Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contract Extentions
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Other
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bluesummers
It's been a while since i've created a topic, so here we go smile.gif

Now that the season is almost at its end, which players would you look to renew for next season?

Here is a list of players whose contracts expire at the end of the season.

GK:

Roma

DEF:

Jankulovski

Legrottalie

Nesta

MID:

Ambrosini

Seedorf

Pirlo

Van Bommel

FW:

Inzaghi

Jack Bauer
Pirlo and Nesta for two years, MVB and Pippo for one year. Not sure about Ambro - depends who can we can replace him with and if Rino is staying.

Seedorf should move on. We don't need Roma, Janku, Legro. I would also get rid of Oddo, Papa, Amelia (Marchetti is coming), Bonera and Antonini.
Jack Sparrow
I'd keep Roma, Nesta, the whole midfield and forward line for 60-70 % of their current wages and that would be it.

We could just need to buy maybe 2 reinforcements. 3 at max.

But I think Zee's problem is not so much wage as his first team opportunities.
han2503
GK:

Roma

DEF:
Nesta

MID:

Seedorf

Pirlo

Van Bommel

FW:

Inzaghi

Legro I don't really care about, Roma I think is someone who won't complain, and he is 3rd choice after all. Nesta is an obvious must imo, even if we bring in Mexes, we still need Nesta if we want to compete in the CL and the league. Having Ypes, and Sokratis for games against the like of Cesena is all well and good, but once you go above that level you need better backups. Still Nesta imo needs to be a starter for us next season, with Mexes 3rd choice to strp in for him or Silva in case of injuries or rotation.

Ambro imo is surplus, especially with VB in there who is miles ahead of him. Pirlo I would love to have stay on, but it's looking less and less likely. Seedorf, the same for me, but only if he's used as a squad player, without requiring him to play every 3 days, becuase that's where his perfomances drop to a ridiculous level of bad. VB is a definate.

Pippo I'd also keep, he doesn't bring up a fuss, waits his turn and always produces when that turn is given. an ideal top notch sub
CHU-LIP
Roma - stay, cheap and good third goalkeeper
Jankulovski - leave, obvious
Legrottalie - leave, unless Bonera leaves and Papastapoulos got loaned out, because we signed Mexes, and we need a fifth choice central defender
Nesta - stay, obvious
Ambrosini - stay, he and Van Bommel are two great anchor players, Ambrosini can also play other midfield positions
Seedorf - leave, inconsistent, doesn't earn to stay like others who give their best on concistent bases
Pirlo - leave, wants to be a starter and wanna earn too much, he can join Juventus, we can do better without him anyway, a great passer with great vision, but nowadays (since ages) it stops there, especially when played as anchor his weaknesses are showed, he can't defend well anymore, at least not consistent enough, far from it, and when as LCM, where he is better, still doesn't add other things like attacking skills, good shooting / goal threat, runs(lol), movement and so, like Seedorf does all better, even defending Seedorf does better, nah, Pirlo can stay if he's okay with rotation and earn way less, but he won't accept that
Van Bommel - stay, see Ambrosini, he and Ambro show good form way more often than Seedorf and Pirlo
Inzaghi - undefined, my advice to him would be he moves to a weaker team that plays CL (ala RĂ¡ul), I know he cares the most for scoring in Europe, and at Milan Robinho, Pato, Zlatan and Cassano are all better, he would be fifth choice for only two spots. To me he is welcome as fifth choice, but I don't wanna hear him complain to get playing time (in Europe), I fear he will do that
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 5 2011, 04:55 PM) *
Legrottalie - leave, unless Bonera leaves and Papastapoulos got loaned out, because we signed Mexes, and we need a fifth choice central defender

We can buy the other half of the rights for Astori and then we won't need Legro/Pappa/Bonera.
d'Arc.LP
I'd renew with :
Nesta - 2 years but as backup, not as first team player
Van Bommel - 1 year as backup
Seedorf - 1 year as backup
Pirlo - 2 years as first team player with the option to extend for another year
Inzaghi - 1 final year as back up
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ May 5 2011, 04:56 PM) *
We can buy the other half of the rights for Astori and then we won't need Legro/Pappa/Bonera.

Well, I don't know what are central defenders will be next season, point being, if keeping Legro means we would have 6+ central defenders then he should leave, he should only stay because else we would have four central defenders. About Astori, well, I want us to sign Mexes which is very likely to happen, that makes Astori third backup after Mexes and Yepes. He better can get some playing time elsewhere.

QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ May 5 2011, 05:29 PM) *
I'd renew with :

Good luck in finding someone better than Nesta. blink.gif
Same goes for Van Bommel.
Why keeping Seedorf and Pirlo, but let Ambrosini go? Ambrosini is way more consistent good preformer, he is worth more to us, and deserves a million times more to stay than the other two, and Ambrosini is most likely to earn little and be okay with backup role.

It's very funny you don't see Nesta as a starter anymore, but Pirlo you do, while we do well without him and Seedorf plays nowadays better than Pirlo would. We can do better than them, and we should.
X-Offender
I'd only keep Roma, Nesta, Van Bommel and Seedorf. Ambrosini can stay if Gattuso is joining the Russians, otherwise no. Pirlo has become a liability. With Van Bommel in front of the defense, his position would shift to side-midfield, and considering we'll sign Ganso there, he'd become a sub and I don't think he'd accept that.

Note: If Ambro and Pirlo are leaving (which is very likely), we need to sign a sub for Van Bommel. If we sign Essien, who can play both DM and SM, then we'd be gold. king.gif

Essien - Van Bommel - Ganso
Boateng

No Italians, woops! biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 5 2011, 05:55 PM) *
I'd only keep Roma, Nesta, Van Bommel and Seedorf. Ambrosini can stay if Gattuso is joining the Russians, otherwise no. Pirlo has become a liability. With Van Bommel in front of the defense, his position would shift to side-midfield, and considering we'll sign Ganso there, he'd become a sub and I don't think he'd accept that.

Note: If Ambro and Pirlo are leaving (which is very likely), we need to sign a sub for Van Bommel. If we sign Essien, who can play both DM and SM, then we'd be gold. king.gif

Essien - Van Bommel - Ganso
Boateng

No Italians, woops! biggrin.gif

I personally want Boateng as box-to-box next season, I think that is where we'll see his full potential, and from what I heard and saw of Ganso, yes he can play deeper in midfield, but his best qualities are shown when played as an AM.

