Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inzaghi out of the Champions League
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News
Pages: 1, 2, 3
X-Offender
He was not included in the list for the group stages. Allegri's decision relates to Inzaghi's precarious physical condition. El Shaarawy was excluded as well. Below is the list of the 25 players.

Abate, Abbiati, Ambrosini, Amelia, Antonini, Aquilani, Boateng, Bonera, Cassano, Thiago Silva, De Sciglio, Robinho, Emanuelson, Gattuso, Ibrahimovic, Mexes, Nesta, Nocerino, Pato, Roma, Seedorf, Taiwo, Van Bommel, Yepes, Zambrotta.

Why the hell not El Shaarawy???
han2503
Abbiati, Roma, Amelia

Abate, Antonini, Bonera, Thiago Silva, De Sciglio, Mexes, Nesta, Taiwo, Yepes, Zambrotta.

Ambrosini, Aquilani, Boateng, Emanuelson, Gattuso, Nocerino, Seedorf, Van Bommel

Cassano, Robinho, Ibrahimovic, Pato

Source

han2503
I don't get this, Pippo and El Sha left out, yet Rino and De Sciglio are include. What exactly is the thought behind this? Rino alone is suspended for nearly the entire group stage rolleyes.gif
han2503
lol, didn't notice that you posted this here. I posted the same thing in the news thread.

And yes the decision is riduculous, especially the addition of Rino as well seeing as he'll be suspended for the majority of the group stage matches (Thank GOD!!)
X-Offender
Delete this thread. We'll talk about it in your topic.
X-Offender
Well, I wasn't counting on Inzaghi anyway. But I'm really annoyed at El Shaarawy. He should have been included instead of De Sciglio or Gattuso.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 1 2011, 08:15 PM) *
Delete this thread. We'll talk about it in your topic.

Merged it with mine and moved it to the news section.
kurtsimonw
Shame about Pippo, but not entirely unexpected. Odd decision not to include El Shaarawy though.

I do think though, looking at our squad in a list like that, it's not all that bad at all.
acid911
Okay, I may have my stupid cap on, but why is Inzaghi excluded from the CL, exactly? unsure.gif Seeing as he is pretty much figured out in the league, and is not nearly as effective domestically than he is in Europe. And isn't adding to his continental tally one of the biggest reasons he wanted to play these extra few years?

Somebody slap me! sleep.gif Or at least give me the reason. Injury? Form? Fitness? Limited space? Better players available?
X-Offender
QUOTE (acid911 @ Sep 1 2011, 10:37 PM) *
Okay, I may have my stupid cap on, but why is Inzaghi excluded from the CL, exactly? unsure.gif Seeing as he is pretty much figured out in the league, and is not nearly as effective domestically than he is in Europe. And isn't adding to his continental tally one of the biggest reasons he wanted to play these extra few years?

Somebody slap me! sleep.gif Or at least give me the reason. Injury? Form? Fitness? Limited space? Better players available?

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 1 2011, 10:05 PM) *
Allegri's decision relates to Inzaghi's precarious physical condition.
acid911
Yeah, I got that, but surely he could be back for the late stages of the group matches? huh.gif Or can't he? I mean, for all it's worth, our knockout adventure could again last the total of two matches if we get a tough team. Though admittedly, I am not too up-to-date on Inzaghi's injury and recovery, but surely if he's getting 100% soon, then he could have been there instead of De Sciglio.

And as for leaving Gattuso out, good luck with that! biggrin.gif He's probably going to bring the roof of the San Siro falling if anyone tried to tinker with his name on the list. And yes, I'd much rather have El Shaarawy there than him.
Jack Bauer
De Sciglio is there because you need a certain amount of home grown players (4). It was either him or another youngster so that doesn't matter.

El Shaarawy should have been there instead of Rino or Bonera, but if he proves to be a useful player, he can always be added to the list after the winter transfer window.
Dracoris
Isn't El Sha young enough that he doesn't have to be on the list? I remember Pato used to not be on the list and was playable.
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (Dracoris @ Sep 1 2011, 11:59 PM) *
Isn't El Sha young enough that he doesn't have to be on the list?

He's 18. If I remember correctly, a player under 21 has to play at least 2 years at the club to receive a free pass.
nuh
El shaarawy i think will still be able to play since he is young, i remember someone saying once that younger players should be able to play without being registered...dunno if i'm wrong though :s
servbot
This is the dumbest thing I've heard today, and that's significant because it's been quite a day for me to hear of dumb things.
X-Offender
Honestly, I don't think Inzaghi can make that much of a difference. Sure, Europe has always been his favorite turf, but the guy is 38, continuously dealing with physical problems. IMO he should just hang the boots and call it a day. Not everyone can be a Maldini. And even Paolo was rather poor at that age.
servbot
He very well might not be able to make a difference, but the same thing could have been said last year and he scored those two big goals against Madrid before getting hurt.

