Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Europa League - yes or no?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
X-Offender
So, we're only 6 points shy from 5th place, which is currently occupied by Verona. The teams ahead of us aren't particularly threatening. With 16 weeks left, and with our form and game improving under Seedorf, I'd say it is possible to make the Europa League for next season. The question is: is it worth it?

Personally, I say no. Why? First of all, the monetary value of going through the group stages is very low. In order for us to gain something financially from the competition would be to make it to the final and win the goddamn thing. And let's be honest, we've never won the thing in our history and we sure as hell aren't going to win it now. So, bottom line: too much hassle for nothing.

I'd prefer if we could concentrate just on the league next season, like Roma are doing now, and try to make second place. Clearly Seedorf is using the rest of this season to develop the ideal system and game plan that he's going to be using for next season onwards, getting players acquainted with his gaming philosophy, their new duties and positions, analysing which players are worth it and which aren't etc.

This season is wasted after all, since we can't make CL, and that's what really counts.
Jack Sparrow
I want Europa League, because I think it's important for Zee to get a look at European football without a lot of pressure.

Also the team needs to get used to playing competitive football in 3 competitions. For me keeping in mind our budgets, I don't think we have any shot at getting top notch players like the Ozils or the Silva's or anything. I'd like our next transfer season to be focused on filling the gaps in the first team. We need the three competitions to understand where the holes in terms of depth are. Then we can fill it in just in time for CL in 2016/17. laugh.gif
dst
Yes. Because... competing.
Fillipo Simone
I agree with X-Off, just look at how great Roma and Juventus did with their Europe-hiatus.
KillerMax
Can we opt out if we make it? Or are we talking about intentionally not making it? unsure.gif
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Feb 4 2014, 04:34 AM) *
I agree with X-Off, just look at how great Roma and Juventus did with their Europe-hiatus.

Yes. And very promptly they get skewered when they get into Europe the next season. Because they have no inkling (neither the coach nor the players) of playing in 3 different competitions.
dst
QUOTE (KillerMax @ Feb 3 2014, 10:44 PM) *
Can we opt out if we make it? Or are we talking about intentionally not making it? unsure.gif

Haha, I'm sure Galliani will say we intentionally didn't make it if we do.

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 4 2014, 07:13 AM) *
Yes. And very promptly they get skewered when they get into Europe the next season. Because they have no inkling (neither the coach nor the players) of playing in 3 different competitions.

Listen to the captain!
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 4 2014, 10:13 AM) *

Naah, I don't buy into this. Seedorf will play at least 2 CL matches this season. As a player he has immense experience, just like Tassotti has as assistant. And on top of it, all our players are used playing the CL, and that's something you don't forget doing so easily.
Jack Sparrow
But then so does Conte. Experience in playing CL that is. I think the coaching exposure is quite different to a playing atmosphere.

I would see little other than an aggressive winning mentality can be passed on.
X-Offender
I'm with Fillipo. I don't think playing the EL or not is going to make any difference in that aspect. Juve didn't get skewered last season, which was their first in CL after a very long time. On the contrary, they finished first in their rather tough group, beating Chelsea 3-0 in the run. They made it to the quarter-finals, only to be defeated by Bayern. And even against them they put a very decent performance.

As for Roma, they haven't played yet in the CL, so your argument doesn't apply here.
han2503
EL would be nothing but a waste of time and resources. Let Inter and Fiorentina get those spots.
Suhail 3
It would be nice to aim for 4th this season and if we are in the Europa we can just send out the reserves/second string.

End of the day it is still Europe, so i wouldnt mind playing someone like man united or liverpool in the competition.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Suhail 3 @ Feb 5 2014, 06:04 PM) *
It would be nice to aim for 4th this season and if we are in the Europa we can just send out the reserves/second string.

End of the day it is still Europe, so i wouldnt mind playing someone like man united or liverpool in the competition.

What for?
il_diavolo_mtl
I would say yes even if its not the shinniest prize available for the following reason. It's a slipery slope to write off competitions or years, but if you're going to do it, do it 100%. if we are, let's be honest, we have enjoyed a recent boom in youth spending and development over the past 2 years, MDS, SES, Niang, Vergara, Pacifico, Saponara, Cristante, Petagna, Henty, Di Molfetta, Gabriel, Mastour... The EL would be the competitive reserve league we always moan about not having, why not play the likes of youths that can only grow by european experiences, and by the same token, why not play Junk players we NEED to get rid of, so they can atleast be more match fit for potential buyers..

I'm not saying go crazy and try to win it, but how long do you think the likes of Balo, Honda, Mexes, Rami, De Jong will stay without european possibilities?
Linkman
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 3 2014, 05:13 AM) *
Also the team needs to get used to playing competitive football in 3 competitions. For me keeping in mind our budgets, I don't think we have any shot at getting top notch players like the Ozils or the Silva's or anything. I'd like our next transfer season to be focused on filling the gaps in the first team. We need the three competitions to understand where the holes in terms of depth are. Then we can fill it in just in time for CL in 2016/17. laugh.gif

We've always been playing three competitions. We know what that depth is. It's Galliani's fault we don't fill it.
Danny
Milan need European competition like a fish needs water.