Imo, as I said in the other thread, that midfield is way too physical and not enough creativity. Personally If I were Galliani, I'd do everything I can to keep Pirlo. Essien is nothing but a pipe dream imo, and something that is never going to happen.

Personally, I'd love it if our midfield looked something like this next season

Boateng--Van Bommel--Pirlo
Ganso

@ Chu, I think you're being way too harsh on Pirlo, yes he's had a terrible season due to injury, but this has been his first one in years where he missed an extended period of time out, after being one of the players who played most minutes in every season at Milan. Saying Pirlo is way past it but trying to hide Ambro's complete lack of footballing ability by saying that he's consistant... When was Ambo last consistant? Probably the first half of last season when he was one of our better players, but at this point in time Ambro shouldn't be on the pitch, last Sunday I was literally appaled watching him awkwardly running on the pitch, after having experienced the magnificance of Van Bommel these last few months. ambro cannot even win a ball decently and make a simple pass anymore.

For me, Pirlo, Nesta and an Bommel are first priority for a renewal. The rest we can do without
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 5 2011, 04:56 PM) *
Well, I don't know what are central defenders will be next season, point being, if keeping Legro means we would have 6+ central defenders then he should leave, he should only stay because else we would have four central defenders. About Astori, well, I want us to sign Mexes which is very likely to happen, that makes Astori third backup after Mexes and Yepes. He better can get some playing time elsewhere.

Good luck in finding someone better than Nesta. blink.gif
Same goes for Van Bommel.
Why keeping Seedorf and Pirlo, but let Ambrosini go? Ambrosini is way more consistent good preformer, he is worth more to us, and deserves a million times more to stay than the other two, and Ambrosini is most likely to earn little and be okay with backup role.

It's very funny you don't see Nesta as a starter anymore, but Pirlo you do, while we do well without him and Seedorf plays nowadays better than Pirlo would. We can do better than them, and we should.

We've already signed with Mexes (Like I was hoping for the last 4 seasons) and we have the perfect defence Mexes-Silva. I'm not saying Nesta should never play, but he can't do it anymore, maybe he would play in some games when facing strikers like Milito, Gomez, but when playing against fast strikers like Rooney, he should be on the bench. Either way he's to old to play in everygame.
Van Bommel is playing very good, i must admit it, but he's not that good that he can not be replaced. He's already 34 and I'm pretty sure he can't be a starter next season, considering we have Pirlo, Seedorf, Boateng, Flamini, Gattuso and possibly Essien innocent.gif.
Seedorf proved he can still play in highest level and have good influence in squad, so he'd make a hell of a backup.
Pirlo is still young. This season he faced an injury, but he is great playmaker and if we buy another good midfielder that can help him in midfield, he can shine again, but this time playing more forward, mabye Allegri should consider playing him as trequartista or in center of midfield like Xavi plays.
Ambrosini is good, real good, but we have lot of players with similar attributes to him. Gattuso, Flamini, Ambrosini, and a possible signing would be fighting for the same possition in midfield, that we can not offer. I'd keep Ambrosini if we manage to sell Gattuso, but I don't see that happening.

If there's a player we can't do without, that's Thiago Silva and that's it. Yes we can play without Pirlo, Seedorf and even Nesta. But Pirlo is the youngest or to say better less older from them. His abilities are unquestionable, not that he's my favorite player of all times but his creativity is still very good and then he's so unique, we should keep him. After all some months ago, when Pirlo got the injury, Galliani promised him new contract, of course with a cut from his wage but still a new contract means he'll be here for longer.

Player rating from fans can be very subjective topic and it's not necessary for all to agree on a player rating. Depends on how you watch football biggrin.gif

EDIT:

My midfield (with transfers) for next season:

Boateng - Essien - Pirlo
Ganso
acid911
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 5 2011, 08:56 PM) *

Well said. king.gif Besides he is the de facto captain as far as I am concerned after Paolo. He should definitely stay.
Dracoris
QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ May 5 2011, 11:29 AM) *
I'd renew with :

The is all completely contradictory to what this season has told us about each player. I will vote for bias based on your pictures smile.gif smile.gif

+1 to Chu-Lip's ideas and selections
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (Dracoris @ May 5 2011, 06:55 PM) *
The is all completely contradictory to what this season has told us about each player. I will vote for bias based on your pictures smile.gif smile.gif

+1 to Chu-Lip's ideas and selections

But you can't rate players just based on their performances on last season. Pirlo was injured and couldn't play, this doesn't mean he was worst than any other midfielder.
In other hand, those who had the opportunity to play and wasted it should be sold, like we did with Ronaldinho.

After all it's my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right.
han2503
Can't agree with the Ambosini issue here. The man is not good enough to keep. And considering we have Rino for another year, it should be an either/or thing, so Ambro should go
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 5 2011, 07:14 PM) *
Can't agree with the Ambosini issue here. The man is not good enough to keep. And considering we have Rino for another year, it should be an either/or thing, so Ambro should go

+1

That's what I'm trying to say smile.gif
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 5 2011, 08:14 PM) *

I see it completely different than you. I see Van Bommel and Ambrosini as our anchor mids, and Gattuso and Flamini as our RCDM's. If Ambrosini leaves, that leaves us only with Van Bommel as good option for the anchor spot. Therefore I would keep both Van Bommel and Ambrosini. So I would not say goodbye to Ambrosini because of Gattuso, but the opposite may because Ambrosini can play Gattuso's spot also, but Gattuso nor Flamini can play anchor. And we should know by now that nor Pirlo is a good option for that.

Also, saying that Ambrosini is not good enough to keep is showing lack of appreciation for his many good games. I actually fully disagree with you there, as I believe Ambrosini has been decent most of his games for Milan.
William405
But,I think our midfield should consist of a dm,box to box player and a creative player.

Creative players:Pirlo,Seedorf.
Dm:,Strasser,Ambrosini,Van Bommel,Gattuso,Flamini
Box 2 Box:Boateng,Flamini can play as a box2box too.

I think that way,our midfield would be less defensive.So,I believe we should let go of Gattuso or Ambrosini(I prefer keeping Ambro).And,we should buy a box to box player that can back up Boateng.If,Seeforf or Pirlo leaves then we'll have to replace them also.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 5 2011, 07:38 PM) *
@ Chu, I think you're being way too harsh on Pirlo, yes he's had a terrible season due to injury, but this has been his first one in years where he missed an extended period of time out, after being one of the players who played most minutes in every season at Milan. Saying Pirlo is way past it but trying to hide Ambro's complete lack of footballing ability by saying that he's consistant... When was Ambo last consistant? Probably the first half of last season when he was one of our better players, but at this point in time Ambro shouldn't be on the pitch, last Sunday I was literally appaled watching him awkwardly running on the pitch, after having experienced the magnificance of Van Bommel these last few months. ambro cannot even win a ball decently and make a simple pass anymore.