Plus as others have said he certainly could offer more than a guy who's suspended for 4 games, and is questionable even when he gets to play again.
X-Offender
QUOTE (servbot @ Sep 2 2011, 12:07 AM) *
He very well might not be able to make a difference, but the same thing could have been said last year and he scored those two big goals against Madrid before getting hurt.

Key phrase: before getting hurt. I said it all those months ago that a player of 38 years could never properly recover from such a grave injury. Not to mention that Inzaghi has always been injury prone during his entire career.
TriniKing_CE
Inzaghi not being selected I do not understand at all. blink.gif

El Shaarawy doesn't need to be registered as he is under the age of 21. wink.gif
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Sep 2 2011, 03:01 AM) *
El Shaarawy doesn't need to be registered as he is under the age of 21. wink.gif

Incorrect.

In short, There is an A list - 25 players we submitted yesterday. And there is B list for under 21 players, but those under 21 players need to be at the club for at least two seasons after turning 15. So El Shaarawy is out.

A player may be registered on List B if he is born on or after 1 January 1989
and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted
period of two years since his 15th birthday by the time he is registered with
UEFA. Players aged 16 may be registered on List B if they have been
registered with the participating club for the previous two years without
interruption.
Bluesummers
El Sha's 17 guys comon. Lets not throw him into the firepit yet. Lets let him adapt to Serie A first then we can talk about europe.
William405
Doesn't being 17 qualify him to be registered in the under 18 list or something?
Jack Sparrow
Nyope. Check out the other Jack's post.
Jack Bauer
BTW, El Shaarawy is not 17, he'll be 19 next month.
William405
Ah totally missed that,thanks for the info.

Silly rules if you ask me biggrin.gif.
dst
we're only being fair, it would just be too easy with Inzaghi.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 2 2011, 07:42 AM) *
El Sha's 17 guys comon.

You are two years off. biggrin.gif
X-Offender
Apparently Inzaghi is furious for being excluded from the list, and he might leave in January.

Link
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 2 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Apparently Inzaghi is furious for being excluded from the list, and he might leave in January.

Link

i think he only wanted to play in the UCL and maintain his goal scoring, i think Milan made a blunder by excluding him from UCL dry.gif
acid911
Apparently, Gattuso is not the only one then who can bring down the roof of San Siro. biggrin.gif sleep.gif
Suhail 3
The forwardline has me licking my lips, cant wait for our champions league journey to begin.
amancik
Maybe we're counting on Inzaghi in the knockout stages?
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (amancik @ Sep 2 2011, 06:19 PM) *
Maybe we're counting on Inzaghi in the knockout stages?

Depends on his physical condition. Allegri said that he would add him to the list if Pippo is fully healthy.
X-Offender
I wonder, when did Inzaghi become so important to us? We've got four world class strikers at disposal, and you people worry about a 38-year-old injured player? Just let it go, really.
acid911
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 2 2011, 10:49 PM) *
I wonder, when did Inzaghi become so important to us? We've got four world class strikers at disposal, and you people worry about a 38-year-old injured player? Just let it go, really.

Oh, you have no idea! rolleyes.gif The ultras - and should I say, right-wing supporters - are going nuts over his exclusion. I mean stuff like Inzaghi could score playing on one-leg, blindfolded, and both hands tied behind his back even if he is 89 years old. Talk about reason, man. Sense and sensibility.

Oh well, whatever floats their root beer. sleep.gif And here I thought Maldini was the club icon of the last two decades. And look what he got. Mr. Inzaghi here, as important as he was in the past (and still could be), threatens to leave the club, or asks not to have his #9 shirt retired (I mean, really?) when no one asked him that it will be. He is a fan favorite, and fan favorites sort of get their way by hook or crook. So does another one of our senior, Gattuso (who after giving away the worst performance from a Milan player I have seen in a derby, and getting himself sent off in the process) ups it up by headbutting an official in a CL match, with half the world watching. And then gets away with it.

