Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [EL] Europa League 2013-14
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
han2503
All new EL talk here
il_diavolo_mtl
Let me start this off by mentioning Fiorentina beat Grasshoppers 2-1 in a slow game...
X-Offender
Udinese lost 3-1 at home against Slovan Liberec.

Same old story.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 23 2013, 02:45 AM) *
Udinese lost 3-1 at home against Slovan Liberec.

Same old story.

As usual. They're a disgrace, hopefully they end up 10th this year.
han2503
Lazio and Fiorentina both won today, so it's a good start for Italy on the opening day in Europe, hope all the teams in the competitions do well this season.

If only Roma or Inter were there instead of those idiots from Udine. We'd have had 3 very strong teams that could all potentially challenge for the EL
Fillipo Simone
Anyone watching Fiorentina-Juventus? Typical Juve. Nothing, nothing, nothing - then Fiorentina get's red for a foul and Pirlo shoot yet another free kick goal.
Zed.D
Nice FK goal Pirlo. commentator said his last 7 goals for Juve have been from FKs. and to think how many he scored in his last 2-3 seasons for us...
Fillipo Simone
Not last 2-3, overall. He never was that efficient with us.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 20 2014, 08:49 PM) *
Not last 2-3, overall. He never was that efficient with us.

He used to score regularly until 2006 (especially in 05/06), then it stopped abruptly.

Let's hope Napoli passes through tonight.
Fillipo Simone
Well, they got the early goal. And playing quite well.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 20 2014, 09:43 PM) *
Well, they got the early goal. And playing quite well.

I think it's better for Italy in general if Juve go through and do well
X-Offender
So, 2-2. Shame.
acid911
QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 21 2014, 03:57 AM) *
I think it's better for Italy in general if Juve go through and do well

I think it's beyond time we stopped worrying for Italy and started worrying for us. sleep.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (acid911 @ Mar 21 2014, 01:30 AM) *
I think it's beyond time we stopped worrying for Italy and started worrying for us. sleep.gif

Italy can be saved, we're beyond repair until Silvio/Galliani go.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (acid911 @ Mar 20 2014, 08:30 PM) *

Shame on you acid! sleep.gif

...but it's okay I understand where you're coming from! wink.gif
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 21 2014, 08:06 AM) *
Italy can be saved, we're beyond repair until Silvio/Galliani go.

Hmm. I'm on the fence with this one. For me it's one or the other. If both go, what's the guarantee that we're not looking at a Vincent Tan situation.

I sound like an old foggie, but I don't like change if I have no guarantees that the changes will be better. We always make the mistake of assuming things can't get any worse, and then it's surprise mothafucka, shite gets deeper! dry.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 21 2014, 09:34 AM) *
Hmm. I'm on the fence with this one. For me it's one or the other. If both go, what's the guarantee that we're not looking at a Vincent Tan situation.

I sound like an old foggie, but I don't like change if I have no guarantees that the changes will be better. We always make the mistake of assuming things can't get any worse, and then it's surprise mothafucka, shite gets deeper! dry.gif

Oh but sh!t can get deeper, Im curious to see how far down biggrin.gif
Linkman
It's difficult to understand how a midfield with Pogba, Pirlo and Vidal can't cut it in CL.
X-Offender
Poor attempt by Juve. They attacked and attacked but couldn't produce jackshit.
han2503
Quite unlucky but doesn't it say it all when the Italian champions, the team who are once again running away with the league for the 3rd straight season, can't get past a very average Portuguese side?
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 1 2014, 10:08 PM) *
Quite unlucky but doesn't it say it all when the Italian champions, the team who are once again running away with the league for the 3rd straight season, can't get past a very average Portuguese side?

Now now han, very average Portuguese side? They're Portuguese champions, will play the Portuguese cup final and EL final. I'd say they're way above average.

The problem resides with Juventus themselves. The way they play might work in Serie A, but in two years we've seen that it doesn't cut it in Europe. Conte needs to abolish the 3-5-2 and sign a bunch of attacking midfielders. It's very obvious.
kurtsimonw
There was talking in January they wanted Cuadrado and Cerci and move to a 4-3-3 next season. That'd mean Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, Ogbonna and Cacares for just 2 CB spots. I'd take whichever player they sold.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 1 2014, 10:19 PM) *
There was talking in January they wanted Cuadrado and Cerci and move to a 4-3-3 next season. That'd mean Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, Ogbonna and Cacares for just 2 CB spots. I'd take whichever player they sold.

If I were in them I'd splash big money and sign Reus.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 1 2014, 10:18 PM) *
Now now han, very average Portuguese side? They're Portuguese champions, will play the Portuguese cup final and EL final. I'd say they're way above average.

The problem resides with Juventus themselves. The way they play might work in Serie A, but in two years we've seen that it doesn't cut it in Europe. Conte needs to abolish the 3-5-2 and sign a bunch of attacking midfielders. It's very obvious.