For me, Pirlo, Nesta and an Bommel are first priority for a renewal. The rest we can do without

It may sound harsh on Pirlo, but we're talking about one of our big earners, and one who wants to keep it that way. I understand Pirlo wanting to be a starter at his club and so. I really like Pirlo and he is welcome to stay as a rotation player (and earning like that). But like earlier said, I'm pretty sure he won't settle for that, therefore in my opinion he should leave (and he seems gladly doing that joining Juventus) and we should replace him with a better player. I just don't find Pirlo as good as he wants to be at the club anymore. He and Seedorf should be replaced by better players, soon enough this has to happen anyway. Getting Ganso would be awesome, a must buy, we seem doing that, and also Sahin who is up to grabs, but he seems to join Real Madrid. cry.gif I could live with Nasri (and Ganso) also (as Seedorf and Pirlo their replacements). Anywho, we'll see what happens. Thankfully Ganso seems likely to join us. That's 1 already. smile.gif

Ambrosini and Van Bommel have to be replaced sooner or later also, but I am more satisfied about them than Seedorf and Pirlo. Van Bommel shows good skill we seem all to agree with. And those who remember it correctly know Ambrosini has been good earlier this season also, previous season Ambrosini has been very good in many games (I remember very well Ronaldinho and Ambrosini being our best players most of the times). Ambrosini has always been good for us, consistent enough. Seedorf obviously isn't consistent, and Pirlo has become - like X-Offender said - a liability. That Pirlo still is an option as anchor is already enough reason to let him go. Even Seedorf plays there better. Pirlo really has become a very limited player which has make him average. Sure, if you only judge his passing he's still great, but there's more in football. And it's so annoying and unfair to judge Ambrosini on one last match (which was his first since a long time), especially since Pirlo was even worse lately when he returned! An important difference between Pirlo and Ambrosini is what they want to be and therefore earn. Pirlo demands way too much.

QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ May 5 2011, 07:41 PM) *
We've already signed with Mexes (Like I was hoping for the last 4 seasons) and we have the perfect defence Mexes-Silva. I'm not saying Nesta should never play, but he can't do it anymore, maybe he would play in some games when facing strikers like Milito, Gomez, but when playing against fast strikers like Rooney, he should be on the bench. Either way he's to old to play in everygame.
Van Bommel is playing very good, i must admit it, but he's not that good that he can not be replaced. He's already 34 and I'm pretty sure he can't be a starter next season, considering we have Pirlo, Seedorf, Boateng, Flamini, Gattuso and possibly Essien innocent.gif.
Seedorf proved he can still play in highest level and have good influence in squad, so he'd make a hell of a backup.
Pirlo is still young. This season he faced an injury, but he is great playmaker and if we buy another good midfielder that can help him in midfield, he can shine again, but this time playing more forward, mabye Allegri should consider playing him as trequartista or in center of midfield like Xavi plays.
Ambrosini is good, real good, but we have lot of players with similar attributes to him. Gattuso, Flamini, Ambrosini, and a possible signing would be fighting for the same possition in midfield, that we can not offer. I'd keep Ambrosini if we manage to sell Gattuso, but I don't see that happening.

If there's a player we can't do without, that's Thiago Silva and that's it. Yes we can play without Pirlo, Seedorf and even Nesta. But Pirlo is the youngest or to say better less older from them. His abilities are unquestionable, not that he's my favorite player of all times but his creativity is still very good and then he's so unique, we should keep him. After all some months ago, when Pirlo got the injury, Galliani promised him new contract, of course with a cut from his wage but still a new contract means he'll be here for longer.

I like you being all for signing Mexes, but I still rate Nesta. Hopefully Mexes will be a good replacement for Nesta after next season, being backup for coming season. Also I like you saying that Thiago Silva is the one who we cannot miss; I fully agree with you there. I think I've said enough about Pirlo, and knowing your Pirlo love, well, that explains enough. And in my previous post I explained some more about Ambrosini.

One last thing though. About that Pirlo being the youngest of the oldest is completely irrelevant to me. All are not young anymore to keep it nice, and all have no future, won't give us money anymore, etc. All are options for short term, therefore I purely look who I find the best to keep, based on consistency/preformances, what they demand, who we can use the most, which are best to be replaced with new awesome signings, etc.
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 5 2011, 06:38 PM) *
I see it completely different than you. I see Van Bommel and Ambrosini as our anchor mids, and Gattuso and Flamini as our RCDM's. If Ambrosini leaves, that leaves us only with Van Bommel as good option for the anchor spot. Therefore I would keep both Van Bommel and Ambrosini. So I would not say goodbye to Ambrosini because of Gattuso, but the opposite may because Ambrosini can play Gattuso's spot also, but Gattuso nor Flamini can play anchor. And we should know by now that nor Pirlo is a good option for that.

Also, saying that Ambrosini is not good enough to keep is showing lack of appreciation for his many good games. I actually fully disagree with you there, as I believe Ambrosini has been decent most of his games for Milan.

I agree with you when you're bracketing the players under a role they play. But I don't feel that it is necassary to have all those DMs, even if technically speaking we would have backups for both types. Should VB be out, Flamini and Rino can be played both to compensate for that. Ambro this season has been average at best. Imo both Rino and Ambro offer very limited input to the team whether coming off the bench or starting, both players are pretty much finished at this point in time imo. But seeing as Rino already has a contract for next season then he should be the one to stay, should Rino accept a move to Russia or a Daudi club, then sure keep Ambro on. But imo both aren't needed by this club, and imo letting them go will only help the team move forward. Pirlo is younger and sure this season he's been hit and miss aside from all the injuries, but imo he's only a liability when played in the DM position, he was amazing at the beginning of the season playing left midfield, and should he stay that's where he should play next season. Pirlo only becomes a liability when the coach plays him in a position that he cannot handle anymore.

QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 5 2011, 07:54 PM) *
It may sound harsh on Pirlo, but we're talking about one of our big earners, and one who wants to keep it that way. I understand Pirlo wanting to be a starter at his club and so. I really like Pirlo and he is welcome to stay as a rotation player (and earning like that). But like earlier said, I'm pretty sure he won't settle for that, therefore in my opinion he should leave (and he seems gladly doing that joining Juventus) and we should replace him with a better player. I just don't find Pirlo as good as he wants to be at the club anymore. He and Seedorf should be replaced by better players, soon enough this has to happen anyway. Getting Ganso would be awesome, a must buy, we seem doing that, and also Sahin who is up to grabs, but he seems to join Real Madrid. cry.gif I could live with Nasri (and Ganso) also (as Seedorf and Pirlo their replacements). Anywho, we'll see what happens. Thankfully Ganso seems likely to join us. That's 1 already. smile.gif

Ambrosini and Van Bommel have to be replaced sooner or later also, but I am more satisfied about them than Seedorf and Pirlo. Van Bommel shows good skill we seem all to agree with. And those who remember it correctly know Ambrosini has been good earlier this season also, previous season Ambrosini has been very good in many games (I remember very well Ronaldinho and Ambrosini being our best players most of the times). Ambrosini has always been good for us, consistent enough. Seedorf obviously isn't consistent, and Pirlo has become - like X-Offender said - a liability. That Pirlo still is an option as anchor is already enough reason to let him go. Even Seedorf plays there better. Pirlo really has become a very limited player which has make him average. Sure, if you only judge his passing he's still great, but there's more in football. And it's so annoying and unfair to judge Ambrosini on one last match (which was his first since a long time), especially since Pirlo was even worse lately when he returned! An important difference between Pirlo and Ambrosini is what they want to be and therefore earn. Pirlo demands way too much.

I think VB has still a good 2 years left in him, and imo the club should ensure to keep him. Ambro hasn't been good since last season around January, this season he's been ranging from average to bad imo. Gattuso has produced better performances then him, and I'm talking about when both were fit. Sure it's not fair to jugde on a single game, but as I said, he's had an average season and the game on Sunday was just appaling to watch even from someone coming from a long injury lay off. Pirlo was only bad against Palermo, where he played in fron of the defense, in a very attacking midfield, thus he was basically left wide open all game, of course he was going to suffer.

Also I don't know where you got it from that he does not want to play for Milan as anything less then a top earner and starter. Pirlo comes from a very wealthy family. I highly doubt it that this is about money, and I doubt it even more that Pirlo wants to go to the sham that has become Juve at this point in time in his career. No CL football and I doubt Juve would be willing to pay him more the us...
Dracoris
I'm like you guys, I love Pirlo. But Within the last 3 years, every time he has been injured extensively, we have won games. Like, a lot of games.
Rossoneri7
I cant believe it !!!! Siamo noi, siamo noi ... i Campioni dell'Italia siamo noi devilsmiley.gif

Forza MILAAAAAANNNNN !!!!!!!!! devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif

GK:

Roma - Leave.

DEF:

Jankulovski - Leave.

Legrottalie - Leave.

Nesta - Leave.

MID:

Ambrosini - Leave.

Seedorf - STAY !!!!

Pirlo - Leave.

Van Bommel - Leave.

FW:

Inzaghi - I recommend shelving the #9 shirt when he decides to call it a day, after he wins us the 8th european trophy that is devil.gif

Well done lads ... I am still in disbelief, despite the team showing impressive signs of dominance domestically and the fact that we have been up top since November ... I am still not grasping how big this moment really is cry.gif We win the title and relieve merda of over four years of dominance, this truly is a remarkable turning point. Our fortunes change and hopefully this gives the team a bigger lift to go after the most coveted prize for Milan ... No.8 96.gif
il_diavolo_mtl
IMO all can go except Nesta and MVB2
amancik
I agree, Nesta and Mark Van Bommel are must new renew.
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 6 2011, 05:23 AM) *
I cant believe it !!!! Siamo noi, siamo noi ... i Campioni dell'Italia siamo noi devilsmiley.gif

Forza MILAAAAAANNNNN !!!!!!!!! devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif

Well done lads ... I am still in disbelief, despite the team showing impressive signs of dominance domestically and the fact that we have been up top since November ... I am still not grasping how big this moment really is cry.gif We win the title and relieve merda of over four years of dominance, this truly is a remarkable turning point. Our fortunes change and hopefully this gives the team a bigger lift to go after the most coveted prize for Milan ... No.8 96.gif

lol Seedorf is the only one you'd keep? biggrin.gif
dst
I don't want Pirlo to stay... because he'll be played again deep in front of the defense where he's not effective anymore... it's pointless. People have figured out how to stop him easily.

Him being played there and Seedorf playing more than anyone else in the last 4 seasons despite his age and never getting a rest are two big mysteries to me.
X-Offender
Han, I don't think you're considering the fact that Pirlo is this close to leaving. His agent has been negotiating with Juventus for some time now, and it won't take long before he's announced as their new player. So if I were you, I'd forget him and would better concentrate on building a successful team without him.

Also, I don't want to sound repetitive, but Ganso is not a trequartista. I saw him personally in a game for Santos, and I've read many articles that describe him as a deep-lying midfielder, either playing on the left or right side of a diamond-shaped midfield. Also, there was an interview with Boateng today on Il Corriere dello Sport where he clearly stated that he's an advanced midfielder and that he's going to keep playing there. So, as things stand right now, I can bet a fortune that our midfield next season is going to look like this:

Gattuso - Van Bommel - Ganso
Boateng
Dracoris
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 6 2011, 09:48 AM) *
Han, I don't think you're considering the fact that Pirlo is this close to leaving. His agent has been negotiating with Juventus for some time now, and it won't take long before he's announced as their new player. So if I were you, I'd forget him and would better concentrate on building a successful team without him.

Also, I don't want to sound repetitive, but Ganso is not a trequartista. I saw him personally in a game for Santos, and I've read many articles that describe him as a deep-lying midfielder, either playing on the left or right side of a diamond-shaped midfield. Also, there was an interview with Boateng today on Il Corriere dello Sport where he clearly stated that he's an advanced midfielder and that he's going to keep playing there. So, as things stand right now, I can bet a fortune that our midfield next season is going to look like this:

Boateng

Looks great.....minus Gattuso. Dear heavens if we changed that name to Essien......CL anyone?
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 6 2011, 02:48 PM) *

Boateng

I personally think that his agent is keeping his options open. Why Pirlo would want to go there is beyond me.

