Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
han2503
Who: Parma FC vs. AC Milan

Where: Stadio Ennio Tardini

When:
14th September 2014 @ 8:45pm CET

Head-to-Head Record

Fillipo Simone
Wow, nice effort Han. Keep up the good work.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 6 2014, 01:32 PM) *
Wow, nice effort Han. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, trying to make these a little more interesting, especially since it's only Serie A this season
Fillipo Simone
Plus Coppa games wink.gif

But very good work indeed.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 6 2014, 02:12 PM) *
Plus Coppa games wink.gif

But very good work indeed.

Yeah, the Coppa too, maybe we can finally put in some decent displays in that competition

I think this is the game where we can finally talk about how the new players will be fitting in. I'm curious to see how Pippo will use Bonaventura, whether he'll use Van Ginkel from the start and how Torres will fit into the attacking line.

Also curious who he'll choose between Menez and Honda
Fillipo Simone
I'd pick Honda to be honest, and Menez as a bench sub for the last half an hour.

Lazio was a good game, but I hope we won't underestimate Parma. It must be said that Lazio isn't the same as in recent years, they've simply lost too many good players, while others are old and shabby.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 6 2014, 02:38 PM) *
I'd pick Honda to be honest, and Menez as a bench sub for the last half an hour.

I would always play Menez. He's the exact kind of player we need upfront.

Lazio was a good game, but I hope we won't underestimate Parma. It must be said that Lazio isn't the same as in recent years, they've simply lost too many good players, while others are old and shabby.

Hm, I actually thought Lazio got stronger this season.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 6 2014, 04:50 PM) *

Really? How exactly?

Pioli is a bad coach IMO and I cannot see how he was selected as Lazio coach in the first place. By getting Bologna relegated?

Playing Lulić in the middle for example didn't help, on the contrary. They've lost defensive stability without Biava and Dias (who I don't rate that high, but they did a solid job) and looked too many times totally out of sync (even for the first league match). Klose and Radu seem too old and out of shape, while the team lacks a true midfielder in Hernanes. Only Mauri showed the necessary spark.

han2503

Well Parma did beat us twice over last season, so yeah, we should approach it with caution
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 6 2014, 03:06 PM) *
Really? How exactly?

Pioli is a bad coach IMO and I cannot see how he was selected as Lazio coach in the first place. By getting Bologna relegated?

Playing Lulić in the middle for example didn't help, on the contrary. They've lost defensive stability without Biava and Dias (who I don't rate that high, but they did a solid job) and looked too many times totally out of sync (even for the first league match). Klose and Radu seem too old and out of shape, while the team lacks a true midfielder in Hernanes. Only Mauri showed the necessary spark.

Well, they got Basta, De Vrij and Parolo (whom I consider a mediocre player, but for a team like Lazio he's appropriate). Plus they managed to keep Candreva. Maybe I made a mistake in saying they got stronger, but they certainly aren't as weak as you portray them compared to previous seasons.
kurtsimonw
I think their squad got stronger, just maybe not their first XI. I like Basta as a player, great work rate.

Is their any doubt Biabiany is going to score against us after this summers pursuit of him?
Fillipo Simone
Basta is a good player. Undecided on de Vrij. His debut was abysmal. Yes, Parolo will find his place in the team. But without a real good coach, a solid defense and someone who can start the actions, I don't see how it's gonna work. I'd prefer all the previous Lazio selection to this one. There's just too many question marks.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 6 2014, 01:38 PM) *

Ditto.

Or a front line of Torres, El-Sha & Niang?

PS I echo your sentiments about the match threads - excellent work Han, they're looking good.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 6 2014, 01:50 PM) *

Me too then I watched them opening day v us and they were ghastly. Along with us being very good.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 6 2014, 02:39 PM) *
Well Parma did beat us twice over last season, so yeah, we should approach it with caution

Last season we were Milanotelli. Now we're a team.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 7 2014, 03:08 PM) *
Ditto.

Or a front line of Torres, El-Sha & Niang?