Look at their line-up and compare it to Juve's. Just incomparable difference in quality, yet Juve struggle in both games

Benfica are decent, but winning their league and cup really doesn't say much, they were in our CL group last season and we handled them better. Says enough.

I think Juve have it too easy in the league and it effects them in Europe, add to that, they've never been a strong European side to begin with.

I do think the 3-man CB thing is a stone age system, agreed with you there and there is no reason why they should be using it

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 1 2014, 10:19 PM) *

Really Cerci? and Cuadrado?

What will buying those 2 achieve? They'll just buy 2 good players who do rather well in the league, which is the same as half of their current roster. All that would accomplish would be to keep them at the same level while weakening 2 Serie A sides. Like x-off suggested, they need some top class names in order to elevate themselves to the next level and compete seriously in the CL next season.

Buying those 2 wouldn't accomplish anything, in fact if I were a Juve fan, I'd see signing those 2 as a step backwards for a club that's aiming for more than just running away with the domestic league by January
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 1 2014, 10:48 PM) *
Benfica are decent, but winning their league and cup really doesn't say much, they were in our CL group last season and we handled them better. Says enough.

What? No, they weren't. huh.gif
acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 2 2014, 03:18 AM) *

Exactly. smile.gif Way above average, and a good team overall, Benfica.

QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 2 2014, 03:18 AM) *

Very true. But I'm not sure they will. unsure.gif Juventus have a certain mindset in place for a few years now, where they don't go for top world talent as readily as they stuff their squad with good to average names. And frankly my dear, I don't mind that. If it were any other Italian club (save for Udinese) I'd be supporting them.

And they probably could have have put in a better performance, really, yesterday had it come to it.
X-Offender
Italy just slipped into 5th place in the UEFA ranking, behind Portugal. Oh my...
acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 2 2014, 02:35 PM) *
Italy just slipped into 5th place in the UEFA ranking, behind Portugal. Oh my...

Sad, but expected. sleep.gif
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 2 2014, 12:01 AM) *
What? No, they weren't. huh.gif

Really? I could have sworn they were...

Oops blush.gif never mind... innocent.gif
han2503
QUOTE (acid911 @ May 2 2014, 10:15 AM) *
Sad, but expected. sleep.gif

It's sad because it could have easily been avoided had Italian clubs taken the EL/UEFA Cup more seriously in the past
acid911
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 2 2014, 03:58 PM) *
It's sad because it could have easily been avoided had Italian clubs taken the EL/UEFA Cup more seriously in the past

Exactly. mellow.gif They are to blame here, most definitely.
X-Offender
Well, of course. Who else is there to blame?
acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 2 2014, 05:26 PM) *
Well, of course. Who else is there to blame?

Ask them, and they'll say $$$. laugh.gif Or lack of it. I can understand the prize money isn't that much to begin with, but it's the same for all countries. And even with a smaller kitty, they should have given the tournament the due respect. But I guess that's too much to ask from schmuck teams like Udinese, who are only in it for the moolah.

How much this hurts Serie A in the short and long term, and how they bounce back, be interesting.
Rossoneri7
Sad, Italy will need a decade to reestablish itself amongst German and English teams.

Problem lies deeper than just individual clubs in Serie A. Italian teams in the top flight have all contributed to this, as have the politics in the country. There was a time when Italy was on top of the world, instead of investing in infrastructure they invested in the playing squad (short-term benefits vs long-term decay). Whilst the English and German had looked at the long-run and invested in their respective infrastructure.

What Italy needs the most is a World Cup in my humble opinion. Building new stadiums, renovating existing ones, huge marketing campaigns and the world would look at Italy again.

As of today, I have no interest in any random Serie A game, I'd rather watch a Magpies vs Pompey. Why? Because at the bare minimum, at least the technology in video coverage of the game is top quality, whilst in Italy its as if I was still in the 90's, except HD dry.gif Only reason why I would talk about Serie A is because of the obvious, Milan. Otherwise, its not an attractive league for the neutrals.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 2 2014, 02:18 PM) *
As of today, I have no interest in any random Serie A game, I'd rather watch a Magpies vs Pompey.

Portsmouth are in League 2, so I guess that goes to show how much you dislike the average Serie A game. tongue.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 2 2014, 01:18 PM) *
Sad, Italy will need a decade to reestablish itself amongst German and English teams.

Problem lies deeper than just individual clubs in Serie A. Italian teams in the top flight have all contributed to this, as have the politics in the country. There was a time when Italy was on top of the world, instead of investing in infrastructure they invested in the playing squad (short-term benefits vs long-term decay). Whilst the English and German had looked at the long-run and invested in their respective infrastructure.