As for Ganso, I've seen and read of him playing both positions, and imo Boateng is just not an AM, sure he says he wants to play there, but that's the usual talk from players, it's the current position he's playing in, of course he's not going to say that he wants to play in another position.

And imo, that midfield is still not good enough, Gattuso's side is a huge weak spot, Boateng does not deliver any incisive passes for the forwards to profit from, in the league it will work, but I can't see us going far with it in the CL. Like Dracoris said, if there was Essien instead of Rino then we can start thinking about it, but Essien is nothing bu a dream.

Also imo, we'd need more creativity in that midfield, idieally it should be 2 creative players (Ganso and ???) and 2 defensive/physical players (VB and Boateng)
milanbuf88
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 6 2011, 02:25 PM) *
I personally think that his agent is keeping his options open. Why Pirlo would want to go there is beyond me.

As for Ganso, I've seen and read of him playing both positions, and imo Boateng is just not an AM, sure he says he wants to play there, but that's the usual talk from players, it's the current position he's playing in, of course he's not going to say that he wants to play in another position.

And imo, that midfield is still not good enough, Gattuso's side is a huge weak spot, Boateng does not deliver any incisive passes for the forwards to profit from, in the league it will work, but I can't see us going far with it in the CL. Like Dracoris said, if there was Essien instead of Rino then we can start thinking about it, but Essien is nothing bu a dream.

Also imo, we'd need more creativity in that midfield, idieally it should be 2 creative players (Ganso and ???) and 2 defensive/physical players (VB and Boateng)

If we keep Pirlo and get Ganso then I would go with this midfield:

KPB-Van Bommel-Pirlo
Ganso

Definitely CL quality when combined with the rest of the team.
X-Offender
Ganso has a superb technique and vision, but he's not fast. He doesn't have that acceleration and speed that would make him an ideal trequartista. Of course, he can play there as well, but I'd like to think that we've achieved a game philosophy (strong anchor i.e. Van Bommel, creative deep-lying midfielder i.e. Seedorf and dynamic advanced midfielder i.e. Boateng) that we should maintain and enhance following next season. I like the idea of Boateng behind the strikers because he's fast, strong and provides deadly insertions from the back. I see no reason why we should stop from how we've been playing in the last two months or so. We only need some new actors instead of Gattuso and Seedorf, and the trick's done. We've found the substitute of Seedorf in Ganso, now we only need to find a better DM than Gattuso.
acid911
Well put, X-Off. king.gif Very much agreed.
milanbuf88
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 6 2011, 07:28 PM) *
Ganso has a superb technique and vision, but he's not fast. He doesn't have that acceleration and speed that would make him an ideal trequartista. Of course, he can play there as well, but I'd like to think that we've achieved a game philosophy (strong anchor i.e. Van Bommel, creative deep-lying midfielder i.e. Seedorf and dynamic advanced midfielder i.e. Boateng) that we should maintain and enhance following next season. I like the idea of Boateng behind the strikers because he's fast, strong and provides deadly insertions from the back. I see no reason why we should stop from how we've been playing in the last two months or so. We only need some new actors instead of Gattuso and Seedorf, and the trick's done. We've found the substitute of Seedorf in Ganso, now we only need to find a better DM than Gattuso.

I'd be ok with that but the key would be finding a starter for gattuso but Idk if we have enough money for Ganso and a gattuso replacement.
X-Offender
QUOTE (milanbuf88 @ May 7 2011, 04:14 AM) *
I'd be ok with that but the key would be finding a starter for gattuso but Idk if we have enough money for Ganso and a gattuso replacement.

Berlusconi has promised a successful signing campaign this summer, thus I think another quality midfielder dwells within the club's budget. Essien would be great, but I wouldn't mind if we signed an Italian player instead. I don't want us to become like Inter and field a 100% foreign line-up. We should maintain some Italian identity. In this regard, I'd go after Nocerino of Palermo. He's very much like Gattuso, but younger and better skilled. He's done great things at Palermo in recent years.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 6 2011, 11:28 PM) *

We'd still need someone to come in for Pirlo, Cigarini has been mentioned, I'd take him if he were to be a squad player, he's young and talented, and can improve as well. Maybe he'll become an important aspect of our midfield and take Rino's place. I really don't want to see us starting with one of our oold aurd next season. Ambro and Rino must stay as subs, if not they should leave, they're not good enough anymore, especially if we're trying to do some damage in the CL

QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 7 2011, 02:47 AM) *
Berlusconi has promised a successful signing campaign this summer, thus I think another quality midfielder dwells within the club's budget. Essien would be great, but I wouldn't mind if we signed an Italian player instead. I don't want us to become like Inter and field a 100% foreign line-up. We should maintain some Italian identity. In this regard, I'd go after Nocerino of Palermo. He's very much like Gattuso, but younger and better skilled. He's done great things at Palermo in recent years.

I like him, but whe I see Palermo I can't see it happening. When was the last time we bought a good player off of them?

Personally I'd like to see us sign at least 3 players for the midfield, and remove at least 2 of our old gaurd. Seedorf and Ambro would be ideal for me. I know some don't agree but that's how I see it. If we re-sign Ambro then we'll have both him and Rino to contend with.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Dracoris @ May 6 2011, 03:48 AM) *
I'm like you guys, I love Pirlo. But Within the last 3 years, every time he has been injured extensively, we have won games. Like, a lot of games.

+1. so much for the "Milan cannot function without Pirlo" talks. he maybe makes us play a more beautiful game, but without him we've proved to win ugly easier.

Still, I think he should stay. same as Ambro. Rino can go, as well as Zee. MvBII MUST stay! it'd be madness not to renew with him after his great performances.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 7 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Personally I'd like to see us sign at least 3 players for the midfield, and remove at least 2 of our old gaurd. Seedorf and Ambro would be ideal for me. I know some don't agree but that's how I see it. If we re-sign Ambro then we'll have both him and Rino to contend with.

That we disagree is obvious, but let me ask one question to you: when is the last time one of Ambrosini and Gattuso has played in the position of the other? How much you like talking about one leaving the club, being both ''DMs'', doesn't change the fact that our midfield exists of an attacking midfielder (none of them), the playmaker on left-central (none of them), an anchor (Ambrosini, never Gattuso, as he cannot play that, nor can and won't Flamini, and Pirlo filling in that role when Van Bommel cannot is a horrific thought), and a recht-central DM (which is Gattuso, Ambrosini could play that too though it's been since forever that has happened). So you may could talk about them both being DMs, but that's way too simplistic. You can't deny how Milan midfield works, so it should be obvious your reason to let go of Ambrosini is irrelevant, just not a proper one. I wonder what midfield you got in mind when Van Bommel gets hurt or suspended.

