I think if anyone was going to take over as captain it would be Abate...

Or is this mostly coming from the fact that De Jong was captain in the friendlies and the media is writing the narrative based on that?

Nope, it's being reported. I forget who from.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 31 2015, 02:49 PM) *
Nope, it's being reported. I forget who from.

Don't know then if it is realiable.

I think it's mostly coming from the fact that De Jong has been captain in the ICC. However, they're failing to note that Miha has so far used both Monto and De Jong interchangeably and not together in the midfield. And when Monto takes over the position he also takes the armband (unless Abbiati comes on before him)

Also, I don't think it's simply up to the coach to decide who's captain at Milan, it comes from the management as well. So it would probably have to be a unanimous decision for Miha to remove Monto's captaincy.

I think it's too early to tell anyway, once the season get's underway we'll know for sure.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 31 2015, 03:59 PM) *
Don't know then if it is realiable.

I think it's mostly coming from the fact that De Jong has been captain in the ICC. However, they're failing to note that Miha has so far used both Monto and De Jong interchangeably and not together in the midfield. And when Monto takes over the position he also takes the armband (unless Abbiati comes on before him)

Also, I don't think it's simply up to the coach to decide who's captain at Milan, it comes from the management as well. So it would probably have to be a unanimous decision for Miha to remove Monto's captaincy.

I think it's too early to tell anyway, once the season get's underway we'll know for sure.

They both played together yesterday and De Jong kept the armband.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 31 2015, 04:01 PM) *
They both played together yesterday and De Jong kept the armband.

Haven't yet gotten to that bit yet in Real's game (about to start watching the 2nd half)

If he had it on at the start, which he did, he wouldn't give it to someone else. It never really works that way. Did De Jong come off? And if so who did he give it to?
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 31 2015, 05:06 PM) *
Haven't yet gotten to that bit yet in Real's game (about to start watching the 2nd half)

If he had it on at the start, which he did, he wouldn't give it to someone else. It never really works that way. Did De Jong come off? And if so who did he give it to?

He didn't come off.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 31 2015, 06:46 PM) *
He didn't come off.

Yep, saw that.

Well that explains why he was the captain though. A player simply doesn't hand over the armband to another player unless he comes off.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 31 2015, 07:56 PM) *
Yep, saw that.

Well that explains why he was the captain though. A player simply doesn't hand over the armband to another player unless he comes off.

I've seen that happen many times.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 1 2015, 12:04 AM) *
I've seen that happen many times.

Never for us, I'm sure.

There were times in the past were Sheva had the armband and Paolo came on and Sheva still kept it.

And really, can't recall seeing it happen with other teams either. Usually the player who has the armband keeps it until he comes off, even if the team captain comes on...
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 1 2015, 07:42 AM) *
Never for us, I'm sure.

There were times in the past were Sheva had the armband and Paolo came on and Sheva still kept it.

And really, can't recall seeing it happen with other teams either. Usually the player who has the armband keeps it until he comes off, even if the team captain comes on...

Seen Monto take the armband off Bonera more than once.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 1 2015, 10:45 AM) *
Seen Monto take the armband off Bonera more than once.

I seriously can't recall that ever happening. Not unless Bonera himself is coming off.

Anyway, we'll see what happens once the season starts. You really can't tell much in these friendlies.

And like I said, if Monto were to be stripped of the captaincy, I would imagine Abate would be next in line for it...
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 1 2015, 10:44 AM) *
I seriously can't recall that ever happening. Not unless Bonera himself is coming off.

Anyway, we'll see what happens once the season starts. You really can't tell much in these friendlies.

And like I said, if Monto were to be stripped of the captaincy, I would imagine Abate would be next in line for it...

Mihajlovic reportedly confirmed it last night.

Abate will not receive it anyway - and neither do I want him to.
X-Offender
Do you want Monto to keep his armband, Han?
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 1 2015, 12:58 PM) *
Mihajlovic reportedly confirmed it last night.

Abate will not receive it anyway - and neither do I want him to.

Read nothing like that, will check out the sites I usually go to.

Abate was even the one who got the armband in the first 2 friendlies ahead of De Jong.

