Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7 matches, early season report
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Danny
What we making so far overall of the Pippo era?

For my tuppence I think he's done brilliantly given the financial constraints. Galliani basically brought in a new team, for near-enough free, and the fact we sit 4th after 7 matches is easily beyond what any of us expected.

We've lost one match, a match we did well in and only a moment of Pogba magic finished by Tevez won the 3 points for Juve. We've made two careless draws, but 4 wins against Parma, Lazio, Chievo and HV are, it has to be said, extremely impressive.

There is progress going on under Pippo, clear progress.

Naturally he makes plenty of bewildering decisions like all managers do, but judge on results, and only 7 points dropped of 21 is, frankly, absolutely excellent.

I'd say 'the big tests come against the Fiorentinas of this world' but then we took one of them on today and completely outclassed them. HV have been a fine performer the past season or so, and beat the recently-improved Torino away on the opening day. So they're a good team that only Roma then us have beaten thus far.

It obviously annoys me to see Rami ahead of Zapata, or Muntari and not MvG or Bona etc, but for all we disagree on personnel - it's results we have to judge.

On that level, and our position in the table, Pippo gets an -A.

If we beat Fiorentina next week you'd have to say it's really starting to look good for him.
X-Offender
Yes, 14 points out of 21 is not bad at all considering where we're coming from. If only we'd won against Empoli and Cesena, which we totally could have, it'd have been an absolutely fantastic start to the season. But even so, I'm happy.

As for Pippo, he's managed to give an identity to this team. The players seem more convinced of their means, which is essential. We're more organized, and we score a lot, but we're also very shaky defensively. We concede a lot of spaces and initiative to the opponent, and that shouldn't happen.

His player selection has been terrible, in my opinion. Giving head starts to people like Bonera and Muntari is unforgivable. His obsession with playing too many defensive-minded players also annoys me a lot. And his attitude when it comes to holding the result or parking the bus is nerve-wrecking.

I said after the Juve game that Pippo is just another Allegri. So far I haven't changed my opinion. Let's see if he'll learn with time and prove me wrong.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 19 2014, 09:47 PM) *
What we making so far overall of the Pippo era?

For my tuppence I think he's done brilliantly given the financial constraints. Galliani basically brought in a new team, for near-enough free, and the fact we sit 4th after 7 matches is easily beyond what any of us expected.

We've lost one match, a match we did well in and only a moment of Pogba magic finished by Tevez won the 3 points for Juve. We've made two careless draws, but 4 wins against Parma, Lazio, Chievo and HV are, it has to be said, extremely impressive.

There is progress going on under Pippo, clear progress.

Naturally he makes plenty of bewildering decisions like all managers do, but judge on results, and only 7 points dropped of 21 is, frankly, absolutely excellent.

I'd say 'the big tests come against the Fiorentinas of this world' but then we took one of them on today and completely outclassed them. HV have been a fine performer the past season or so, and beat the recently-improved Torino away on the opening day. So they're a good team that only Roma then us have beaten thus far.

It obviously annoys me to see Rami ahead of Zapata, or Muntari and not MvG or Bona etc, but for all we disagree on personnel - it's results we have to judge.

On that level, and our position in the table, Pippo gets an -A.

If we beat Fiorentina next week you'd have to say it's really starting to look good for him.

Pretty much agree with the general thoughts you're putting out here.

I think he's done well so far, lost the game we expected him to lose although we did foolishly lose a couple of points that imo, we shouldn't be losing if we want to get that 3rd spot, but it's not like the other contenders for that position have been consistent either.

What I want from Pippo aside from the continued good results of course, is some more innovation and vision when it comes to team selections. This destroyer midfield concept is seriously irritating, especially when you take into consideration the fact that we've conceded the most goals among the top 10 teams so far this season. The De Jong + Muntari + Poli thing is clearly not working in terms of helping out the defence, it's creating bigger problems for us.

I want to see an improvement in our possession play, it's an area we're sorely lacking in and this is why we're suffering in defence as we struggle to hold onto the ball and invite pressure onto us needlessly.

So yeah, that means we need a more innovative midfield than the one we're currently playing and from the trio of starters right now, only De Jong imo should be a definite starter. Bonaventura should also be there no matter who the 3rd guy is
kurtsimonw
7.5/10.

+Great points return so far
+Some pleasing performances
+Look good in attack, even with injuries/players out of position

-Some poor team selections
-Defending is beyond terrible.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 19 2014, 09:21 PM) *
7.5/10.

+Great points return so far
+Some pleasing performances
+Look good in attack, even with injuries/players out of position

-Some poor team selections
-Defending is beyond terrible.

Yeah, 10 conceded in 7 matches isn't great. Until, that is, you remember we conceded 4 of them in that freak show at the Tardini.

If...if you discount that shambles then it's 6 and that's not horrendous.

I just wish he'd go Alex and Zapata - Lazio, for me, was still our best defensive display.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 19 2014, 09:01 PM) *
Pretty much agree with the general thoughts you're putting out here.

We're back to agreeing again!

I think he's done well so far, lost the game we expected him to lose although we did foolishly lose a couple of points that imo, we shouldn't be losing if we want to get that 3rd spot, but it's not like the other contenders for that position have been consistent either.

Fair points but my target remains 5th. EL. IF we get that, nailed it. If we do better, it's a glorious bonus.

What I want from Pippo aside from the continued good results of course, is some more innovation and vision when it comes to team selections. This destroyer midfield concept is seriously irritating, especially when you take into consideration the fact that we've conceded the most goals among the top 10 teams so far this season. The De Jong + Muntari + Poli thing is clearly not working in terms of helping out the defence, it's creating bigger problems for us.

