Milan Are Brilliant
ALEXANDER MERKEL

Full name: Alexander Merkel
Date of birth: February 22, 1992
Place of birth: Pervomayskiy, Kazakhstan
Height: 5 ft 10.5 in (1.79 m)
Position: Midfielder

-----------------------------

Born in Kazakhstan to Russian parents of German ancestry, Merkel moved to Germany with them in 1998, aged 6. There he started playing football with amateur team JSG Westerwald, before joining VfB Stuttgart at the age of 11. In 2008, he moved to Italian side Milan. During his time in the club's youth system, he was a member of the under-20 side who won the Coppa Italia Primavera in 2010, 25 years after the team's last success in the competition.

Merkel received his first call-ups for the senior team during the 2009–10 campaign, but he was never fielded nor named on the bench. At the beginning of the following season, he took part in some pre-season games, putting up good performances. Merkel eventually made his first-team official debut on 8 December 2010, coming off the bench in a UEFA Champions League group stage game against Ajax. A month later, on 6 January 2011, he also made his league debut, figuring in the starting line-up for a match against Cagliari. Merkel went on to score his first professional goal on 20 January, as Milan pulled off a 3–0 win over Bari in the Coppa Italia round of 16.

Source: Wiki

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Jack Sparrow
It's not said nearly enough here...but I insist.. Play Merkel.
dst
Best thread ever!
Jack Sparrow
Yup. The first words Merkel ever spoke was "Prepare for awesomeness"...and he did it in Kazakh, German and Italian.
acid911
biggrin.gif
Jack Sparrow
Merkel didn't mistime that shot when he hit air in the match before the last. Time actually froze due to his sheer talent.
il_diavolo_mtl
I was at work but my friend (juventini) told me that Merkel started in Turin agaisnt Juve and was argualby Genoa's best player having a hand in most of Genoa's buildup and coming close to scoring on some occasions. While i didn't see the game but if anyone did, can you guys maybe shed some light on this, because my firend is usually too proud to admit AC milan have a good youth system that actually produces good players*.

*No Filippo, this is not an invitation to go on a child-bashing tangent tongue.gif
X-Offender
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Oct 23 2011, 01:03 AM) *
I was at work but my friend (juventini) told me that Merkel started in Turin agaisnt Juve and was argualby Genoa's best player having a hand in most of Genoa's buildup and coming close to scoring on some occasions. While i didn't see the game but if anyone did, can you guys maybe shed some light on this, because my firend is usually too proud to admit AC milan have a good youth system that actually produces good players*.

*No Filippo, this is not an invitation to go on a child-bashing tangent tongue.gif

Yep, Merkel had a really good match. He assisted Genoa first goal with a great cross, hit the post with a header and nearly scored another. His style reminded me a lot of Seedorf.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 22 2011, 08:08 PM) *
Yep, Merkel had a really good match. He assisted Genoa first goal with a great cross, hit the post with a header and nearly scored another. His style reminded me a lot of Seedorf.

I havn't watched alot of genoa games but has he been consistent for them? i know he wasn't a starter at he beginning of the year, but it would be nice to have him on the bench next year if he has made big strides this season.
X-Offender
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Oct 23 2011, 07:04 PM) *
I havn't watched alot of genoa games but has he been consistent for them? i know he wasn't a starter at he beginning of the year, but it would be nice to have him on the bench next year if he has made big strides this season.

No, I don't think he's had much play time. Malesani has preferred Jorquera up to this point as AM, with Kucka, Veloso and Constant completing the midfield.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 23 2011, 02:33 PM) *
No, I don't think he's had much play time. Malesani has preferred Jorquera up to this point as AM, with Kucka, Veloso and Constant completing the midfield.

all 3 mids have been disappointing though thus far in the season, so maybe Merkel will see him chances increased... smile.gif
Jack Bauer
Assisted Genoa's winner (2-1) on 89 min vs Roma.
acid911
Ah, good old Merkel. king.gif Anyone that assists against Roma is a winner, anyway. Nice to see him grow!
TriniKing_CE
In light of us bringing him back to the San Siro.

Here are some highlights of Merkel vs. Juventus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06P5n8iU1sc

wink.gif devil.gif
Jack Sparrow
Play Merkel.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 18 2012, 01:38 AM) *
Play Merkel.

laugh.gif
William405
Merkel – Milan’s midfield saviour?