And I thought he did a good job last season when he got it, certainly better than Monto
Rossoneri7
Good news, now out with Monto king.gif
han2503
Miha: 'Milan at least top three'

Sinisa Mihajlovic said Milan can aim higher than top three with two new buys and sniped at Pippo Inzaghi. “I brought back desire to work.”

The new Coach sat down with La Gazzetta dello Sport for a lengthy interview after the tour of China, which saw them beat Inter 1-0 and lose to Real Madrid on penalties.

“So far it’s positive because we started from scratch changing players, tactics and our working methods. We are putting the right elements in the right places with regards to style of football and behaviour. We have taken the right path and will be ready when the games that really matter come along.

“I don’t feel the pressure, as if anything I relish more responsibility and bring the best out of myself. I am not afraid to take risks and face certain challenges. I live to face and win them.

“Our main objective is to finish in the top three, but with the squad we’ve got, if we are able to sign another two players then we could aim even higher. I won’t name names…”

The primary targets are Roma defender Alessio Romagnoli and Paris Saint-Germain hitman Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Mihajlovic explained his working methods and why he often delegates tactical issues to assistant Emilio De Leo.

“I am not so presumptuous as to assume I can do everything better than anyone else. Having a great staff improves me and the team. I learned certain things when I travelled to study Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp and Arsene Wenger.

“There are some training sessions when the Head Coach needs to be present and others when the collaborators should be given space. Klopp had a very good assistant who told me ‘he’s the best Coach in the world, but he could never do my work.’

“I want my staff to feel happy, so for example I leave all the fitness work to Bovenzi. In our group everyone knows what they need to do and relish responsibility.”

Mihajlovic is known as a very tough task-master in training and discussed his approach.

“In every situation the players must know what they are supposed to be doing. I will never get angry for a missed goal, but I would be furious if they don’t do what we agreed. When players step on to the pitch, 80 per cent of what they do is agreed beforehand and the other 20 per cent is adapting to the opponent.

“In moments of difficulty, you mustn’t lose your heads, but follow the principles of the football. We must be organised and know what we want.

“The strikers must be the first defenders, tracking back to midfield and sacrificing themselves. After the centre-circle, the others can take care of it.”

Carlos Bacca and Luiz Adriano are both new to Serie A, so can they co-exist?

“Great players speak the same language and understand each other. The only problems emerge when one is great and the other poor, but we don’t have that issue. They know the movements to follow, but are also free to express their talent and seek alternative solutions.”

Sinisa had harsh words for predecessor Inzaghi when talking about his training methods.

“The fundamental thing was bringing back the desire to work in these players. Anyone at Milan must give their all and leave the pitch with heads held high. It is their duty. That’s easy to say, less to do.

“When I played, my national team was full of talent, but we never won anything because everyone just did what they wanted. I am here to help these players understand that mistake before it’s too late. Talent will never beat rules. The right behaviour leads to victory, the wrong to defeat.

“Above all, if I demand respect and fairness, I must be the first to give that to my players too. So far I really can’t complain about their training.

“Nobody must feel they are first team picks and those who don’t play regularly have to make life difficult for me in training or the small portions of a game. If they want to talk to me, my door is always open. I have no problems, but I treat everyone equally.”

Milan make their season debut away to Fiorentina, a familiar stadium for Mihajlovic.

“Perhaps it’s better, as we certainly can’t underestimate that game. That will never happen anyway, not on my watch. The opening fixtures are always a mystery, so it’s better to focus on work.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Miha's in-depth interview with Gazzetta yesterday, nowhere does he mention the captaincy...
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 1 2015, 12:20 PM) *
Read nothing like that, will check out the sites I usually go to.

Abate was even the one who got the armband in the first 2 friendlies ahead of De Jong.

And I thought he did a good job last season when he got it, certainly better than Monto

tbh the lovechild of you, me, X, Dru and Tennie could do a better job captaining Milan than Monto.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 1 2015, 02:10 PM) *
tbh the lovechild of you, me, X, Dru and Tennie could do a better job captaining Milan than Monto.

That would be an awesome hybrid...
X-Offender
You didn't answer my question, Han.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 1 2015, 03:38 PM) *
You didn't answer my question, Han.