Il Diavoli at least gave a proper reason mentioning Strasser as the backup for the anchor spot. I think Strasser has great potential to become one. The idea of having all of Van Bommel, Ambrosini and Strasser has got my preference though, giving us great depth but not too much. And we still have yet to wait and see how Strasser would fill in that spot in the present. If we got two players (in Van Bommel and Ambrosini) for the anchor spot, and two for the right-central defensive midfield (Flamini and Gattuso) spot, then Strasser would be third choice for both spots. Of course I would prefer to have Essien over one of Flamini and Gattuso. If we cannot get an abvious improvement there, it's okay with me. Improving our other midfield spots is more necessary.
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 7 2011, 12:08 PM) *
That we disagree is obvious, but let me ask one question to you: when is the last time one of Ambrosini and Gattuso has played in the position of the other? How much you like talking about one leaving the club, being both ''DMs'', doesn't change the fact that our midfield exists of an attacking midfielder (none of them), the playmaker on left-central (none of them), an anchor (Ambrosini, never Gattuso, as he cannot play that, nor can and won't Flamini, and Pirlo filling in that role when Van Bommel cannot is a horrific thought), and a recht-central DM (which is Gattuso, Ambrosini could play that too though it's been since forever that has happened). So you may could talk about them both being DMs, but that's way too simplistic. You can't deny how Milan midfield works, so it should be obvious your reason to let go of Ambrosini is irrelevant, just not a proper one. I wonder what midfield you got in mind when Van Bommel gets hurt or suspended.

Il Diavoli at least gave a proper reason mentioning Strasser as the backup for the anchor spot. I think Strasser has great potential to become one. The idea of having all of Van Bommel, Ambrosini and Strasser has got my preference though, giving us great depth but not too much. And we still have yet to wait and see how Strasser would fill in that spot in the present. If we got two players (in Van Bommel and Ambrosini) for the anchor spot, and two for the right-central defensive midfield (Flamini and Gattuso) spot, then Strasser would be third choice for both spots. Of course I would prefer to have Essien over one of Flamini and Gattuso. If we cannot get an abvious improvement there, it's okay with me. Improving our other midfield spots is more necessary.

If Van Bommel is out the it could be

Ganso--Flamini--Rino

It doesn't always have to be a playersitting in front of the defense, we've played this way hundreds of times and did well. Flamini would compensate for the loss of VB, even if he interprets the role differently. And it's not like Ambro delivers what VB does, Ambro is just not that type of player, he lets the idea that he can be more then a DM get to him, start moving forward recklessly, makes idiotic fouls when he can't keep up etc. Ambro is just not the answer for when VB is out, he can no longer be, he's a finished player, I'd rather have Strasser there, but as X-off pointed out, he'll most likely be sent to Genoa as part of some deal.

Personally I'd like to see us going for a backup for VB, Ambro is just not the solution for us, no matter how much you say that he's the only one that can play the position because that is not the case. When are we going to stop relying these players? This season because we've removed our dependency from them we've won the league. Having Ambro injured was a blessing for us this season, because I could have seen him being started all these past games when he was out, at least with Rino he doesn't try sh!t that he can never dream of actually doing right, whereas Ambro who thinks he's a skilled box-to-box player :rolleyes.gif
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 7 2011, 01:47 PM) *
Having Ambro injured was a blessing for us this season, because I could have seen him being started all these past games when he was out, at least with Rino he doesn't try sh!t that he can never dream of actually doing right, whereas Ambro who thinks he's a skilled box-to-box player :rolleyes.gif

Ambrosini's box-to-boxing has done us huge favors over the years. And I remember you complaining so much Gattuso playing as our box-to-box midfielder so much this season.. tongue.gif so wtf are you talking about?

Ganso--Flamini--Rino

That really isn't impressing me the least. It makes our way too dependant on Ganso's playmaking abilities and so. Flamini in the middle? Really? He is best to play wider with his pace and going forward than just sitting in front of the defense unable to make proper passes from there. Ambrosini would be a way better choice to play between Ganso and Gattuso (or Flamini of course), it's not even close.

And it's not like Ambro delivers what VB does, Ambro is just not that type of player, he lets the idea that he can be more then a DM get to him, start moving forward recklessly, makes idiotic fouls when he can't keep up etc.

Of course Ambrosini is not the same as Van Bommel (but who is?), but Ambrosini comes way closer to that than Flamini. Van Bommel's passing is by far the best from our DMs, but Ambrosini has got other things he does better than Van Bommel like his physics, and Ambrosini's passing abilities at anchor position beats Flamini's easily. And making idiotic fouls, lol, that has Flamini written all over. laugh.gif

Personally I'd like to see us going for a backup for VB, Ambro is just not the solution for us, no matter how much you say that he's the only one that can play the position because that is not the case. When are we going to stop relying these players? This season because we've removed our dependency from them we've won the league.

Keeping both Van Bommel and Ambrosini avoids dependancy. I feel that Milan will be very dependant on Van Bommel if Ambrosini leaves (unless we sign someone else for that). If Van Bommel is out and we have to play Pirlo or Flamini in front of the defense, then it's not looking good for us.
Dracoris
Van Bommel--------Pirlo

Games Started
13-----------------17

Record
10W 2D 1L ------------8W 5D 4L

Team Goals Scored
27 -----------------25

Team Goals Conceded
6--- ------------------- 18

Interesting stats.

Stats credit: goal.com

X-Offender
I agree with CHU-LIP. Ambrosini as a substitute of Van Bommel sounds about right to me. Not only that, but he can also play as SCM, which brings more depth to our team. Flamini can't play in front of the defense anymore, otherwise Allegri would have done so against Tottenham when we lacked a proper anchor.

Supposing Gattuso signs for the Russians and we sign another DM (for example, Nocerino), then we'd have two perfectly coordinated line-ups that would let us be competitive on all fronts next season.

STARTING LINE-UP

Abbiati
Abate - Nesta - T. Silva - Taiwo
Nocerino - Van Bommel - Ganso
Boateng
Pato - Ibrahimovic

SECONDARY LINE-UP

Amelia
Zambrotta - Mexes - Yepes - Emanuelson
Flamini - Ambrosini - Seedorf
Robinho
Inzaghi - Cassano

We'd have alternatives in every position. Even the secondary line-up is quite competitive IMO.
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 7 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Ambrosini's box-to-boxing has done us huge favors over the years. And I remember you complaining so much Gattuso playing as our box-to-box midfielder so much this season.. tongue.gif so wtf are you talking about?