PS I echo your sentiments about the match threads - excellent work Han, they're looking good.

Thanks

And personally I don't think Niang should be starting, or played on the wing, I'd like to see him get some minutes as a CF, both in the Coppa and as a sub
Danny
I said that more because I'm dubious at best about Menez. I feel he carries no threat going forward. And I know, I know, everyone thought he was great V Lazio, but I didn't see that player.

So I hope he shows me how wrong I am V Parma.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 8 2014, 01:46 AM) *
I said that more because I'm dubious at best about Menez. I feel he carries no threat going forward. And I know, I know, everyone thought he was great V Lazio, but I didn't see that player.

So I hope he shows me how wrong I am V Parma.

Still I don't think the solution is Niang on the wing, he's very obviously not a winger, playing him there is a complete waste and makes him look worse than he really is

I have a feeling that Pippo will be sticking with Honda there anyway, he's in good form atm and scoring goals, even though he's obviously not going to be showing what he can really do on the wing, he's still producing there atm, so I think Pippo will stick with him for now

I'm mostly curious as to who he'll pick for the midfield 3. I'm personally hoping he'll just shove both Bonaventura and Van Ginkel in instead of Poli and Muntari who were both disappointing against Lazio (well Poli was disappointing, Muntari was his usual idiotic self)
Danny
Half the reason for Honda's renaissance is that yes, though he is on the right, he's also being given the freedom to be more central too. So he's probably operating around 60-70% capacity rather than the 30-50% he was before.

Agree on MvG, De Jong and Bonaventura for midfield although I thought Poli had a good game v Lazio.
Fillipo Simone
Honda renaissance? Hopefully, but we're not yet there IMO. He still has to prove he can maintain his good form.
X-Offender
Honda's in good form, but still I think he can do much better if played in midfield. Even if he's at 100%, even if he gives everything he's got, he's simply not suited for playing as winger. He has absolutely no quality whatsoever to cover that role, like speed, dribbling skills and physical strength. Menez is much more suited, and aside from what Danny thinks, he was really good against Lazio.
Danny
Happy for him to prove me wrong, as I said.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 8 2014, 12:49 PM) *
Half the reason for Honda's renaissance is that yes, though he is on the right, he's also being given the freedom to be more central too. So he's probably operating around 60-70% capacity rather than the 30-50% he was before.

Agree on MvG, De Jong and Bonaventura for midfield although I thought Poli had a good game v Lazio.

I don't think it's a renaissance per se. I think he's more comfortable within the team and the group as both a player and a person. Coming in during the middle of the season while the club is in turmoil, the coach is on his last breath and then changing said coach within 2 weeks of being with the new team cannot be easy for anyone, especially someone who's going to experience such a major culture shock as Honda would have experienced.

I still think that it's as x-off said, he's totally wasted on the wing so I don't think we're even seeing the 60-70% you're mentioning. His place should either be in the midfield 3 or just behind SES and Torres.

As for Poli, I've mentioned this before but I really do think that he needs a proper passing player next to him to do well, by passing, I mean a player who can control the tempo. He's more of a quick 1-2 player. And what I saw against Lazio was a lot of running and huffing and puffing and very little in terms of match involvement and crucial passes. He works hard defensively which I like but we do have De Jong for that and Poli is mostly needed for the midfield to help provide a link with the attack, which he wasn't really doing.

I just personally don't see him as a starter in the near future, especially if Van Ginkel and Bonaventura (we should really find a shorter name for him) click into the team, and once Monto returns from his injury, it will be even more difficult for him to find space.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 8 2014, 01:41 PM) *
Honda renaissance? Hopefully, but we're not yet there IMO. He still has to prove he can maintain his good form.

I think he needs to be given a proper chance in the centre to really show what he can do before we judge him on anything tbh. Even the good he's doing now is marred by the fact that he's being limited in that winger position and you know he can do a lot better than that

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 8 2014, 02:18 PM) *
Honda's in good form, but still I think he can do much better if played in midfield. Even if he's at 100%, even if he gives everything he's got, he's simply not suited for playing as winger. He has absolutely no quality whatsoever to cover that role, like speed, dribbling skills and physical strength. Menez is much more suited, and aside from what Danny thinks, he was really good against Lazio.