Scott Fleming suggests that Alexander Merkel can solve Milan’s creativity crisis, but only if he’s played in the correct position.

A year ago tomorrow 18-year-old Alexander Merkel scored his first professional goal, on his second Milan start, against Bari at San Siro in the last 16 of the Coppa Italia. Last night Merkel, now 19, appeared for the same team at the same venue in the same round of the same competition, with Novara the opponents.

The two performances, 363 days apart, were very different however, and not in the way you might expect. Against Bari he was assured, audacious and at the heart of all Milan’s attacking manoeuvres, scoring with a rasping left foot shot and providing a perfectly weighted assist for Robinho. Against Novara he was muted and somewhat unsure of himself, dilly-dallying on the ball and rarely venturing anywhere near the opposition box.

Shouldn’t that be the other way around? Last January he was virtually unknown and very raw, now he’s a year older and fresh from half a season of first team football at Genoa.

An explanation could lie in the circumstances of Merkel’s abrupt and unscheduled return to Milanello. Milan are in the midst of a creativity crisis. Kevin Prince Boateng, Alberto Aquilani and Antonio Cassano, the men responsible for 16 of the club’s 24 assists in Serie A this season, are all unavailable to Massimiliano Allegri, the former duo for a month, the latter for anything up to six months as he convalesces from serious illness.

The Rossoneri failed to convert 66 per cent possession into a single clear-cut goal scoring opportunity in Sunday night’s Derby della Madonnina. Earlier that day Merkel shone as Genoa ran out 3-2 winners over Udinese. For Adriano Galliani the solution was obvious and on Tuesday, just over six months after selling half of Merkel’s contract to Genoa, he persuaded the Rossoblu to give the boy back on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Having been born in Kazakhstan to Russian speaking parents, moved to Germany aged six, and then on to Italy aged 16 when Milan nabbed him from Stuttgart in 2008, such to-ing and fro-ing is nothing new for the teen, and neither is being fought over, the federations of Russia, Germany, Kazakhstan and even Belarus have been squabbling over his eligibility for years now.

The question is whether his return is a low cost quick fix for the Diavolo or a genuine expression of faith in one of their most precious youngsters. Much depends on his deployment. “Merkel proved that he is an important player,” Allegri declared last night, but it was a generous assessment. The difference between Merkel and the player he swapped places with in the summer, Stephan El Shaarawy, was night and day.

Playing on the right hand side of Milan’s midfield three seemed to sap the exuberance from the German Under-20 international, just as it did Boateng in the derby. Merkel’s characteristics are surely better suited to the trequartista role, and with Boateng injured and converted left-back Urby Emanuelson looking so out of place in the position behind the strikers, there doesn’t seem to be any reason not to play him there.

Barring a change of formation by Allegri, it’s arguably the best solution for everyone involved at a difficult and decisive stage of the season, with so many players missing and important fixtures in Serie A, the Coppa and the Champions League rapidly approaching.

Play to his strengths and Merkel could be a revelation, play him as a square peg in a round hole then discard him when others recover from injury, and you risk setting his progression back years.
Jack Bauer
The latest addition to our injury list with sprained left knee dry.gif
X-Offender
Fit at Genoa, comes to Milan, sprained left knee.

han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 27 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Fit at Genoa, comes to Milan, sprained left knee.

I'm sure it's Pato's fault, he probably infected him with the injury bug happy.gif innocent.gif
Jack Bauer
Merkel is out for a month at least, probably more. We now have 6 mids injured sad.gif

kurtsimonw
Is he the 1st Kazak ever to play for Milan? I'm assuming he is.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 27 2012, 12:42 PM) *
I'm sure it's Pato's fault, he probably infected him with the injury bug happy.gif innocent.gif

Or maybe it's Milan's fault. huh.gif

Maybe they're the one spreading the so called bug. huh.gif
han2503
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Jan 28 2012, 12:34 AM) *
Or maybe it's Milan's fault. huh.gif

Maybe they're the one spreading the so called bug. huh.gif

My point was sarcastic seeing as when Pato got injured you'd think he bashed himself with a hammer repeatedly to get injured based on the oppinion of some on this forum.