Lol what favours? shooting a crossing into the stands?

Sure i complained about Rino doing it, but that was when we were playing with the 3 DMs and Rino was forced to push up and link up with the forward, that had headslap writtn all over it. Rino's usual game is simple, win it, pass it. And that's that. Ambro is anything but, that is why he could never sub VB, who is the master of simple play. Ambro just dilly dallies on the ball, trying to make some long pass that he could never pull off if his life depended on it. Trying to bomb forward then pulling out something ridiculous like a shot to the stands or a cross that could ival Oddo's.

That really isn't impressing me the least. It makes our way too dependant on Ganso's playmaking abilities and so. Flamini in the middle? Really? He is best to play wider with his pace and going forward than just sitting in front of the defense unable to make proper passes from there. Ambrosini would be a way better choice to play between Ganso and Gattuso (or Flamini of course), it's not even close.

And you think Ambro will aid us in the playmakng aspect of our play? He's a limited player just like Rino, both are old age DMs that these days would never get into any top teams. The only reason why Rino is sill tollerable for me is because of his simple play. Ambro just does not do that, which ruins the concept of the anchor infront of the defence. A player that plays in that position needs to win it and pass it quickly to a team mate who can distribute it. Ambro thinks that he can be a distributer and sually ends up making bad passes or losing the ball.

Of course Ambrosini is not the same as Van Bommel (but who is?), but Ambrosini comes way closer to that than Flamini. Van Bommel's passing is by far the best from our DMs, but Ambrosini has got other things he does better than Van Bommel like his physics, and Ambrosini's passing abilities at anchor position beats Flamini's easily. And making idiotic fouls, lol, that has Flamini written all over. laugh.gif

As I said, I wouldn't want Flamini in front of the defence, that's not a diamond, it's a flat midfield where you have both Rino and Flamini pressing, it's way we always played before VB, we never had a true anchor. Like I said, it's the way the player interprits the position, it's not something fixed that if he plays there then he has to play that way.

Also I highly doubt that Ambro would be able to pull off playing as the anchor, he's not disciplined enough for it and does not have the positional sense either.

Keeping both Van Bommel and Ambrosini avoids dependancy. I feel that Milan will be very dependant on Van Bommel if Ambrosini leaves (unless we sign someone else for that). If Van Bommel is out and we have to play Pirlo or Flamini in front of the defense, then it's not looking good for us.

So we're going to have 4 DMs in the team but we'll most likely end up with just 2 (if that) creative players. That is not good. A few injuries and we'll end up playing with 3 DMs again and hoping for Ibra to pull something out his @ss from a long ball.
TriniKing_CE
Sunday 8 May, 2011
Allegri 'doesn't want Pirlo'

Assistant manager Mauro Tassotti confirms Andrea Pirlo is no longer required at Milan. “Max Allegri wants different characteristics.”

Veteran Pirlo’s contract expires on June 30 and it does not look as if he will be offered an extension.

“Allegri wants a player with more defensive characteristics compared to Andrea when sitting in front of the defence,” said Tassotti during the Scudetto celebrations.

“We wanted to see how he could do in a wider role, but then Andrea started to have injury problems that kept him off the field for many months.

“I don’t know if we’ll take different paths now, as that is a problem we’ll have to wait and see about.

“In any case, Pirlo remains an important player not just for Milan, but for Italian football.”

It is widely expected that Pirlo will join Juventus on a free transfer, ending his 10-year stay at San Siro.

Link: http://football-italia.net/may8j.html

sleep.gif - I guess all good things do come to an end. sad.gif
han2503
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ May 8 2011, 12:24 PM) *
Link: http://football-italia.net/may8j.html

sleep.gif - I guess all good things do come to an end. sad.gif

Tasotti never actually said that Pirlo was not needed, but that Allegri wants a defensive player in front of the defense and the creative player wide. Which is what they did with Pirlo but injuries ruined it, thus Seedorf was played there.

I think should Pirlo stay on, it is where we'll see him. If not next season we'll see who is brought in to play that position
CHU-LIP
@han

When it comes to Ambrosini: are you just trolling and/or hating? You go very far when it comes to Ambrosini. Ambrosini has played anchor many times before Van Bommel joined us, and not only this season. He has had great games there, and even when we played bad, he still played mostly well.

Ambrosini is very disciplined. Whenever we play big games Ambrosini showed this, unlike Flamini, who I really think can become a very good DM for us (not an anchor), but he is the one who lacks discipline, a lot. Before we signed Van Bommel, Ambrosini has been a must play for me in the big games.

But seriously, you seem to forget all the good things Ambrosini has done. I don't get how you are able to do so, I really don't. But all the things he has done wrong you remember. This way you subcribe Ambrosini as things he completely isn't. You critism him for aspects he's good at, and an other player who actually sucks at that you prefer then, seeming not to know that player actually is way worse in that than Ambrosini, or simply forgotten other players flaws (as long as it's not Ambrosini you're good at that, especially with Pirlo). Making everyone better than Ambrosini in everything in your eyes. Really, when it comes to Ambrosini, I don't get you. You are way too subjective, (and sorry to say this) talking rubbish and nonsense non-stop when it's about Ambrosini.
han2503
The key point there chu being in the past. When you speak about Ambro doing consistantly well for us playing as the anchor, you have to look back a few years already. He's not 25, it's not like he'll imrpove on that or maintain a good run of form for longer then a month.

Also, did you see yesterday how Ambro played so well in the Rino position? While he was cr@p as the anchor against Bologna, that's a god point to look at. Ambrosini is not really player like VB, VB looks like he barely runs all game yet he makes one interception after the other, it's the positioning that counts and Ambro does not have that. Imo he's a cross between Rino and VB.

Anyway, we'll see what happens, personally I want both him and Rino to be let go, this is a good time for them to bow out. Rino can make tons of money in Russio while Ambro can be a great player for a smaller Serie A team. But Milan simply cannot rely on these 2 anymore, and if Ambro does get an extension it will only be due to the internal politics within the club and nothing else

Also I think you miss the concept of forum trolling. I've been doing that all season, but it's mainly done on Inter and Juve forums tongue.gif
CHU-LIP
Last season Ambrosini has had many good games. That's not many years back, that's not 25 years old. Ambrosini was one of our best players last season.