It doesn't matter if it's the CL, EL, or the Intercontinental Relay Over 50s Zimmer Cup, we need to be there.

This club was born to be in Europe, and take that away from us and you rip away part of our soul.

PS: even a sh*t Milan does better in a harder group than a stronger Juve in an easier group. If you think us concentrating on the league alone will give us better focus, I'd argue the opposite - it'll disorient us.
han2503
^^ Why?

You know that if we do by some miracle make the EL we'll still half @ss it and get KO'd in the last 32. We just can't help ourselves

EL is nothing but a distraction. It doesn't bring any financial benefits with it (Chelsea got 10m for winning the thing!!) and all it will do is create more physical strain on the players that is unnecessary

I'd personally prefer if we had a season completely out of Europe and we can concentrate fully on the league
kurtsimonw
Yes. We're not a top club. We're not too big for the Europa League.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 19 2014, 12:17 AM) *
Yes. We're not a top club. We're not too big for the Europa League.

We are a top club, we're not a top team.
acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 19 2014, 05:59 AM) *
We are a top club, we're not a team.

Fixed. sleep.gif
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 18 2014, 09:42 PM) *
^^ Why?

You know that if we do by some miracle make the EL we'll still half @ss it and get KO'd in the last 32. We just can't help ourselves

EL is nothing but a distraction. It doesn't bring any financial benefits with it (Chelsea got 10m for winning the thing!!) and all it will do is create more physical strain on the players that is unnecessary

I'd personally prefer if we had a season completely out of Europe and we can concentrate fully on the league

As an aside, I dreamt you posted a video of us from the late 80s. And we were all in tears over how good we were and how abject we are now.

When even Paolo Maldini attacks us, you know we're in bother.

And I saw someone on BT Sport agree with my point that the resting on our laurels after 2011 was one of the biggest causes.

This club was either going in one of two directions at that point - straight back to where it belonged at the top, with a few good additions, or straight to the bottom if it did nothing.

Rest speaks for itself.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 19 2014, 09:33 AM) *
As an aside, I dreamt you posted a video of us from the late 80s. And we were all in tears over how good we were and how abject we are now.

When even Paolo Maldini attacks us, you know we're in bother.

And I saw someone on BT Sport agree with my point that the resting on our laurels after 2011 was one of the biggest causes.

This club was either going in one of two directions at that point - straight back to where it belonged at the top, with a few good additions, or straight to the bottom if it did nothing.

Rest speaks for itself.

I think we've been resting on those laurels since that CL win in 07 and we've been going downhill from there. Sometimes I feel like that CL is more of a curse on us as it gave the management even further excuses not to re-invest and re-build when at that point the squad was already going through a rapid decline.

Instead he gave huge contracts to the veterans who had already accomplished everything and had nothing left to give to the side and kept trying to sell the notion that Milan was still the best around, when even then it was very clear how far back we were
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 19 2014, 03:20 PM) *
I think we've been resting on those laurels since that CL win in 07 and we've been going downhill from there. Sometimes I feel like that CL is more of a curse on us as it gave the management even further excuses not to re-invest and re-build when at that point the squad was already going through a rapid decline.

Instead he gave huge contracts to the veterans who had already accomplished everything and had nothing left to give to the side and kept trying to sell the notion that Milan was still the best around, when even then it was very clear how far back we were

Yup, in hindsight that was a huge mistake, which falls squarely on Berlu and Galliani. You can argue that Inter made the same mistake after they won "il triplete", but that is not really an excuse.

FWIW, I remember listening to Berlu on a TV show right after we won the WC in '07, when the signs of decline were already evident. When asked about his plans to renovate the team, he replied something to the effect of "why? we just won the CL and the WC, it's the other teams that need to get better". It has been downhill ever since, except maybe for the Ibra days. But even then we were horrible in Europe, and the clown managed to lose a scudetto we really should have won.

But back to the original question, at this stage we need to rebuild, and IMHO our new coach (Seedorf or whomever may replace him) could use one season where we can focus on fewer competitions. Revenue from EL is not that great, and is not as if we have world-class stars that well leave if we are out of Europe for one year (ok, maybe Balotelli, but at this point I am happy to see him leave - if we get some cash). Also, I believe that making CL last year gave management an excuse to keep ignoring our problems ("after all, 3rd place is not thaaaat bad, is it? we still get the CL revenue, don't we?" - easy enough to think in those terms). I am hoping that not making EL will be a wake-up call.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Mar 20 2014, 08:50 PM) *
Also, I believe that making CL last year gave management an excuse to keep ignoring our problems ("after all, 3rd place is not thaaaat bad, is it? we still get the CL revenue, don't we?" - easy enough to think in those terms). I am hoping that not making EL will be a wake-up call.

Exactly. There are no more excuses anymore.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 21 2014, 06:36 AM) *
Exactly. There are no more excuses anymore.

I guess this would be one +ve way to look at it.

Here's to hoping... (and hoping that this time the outcome is different).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.