han2503
Who: A.C. Milan vs. Atalanta B.C.

Where: Stadio San Siro

When:
18th January 2015 @ 3:00pm CET

Head-to-Head Record

Danny
Allegri Jnr v his old team.

Let's take the tiny glimpse of form from the cup win into this one.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 15 2015, 04:35 PM) *
Allegri Jnr v his old team.

Let's take the tiny glimpse of form from the cup win into this one.

I think if Pippo puts out the right 11 and plays a more attack minded game we'll do well.

If we play like we did vs Toro and Sassuolo, basically like bottom table feeders looking for a draw, we will get that draw or even lose.

For me, unless he's picking Muntari or Essien or Bonera, the players don't really matter all that much, it's how he uses them that's the problem imo.

If he has to play Menez, I'd rather see SES sit and Pazzo in the middle, than Menez as the false 9. I can't stand him in that role

Basically, I want to see something like this

Abate--Mexes--Alex--Armero
Monto--De Jong--Jack
Cerci--Pazzo/SES--Menez/SES
X-Offender
Some reports suggesting we could play 4-2-3-1

Monto - De Jong
Cerci - Menez - SES
Pazzo
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 15 2015, 08:53 PM) *
Some reports suggesting we could play 4-2-3-1

Monto - De Jong
Cerci - Menez - SES
Pazzo

I like this one.
X-Offender
QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ Jan 15 2015, 07:27 PM) *
I like this one.

A bit too unbalanced in my view, but it's better than what we've seen lately.
X-Offender
Here's Mediaset's line-up anyway: Lopez; Abate, Rami, Mexes, Armero; Montolivo, De Jong, Bonaventura; Cerci, Menez, El Shaarawy.
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 15 2015, 09:33 PM) *
A bit too unbalanced in my view, but it's better than what we've seen lately.

If Cerci, Menez and SES contribute on the defense too, I think we can do quite good.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 15 2015, 07:39 PM) *
Here's Mediaset's line-up anyway: Lopez; Abate, Rami, Mexes, Armero; Montolivo, De Jong, Bonaventura; Cerci, Menez, El Shaarawy.

Basically the one I posted but with Rami instead of Alex and Menez in that ridiculous #9 role

I'd rather Pippo just bench SES or play him as a striker than see Menez being played in that position tbh
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 15 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Another match, more rotation. Beyond a joke tbh.
acid911
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 16 2015, 04:35 AM) *
Another match, more rotation. Beyond a joke tbh.

My point since, well, our second official match. sleep.gif We'll never get consistency going this way, when the players know that they will be slided in or taken out, chip chop like this. And it has shown in the results in the first half of the season. Never liked Seedorf too much as a coach, but at least he had the basics right.
Danny
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jan 16 2015, 06:08 AM) *
My point since, well, our second official match. sleep.gif We'll never get consistency going this way, when the players know that they will be slided in or taken out, chip chop like this. And it has shown in the results in the first half of the season. Never liked Seedorf too much as a coach, but at least he had the basics right.

Kind of, he too rotated. Not as ridiculously as this, but he did rotate.

But yes, consistency is impossible while Inzaghi is coach. How can Zapata regain form knowing he will be back out next match. He publicly complained about this. If results were better then yes, he should keep his thoughts private. But with them being this random he's justified in saying it.
acid911
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 16 2015, 07:50 PM) *

Yeah, I guess. smile.gif But with him one had a feeling that he was trying to create a system. The guy had a worse team than this, in that Balotelli was still wreaking havoc on the pitch and off it. Plus, there was the Allegri hangover, and well, on a pound for pound (read person for person) basis, this squad is slightly better.

But like I said, I had my issues with Seedorf, both as a player and as a coach. But at least he had a thought process, some method to madness, and was trying to implement a system. Not learning on the job like Inzaghi. Understandable, one was a midfield maestro, another a simple poacher.

QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 16 2015, 07:50 PM) *
But yes, consistency is impossible while Inzaghi is coach. How can Zapata regain form knowing he will be back out next match. He publicly complained about this. If results were better then yes, he should keep his thoughts private. But with them being this random he's justified in saying it.