Give me a Paolo, Nesta, heck even an Ambrosini over a million of these prima donnas any day of week. dry.gif But I guess that's how things are run now-a-days. I still think Inzaghi can be useful if used correctly, and hopefully he gets fit as soon as he can and shows his magic. At least, he's not taking space a la Seedorf and blocking the club from nurturing a new generation #10.
X-Offender
Now, now, you're making Inzaghi sound evil, when in fact he's a very nice and sensible guy. The fact he got angry for being excluded from the competition is only natural. But then again, I say it's his own damn fault. He can't expect to play at his age in such high levels anymore. Not to mention his physical conditions get worse by the day. He should have either chosen to play for a small club or end his career straight away as a winner.
acid911
No, not evil. Just a bit full of himself. smile.gif And not to mention, a tad selfish too (all big players are, they have to be) in the sense that for him the biggest thing is scoring a few extra goals in the CL. He's pretty much figured out in the domestic league, really. For a guy who's won everything, around 35 is a good age to either hang the boots.

Or like you said, he should have either chosen to play for a small club. Maybe his youth/favorite club.
Zed.D
Both immensely wise decisions IMO.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Sep 2 2011, 03:25 PM) *
i think he only wanted to play in the UCL and maintain his goal scoring, i think Milan made a blunder by excluding him from UCL dry.gif

No, I think Inzaghi made a blunder by staying with Milan. He should have known that his chances to play games for Milan were very thin since Milan got many forwards better than he is nowadays. Yeah, and if he now is pissed and wanna leave in January. Well, that's his choice, a half year too late, Pippo.

And I don't get why X-Offender acts like excluding El Shaarawy is a crazy thing to do. Based on what should he have been included then? And I remember that the young dude needed a lot of months to get in the right shape (getting physical stronger) for Milan their games (obviously a difference with lower league and youth cup games).

For how many games is Gattuso suspended exactly? I thought 5? But am not sure. If so, kinda unnecessary call-up.

Could it be De Sciglio got called up because he is from own youth and (for example) he was needed to be called up to reach the necessary amount of home-grown players in the list?
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Sep 3 2011, 10:19 AM) *
No, I think Inzaghi made a blunder by staying with Milan. He should have known that his chances to play games for Milan were very thin since Milan got many forwards better than he is nowadays. Yeah, and if he now is pissed and wanna leave in January. Well, that's his choice, a half year too late, Pippo.

And I don't get why X-Offender acts like excluding El Shaarawy is a crazy thing to do. Based on what should he have been included then? And I remember that the young dude needed a lot of months to get in the right shape (getting physical stronger) for Milan their games (obviously a difference with lower league and youth cup games).

For how many games is Gattuso suspended exactly? I thought 5? But am not sure. If so, kinda unnecessary call-up.

Could it be De Sciglio got called up because he is from own youth and (for example) he was needed to be called up to reach the necessary amount of home-grown players in the list?

Yeah De Sciglio got called up because of the home grown players quota which I think is 4...

The biggest blunder is calling up Gattuso, who aside from being suspended from most of the group stage matches, is just aweful and shouldn't be on the pitch for us, especially not in the Barca games (I think he'll be available for the return in the San Siro dry.gif ). Allegri seemingly doesn't want to learn his lesson in regards to Rino, everywhere I go whether it's a forum or talking to people, they still can't understand why Rino get's anywhere near the pitch for Milan let alone being an automatic starter. It's just ridiculous. I don't even think that a huge mistake from Rino would dether Allegri from playing him.

And you can bet your @ss that if the suspension is over for the return leg against Barca, that Gattuso will be one of the first name on that list rolleyes.gif

As for Pippo. The only reason the man stayed on was to increase his CL tally. Yet he's just spent an entire season injured and it's looking more and more likely like another repeat this season. His body simply cannot handle it anymore, and when you have Galliani contantly complaining about money, then you have to ask, what is the thinking behing giving Pippo another contract? He's mostly going to cost us money this season by sitting on the treatment table for another season while collecing another paycheck that our club seems so happy to give to veteran who don't really deserve it.

I don't know how much Pippo, Seedorf and Ambro got in their new contract, but Rino is on 3m, so I can guess they're on something similar, which is ridiculous, especially when we're passing on players, actual good players for the their wage demands
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 3 2011, 01:03 PM) *
I don't know how much Pippo, Seedorf and Ambro got in their new contract, but Rino is on 3m, so I can guess they're on something similar, which is ridiculous, especially when we're passing on players, actual good players for the their wage demands

Pippo earns way less than that if I'm not mistaken.
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Sep 3 2011, 11:25 AM) *
Pippo earns way less than that if I'm not mistaken.

Let's say he earns around 1.5m to 2m. It's still a lot when you think about it, especially seeing as he'll be injured 75% of the time...
X-Offender
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Sep 3 2011, 12:19 PM) *
And I don't get why X-Offender acts like excluding El Shaarawy is a crazy thing to do. Based on what should he have been included then?