Our medical staff simply has to answer to all these injuries, it's gone beyond a crises at this point.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 27 2012, 07:43 PM) *
My point was sarcastic

As was mine... wink.gif
han2503
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Jan 28 2012, 02:29 AM) *
As was mine... wink.gif

The huh.gif smileys put off my sarcasm radar biggrin.gif
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 28 2012, 12:43 AM) *
Our medical staff simply has to answer to all these injuries, it's gone beyond a crises at this point.

Yet no-one seems to care or raise their voice about it. sleep.gif
Jack Sparrow
There are two aspects to physical fitness. The medicos and the physios can to some extent take the blame...and even though I hate doing this, a large onus of physical conditioning also rests on the coaching staff.

I don't recall things being this bad under Carlo (once again I hate doing this). So I must start to suspect if Allegri's training methods are perhaps a bit too rough. Maybe he's not focusing enough on conditioning in his training. Hence all these muscular injuries.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 29 2012, 01:15 PM) *
Yet no-one seems to care or raise their voice about it. sleep.gif

Raising their voice? Galliani did say something about it sometime during the first half of this season IIRC.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 29 2012, 11:44 AM) *
Raising their voice? Galliani did say something about it sometime during the first half of this season IIRC.

And things have gotten even worse since then. dry.gif
Jack Bauer
MILAN - The club wishes to communicate that test done on Alexander Merkel have revealed ligament problems with his right knee and the player is expected to be out for up to 8 weeks.

dry.gif
TriniKing_CE
X-Offender
Maybe we shouldn't have brought him back at all. rolleyes.gif
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 29 2012, 11:45 PM) *
Maybe we shouldn't have brought him back at all. rolleyes.gif

Who would bet that he wouldn't be injured had that been the case?

And people talk about Pato... We now have half of our first team out for 1 to 2 months
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 30 2012, 02:06 PM) *
And people talk about Pato... We now have half of our first team out for 1 to 2 months

Yeah, but Pato gets injured even when all the squad is fit and there's no injury crisis. wink.gif
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 30 2012, 03:00 PM) *
Yeah, but Pato gets injured even when all the squad is fit and there's no injury crisis. wink.gif

I don't think we've had a fully fit squad in years, and not just because of Pato. Even so, Pato hasn't always been injury prone and that is the biggest point in all of this. And when you have a player who's at risk of getting injured more than others, what you don't need is an incompetent medical team.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 30 2012, 03:53 PM) *
I don't think we've had a fully fit squad in years, and not just because of Pato. Even so, Pato hasn't always been injury prone and that is the biggest point in all of this. And when you have a player who's at risk of getting injured more than others, what you don't need is an incompetent medical team.

We usually have a fully fit squad from October to December. It was the same last year as well. It's in September and January/February that injuries hit us bad.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 30 2012, 11:41 PM) *
We usually have a fully fit squad from October to December. It was the same last year as well. It's in September and January/February that injuries hit us bad.

We haven't had that this season, and I don't remember having it last season either.

Also, even when we can see such a pattern which has formed in recent years, than surely they must be doing something bad in the training regiment, physio, or just plain not recovering correctly from previous injuries
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 31 2012, 10:16 AM) *
We haven't had that this season, and I don't remember having it last season either.

huh.gif
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2012, 11:13 AM) *
huh.gif

A fully fit squad with zero injuries
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 31 2012, 01:35 PM) *
A fully fit squad with zero injuries

No team has ever a fully fit squad with zero injuries for three months straight.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2012, 04:24 PM) *
No team has ever a fully fit squad with zero injuries for three months straight.

I'm not even saying 3 months straight, but at least a month where our first 11 is completely available, it's not too much to ask! When was it that we had that particular luxery?
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 31 2012, 04:39 PM) *
I'm not even saying 3 months straight, but at least a month where our first 11 is completely available, it's not too much to ask! When was it that we had that particular luxery?

I already said, October-December of this and last season. We could always field a top quality starting 11.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 31 2012, 11:17 PM) *
I already said, October-December of this and last season. We could always field a top quality starting 11.

There is always one or 2 top players out. Sure we can still switch things around without losing too much quality, especially in attack. Also, this season we haven't really had a break in injuries, if it's not Nesta, it's Mexes injured, Abate, a player who last season was basically fit throughout, Cassano, Flamini, Robinho, Seedorf, VB, now Aqui, Boateng, Pato, Abbiati for a while there kept getting injured.

It's just too much and not normal.
KillerMax
Kid had talent but never stepped up! He is a full Genoa player now. Move please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.