Well put. sleep.gif I don't have any hope for long term improvements, at least not this season, as long as Inzaghi is the coach. Miracles can happen, but they should start to happen this week against Atalanta, and for the full 18 rounds of the second half of the season. Don't see no signs of that, and we're just scraping.

Scraping and living week by week, match by match. That's not the way to build a team, a squad, a club. That's why I always have a little chuckle when someone says we are an ongoing project. No signs of a project within a 100 miles radius with this management, this coach and this squad.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 16 2015, 02:50 PM) *

I'm personally p!ssed off that he keeps switching out Alex not Zapata.

Based on form throughout the season; Mexes and Alex have been our most stable and consistent performers. Why keep switching when it's critical that our defence starts working well as a unit? Why drop Alex to play Rami?

Both Rami and Zapata imo have had their good and bad moments this season, neither should be starting ahead of Mexes or Alex if they're fit.
X-Offender
Alex and Mexes would be a very slow pairing. They're not compatible.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 16 2015, 09:30 PM) *

Rami isn't exactly lightning quick either

The only real fast CB we have is Zapata and he comes in with a whole host of issues of his own

Alex and Mexes might not be quick, but neither are Terry and Cahill for example at Chelsea and they're one of the best CB duos around right now

It's not about how fast you are, this isn't Fifa, it's about how tactically aware you are and your positional sense. And Mexes and Alex both have these key ingredients, unlike Zapata or Rami
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 16 2015, 08:30 PM) *

That and they're very, VERY similar types of defender. You need one collosal leader, strong in the air, good positional sense, and one quick, 'last minute block'-capable partner. Rami is neither of these. Both Mexes & Alex are the former. Zapata is the latter, and he and Alex work well together.

Coppa match was poor from Zaps, but then, as I say if you keep getting rotated out and in then expectations can't be sky high.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 16 2015, 09:29 PM) *
Rami isn't exactly lightning quick either

The only real fast CB we have is Zapata and he comes in with a whole host of issues of his own

Alex and Mexes might not be quick, but neither are Terry and Cahill for example at Chelsea and they're one of the best CB duos around right now

It's not about how fast you are, this isn't Fifa, it's about how tactically aware you are and your positional sense. And Mexes and Alex both have these key ingredients, unlike Zapata or Rami

You don't watch Chelsea that often. Terry is the Alex/Mexes of the partnership and Cahill the Zapata.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 16 2015, 11:17 PM) *
You don't watch Chelsea that often. Terry is the Alex/Mexes of the partnership and Cahill the Zapata.

I watch Chelsea regularly, and no way is Cahill the Zapata, he's not fast imo, both him and Terry are strong and have good positioning

As for Zapata he's just a decent defender who is speedy, every other important aspect that is crucial for a defender is lacking.

Even if they are both slow, I'd rather have 2 really good defenders capable of taking care of themselves without needing to have their hands held (both Zapata and Rami are this way), who are tactically smart and have good positioning that makes the speed factor not as important as when you have Zapata who's caught out but is fast enough to usually run back (we saw this failing just last week when he wasn't quick enough to get back and gave away the penalty because of the late tackle)

I'd rather have our 2 best defenders playing with each other, than playing just one of them and a much weaker one just to fit into some mould of what a CB pairing should consist of.

As for your theory that you keep insisting on that Zapata-Alex is our best pairing, I don't know where you came up with that since they only performed well together in that first game and have been shaky when they've played together again since then. Arguably our strongest showings in defence came with Mexes and Zapata or Rami next to him
Danny
Like I said, at the time of me saying it we had never lost with Alex in defence. First time we did was v Sassuolo.

And if you want to get really pedantic, and sure, let's, with Alex at the back we've conceded:

8 goals while he was on the pitch. 11 appearances. One defeat.

With Mexes on the pitch we've conceded:

5. 7 appearances. One defeat.

Basically they're almost exactly the same player, but Alex won't get sent off nor get involved with stupid spats with opposing players.

In essence, remove the crap from Mexes' game and make him even better in the air and you have Alex.