Agreed
X-Offender
Which do you guys prefer?

Fillipo Simone
The left one, minus van Ginkel. I'd play Poli.
KillerMax
Left one!
Danny
Neither will happen given it's 4-3-3 formation Pippo insists on.

I don't even know if I like either of them - one on the left didn't really work under Seedorf at all, and the one on the right is imbalanced.

I'd prefer:

MvG -- De Jong -- Bonaventura

Menez----Torres--------SES

Yes, I'm giving Menez a chance, ain't that good of me. That or Honda behind Torres and SES for a 1-2.
Danny
Actually, I misread the one on the right. That's closer to my vision. Just would rather the midfield is a flatter 3 than a reverse triangle.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 9 2014, 03:51 PM) *
I don't even know if I like either of them - one on the left didn't really work under Seedorf at all.

Just because it didn't work under Seedorf doesn't mean it won't work under Pippo. First of all, it had completely different players. Kaká, Robinho, Taarabt, Balotelli, all of which are gone.

The problem is that I have a slight feeling if Pippo ever used it, he would play Menez behind Torres and Honda on the wing...
William405
The formation is working for now, why change it? It fits our players perfectly.
Danny
QUOTE (William405 @ Sep 9 2014, 08:08 PM) *
The formation is working for now, why change it? It fits our players perfectly.

My point exactly. Adapt if things go wrong but for now we have something working. No need to alter it.
X-Offender
Well, yes, I agree. It's still too early to change. But even going with 4-3-3, I still think this is our best line-up.
milanbuf88
I like that line up but I'd like to see Honda actually play in the midfield three before that line up is declared our best. Bonnaventura and Van Ginkel also deserve a chance to show what they've got in that spot.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 10 2014, 12:18 PM) *
Well, yes, I agree. It's still too early to change. But even going with 4-3-3, I still think this is our best line-up.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=4vy0j

That would be mine. I'm going on the assumption Menez picks up, and that Torres does well.

But the midfield picks itself.

PS you're not going with Mexes?
milanbuf88
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 10 2014, 11:48 AM) *
But the midfield picks itself.

I wouldn't write Poli off just yet.
Danny
QUOTE (milanbuf88 @ Sep 10 2014, 05:06 PM) *
I wouldn't write Poli off just yet.

I'm not, I like him a lot. But I don't think he's as good as either MvG or Bonaventura. If we played a four he'd be my fourth selection alongside them.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 10 2014, 03:48 PM) *
PS you're not going with Mexes?

Like I said in a previous post, both Alex and Zapata were impressive against Lazio, so I think it's appropriate to stick with them for now.

QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 10 2014, 08:02 PM) *
I'm not, I like him a lot. But I don't think he's as good as either MvG or Bonaventura. If we played a four he'd be my fourth selection alongside them.

The Bonaventura obsession is a tad weird. He's 25, been called up only once for the NT in a friendly against San Marino. Why are we so sure he's so awesome?
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 10 2014, 07:09 PM) *
Like I said in a previous post, both Alex and Zapata were impressive against Lazio, so I think it's appropriate to stick with them for now.

Fair enough. They're my first-choice and have been since the Trofeo.

The Bonaventura obsession is a tad weird. He's 25, been called up only once for the NT in a friendly against San Marino. Why are we so sure he's so awesome?

It's more that I know what Poli's limits are. He is a Gattuso figure, a harrying worker who will run all day but doesn't offer a lot in the final third. Meanwhile Bonaventura does, while also being a fully-capable CM.

Just strikes me that De Jong as DM, MvG as CM and Bonaventura as AM is a better balance than having De Jong & Poli with MvG.

