Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Dirty Side of the Game
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
TriniKing_CE
With the recent surge in discussion over how dirty players / managers are ruining the game.

I decided to open a thread dedicated to this BullSh!t.

Let the exposing begin!
kurtsimonw
It's a complete joke. Football is no longer the beautiful game if this carries on.
dst
I find diving and acting hurt much more resenting than playing a hard and/or defensive game.

But there's no point talking about it... those that can seemingly do not care to do anything to stop it so... learn to like it!
Dracoris
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 29 2011, 07:34 PM) *
I find diving and acting hurt much more resenting than playing a hard and/or defensive game.

But there's no point talking about it... those that can seemingly do not care to do anything to stop it so... learn to like it!

I might have to watch it if I want to watch football, but I never ever have to like it.
servbot
Diving is sometimes difficult to see in real-time from the referree's point of view, so we rarely see bookings for dives. The solution is easy, imo. Leagues just need to review by video after the games, and assess bookings and/or suspensions for dives. It's not difficult. The NBA supersedes in-game referree decision with flagrant fouls and the NFL does this now with head-to-head collisions, so it's not even a new step in the sports world.
TriniKing_CE
Agreed.

Sooner or later technology is going to have to be introduced into the game in order to limit these issues.

EDIT:

Thinking about it now, it's already used on a minimal basis, just not nearly as frequent as it can be used to improve the quality of the game.

An example of this would include Rooney being fined after his game for cursing into the tv camera.
[Okay, not the best example] - but... think about it, the ability to review the events taking place during a game (as well as after it takes place) and enforcing rules whereby punishments (&/or fines) would be given to guilty parties, would definitely be a deterrent.
LaPalma
I agree that dives should be prosecuted after the game. Also, players who try to buy some time by staging their death on the pitch should leave the field for three minutes. That would be great.
Other than that. You can't stop the complaining etc. it's simply human nature.
Danny
Simulation is unnacceptable, unless it's by your own team to gain an advantage. Then it's easily forgotten and forgiven.

The times we object to the nonsense in football is when it either spoils a spectacle of a match, such as el Classico, or when it costs the team we support something.

The ugly side of the game has always been around - whether it was the 70s and 80s with the likes Terry Hurlock, Billy Bremner and Graeme Souness dishing out disgusting tackles which would be criminalised today, or nowadays simulation which is just dishonest.

Without the ugly, you won't appreciate the beautiful game when it's at its best.
TriniKing_CE
Fair point.

A thought also crossed my mind; with so many cameras & video replays now a days, its much more likely for us to see the 'bad of the game' as well, even when it isn't captured in real time, as opposed to in the past, when technology wasn't as prominent maybe.

Still doesn't mean I am for it... just saying.
acid911
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ May 2 2011, 01:10 PM) *
A thought also crossed my mind; with so many cameras & video replays now a days, its much more likely for us to see the 'bad of the game' as well, even when it isn't captured in real time, as opposed to in the past, when technology wasn't as prominent maybe.

HD Football FTW. king.gif It really makes for a different and more detailed viewing of the game, and very much brings out both the good and dirty sides of the players. Totally agreed!
TriniKing_CE
In light of our discussions spurred on by recent events (most prominently) in 'El Classicos'...

I found the following article on FoxSports:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/champio...-martino-050311

As you can imagine (after reading through), I agree with it.
TriniKing_CE
Not that I think Barca is the dirtiest club out there or anything, it's just that, well... with the recent events which have taken place (in which they were involved), and the fact that they are currently one of the most title winning sides in Europe, there are at the forefront for criticism, and as such people are compiling all the video footage on them they can find on youtube etc.

As seen in the following clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJBT7UGO5bw

Now, I would say at least 80% of the calls or lack there of, are pretty blatant from in that video.

It's sad that the game has become so corrupt. I really hope things can be put in place to avoid this sort of rubbish in the coming seasons.

Both refs & players alike need to be punished.

I'm sure too if someone had enough time they can put together a reel of clips for any club getting away with bogus, calls (even our Milan), so it's not to say all this means I am anti-Barca. I aware they are not the only side displaying negative qualities in the game.
Milan Are Brilliant
The truth remains the bigger the club you are the more decisions you get it seems, and there are none bigger than Barca, even though I'm an advocate of luck evens itself out I'm just struggling to see it when it comes to some top-class European teams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.