As for your Alex & Mexes theory (at least you've removed the atrocious Rami from the equation at last) I still say they're far too similar and it won't work. But I stand by the assertion that our best defensive display was v Lazio, and they are one of the best teams we've played this season. And that was Alex & Zapata.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 18 2015, 10:31 AM) *
Like I said, at the time of me saying it we had never lost with Alex in defence. First time we did was v Sassuolo.

And if you want to get really pedantic, and sure, let's, with Alex at the back we've conceded:

8 goals while he was on the pitch. 11 appearances. One defeat.

With Mexes on the pitch we've conceded:

5. 7 appearances. One defeat.

Basically they're almost exactly the same player, but Alex won't get sent off nor get involved with stupid spats with opposing players.

In essence, remove the crap from Mexes' game and make him even better in the air and you have Alex.

As for your Alex & Mexes theory (at least you've removed the atrocious Rami from the equation at last) I still say they're far too similar and it won't work. But I stand by the assertion that our best defensive display was v Lazio, and they are one of the best teams we've played this season. And that was Alex & Zapata.

I haven't removed Rami from the equation at all. I still maintain that he's the same level as Zapata, just remove the ridiculous passing give-aways and you have the same player. Both incapable of playing without someone who can lead the line, both capable of making bad mistakes, both have played very well when paired with Mexes.

One game doesn't say anything. Lazio were horrible on that day, we scored 3 times on them relatively easily. They've improved since then but basing your entire theory on that one game for me makes no sense. I've seen our defence perform better than that .i.e being more composed and efficient in how they handle the opposing team's attacks rather than scrambling around like we did at times vs Lazio

Alex and Zapata weren't that great last week, yet you blame it on rotation, but in reality you can blame that very same factor for any of our player under-performing as none of them (aside from maybe Menez) have had any good consistent run of games

As for my theory, you can't discredit it since you're never actually seen it in action.

And regarding Mexes, last I checked he's never been sent off this season. And has rarely had to walk that walk since he's been with us
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 18 2015, 10:33 AM) *
I haven't removed Rami from the equation at all.

Yes you have, you asserted he was our best defender along with Mexes. That was the partnership you advocated.

I still maintain that he's the same level as Zapata, just remove the ridiculous passing give-aways and you have the same player. Both incapable of playing without someone who can lead the line, both capable of making bad mistakes, both have played very well when paired with Mexes.

One game doesn't say anything. Lazio were horrible on that day, we scored 3 times on them relatively easily. They've improved since then but basing your entire theory on that one game for me makes no sense. I've seen our defence perform better than that .i.e being more composed and efficient in how they handle the opposing team's attacks rather than scrambling around like we did at times vs Lazio

Alex and Zapata weren't that great last week, yet you blame it on rotation, but in reality you can blame that very same factor for any of our player under-performing as none of them (aside from maybe Menez) have had any good consistent run of games

Alex was ok, not brilliant but ok. But Zapata was terrible and he HAS been rotated to hell. He's arguably been the biggest victim.

As for my theory, you can't discredit it since you're never actually seen it in action.

And you can't credit it as neither have you!

And regarding Mexes, last I checked he's never been sent off this season. And has rarely had to walk that walk since he's been with us

Sometimes your pro-Mexes bias is comical.
d'Arc.LP
D.Lopez; Abate, Mexes, Rami, Bonera; Montolivo, De Jong, Bonaventura; Cerci, Menez, El Shaarawy.

Bench: Abbiati, Agazzi, Zaccardo, Alex, Armero, Albertazzi, Poli, Van Ginkel, Muntari, Niang, Mastour, Pazzini.

I like the line up, except for Bonera and Rami.
X-Offender
That's possible the best line-up we can play except for frigging Bonera.

If we don't win even this then I officially give up on the 3rd spot.
X-Offender
I can't find any SopCast links for the match. mad.gif
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 18 2015, 04:54 PM) *
I can't find any SopCast links for the match. mad.gif

rojadirecta dot es
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 18 2015, 12:51 PM) *
Yes you have, you asserted he was our best defender along with Mexes. That was the partnership you advocated.

What?! When?

I've always said that Mexes and Alex are our best CBs by far, name one instance where I have said Rami is better than Alex and I'll wire you a £100!