Which one?
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 1 2015, 01:19 PM) *
Do you want Monto to keep his armband, Han?

Ah sorry, totally missed this one among all the other posts.

And no, I don't think he should keep it, never should have gotten it to begin with.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 1 2015, 02:55 PM) *
Ah sorry, totally missed this one among all the other posts.

And no, I don't think he should keep it, never should have gotten it to begin with.

But you don't think it's why he dipped in form after a decent first season?

You did say that repeatedly.
Fillipo Simone
Can't be. He was always average. Also, he used to be Fiorentina captain, so...
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 6 2015, 03:43 PM) *
But you don't think it's why he dipped in form after a decent first season?

You did say that repeatedly.

What me? It was you who always insisted that the captaincy is what effected his form. I never really thought that was it.

I always said with regards to him being captain that it did raise expectations, seeing the guys who preceded him, ones he could never live up to.

I always said that Abate and De Jong (in that order) should have been made captain, especially seeing as Abate is one of our longest serving players and a youth product
milanbuf88
QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 7 2015, 09:01 AM) *
What me? It was you who always insisted that the captaincy is what effected his form. I never really thought that was it.

I always said with regards to him being captain that it did raise expectations, seeing the guys who preceded him, ones he could never live up to.

I always said that Abate and De Jong (in that order) should have been made captain, especially seeing as Abate is one of our longest serving players and a youth product

Being a youth product doesn't necessarily mean that you're suited for the armband. I like Abate a lot as a player. He's incredibly hard working and loyal but I always got the impression that he wasn't all that intelligent.
X-Offender
De Jong is perfect for captain, end of story.
Fillipo Simone
Perfect? Far from it, but the best of the bad options we have.
X-Offender
If Ambrosini was worth it, then so is De Jong, history aside. Actually, I think the latter has far more charisma than Ambro ever had.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 7 2015, 06:11 PM) *
If Ambrosini was worth it, then so is De Jong, history aside. Actually, I think the latter has far more charisma than Ambro ever had.

Who said Ambro was perfect at the first place? Still, Ambrosini was years and years a vice-captain, he wasn't a Milan primavera but the closest thing to that concept and he knew how to excel with the armband. His semifinal goal against PSV in the CL is for example hard to forget.

Now, who knows how de Jong would act under the spell of the armband. Ambro was a hothead himself some times, but the armband made him calmer. Take Rino for example as someone who wasn't fazed by this and embarrassed us several times as Captain with his behavior.

Anyway, the comparison is good. Ambro and de Jong are both introverted players who sometimes turn into hotheads or lose their nerves. That's not exactly what you need in a leader.
X-Offender
I brought Ambro up for that same reason, they're very similar. And Ambro was a fairly decent captain, so I don't see why De Jong can't be too.
Danny
De Jong has led us on the pitch the past 24 months anyway. Being given the armband is as much a formality as it is deserved.
Fillipo Simone
Lead us where exactly?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 7 2015, 11:25 PM) *
Lead us where exactly?

On the pitch.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 7 2015, 10:25 PM) *
Lead us where exactly?

Stop being unreasonable. He's our best candidate for captaincy by a mile and has proven that.
Fillipo Simone
I'm not being unreasonable. It's just that "being the best" out of this squad or "leading us on the pitch" for the last two disastrous seasons means little. I don't think he's captain material, but probably he's the best out of all the other bad choices.
X-Offender
I see no reason why he's not captain material. Contrary to popular belief, he's not a hothead nor a dirty player. He's a rough player, but that's another matter entirely. And at this age, he's matured enough to deserve the armband. What else should he demonstrate to make you think so? He's a holding mid, a destroyer, and he's probably the only one who's done his job in the last couple of years in this club.
Fillipo Simone
I think he is a dirty player and a hothead, but I do respect him. I also think you guys overrate him massively because he's very limited and maybe a gem for squads loaded with spectacular players (Holland). But anyway, it's just my opinion, a minority one.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 8 2015, 03:36 PM) *
I think he is a dirty player and a hothead, but I do respect him. I also think you guys overrate him massively because he's very limited and maybe a gem for squads loaded with spectacular players (Holland). But anyway, it's just my opinion, a minority one.