They COULD work together as a four, but not as a 3. For a 3 you need your DM, CM, and AM. Not a DM, DM and CM.
Fillipo Simone
Gattuso? More of a Ambrosini, but I wouldn't compare him to any of the two. Flamini is the nearest I suppose.

Obsession? I wouldn't say obsession, but I've seen Bonaventura play and he's been good (also against Milan) on various occasions. He may lack consistency, but well, this is his first big step, we'll see what turns out. He gives hope, that's sure.

As for the fantasy line-ups and formations. I know it's only one match, but yesterday De Sciglio played pretty good on the left for Conte's Italy. What do you guys say of a Juventus-style 3 man defense (Alex-Mexes-Zapata/Bonera/Rami) and two wingbacks?

X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 10 2014, 08:58 PM) *
It's more that I know what Poli's limits are. He is a Gattuso figure, a harrying worker who will run all day but doesn't offer a lot in the final third. Meanwhile Bonaventura does, while also being a fully-capable CM.

Just strikes me that De Jong as DM, MvG as CM and Bonaventura as AM is a better balance than having De Jong & Poli with MvG.

They COULD work together as a four, but not as a 3. For a 3 you need your DM, CM, and AM. Not a DM, DM and CM.

By that logic then I would prefer Honda over Bonaventura.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 10 2014, 09:32 PM) *
As for the fantasy line-ups and formations. I know it's only one match, but yesterday De Sciglio played pretty good on the left for Conte's Italy. What do you guys say of a Juventus-style 3 man defense (Alex-Mexes-Zapata/Bonera/Rami) and two wingbacks?

I've thought of it. It's not a bad idea. We have the players.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 10 2014, 09:32 PM) *
Gattuso? More of a Ambrosini, but I wouldn't compare him to any of the two. Flamini is the nearest I suppose.

Obsession? I wouldn't say obsession, but I've seen Bonaventura play and he's been good (also against Milan) on various occasions. He may lack consistency, but well, this is his first big step, we'll see what turns out. He gives hope, that's sure.

I personally hate a 3-man defence system.

I think we're better off with a 4
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 10 2014, 09:52 PM) *
By that logic then I would prefer Honda over Bonaventura.

To paraphrase yourself, 'what's the obsession over Honda' wink.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 11 2014, 12:30 PM) *
I personally hate a 3-man defence system.

I think we're better off with a 4

I'm not a fan as well. But like X-O pointed out, we have the players to do it.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 11 2014, 10:35 AM) *
I'm not a fan as well. But like X-O pointed out, we have the players to do it.

I personally think DS is better as a proper FB than a WB, same goes with Abate

Also, I think our CBs, Zapata aside have never really played in a back 3
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 11 2014, 09:38 AM) *
I personally think DS is better as a proper FB than a WB, same goes with Abate

Also, I think our CBs, Zapata aside have never really played in a back 3

It's a dangerous formation to simply jump into when you've not really worked on it in competitive matches before.

I'd rather stick with our 4.
William405
High Five #ParmaMilan

http://youtu.be/MI6sYlfM1TE?list=UUKcx1uK38H4AOkmfv4ywlrg
Fillipo Simone
Very good compilation. So many memories...Pirlo's last goal for us, Maurizio Ganz and his stunner for our comeback...

And I love how they've included Dida's save into this one as well. Usually it's only goals.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 11 2014, 11:12 AM) *
It's a dangerous formation to simply jump into when you've not really worked on it in competitive matches before.

I'd rather stick with our 4.

Agreed

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 11 2014, 11:50 AM) *
Very good compilation. So many memories...Pirlo's last goal for us, Maurizio Ganz and his stunner for our comeback...

And I love how they've included Dida's save into this one as well. Usually it's only goals.

I think they included saves in the Lazio compilation as well. Milan channel trying to get creative biggrin.gif
Fillipo Simone
And they are. Good job really.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Sep 11 2014, 10:33 AM) *
To paraphrase yourself, 'what's the obsession over Honda' wink.gif

I don't know, maybe because I've actually seen Honda play on a constant basis, and I know how good he can be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.