You pretty much answered it yourself. Why leave an eligible player like El Shaarawy at home and include someone like Gattuso instead, who won't be playing 4 of the 6 games? Irrational.

And I remember that the young dude needed a lot of months to get in the right shape (getting physical stronger) for Milan their games (obviously a difference with lower league and youth cup games).

Months? Aren't you exaggerating a little bit? He only missed the pre-season games because of his specialized training. I think he's ready to play now.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about it. It's not like El Shaarawy's presence will affect our path.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 3 2011, 04:36 PM) *
You pretty much answered it yourself. Why leave an eligible player like El Shaarawy at home and include someone like Gattuso instead, who won't be playing 4 of the 6 games? Irrational.

Months? Aren't you exaggerating a little bit? He only missed the pre-season games because of his specialized training. I think he's ready to play now.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about it. It's not like El Shaarawy's presence will affect our path.

Well, that's what I read. But I really don't know how El Shaarawy is doing, nor what to expect from him. Do you? Maybe Allegri simply prefers 25, or 24 since the home-grown stuff, over him. There isn't really a reason to say El Shaarawy can't be left out.

Well,, one of those two games is vs Barça. And the two Barça games are the tough ones, the other four games not really. And if Allegri think Gattuso is an useful asset vs Barça, then it maybe is not so weird for him to call up Gattuso.
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Sep 3 2011, 02:50 PM) *
Well, that's what I read. But I really don't know how El Shaarawy is doing, nor what to expect from him. Do you? Maybe Allegri simply prefers 25, or 24 since the home-grown stuff, over him. There isn't really a reason to say El Shaarawy can't be left out.

Well,, one of those two games is vs Barça. And the two Barça games are the tough ones, the other four games not really. And if Allegri think Gattuso is an useful asset vs Barça, then it maybe is not so weird for him to call up Gattuso.

Rino will be an asset, yes. But to Barca, not us
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Sep 2 2011, 07:49 PM) *

Why should we let it go, do you mind me commenting or?

If you ask me, this is a stupid and Milan-unlike decision that can only be traced back to the clueless Allegri. Why not include Inzaghi, when you're playing in a group with Pilsen and BATE Borisov? It's not that this is a list of 22 players; and then at the same stroke include Rino who cannot be played for 4 out of 6 matches?

I think the inclusion of Inzaghi would not mind anyone; hell he scored 2 goals against Real Madrid just last year. And yes, he had an injury, but he managed to come back from his injuries earlier in his career why wouldn't he be able to do so now? Isn't this supposed to be some kind of a big goodbye for him, for god sake, we're playing BATE and Pilsen, we're not in some kind of a death group!

He's been nothing but consistent in Europe and I think he was a nice bonus, a player that would be full of motivation against the weak teams, while players like Seedorf and some others exactly miss that kind of determination in such matches.

What makes me even angrier is that it sounds like Pippo was expecting to be included; Allegri should have made his intentions earlier clear and give Pippo a chance to leave. He surely knows how much Pippo is motivated by playing in Europe, so he could have at least told him that before season start - that would have been fair.
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 3 2011, 08:17 PM) *
What makes me even angrier is that it sounds like Pippo was expecting to be included; Allegri should have made his intentions earlier clear and give Pippo a chance to leave. He surely knows how much Pippo is motivated by playing in Europe, so he could have at least told him that before season start - that would have been fair.

Fair enough. smile.gif He could definitely have adjusted with some other CL team, even via a one-year loan agreement. I'm sure there is no malicious intent from Allegri, it's more down to his naivety and clueless decision-making. But then, he included Gattuso, who really has little business in the group stages. What with the army of DMs at our disposal.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 3 2011, 05:17 PM) *
I think the inclusion of Inzaghi would not mind anyone;

Yup, just like his exclusion won't affect our plans at all.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 3 2011, 05:17 PM) *
And yes, he had an injury, but he managed to come back from his injuries earlier in his career why wouldn't he be able to do so now?

Err, because he's 38? It's impossible to recover from gave injuries when being so old. The majority of players have retired by that age.
Fillipo Simone
Err, because he's 38? It's impossible to recover from gave injuries when being so old. The majority of players have retired by that age.

Impossible? I wouldn't say impossible, I think Pippo has recovered. Anyway, this inclusion would mean a great deal to Pippo, while at the same time also only good to us; yet he did not do it. I don't think it's immensely wise, for something to be immensely wise you need to actually achieve something positive out of it. What's positive here? I wouldn't say a word if Allegri decided to keep for example talents like Berretta or Paloschi and test them against or CL opposition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.