I sort of agree with you

I've always said that because we do have De Jong as our anchor, the mids at his side should provide a certain level of technical quality/creativity to our midfield

It's why we look so terrible when you lump in a Poli, Muntari, Essien, heck even Bonaventura or Monto next to him

De Jong is a great DM imo, but he's just that, a one dimensional player, and it's why it was so important for us to bring in some much needed quality to play next to him and where we failed so miserably

It's why I still insist that even though Witsel would be a great buy, we need a proper creative CM more
milanbuf88
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 8 2015, 11:36 AM) *

I know that karate kick in the WC looms large and casts a shadow on his career but can you think of a single instance when he was really a hot head or dirty while wearing our shirt? He's a rough player and a heavy tackler but I've never seen him doing anything that was out right dirty while playing for us. This is a bit off topic but I can think of a number of things that Pirlo has done, a player whose "dirtiness" is rarely aknowledged, during that same stretch of time.
X-Offender
We don't overrate him. Yes, his job is very limited. Just win the ball and pass it to the next guy, but he does his job excellently. Can't say the same for the rest of his teammates.
Fillipo Simone
Pirlo? He behaved childish and dirty, I won't ever forget his elbowing and dirty fouls on our team in the first season he left us.

Just like van Bommel, de Jong seems to be constrained here with Milan. But well, a pitbull like him, he has to be dirty from time to time.
Danny
Amazing the cult-esque love Pirlo gets even from the majority of Milan supporters, and none of it is merited.

He's a little sh*t tbh, thoroughly over-rated, and the fact he spent his last three years with us in such mediocre form then basically produced the best of his career at Juve (which was over rated too, stats comparing him with Xavi or Iniesta at Euro 2012 saw the Barca fellas (to name but two) miles out ahead) really annoyed me.

And f*ck sake Andrea, we made you a multimillionaire, did you want a complimentary mansion as a send off present you ungrateful sh*t?

PS: no one, and I mean NO ONE has made any comment about him badmouthing Juve since he left them.

He's an absolute w*nk and I can't stand him.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 8 2015, 06:20 PM) *
We don't overrate him. Yes, his job is very limited. Just win the ball and pass it to the next guy, but he does his job excellently. Can't say the same for the rest of his teammates.

Back on topic, rant over - Nigel de Jong is one of the best DMs on earth and easily the best in Serie A. I also don't think his creativity gets remotely enough credit. Ok we're not talking trequartisa level, but he really does have an eye for a pass now and then and gets forward more than many acknowledge.

He's probably one of the very few in the past few years to actually be genuine Milan class.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 8 2015, 10:48 PM) *
Back on topic, rant over - Nigel de Jong is one of the best DMs on earth and easily the best in Serie A. I also don't think his creativity gets remotely enough credit. Ok we're not talking trequartisa level, but he really does have an eye for a pass now and then and gets forward more than many acknowledge.

He's probably one of the very few in the past few years to actually be genuine Milan class.

I think you overrate him slightly, no doubt he's been our best player for quite some time now (Bacca will most likely put an end to that run though). But De Jong isn't even the best in the league in his position.

And this is really the only Milan forum where he is endlessly praised (me being someone who's also culpable in that). The slag he gets in other forums because he's mostly a sideways/backwards passer is endless, he's oalso constantly slagged for his positioniong.

I personally don't agree with the positioning part, but the passing bit is true, but I accept that because in essance what he is is a pure DM. He's one dimensional, he's great at recovering and making the simple pass, probably one of the best around at that. But overall as a DM, compared to other more modern DMs Nigel has limitations. It's why we should have more dynmic/smart/creative players next to him who can pick the ball up from him and make things happen, and currently we don't have that

Also, you were most likely right about the captaincy. The Monto-Miha apparent bad blood from their past days at Fiorentina will most likely mean that Monto will be on the bench for the majority of next season (we should sell him tbh, and mid-level club would be happy to have him)
Danny
Monto remains club captain. De Jong is team captain till it becomes permanent.

Absurd to leave the captain permanently on the bench. Appoint Nigel FFS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.