What Italy needs the most is a World Cup in my humble opinion. Building new stadiums, renovating existing ones, huge marketing campaigns and the world would look at Italy again.

As of today, I have no interest in any random Serie A game, I'd rather watch a Magpies vs Pompey. Why? Because at the bare minimum, at least the technology in video coverage of the game is top quality, whilst in Italy its as if I was still in the 90's, except HD dry.gif Only reason why I would talk about Serie A is because of the obvious, Milan. Otherwise, its not an attractive league for the neutrals.

Totally agree with you on this R7

Watching an EPL game is just pleasing to the eye. Forget about the football, at the most basic level of marketing and presentation the English league is heads and shoulders above the rest imo.

But then again, Spain have 3 competitors left in Europe. 2 in the CL final 1 in the EL final. Yet, no one watches Sevilla, or even Atletico against some random side. I don't know anyone who willingly watches Lavante vs Rayo just for the heck of it

And really the quality of the coverage is just as bad if not worse than Serie A, because Sky Italia shows some premium stuff and do the best they can with what they have. Yet, their teams still do well in Europe on a consistant basis. From Sevilla a few years ago to Atletico now, there's usually a Spanish side in the latter stages of the EL.

Spanish league infrastructure is as rotten to the core as it's Italian counterpart imo. Even worse because of the polarization of TV right between the big 2. The only thing that saves it is they have 2 massive clubs that generate so much cash and attention it makes it okay that the rest of league is dire
kurtsimonw
the Spanish coverage here is really good to be honest. There's usually 4 live games every week. Though I think we get more Serie A games a week than we do Bundesliga.
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 2 2014, 03:30 PM) *
the Spanish coverage here is really good to be honest. There's usually 4 live games every week. Though I think we get more Serie A games a week than we do Bundesliga.

But when you watch games, especially in the smaller teams' stadiums, it's just terribly unpleasing to the eye.

You don't experience that in the English league, even when watching a Reading game or any other newly promoted side. It doesn't give you the feeling that you're watching football in the 90s, as R7 very rightly pointed out, which is the case for Spain and Italy

I personally hate it when we're playing a Catania or Atalanta or Cesena, etc because the Tv coverage is just awful to watch
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 2 2014, 04:35 PM) *
You don't experience that in the English league, even when watching a Reading game or any other newly promoted side. It doesn't give you the feeling that you're watching football in the 90s, as R7 very rightly pointed out, which is the case for Spain and Italy

Yeah, that's pretty much down to BSkyB, fantastic addition to our league and the Premiership would be nowhere near what it is without both visually & audio. Has just pushed anyone contending with it to broadcast over here at a high level.

Italy does seem particularly bad in older stadiums compared to most leagues but it doesn't help when the stands are like 10% full.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ May 2 2014, 06:08 PM) *
Yeah, that's pretty much down to BSkyB, fantastic addition to our league and the Premiership would be nowhere near what it is without both visually & audio. Has just pushed anyone contending with it to broadcast over here at a high level.

So many morons who complain about Sky for "ruining football". I think they'll find the Champions League money "ruins" football. Sky pays every team a pretty fair amount, all they've done is turn a pretty average league into the biggest sports league in the World.
Fillipo Simone
What does that mean, Portugal surpassed Italy in a concrete manner? Some implications?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 2 2014, 07:49 PM) *
What does that mean, Portugal surpassed Italy in a concrete manner? Some implications?

In terms of UEFA points, i.e. coefficient. Italy will start 14/15 with 51,510 points, Portugal at least with 52,133.

Link
kurtsimonw
Sevilla-Benfica penalties about to start.

Benfica have lost their last 7 European finals.
kurtsimonw
Benfica curse going to continue thanks to their players doing the stupid stutter run up penalties.
kurtsimonw
Sevilla win! biggrin.gif
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 14 2014, 10:31 PM) *
Benfica curse going to continue thanks to their players doing the stupid stutter run up penalties.

Stupid indeed.
kurtsimonw
Whatever happened to Marin? I remember when people talked him up as a top class player. I don't remember the last time I really saw a player get subbed on and be so completely useless he gets subbed off again.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 15 2014, 05:39 AM) *
Whatever happened to Marin? I remember when people talked him up as a top class player. I don't remember the last time I really saw a player get subbed on and be so completely useless he gets subbed off again.

Was reading up about him. Apparently his hamstring has really done him in. Affects his biggest asset of pace, as well as knocks back his continuity. Another thing seems to be coaches insisting on playing him in the centre instead of a wing.

He's a wing-based dribbler as far as I can tell. Good at dragging off defenders opening space in the centre for the forwards.

I'd take him, except he is injury prone and more importantly plays on the left and cuts to the centre. So we have Kaka, Balotelli and Sharaawy who do just that. Nope. We need Cerci to play on the right. We're absolutely impotent offensively on the right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.