It is bewildering to see some of the midfield selections, but then he's only doing the same as Allegri and Seedorf. The question is why. Our best midfielders clearly are De Jong, MvG and Bona. One was unavailable, but the other two just sat on the bench as Essien and Muntari bafflingly took their slots. In a sort of way I can understand Essien as he's the only DM we have aside De Jong - no wonder we're in for Khedira although we won't get him.

I want to see an improvement in our possession play, it's an area we're sorely lacking in and this is why we're suffering in defence as we struggle to hold onto the ball and invite pressure onto us needlessly.

If Pippo could just put out our best team then we wouldn't have that issue. But that said we did use the ball very well today and it wasn't till we were 3 up that our possession became ragged.

So yeah, that means we need a more innovative midfield than the one we're currently playing and from the trio of starters right now, only De Jong imo should be a definite starter. Bonaventura should also be there no matter who the 3rd guy is

De Jong, Bona, MvG. I'd cry with joy at that midfield. Has everything. Destroyer, all-round CM and attack-minded creativity.

It's the model I preached to you and X earlier in the season and now you both see why Bona is much better deeper as the pinnacle of a 3 man midfield.

It's our best 3.

I hope to see it at the San Siro v Viola.
Jack Sparrow
I liked today's game. Only the last 10 minutes I thought we switched off. That was a noob mistake to change formations so late in the game with the players tired.

I think he was helpless with his lineup. De Jong was suspended and neither Bonaventura nor MvG were fit to start.

I think our possession play will improve a lot when Montolivo comes back in to the side.

Love Honda, even though I've been a Yamaha person all my life.

I did say that making CL depends on Torres coming good (20 goals), else we finish in Europe. So far I'm being proven right. By that I don't mean purely Torres striking in goals and giving us wins, but having that sheer individual brilliance up front suddenly forces teams onto a backfoot and gives us an advantage.

acid911
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 20 2014, 03:30 AM) *
If...if you discount that shambles then it's 6 and that's not horrendous.

But we did, though. sad.gif If Milan can do one thing right, it just has to be defending. We've a legacy to defend.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 19 2014, 10:35 PM) *
We're back to agreeing again!

Well, it does happen on occasion tongue.gif

Fair points but my target remains 5th. EL. IF we get that, nailed it. If we do better, it's a glorious bonus.

I think that's your and every other Milan fan's cautious side at play. But you have to look around and see who the competition for that 3rd spot is. And realistically that is us, Inter and Napoli, Fiorentina and Lazio are long shots at best.

But when you look at the other 2 direct rivals for the spot they are both terribly inconsistent, even worse than us. So hoping for a EL birth is selling ourselves short, as looking at the direct competition for that spot we should be able to at the least fight a good fight for it and we should be in and around that spot come the end of the season, anything else would be a complete failure, just like the utter mess that was last season was a failure.

It is bewildering to see some of the midfield selections, but then he's only doing the same as Allegri and Seedorf. The question is why. Our best midfielders clearly are De Jong, MvG and Bona. One was unavailable, but the other two just sat on the bench as Essien and Muntari bafflingly took their slots. In a sort of way I can understand Essien as he's the only DM we have aside De Jong - no wonder we're in for Khedira although we won't get him.

I think Pippo tries to play it safe, Poli's a hard worker, Muntari (on paper) is considered a defensive minded mid and Essien as well. But Essien and Muntari bring in so many negative aspects into play that their inclusion rather than help out the defence ends up putting even more pressure on it. I understand why a coach would go for the more pragmatic approach, but it just does not work that way, it failed when Carlo did it, when Allegri did it and now with Pippo as well.

You need smart, creative players in midfield that are not afraid to touch the ball, players who actually call for the ball and actually know what to do with it, we currently don't have that in midfield, when De jong is considered the most composed and creative cog in your midfield you know you have an issue.

If Pippo could just put out our best team then we wouldn't have that issue. But that said we did use the ball very well today and it wasn't till we were 3 up that our possession became ragged.

I'm hoping that alone will fix most of the possession issues, but it also has to be a mentality within the team, we've grown up watching a possession obsessed Milan, especially under Carlo, under Allegri it was as well even if it was mostly lethargic and useless possession. Now it's like a complete 180 with Pippo as possession doesn't seem to be a top priority, but we absolutely need to be able to keep hold of the ball, not being able to do that is why we're so defensively weak imo, not because of bad individuals in defence

De Jong, Bona, MvG. I'd cry with joy at that midfield. Has everything. Destroyer, all-round CM and attack-minded creativity.

It's the model I preached to you and X earlier in the season and now you both see why Bona is much better deeper as the pinnacle of a 3 man midfield.

It's our best 3.

I hope to see it at the San Siro v Viola.

You mean the convo where we talked circles around each other for days and in the end we were talking about the same thing? tongue.gif

Yeah, for me a good midfield trio has to include only one defensive minded player, anything more and the quality of the midfield play nose dives and that can't happen with such a formation. The other 2 need to be creative but also good on both sides of the ball. Both Van Ginkel and Jack can do this imo, same goes with Monto and Poli to an extent although I feel like he's regressed this season. Muntari and Essien can't be in there with each other or with De Jong.
X-Offender
I think we should aim for 3rd place this season, no doubt. Just because we finished 8th last season means nothing. Juve finished 7th in 2011 and next year they won the scudetto. This is obviously taking into consideration who are opposition is, and like Han mentioned, no-one is better than us expect for maybe Napoli, but this season they've been very inconsistent. I don't know if not making the CL demoralized them, but their stats so far have been really poor. Last night they were horrible in the first half, redeemed themselves in the second but still ended up conceding twice and throwing away 2 points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.