It's so unfair to compare Ambrosini to Van Bommel and call Ambrosini bad that way! Van Bommel is one of the best defensive midfielders there is. Let's compare Pato to Messi and call him awful too. Pirlo sucks a lot compared to Van Bommel.

You are really, really good at finding ways to make/call Ambrosini (look) bad. It's annoying.
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 8 2011, 01:26 PM) *
Last season Ambrosini has had many good games. That's not many years back, that's not 25 years old. Ambrosini was one of our best players last season.

It's so unfair to compare Ambrosini to Van Bommel and call Ambrosini bad that way! Van Bommel is one of the best defensive midfielders there is. Let's compare Pato to Messi and call him awful too. Pirlo sucks a lot compared to Van Bommel.

You are really, really good at finding ways to make/call Ambrosini (look) bad. It's annoying.

Lat season Ambro was good for half a season. then he went downhill, that is my poin exactly. How can you rely on a player who will be 35 next season and can barely maintain his form for longer then a month at this point? And my point about him being 25 was that he's unreliable. You mentioned him playing great but due to his age he cannot play great consistanly. Thus he's unreliable for the team.

Pirlo is not even the same type of player to VB, you want to compare Pirlo's passing, vision and skills to VB? In that case VB would be the one that 'sucks'. My point was that Ambo is not a true anchor like VB, he's better playing as the destroyer on the sides, simply because he does not have the positional sense that a DM in the mod of VB does. If we want someone who can truely sub VB, then you have to look at players like Lass Diarra for example. The reason why I said that Ambro is a cross between the VB type of DM and the Rino type of DM is because he has the physicality to impose himself in midfield, but the way he plays makes him more like Rino, ie running around and challenging players, etc. That is definately not the way a true anchor plays.

Oh and everyone sucks compared to Messi...

Thanks for complementing my Ambro dissing skillz btw biggrin.gif
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 8 2011, 03:34 PM) *
Thanks for complementing my Ambro dissing skillz btw biggrin.gif

You're welcome, as usual.

Anywho. Rely on Ambrosini? No, no, no! Stop using that word when we're talking about Ambrosini. I've made clear Ambrosini being (an awesome) backup for Van Bommel (and for another midfield spot). That's not relying on Ambrosini, it's avoiding relying on Van Bommel. Giving us awesome depth.

Pirlo is not the same type of player as Van Bommel, I guess that's true, doesn't change my opinion Van Bommel is a way better midfielder than Pirlo nowadays. What Pirlo does well, he does very well, better than Van Bommel who is decent at that. All the other things Pirlo has become awful in, and has become a liability as midfielder, while Van Bommel is the opposite. It's no coincidence we're doing way better with Van Bommel, and worse with Pirlo. Pirlo is a great passer with great passion, but you need to more to be a good midfielder. Pirlo doesn't got that anymore, unfortunality. Pirlo was actually the kind of midfielder Van Bommel is now, but because Pirlo became awful in so many aspects, not anymore. Now Pirlo can only play LCM, but for that position he misses also some of the right abilities. At least there his screw ups won't affect us as much as playing in front of the defense.

QUOTE (han2503 @ May 8 2011, 03:22 PM) *
The key point there chu being in the past.

This has Pirlo written all over. Pirlo was an amazing Pirlo many years back, after that he has been mediocre for Milan for years. For Azzurri he still has been great for many years, but that didn't help Milan. mad.gif

QUOTE (han2503 @ May 8 2011, 03:34 PM) *
Oh and everyone sucks compared to Messi...

Of course, I just hope you see and understand my point.
han2503
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ May 8 2011, 02:42 PM) *
You're welcome, as usual.

Anywho. Rely on Ambrosini? No, no, no! Stop using that word when we're talking about Ambrosini. I've made clear Ambrosini being (an awesome) backup for Van Bommel (and for another midfield spot). That's not relying on Ambrosini, it's avoiding relying on Van Bommel. Giving us awesome depth.

Pirlo is not the same type of player as Van Bommel, I guess that's true, doesn't change my opinion Van Bommel is a way better midfielder than Pirlo nowadays. What Pirlo does well, he does very well, better than Van Bommel who is decent at that. All the other things Pirlo has become awful in, and has become a liability as midfielder, while Van Bommel is the opposite. It's no coincidence we're doing way better with Van Bommel, and worse with Pirlo. Pirlo is a great passer with great passion, but you need to more to be a good midfielder. Pirlo doesn't got that anymore, unfortunality. Pirlo was actually the kind of midfielder Van Bommel is now, but because Pirlo became awful in so many aspects, not anymore. Now Pirlo can only play LCM, but for that positions he misses also some of the right abilities. At least there his screw up won't affect us as much as playing in front of the defense.

Pirlo only became a liability when he started being played as a DM with no cover. During the great days of our midfield you had Rino covering Pirlo like a body gaurd, therefore all Pirlo had to do was pass the ball around and dictate tempo. The things changed, the way the team played changed, you had Rino and Ambro gallavanting up the pitch like headless chickens and Pirlo left back to do all the defensive work. That was never going to work when Pirlo was never really a defensive player. And why the solution under Allegri was to move Pirlo and Seedorf to the left. To avoid having such an issue occur. Pirlo only really played there when he returned from injury against Palermo where again he was left with all the defensive work to contend with because VB was rested.

Should VB and Pirlo be on the same line-up it would be Pirlo left and VB in front of the defense, which would work great.

Anyway, Pirlo really shouldn't factor into the Ambro discussion he's not a DM.

Looking at our midfield: Van Bommel, Rino, Ambro, Flamini, Seedorf, Pirlo, Urby, Boateng.

We have FOUR DMs!! Which imo is ridiculous and not really needed. Forget about Pirlo, Boateng and the rest, they don't really factor into this, if Pirlo goes then he would need to be replaced with an equally good creative player, and imo that is not something we're going to come by that easily.

Should Rino and Ambro be let go for next season, then we can bring in someone new, like Nocerino for example and keep hold of Strasser. That's a good backup strategy imo. Plus if we do bring in a guy like Lazarri or Cigarini for emample we can always play with 2 physically strong players on the side of VB and push Ganso behind the strikers. Letting go of Rino and Ambro will not be the end of the world, in fact it will be a good step in the right direction for Milan's future.

Also the reason why Pirlo jhas been consistanly great for the Azzurri is because he was never expected to do any defensive work. He usually has De Rossi next to him for that wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.