That being said, I prefer Rami over Zapata because of Zapata's on the ball issues. I still think both are just barely okay defenders though

Alex was ok, not brilliant but ok. But Zapata was terrible and he HAS been rotated to hell. He's arguably been the biggest victim.

Every player on this team has suffered because of rotation. You can't dismiss that factor when it's someone you don't particularly like but use it as an excuse when it's someone you want to back.

Rami has suffered through the same start stop treatment as Zapata, just like Poli, Bonaventura, SES, etc

And you can't credit it as neither have you!

I never credited it per se. I have simply said that I personally think it would be our strongest partnership, while youhave automatically dismissed the possibility of it even working well

Sometimes your pro-Mexes bias is comical.

And your anti-Mexes bias is equally so

I remember you saying he'll be diabolical the first time he started this season, and after he came in after months being ignored and dismissed he put in a very solid performance, and yet you, even now, still barely acknowledge how good he's been this season when he's played
han2503
Good start, but we usually start this way then it goes downhill from there
d'Arc.LP
I'm enjoying El Shaarawy's work rate.
d'Arc.LP
Menez should have sent a better shot there.
han2503
QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ Jan 18 2015, 03:18 PM) *
Menez should have sent a better shot there.

From that angle he should have squared it, but he's allergic to passing the ball
Fillipo Simone
Again making the simple mistakes in midfield. Giving up the ball like some sissy's and creating Atalanta a good chance. Just like Sassuolo and a ton of other games.
d'Arc.LP
One down already.
han2503
Menez trying to be too smart, another mistake in midfield and we concede
Fillipo Simone
And now we concede. How? Menez playing with the ball in midfield.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 18 2015, 03:36 PM) *
And now we concede. How? Menez playing with the ball in midfield.

Back-healing it to an opponent will do that for you
X-Offender
1-0

Pathetic. P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C. I haven't seen such a repulsive Milan in my life. There's absolutely no ounce of what someone might call 'game'. The players are static, they show no desire, no willingness, only doing the minimal things. The perfect embodiment of this is Montolivo, a pathetic excuse of a playmaker and an embarrassment to the legendary Milan capitancy. And Pippo on top of it call... For the love of god you who calls himself Milan manager, just do us all a favor and leave.
han2503
This no striker system absolutely kills us in attack. Menez has been frustrating as hell today, even without the stupid mistake that lead to the goal
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 18 2015, 05:49 PM) *
This no striker system absolutely kills us in attack. Menez has been frustrating as hell today, even without the stupid mistake that lead to the goal

Agreed.
Ry4n
im reading this atm

http://www.amazon.com/Am-The-Secret-Footba...l/dp/1783350040

makes me think of the clowns we have in this team...
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 18 2015, 03:49 PM) *

If that was our only problem we'd be 3rd place right now.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 18 2015, 04:04 PM) *
If that was our only problem we'd be 3rd place right now.

It's one of the big ones atm imo. We have no one in attack, Menez drops too deep or goes too wide. We played much better in attack vs Sassuolo because we had a real striker up there, capable of holding up the ball and bringing our wingers into play. Menez doesn't bring that at all into our attack, what he mostly does is pass the ball back, over-dribble or shoot
han2503
Why are SES and Menez both lumped in on the left now while no one is one the right??
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 18 2015, 04:11 PM) *
Why are SES and Menez both lumped in on the left now while no one is one the right??

Menez is playing behind Pazzini, Bona is on the right.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 18 2015, 04:17 PM) *
Menez is playing behind Pazzini, Bona is on the right.

It looks mostly lopsided to me
d'Arc.LP
If we loose this one, and I think we will, or even draw, then Inzaghi has to go. I think we need a coach who demands much more from the players.
Linkman
I keep yelling at the screen "Sub yourself in, Pippo!"
Linkman
I don't think Pippo is the problem.

Just like Seedorf wasn't.

And Leo wasn't.

Allegri kind of was, though.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Linkman @ Jan 18 2015, 04:38 PM) *
I don't think Pippo is the problem.

Just like Seedorf wasn't.

And Leo wasn't.

Allegri kind of was, though.

Pippo is one of the main problems. There's no point denying it.
Linkman
Oh but there is! Come on, we just switched coaches. Not even a year ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.